Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,379 members, 7,800,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Can One De-register A Domain Name? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can One De-register A Domain Name? (4161 Views)

Very Urgent! Please Nairalanders Where Can I Register A Domain Name In Ph / How Can I Register A .gov.ng Domain / How To Register A Domain Name Free And Host It Free For Life With Email Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One De-register A Domain Name? by phantomcat(m): 2:14pm On May 19, 2006
Deregistring A Domain Name. Is It Possible?

I want to remove a domain name from the net. Is this possible?
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by my2cents(m): 4:49am On May 20, 2006
I don't think there is a way, per se, to "deregister" a domain name. The way I understand it(please if you know otherwise, do chip in and make me stand corrected grin):

1) When you register a domain, it is usually for a certain amount of time

2) When that time comes, the name is up for renewal at which time you cd cancel and the name goes away

3) If before that time comes, u either don't pay the monthly fee (in the US) or you cancel your account with the hosting company, the name doesn't go away, but you lose access to the site and users get the "page not found" error when they try to pull up the site.

I hope this helps
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by Afam(m): 10:06am On May 20, 2006
You cannot deregister a domain name. Domain names are usually renewable every 12 months.

After the expiration, it goes into what they call redemption period where only the owner can recover it at an additional fee, if after the redemption period the domain name isn't renewed, it is released to the public and anyone can then pick it up.

If you don't want a registered domain name to be useful, simply point it to a non existent page and all call to the domain name presents a blank page or page not found page.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by kazey(m): 4:21am On May 21, 2006
You can delete a domain within the first 3 days of its registration, or refuse to renew it when it expires.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by phantomcat(m): 5:26pm On May 21, 2006
Thanks guys i guess i will just av to allow iot lie till it expires. props to u my2cents.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by Afam(m): 9:04pm On May 21, 2006
Hi Kazey,

Could you please provide more information on how you can delete a registered domain name.

I will like to know this. I am sure the issue of losing the money spent on registering the domain name is a sure banker as no registrant will refund you any money spent on domain name registration.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by larger20(m): 2:32pm On May 22, 2006
oo
oo
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by phantomcat(m): 5:03pm On May 22, 2006
guy abeg what would it take to do it i am open to all ideas.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by smartsoft(m): 2:01pm On May 23, 2006
Well i know you can delete domains you register that same day or the next day,

1. Domainpeople.com
2. register.com
3. yahoo.com
4. Planetdomain
5. Aplus.net( I'm not sure about this Company, but they do such things like that which i know of before
6. namecheap
7. hostway

This are list of Domain registra that does that !
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by kazey(m): 2:04pm On May 23, 2006
If the domain is registered with our sister company http://wwwSemuadomain.com for example, you lose about 50% of the money. If you delete it, the first 3 days of the registration. You can do that from the panel.
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by smartsoft(m): 7:49pm On May 23, 2006
Ya depends on the Panel !
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by salviya: 12:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
Try this site http://www.xnynz.com/ to remove the domain and also get the web hosting,domain name register, domain appraisal, online file folder, ssl certificate etc,
Re: Can One De-register A Domain Name? by teemy(m): 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2011
You can do either of the following:

1. Sell it at any domain name auction site such as sedo.com
2. Let it expire on its own in due time
3. Park it
4. Upload a simple page for the site stating something like 'Site Not Available' if you have it hosted.

One of these options should handle your case

(1) (Reply)

Easiest Way To Hack A Cafe / Need A Website For Your Dropshipping Business Click Here. / NAIJA LOADED HACKED!!! (next Gen Laughs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.