Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos (19028 Views)

Fashola, Tinubu And Oba Akiolu Observe Eid Prayer (Photo) / Video Of Jonathan Working Out In A Gym / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by NeoXVI: 3:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
Governor Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos

A pricey video recently released by the Lagos State government touting the state capital, Lagos, as a megacity has been described by various critics as “a myth,” “sheer fantasy,” and “a series of false representations.”

The video, which is available on youtube, offers a spruced up, non-existent image of Lagos as a safe city that – in the words of Governor Babatunde Fashola – anybody “would like to call home.” The video ostensibly made by the Lagos Internal Revenue Service also feautured the former governor of Lagos, Bola Tinubu, whose Alpha Beta tax collection company reportedly makes billions of unearned income from the state coffers on a monthly basis.

The video presents a glitzy and glamorous portrait of the city of Lagos that is at odds with the experience of the vast majority of the millions of residents. A Lagos-based businessman told SaharaReporters that “most Lagosians can’t recognize the Lagos in this video.” He added that, while Mr. Fashola has done a commendable job in cleaning up parts of the city and building some roads, “It is farfetched to claim that Lagos works as a modern city should work.”

A Lagos-based lawyer pointed out that the video gives a rosy picture of the sharp rise in internally generated revenues in Lagos State, “but ignores the fact that there’s no transparency and little accountability in the process.” He added that it was common knowledge that former Governor Bola Tinubu “is fattening his pocket daily by keeping a big chunk of these revenues.”

Another critic wondered why the video failed to focus on the neglected slums of the city as well as the plight of millions of Lagosians who reside in shanty sections that lack the most basic sanitary facilities. “Where are the real residents of Lagos who live next to open and overflowing gutters, whose children go to schools that are not fit for cockroaches, and who have to travel in overcrowded molue buses?” she asked. “Let us hear the voices of the teeming millions of Lagosians stating that their city is Eldorado on earth. Then I will take the video seriously,” she added.

“I am not saying that Governor Fashola is not trying, but this video of a clean Lagos filled with music, smooth traffic, and recreational amenities is pure fiction,” a Lagos-based writer told SaharaReporters.

http://saharareporters.com/video/governor-fashola-releases-fantasy-video-lagos-city-most-lagosians-have-never-seen

LAGOS, AFRICA's BIG APPLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YiOvZuzAg

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by NeoXVI: 3:59pm On Jun 14, 2013
When will Tinubu take his hands out of the coffers of Lagos State? Has he not eaten enough already? Haba!

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by begwong: 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
ok
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
'FANTASY' BEING THE OPERATIVE WORD
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by ebamma3: 4:20pm On Jun 14, 2013
.if lagos state is not safe as the article implies why then is that
50percent of multinational company headquarters are based there
70percent of companies in nigeria have their headquarters there
60percent of nollywood actors and nigerian musicians live there
and almost 10million people live there?

26 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by OAM4J: 4:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
I think the video is true and real.

12 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by mithel(m): 4:21pm On Jun 14, 2013
i swear even if i know the video isnt well......u know the lagos we know, but still e dey totori my belle grin grin

i swear we don gba tourists finish , nice one we need more of this kind of promotion for Nigeria.

like this if you know the vid na lie, but still it totori ur belle grin grin

eko o ni baje o

20 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by jericco1(m): 4:22pm On Jun 14, 2013
I'll be back
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by kkkp: 4:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
Man with mission and vision...unlike those pdp pen robbers

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by ocheejemb: 4:24pm On Jun 14, 2013
Its a promo vid to invite tourists and investors to Lagos. You want them to show traffic and slums? Are you not a dumb fûck?

8 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by lafuria1(m): 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2013
i no see makoko o but i really love the vid, i can show my friends that hey thats lagos for you. i wont be superise if labaran maku and pdp release their vid nextweek too

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 14, 2013
I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.....good idea but i think Lagos should be Lagos..simple, not Africa Big apple.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
Omo e dey totori my belle as well o

Lagos looking like Miami

Eko can nevere vere baje...lai lai

7 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by guvna(m): 4:29pm On Jun 14, 2013
Absolute Fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2013
jackbauersballs: Omo e dey totori my belle as well o

Lagos looking like Miami

Eko can nevere vere baje...lai lai

Which Miami? Abeg calm down jorrrrrrrr lol

@nice video

1 Like

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by pappilo(m): 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
ebamma 3: .if lagos state is not safe as the article implies why then is that
50percent of multinational company headquarters are based there
70percent of companies in nigeria have their headquarters there
60percent of nollywood actors and nigerian musicians live there
and almost 10million people live there?

The same reason 23 million people live in Syria and 7 million live in Baghdad. Hell, millions of people live in Somalia.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
The video is very real, cmon guys

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
There is an adage that says if you can see it,you can do it.for the mere fact that your mind conceived it,it is very possible moreover nothing is impossible.even the word itself says i'mpossible

i believe in the lagos dream though afterall who would ever believe a black man can ever be the president of america.as of that time it beat logic and sound rationale that a black man will win over a rich white man,so lets have the audacity to hope for a better lagos.by the way who would ever believe that oshodi that used to be the home of all kinds of miscreants could become something else.lets not think small.lets think big against all odds.dreams dont die,you know,it lives on

11 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 14, 2013
guvna: Absolute Fantasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shut up before I break your leg lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by martyns303(m): 4:34pm On Jun 14, 2013
I swear Lagos is the ISH. Imagine the concept, everything reflects excellence, these are the kinda stuffs people see and flock to lagos. I was at Or Tambo last month and the only place this American knows in Nigeria is Lagos, not even Abuja, his friend ended up saying "u can be anytin in Lagos, the place is filled with so much energy" ofcourse I told the guy am from Lagos (tho am not) grin who no like better thing.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by realitychick: 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
Lagos is yet to attain this level,,,this is Vision 2050,they know the people they want to impress with this Video, not the common man on the street.Abeg Everybody do your own thing the best you can, Dont stay and wait for the so - called goverment that dont even knw you Exist.
Why did they not put Some LGA"s and LCDA,in the video,those are the things that make up Lagos as a state.
EJIGBO for example.
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by 234GT(m): 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
To Fashola and Tinubu, Makoko and the other slums are not in Lagos state. They belong to Lagoon state
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by playcharles(m): 4:37pm On Jun 14, 2013
i was expectin to see aerial VIEW OF THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE, FOCUSING ON RIGHT MID AXIS OF THE BRIDGE, WITH 320MP ZOOM IN of makoko mega city project... well nice one, Eko o ni baje...o baje ti
Haters and critics of Lagos, beneath is a picture of Gov Fashola master plan for Makoko environment.... grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy kiss

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by fankasibe: 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2013
THE LOCATIONS SHOWN IN THIS VIDEO ARE ALL HERE IN KWARA STATE (the most peacefull state on earth)
FASHOLA had better wake up from his fantacies grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2013
It's an advert and adverts are not meant to show the bad parts of a city. You have to show your best parts in order to attract intending tourists and business men. I see nothing wrong with it. Isn't that what a lot of other countries and cities do on CNN, giving us the impression that their countries are heaven on earth.

16 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Goodcare(m): 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
o.k ooooh
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
234GT: To Fashola and Tinubu, Makoko and the other slums are not in Lagos state. They belong to Lagoon state
inform the local government authorities in your area.fashola cannot be everywhere and solve all of lagos problems,he is not a super man,that is why we have 57 local governments in lagos state.2o constitutionally recognized and 37 lcda's

5 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by ocheejemb: 4:45pm On Jun 14, 2013
This article is in very poor taste. Very poor, one would expect better from Sahara but well, they are Sahara.

This is a promo video, and advert for Lagos. All the places shown are in Lagos not London or New York or your village. Lagos is progressing, 50+ years of infrastructure decay on the one hand, and organic population growth on the other hand cannot be overcome in one day or even a few years, but Lagos is trying to overcome this, meething these challenges head on.

Lagos is a city that one-tenth of Nigeria's population calls home, it is indeed one of the safest places in the country (as unsafe as it may be), and it is a place that with the right amount of funds anybody would love love love to call home.

Yes, Lagos has slums, traffic and a shît load of other problems, Fashola and Tinubu did not cause these problems, Fashola is actively trying to fix them the way no other governor before him has. It would be stupid, in trying to increase revenue by wooing tourists and investors, to show them the slums of Lagos. Are they being invited to experience the slums or the splendour of Lagos?

26 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
reality.chick:
Lagos is yet to attain this level,,,this is Vision 2050,they know the people they want to impress with this Video, not the common man on the street.Abeg Everybody do your own thing the best you can, Dont stay and wait for the so - called goverment that dont even knw you Exist.
Why did they not put Some LGA"s and LCDA,in the video,those are the things that make up Lagos as a state.
EJIGBO for example.
a thousand miles begin with a step.even the sky scrappers that we have today first started with a picture that seemed unrealistic as of that time.lets learn to think big and be optimistic

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by Koolking(m): 4:46pm On Jun 14, 2013
Neo-XVI:
“I am not saying that Governor Fashola is not trying, but this video of a clean Lagos filled with music, smooth traffic, and recreational amenities is pure fiction,” a Lagos-based writer told SaharaReporters.[/b]

That's what it is. Growth and development in Nigeria is best picture on paper and motion pictures. An intelligent school leaver can put up a 'wow' video of his future community. How does that translate to access to opportunity and respite for the people. 2015 is just a shouting distance away, it's time to influence the minds of the people with all sort of gimmicks. All these over-hyped politicians can fool somebody but not everybody all the time. Woe to he who still believes in the Nigerian politicians and leaders.

I see, the topic mentioned of 'fantasy video'. Why was I wasting my time
Re: Fashola Releases Fantasy Video Of Lagos by nairalforlaughs: 4:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
kulyie

Lets have the audacity to hope for a better lagos.

And NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Attempt To Kidnap Yar’Adua’s Daughter Thwarted By SSS / Salaries: Rivers' Assembly Dares Amaechi, Summons Nine Aides / Court Authorizes EFCC’s To Seize Tompolo’s Properties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.