Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency (1753 Views)

Samuel Ogbemudia Dumps PDP / Patience Jonathan & Aisha Buhari Battle On Who Will Use Ogbemudia Stadium In Edo / Why Has The IMF Urged The Nigerian Government To Remove Fuel Subsidy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 16, 2013
Dr Samuel Ogbemudia,  a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees, is an old war horse in politics. The time- two former governor of the old Bendel State has been abroad for medical check-up and broke his silence on political issues to Sunday Vanguard last Wednesday. While declaring the support of the leaders of the South-south for second term for President Goodluck Jonathan, the former military tactician explained why the North is not entitled to the presidency until 2027.
And contrary to the statement by the PDP that Governor Adams Oshiomhole begged to join the party prior to the 2007 and 2012 governorship election in Edo State, Ogbemudia disclosed how he led some PDP leaders to appeal to Oshiomhole to join the party, but the plea was turned down by the former labour leader. He spoke on other national issues.
Excerpts:

While you were away, Nigeria celebrated Democracy Day. How do you assess our democracy so far?

The assessment one can give is that it has been smooth, in the sense that everyone in Nigeria today appreciates democracy. Democracy means freedom, but freedom has its own obligations. I am enjoying democracy. We have made tremendous progress.

But Nigerians are worried that despite our resources, government is unable to give us steady power supply and employment opportunities for the youths among other basic things?

Yes, those who are worried are people who do not know the problems government faces. To lay one line that will carry eleven KVA from Delta to Sokoto or Maiduguri costs fortunes, and it is more than anything a state can produce. So one must first of all appreciate the enormity of the problems facing the Federal Government and then try to encourage it to do more. I know that the purpose of opposition is to pressurize the government to do more, but sometimes they get it wrong. Once in a while, they should say, ’Yes, the President is trying in some areas but can do more’; that will encourage him.

Nigeria Governors Forum crisis

The Governors Forum, according to experts, is not in the Constitution, but, as far as I am concerned, whether it is in the Constitution or not, it has come to stay. When five people come together to form a group, it may not be in the Constitution but they feel it is the right thing. The governors are the custodians of the democratic votes, they are the ones running the states, they are supposed to be the chief security officers of their states. So if you want their cooperation, you implore them to help you, talk to them like brothers, talk to them like friends, talk in a way that will encourage them to help you the more. But if anybody has succeeded in intimidating someone to do what he likes, I don’t think the Governors Forum is the one that can be intimidated to do what game they want them to play. So it is through negotiation, Nigeria has developed a language called dialogue, so they should dialogue.  The President should be the arbiter, he should not support any one. He should call the two warring factions together and settle the problem. I expect the President to settle the issues so that the governors don’t break into factions,  otherwise the 2015 elections will not be smooth.

General Ogbemudia
What is your position on Chief Tony Anenih’s call for automatic ticket to PDP governors and the President?

Well Tony Anenih has spoken his mind. It is left for the electorate in each state to decide whether the governor has performed to deserve a return ticket. You cannot come from Edo State to tell the man in Kaura Namoda that his governor has done well. He will not believe you if he has not performed well.

State of emergency in three states

I think the logical conclusion is that the state of emergency is necessary. But my personal view is that if the governors have been allowed to perform their functions as chief security officers, there would not have been need for the state of emergency. They don’t have the apparatus available to the Federal Government, if the Federal Government had allowed the governors to do their jobs and given them all the facilities they needed, this emergency would have been unnecessary. So I expect the Federal Government to allow the governors to function effectively as the chief security officers of their state after the emergency. The governors should get all the powers that accompany being their respective states chief security officers.

But some people attribute the insurgency to the tussle for the 2015 presidency between the North and the South.

My view is that we in the South-south want Jonathan to continue in power beyond 2015. The North is equally interested in the presidency. We should sit down and talk. If we talk, four years will not do any harm to anybody; the matter can be resolved. The South-west came in, in 1999 and served for eight years. The South-south should also do eight years. And the truth is that the South-east is also entitled to the presidency when the South-south must have finished its eight years.

Does that mean North should not think about power returning to them until sometime around 2027?

Absolutely

Message to Nigerians

We have come a long way from 1914 to 2013;  during those years, we passed through thick and thin and the lesson that we ought to have learnt is that we needed to work together as a team with all hands on deck to achieve our ultimate goal. It is still not late, the people should cooperate with the government of the day, four years in the life of a nation is nothing, but, in the life of a person, it means a lot. For this nation to survive, we all need to put all hands on deck and we should all support the government of the day.

Back to Edo, you have been passionate about a Benin man becoming the governor after Oshiomhole. Is that where you still stand?

I belong to the group that strongly supports the Benin agenda, I also belong to the group that wants the candidate picked on merit to serve at Osadebey Avenue, to continue the good job Oshiomhole has done. So if a Benin man is the one that will do it, so be it. But all Binis are interested and want a Benin man to be the next governor because they think they are not receiving their due share, they are being marginalized and I hold the same opinion and we should meet and again talk at a round table, there will be no hidden agenda.

Your party, the PDP, has been in trouble in the hands of the Adams Oshiomhole- led ACN in the state. What is the way forward for the party?

The PDP requires no advice now because they already know that united they stand, divided they remain where they are. So they are working towards bringing everybody on board. That is why I led a delegation of Senator Oyofo, Dr Willie Ogbeide and three others to persuade Oshiomhole to come to PDP and he told us that if he joined PDP, his friends in the media will kill him.

I was therefore embarrassed when I heard that the PDP said he came to them and they rejected him. The answer to the PDP challenge in Edo lies in the leaders coming together, embrace internal democracy and re-organize their management of victory.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/presidency-why-north-should-wait-till-2027-by-ogbemudia/
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by DrSadikMagaji(m): 9:04am On Jun 16, 2013
Old fool,political animal

1 Like

Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 16, 2013
Dr Sadik Magaji: Old fool,political animal

Are you angered? Ur outburst shows who the real fool is. U think power belongs to the north? See how evil ur minds are over there in the north cos some of u know nothing but power and voilence.

6 Likes

Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Gamji007: 11:40am On Jun 16, 2013
kaorama:

Are you angered? Ur outburst shows who the real fool is. U think power belongs to the north? See how evil ur minds are over there in the north cos some of u know nothing but power and voilence.

And you think power belong to the SS/SE? Quit being hypocritical. The fool did not say GEJ should be re-elected because of his achievements,but because he's from the south south.

Also,going by his calculations,when power shifts to the north,we shall have 8 years each for the NW,NC and NE,making 24 years. Maybe an additional zone called North-North will be created in the process! angry

When will Nigerians grow up and start choosing leaders based on competence?

3 Likes

Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Kassidy4luv(m): 11:40am On Jun 16, 2013
Must a Northerner rule Nigeria?........... Dis guys tinks we are still in d military era, were d likes of IBB, ABACHA, Buhari manned d leadership saddle of dis forceful marrige called Nigeria? What did U set of guys achieved dat av made Nigeria great!!! Ndi ara, make una come rule us again!!!
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Richiez(m): 12:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
Ogbemudia is the current chairman of the governing council of uniabuja, personally I think if he can successfully end the plights of the engineering students in the school without further protests, then he is one resourceful politician that we all should watchout for
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by asorocker: 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2013
Gamji007:

And you think power belong to the SS/SE? Quit being hypocritical. The fool did not say GEJ should be re-elected because of his achievements,but because he's from the south south.

Also,going by his calculations,when power shifts to the north,we shall have 8 years each for the NW,NC and NE,making 24 years. Maybe an additional zone called North-North will be created in the process! angry

if only you had checked , you would have realized that the North ruled Nigeria for 39 years while the south has only ruled for 14 years out of 53 years.

While the North ruled with military the south ruled mostly with Civilians
Based on competency and credentials i really do not think the North has more credible presidential materials than the South , particularly the South East.

If Nigerians do not want a sovereign National conference and a reduction of power at the center and a devolution of more powers to the region this sort of foolish agitation will continue and guess the people who are fighting against devolution of more powers to the region and the operation of confederalism , your guess is as good as mine , the North and the South West.

If Nigerians do not want igbos to rule then igbos should just go with their Biafra simple and short
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by 1MCN: 2:44pm On Jun 16, 2013
The most attractive part of this elder's speech is his sincerity in acknowledging the achievements of his governor whom he's in opposition with. Without prejudice he could say it the way it is. Again was his sincerity in saying it was his party that went for Adams' friendship and not the other way round. If only all our opposition everywhere in this country could tell us all the simple truth like this one, maybe, and just maybe we'd have a much better society.
God bless Nigeria and Nigerians
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jun 16, 2013
Thumbs up man! After all 2027 is not too far
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 7:51am On Jun 18, 2013
asorocker:

if only you had checked , you would have realized that the North ruled Nigeria for 39 years while the south has only ruled for 14 years out of 53 years.

While the North ruled with military the south ruled mostly with Civilians
Based on competency and credentials i really do not think the North has more credible presidential materials than the South , particularly the South East.

If Nigerians do not want a sovereign National conference and a reduction of power at the center and a devolution of more powers to the region this sort of foolish agitation will continue and guess the people who are fighting against devolution of more powers to the region and the operation of confederalism , your guess is as good as mine , the North and the South West.

If Nigerians do not want igbos to rule then igbos should just go with their Biafra simple and short

Nigeria doesn't need to appease the ibos with the presidency because of a threat of secession.It's an open contest and the last time I checked,zoning has been abandoned.the earlier the better the ibos change their modus operandi else they will never rule Nigeria.

You want to leave on one side,you want rule on the other part.where do you belong ?

3 Likes

Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by touch4mony: 8:21am On Jun 18, 2013
Gamji007:

Also,going by his calculations,when power shifts to the north,we shall have 8 years each for the NW,NC and NE,making 24 years. Maybe an additional zone called North-North will be created in the process! >:

and for the past 39yrs north ruled how developed if d north talk more of d nation in general,boko haram north,poverty north,all manners of disease north,communal war north.in fact anything bad if north since u ppl want Islamic nation why not jst go and let us b.
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by teskyg: 8:37am On Jun 18, 2013
Even in 2027,if power eventually moved to the North,it will be the middle belt.Hausa fulani will drag us back after much progress would have been made.

They are responsible for the current rot in Nigeria and ever handling power back to them would be a disaster.
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 18, 2013
teskyg: Even in 2027,if power eventually moved to the North,it will be the middle belt.Hausa fulani will drag us back after much progress would have been made.

They are responsible for the current rot in Nigeria and ever handling power back to them would be a disaster.

Since independence,the North central has ruled Nigeria longer than any other region.why should power return to them ?
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:56am On Jun 18, 2013
teskyg: Even in 2027,if power eventually moved to the North,it will be the middle belt.Hausa fulani will drag us back after much progress would have been made.

U mean the way,Ibb,abdulsallam and gowon manage to imaginary develop Nigeria.Waw,u are right,we the ppl of middle belt,really enjoy like crazy under them.Mr man,u are very smart.
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by omoatata: 12:13pm On Jun 18, 2013
Maybe I can suggest a few things here to help the country Nigeria move forward if that is the right term. Since it is becoming increasingly clearer that we are becoming more and more of reluctant bed mates, I think we should do the right things before a more destructive atmosphere supervenes. We are getting close to what might be referred to as disintegration. Peaceful separation will any day fair better than violent disintegration. Please follow me.

Number one, if it is determined by a well meaning majority that we cannot continue peacefully as one nation, I think the best thing is to split the country peacefully along the lines that will the most useful and acceptable to all sides. If it will be more peaceful to split into three different nations, let us do it peacefully. There should be a referendum to effect this change. All sides should sit and talk about how all sides would benefit from the split. Talks should be held about how all strong sides will help weak sides until they become strong enough to stay on their own. Nothing should be done in a punitive manner or that borders on revenge of any kind.

Number two, if religion is what is the main problem affecting our staying peacefully together, then as adults and reasonable progressive people, I believe we can also split peacefully along that line without this wanton waste of life and property to which currently I don't see an end to. Islam will never change to Christianity and vice-versa. Individual Muslims can be converted to Christianity and vice versa but not the entire religions. Because of this fact and because in most cases of doctrinal presentations and ideology, both Christianity and Islam are diametrically opposed to each other. This issue will never be resolved unless God does a miracle. Take a look at the middle east and ponder upon this very well. Islam specifically enjoines its adherents to waylay, beleaguer and maim non-Muslims. If you read the Kuran, it is in there. They have a secret plan to rule the world. They are supposed to take over an enemy territory covertly if initially the enemy appears too powerful. (I know there will be a lot of arguments about this, especially from Muslims who don't even know what is contained in their own Kuran. If you want to verify what I say here, no offense intended towards anyone, please get a hold of the Kuran (whether a Christian or Muslim or Buddhist or Krishna, whatever)and read it. Don't let anyone or anything convince you other than the Kuran. Get the copy translated by one Professor Yussuf Ali. I am a Christian and I pray for Muslims everyday especially the Boko Haram sect in Nigeria. I got hold of a copy of the Kuran and read it. That is why I know that "violent" Muslims are not born that way. In fact they are the ones you can regard as true Muslims. They practice exactly what their holy book commands them to do. I am not preaching here, mind you. So don't get me wrong. True Christians and true Muslims will want to obey and practice what they believe their God demands. This is not the forum for preaching. What I am trying to say is that Christianity and Islam are like water and oil. They don't and will never mix. India and Pakistan give us a good example of how to handle Nigeria's separation if we ever decide splitting along religious lines will suit us the best. Again, we need to do this peacefully. There is nothing to fight about. It just makes sense for us to be peaceful going about any change. Nothing is worth killing another precious human being for. It is senseless to do such. Both Muslims and Christians are precious in the sight of God because He created all humans. We just differ in our beliefs and the mode of worship which tends to suggest we have different Gods. Sharia laws cannot be imposed on the entire country. It is an Islamic law. Even if it is attractive and makes sense, it still can't be imposed on the rest of the country like the Boko Haram demands. The Sharia law is being peddled also in the United States starting with the state of Virginia or Maryland. I don't see heads being chopped off over there because of this. I was notified by a group called the Traditional Coalition about this Islamic demand in either of those states. I was shocked to say the least. Yes, Muslims are demanding that Sharia law be implemented also in the United States. The Northern part of Nigeria will probably not object to sharia law, but the south may not welcome it. Why fight? Fighting will not solve any problem but merely complicate it. Let the south and north meet, Christian and Muslims come together and agree to disagree. Let each side come up with a plan to help each other out in the areas of finance, trade and diplomatic concerns. Again peacefully. It can be done. We can do it.

Number three, if we decide NOT to split, the president and the vice can be rotated among the states. Let qualified political parties find someone competent in the donor state to present candidates for the posts of President and Vice President. If on the short or long run he or she failed the people and is no longer wanted by the people, let another person be chosen from that same state to fill the vacant position. This way the presidency and its vice will rotate among the 36 states. It may take a long time, but each state will have the opportunity to choose and present the country's president and the vice. Because of the long rotational terms, I would suggest that a term be increased from four to six years. There will be no second term. If the president performed badly far below the standard that would be set, the home state will miss the opportunity to present next time. It will automatically skip to the next state. Other offices can come from the skipped state, not the president or vice president. This will encourage candidates not to fumble. If any presidential aspirant is planning to relocate to another state(or the next one to produce the president and vice president) for the sole purpose of being selected to contest elections, or to prepare himself politically to be picked as presidential or vice presidential candidate, he or she must move to that particular state four years ahead of time. He must maintain residence and pay taxes in that state. He must conduct legitimate business or secure verifiable employment in that same state. For example, if Mr. Mazi feels he will stand a better chance in Progress state of being picked as the president because of his popularity in that state and wishes to move to that state for the next presidential elections, he or she has to relocate to that next state (that is ripe for presenting the president and the vice) four years ahead of time. This will give him or her time to "acclimatize" so to speak.

Number four, if the state rotation seems too long for some people, then lets have a definite line dividing the north from the south politically speaking. Let us know which states exactly constitute the north per say and which ones belong to the south for the sake of producing the rulers. Let the numbers be equal. 18 states that will be considered north and 18 states that will be considered south. Let the presidency and the vice presidency alternate from either side. Let one particular state in the north produce the president and the south produces the vice president. Number the states in the north and south and let them go in the numerical order. This will keep all the states hopeful in producing either the president or the vice president. It will only be a matter of time before it comes to each states turn. This will give enough time to groom whoever is considered or selected for the two positions. The rest of the politicians can come from any part of the country.

Number five, we can go confederate. There is nothing wrong with this either, if it is done in good faith and peacefully. The problem is not in the system, it is in the people. We have problems because we are selfish and greedy people.

If you asked for my opinion, I would suggest Nigeria splits along religious lines peacefully. Religion is solidly attached to Boko Haram's demands. It will only cause more bloodshed. Squashing these insurgents will not solve the problem. It will only postpone it. It will go underground only to resurface again as a different organ with the same goal or goals. Remember the Maitatsine? Now it's Boko Haram. Who knows what is coming next? Religion is a very powerful thing that propels people to go beyond the ordinary. If we split along religious lines, other things can be diplomatically managed. And like Pa Ogbemudia suggested, let state have the autonomous power to deal with insurgencies or emergencies of this nature. They can always ask the center for help. God help Nigeria and whatever splinters she may peacefully have in the future. Amen.
Re: Ogbemudia Urged The North To Wait Till 2027 For Presidency by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 31, 2015
On this day 31st march 2015, a northerner emerged as the president of Nigeria.

Shame on you sir

(1) (Reply)

PICTURES: Memorial Service For Nelson Mandela / 2015: PDP Will Win, Presidency Tells Amaechi, Others / David Oyedepo,Tunde Bakare Places Curse On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.