Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,314 members, 7,780,762 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:27 PM

24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes (825 Views)

Foreign Couples Will Adopt African American Children If We Won’t / Three Major Nations Absent As China Launches W.bank Rival In Asia / Bin Laden Told Children 'live In Peace In The West' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes by Diasporan(m): 2:08pm On Jun 16, 2013
It’s one thing to be a single mother by choice. It arrives with a positive narrative to tell your child. It’s an “I wanted you so much” story – which safeguards a child’s ego.

It’s a whole other everything to have single motherhood thrust upon you – because the father has unconscionably chosen to abandon his child.

According to Oprah’s Lifeclass, 24 million children live in biological father-absent homes— in the United States alone. And 1 in 3 children grow up without a father. Although a majority of these fatherless homes are found in lower income situations – that’s not always the case. This problem has also been reported to cross the economic spectrum – with men leaving because they’re having an affair – or going through some sort of ego-driven, empathy-lacking yearning for a childless freedom.
The question remains: What do you tell a child who’s father has abandoned them? It’s a perplexing tongue-tying challenge. A verbal landmine. The mother recognizes the importance of telling a positive narrative – while also telling the truth. But, truly, how can there be a simultaneously positive and truthful narrative in answer to questions like: “Why does everyone else have a daddy and I don’t?” “Why did daddy leave?” “Will my daddy ever want to meet me or see me?
If you’re a single mother due to abandonment, every day is filled with a myriad of challenges – not just verbal ones. But there’s one day in particular which is especially scary: Father’s Day. This day might as well be re-named Boogie Man Day – because it’s a day which you know brings up many questions for your child. Even if your child does not ask you questions out loud, you know your child will be extra-wondering about that unknown shadowy figure called father – or rather, never-to-be-called father.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/bouncing-back/201306/tough-father-s-day-subject-which-needs-be-talked-about

Once again Happy Fathers Day to all who have stood for their kids and provided for them indeed we are proud of you all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes by LOUDmedia(m): 2:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
That's a crazy lifestyle to live. The rate of divorces is dem too high in the US.

1 Like

Re: 24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes by tpia5: 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
I dont think the culture is too father friendly, its matriarchal and they seem to prefer it that way.

If it works for them, then everyone should just stick to their own comfort zone.

If you want to compare being being fatherless in a place like africa, to absentee father in a place like america ( or overseas), the difference is quite clear.

With one, na sufferhead go finish you except by God's grace, while with the other, you get all types of assistance, support, goodwill, etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes by tpia5: 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
LOUDmedia: That's a crazy lifestyle to live. The rate of divorces is dem too high in the US.

Thats the culture and they prefer it that way.

1 Like

Re: 24 Million American Children Live In Father-absent Homes by LOUDmedia(m): 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
tpia@:

Thats the culture and they prefer it that way.

angry
Well, good for them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dr. Myles Munroe, International Preacher Dead!!! / Jean-marie Le Pen Says French Terror Attacks Were Work Of Western Intelligence / Meet Isreali Arrow-3 Missile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.