Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive (1319 Views)

My Experience With Android Phones So Far (photos) / (POLL) Nokia Goes Android With The N1: Has Your Dream Come True? / Nokia Goes To Court With HTC Over 32 Patents. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 5:23am On Jun 15, 2013

At Computex, Acer hinted that they might be releasing a Windows Phone 8 model in the first half of next year. Acer's vice president for the EMEA region, Allen Burnes, subsequently said that building an Acer branded Windows Phone 8 model isnot inthe cardsright now. The executive said that sales and volume are important to Acer, andAndroid provides the results that the company wants. Burnes basically said that Windows Phone needs to grow and that it is up to Microsoft, not Acer, to get the platform through the growing pains it is bound to experience.
What the Acer executive said about Finnish handset manufacturer Nokia is quite interesting, though. According to Burnes, Nokia is beingheld backby having to build their own brand as well as Windows Phone. Hegoes on to add that if Nokia decided to drop Windows Phone for Android, the OEM would be"dangerous" in the Android market.
Moving back to Acer's decision to stick with Android for now, Burnes says that Acer is not happy with the idea of having users pay for apps on Windows Phone that they can getfor free on Android. But an Acer branded Windows Phone model will eventually come. "We're expecting Microsoft to do some more consumer-related advertising about its OS, I think as the pull comes, we'll deploy with the handsets because the OS is good," said Burnes. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Acer-executive-If-Nokia-goes-with-Android-theyd-be-a-force-to-be-reckoned-with_id44075
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121757-acer-holding-off-windows-phone-8-handsets-until-microsoft-can-build-momentum
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 15, 2013
Imagine nokia lumia 920 running andriod 4.2.2 jelly bean with special UI that is as beautiful as windows own! Samsung will shift production 4rm fone to chipset! Just like blackberry 4rm fone to im! grin
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Youngpo413: 7:06am On Jun 15, 2013
runzlord: Imagine nokia lumia 920 running andriod 4.2.2 jelly bean with special UI that is as beautiful as windows own! Samsung will shift production 4rm fone to chipset! Just like blackberry 4rm fone to im! grin

very true,but i'm always wondering what stops nokia from going for android Os and uptil now I can't find a perfect answer,but nokia don fall plenty people hand sha,anyway only time will tell.
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by lexrichy(m): 7:12am On Jun 15, 2013
Young po413:

very true,but i'm always wondering what stops nokia from going for android Os and uptil now I can't find a perfect answer,but nokia don fall plenty people hand sha,anyway only time will tell.
pride.
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by jmaine: 8:51am On Jun 15, 2013
lexrichy: pride.

Very naive of you . . . Its simply one word ==== Differentiation in the global mobile arena
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2013
If nokia makes and android phone, then i will definitely get that
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Bawss1(m): 8:58am On Jun 15, 2013
What pride? Have you stopped to think about the number of OEMs out there on the android platform? How many of them report significant profit? How would Nokia survive in an already over crowded space where the likes of Sony, LG and HTC, all behemoths in the industry, are not finding it easy?

Windows Phone 8 was a good choice for Nokia and consumers; something different from the pack and so far profitable too. Compared to other platforms it is seeing good adoption rates even though it currently has a lower market share now.
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by 3ace(m): 9:27am On Jun 15, 2013
I'm not sure if it's cost-effective but can't they run both OS at the same time so that those people can choose either Android or Windows on a Nokia phone.

1 Like

Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by lexrichy(m): 10:41am On Jun 15, 2013
3ace: I'm not sure if it's cost-effective but can't they run both OS at the same time so that those people can choose either Android or Windows on a Nokia phone.
d most reasonable post here.

2 Likes

Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Bawss1(m): 2:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
3ace: I'm not sure if it's cost-effective but can't they run both OS at the same time so that those people can choose either Android or Windows on a Nokia phone.

You mean like the way Samsung runs both Android and WP8 (halfheartedly)? In Samsung's case they have established themselves solidly with Android and promote it everywhere, meanwhile the WP8 models in their line up barely get a mention. It won't make any sense for Nokia to go down that route, there is more potential for them with WP8 than any other platform ATM. They are indeed witnessing increasing growth and profit with WP8, why should they risk that by going with a platform where their chances of success are uncertain?

1 Like

Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2013
lexrichy: pride.
its not pride! Its beign diffrent and as 4 me, i lyk it! Windows 8 needs more apps thats just it! And windows maybe toping soon! I can do anything for a lumia o! But cant do anything 4 a galaxy

anoda reason shuld be seniority! Its diffrent 4rm pride cos u dont expect nokia to be draging driod with tecno and orther devices that re unknown(we have over 15 not pupular andriod fone makers)
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2013
If that iphone leaked pics(un certain news) could make fp why cant this one (certain news) make fp?
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by jedisco(m): 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2013
I think this issue has been over-flogged. Its been said severally, if you want a Nokia phone then get a Lumia cos Nokia ain't making android phones no time soon.

well I came across a post on another site not to long ago that best summarizes this whole stuff.
Here it is:

"It’s always easier said than done. In my opinion it was one of the best corporate decisions to go solely with Windows Phone. By doing that Nokia managed to cut down considerable costs of software development. Besides, if Nokia would have gone with Android they wouldn’t only have lost the bail-out deal of cool $1.0 Billion per annum from Microsoft but they would have been paying $14 per Android phone shipped. And that could have been the curtains for a great tech giant.

Adding to that financial concerns and feasibility wasn’t the only reason. Creating differentiation and a whole new market with a distinct OS was also their goal as Android market was already getting saturated and fragmented. Personally, I think that Lumias are build for Windows Phone and I can’t even imagine a Lumia running Android. It shouldn’t just happen. Feels weird and bizarre.

Having said that, MS needs to shift the gears quickly as they are holding Nokia back with their not-so-fast software updates. Moreover, Windows Phone might not be taking over the smartphone market by storm but it is gaining the much needed momentum and is doing fine to keep Nokia up and running"

3 Likes

Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by mrdrizzy(m): 7:58pm On Jun 15, 2013
Ohboy if such thing happen,that would be the best thing that can ever happen to smartfone..imagine awesome pixel quality+carl zeius crisp camera+powerful hardware+long duration ba3+jellybean 4.2 all in one fone..omg,dey are so ryt,it would be super dangerous
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Bawss1(m): 8:30pm On Jun 15, 2013
^
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by okgerald(m): 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2013
What nokia needs to do is make dual sim windows phone. Then i would switch to windows mobile sharply.
Re: If Nokia Goes With Android, They'd Be 'dangerous' - Acer Executive by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 16, 2013
ok.gerald:
What nokia needs to do is make dual sim windows phone. Then i would switch to windows mobile sharply.
na wa 4 u o. Why nt just buy 1 lumia 1 touch lite?

(1) (Reply)

Instagram For Windows Phone 8 Coming Soon!!! / Does Bold 5 Have Wifi Hotspot ? / The Difference Between Iphone 6 And Iphone 6 Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.