Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods (15472 Views)

Shocking Dangers Of Consuming Catfish A.K.A. Point And Kill / Man Dies After Consuming 8 Cans Of ‘Bullet Drink’ To Win N1,600 / Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods.nafdac Please Take Note! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Youngzedd(m): 1:24pm On Jun 20, 2013
Aaaaaah Apple is among.

Person don die be that.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by rodeo0070(m): 1:26pm On Jun 20, 2013
anytexy: Pls, can some one in the house throw more light on GM foods. I am lost here.
GM food stands for Genetically Modified Food (or GE Food, Genetic Engineered Food).

It can be defined as altering the genetic make-up of a living organism by using a particular method to transfer one or more genes from one organism to another.

Through this process the quality, the nutrient value, the yield or the resistance against pest of the plant will increase. Hence the food supply and the standard of life of human will be increased.

Genetically modified (GM) foods are foods derived from organisms whose genetic material (DNA) has been modified in a way that does not occur naturally, e.g. through the introduction of a gene from a different organism. Currently available GM foods stem mostly from plants, but in the future foods derived from GM microorganisms or GM animals are likely to be introduced on the market. Most existing genetically modified crops have been developed to improve yield, through the introduction of resistance to plant diseases or of increased tolerance of herbicides.

In the future, genetic modification could be aimed at altering the nutrient content of food, reducing its allergenic potential, or improving the efficiency of food production systems. All GM foods should be assessed before being allowed on the market.
CREDITS: WIKI

3 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by largie(f): 1:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
Google the name Monsanto. He has a corporation that is into GM foods and there is an on going legal fight between him and farmers that are forced to plant his seeds.

4 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 20, 2013
I always knew that God's masterplan for nature remains the only way! Alter it at your own peril. We are now suffering these because companies want higher yields and more profit! Greed, avarice, glutony. They are still deadly sins

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by mu2sa2: 1:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
I have always suspected meat products. That's why I dont eat "agric" poultry - if I want to eat chicken I go for the local breed, they taste good and are healthier. Even beef - nothing in this world will make me buy all this imported frozen beef.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by redsun(m): 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2013
Youngzedd: Aaaaaah Apple is among.

Person don die be that.

One of the deadliest.An average apple has an average of 60 different pesticides and insecticides in it.Just think about it.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Ishilove: 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2013
So how does one differentiate betwee GM foods and natural foods?
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by redsun(m): 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ishilove: So how does one differentiate betwee GM foods and natural foods?

Tough in a place like nigeria.Your best option is to eat local and how do that in the city?tough again.

You are going to hav to make it a point of duty to know your food source,because what you eat has a lot to do with your well being.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by ckkris: 2:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
gluv01: Good info..They used rats for the experiment grin
Just as Pfizer use Nigerian children do experiment for medicine the US governent no accept. Now dem go use Africans for the next experiments. Na that kind of Bill Tambuwal go pass quick quick.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by ckkris: 2:42pm On Jun 20, 2013
mollytinrox: embarassed I just ate one of them spiral GM bananas. Whats to happen to me now??

Save pictures of yourself now, and eat more GM foods. In just 12 months post more pictures so that people can assess the difference.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Konjour(m): 2:53pm On Jun 20, 2013
I don't think the overwhelming majority of Nigerians consume genetically modified foods cuz the basic foods found in the food shops on Nigerian streets are usually sourced directly from the local farms where the farmers might not even have heard of the possibility of genetically adjusting the genes of their farm produce,talk less of seeing it in practise and using it. It should be a concern for the inhabitants of first world countries and to a lesser degree,those of the second world countries. However,its also a good eye-opener to those who don't have access to such foods yet. Preventing ailments has gotta be better than curing them.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by vivavik(f): 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2013
Lemme explain 2 ur understanding, GM foods was coined 4rm the word gene, gene-modified foods.they are basically foods tht has been modified 4rm thr planting material source, they used chemicals/substances 2 alter the gene of the crop/animal, thr function is 2 improve/facilitate the growth of these foods so as 2 meet up wt the world's growing population, they can modify these genes thru seeds or the parent material itself, by either deeping thm in the chemicals b4 planting or using improved fertilizers 2 speed up the growth rate. Its virtually in evry crop known, now for those who fink garri is not included, pls research again, cos cassava stems are deeped in this pesticides/insecticides, wch causes harms 2 the natural living organism in the soil, we have improved varieties of cassava and they are all GM foods. Tht is why scientist now encourage organic farming, meaning farming wtout artificial chemicals/fertilizers, they encourage the use of animal/plant dropping as fertilizers.pls don't fink its only the white tht practice GM planting,its evry whr in nigeria now, practically all our food, especially when u dnt knw the food source.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Les: 3:05pm On Jun 20, 2013
God is not mocked nor is he imitated. Gone are d days ppl looked 50 at 200..
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by vivavik(f): 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2013
folawuyo: jxt passing bye, since garri is nt among, no prob.
says who?
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Lakayanah: 3:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ishilove: So how does one differentiate betwee GM foods and natural foods?
In simple Nigerian English is agric chicken, agric mango. All those foods that are not like the local ones they normally bigger and finer. Warning to all of you that believes that for to be a big boy/girl you must eat imported foods I sorry for you before long you will start mutating.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Jussi(m): 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2013
vivavik: Lemme explain 2 ur understanding, GM foods was coined 4rm the word gene, gene-modified foods.they are basically foods tht has been modified 4rm thr planting material source, they used chemicals/substances 2 alter the gene of the crop/animal, thr function is 2 improve/facilitate the growth of these foods so as 2 meet up wt the world's growing population, they can modify these genes thru seeds or the parent material itself, by either deeping thm in the chemicals b4 planting or using improved fertilizers 2 speed up the growth rate. Its virtually in evry crop known, now for those who fink garri is not included, pls research again, cos cassava stems are deeped in this pesticides/insecticides, wch causes harms 2 the natural living organism in the soil, we have improved varieties of cassava and they are all GM foods. Tht is why scientist now encourage organic farming, meaning farming wtout artificial chemicals/fertilizers, they encourage the use of animal/plant dropping as fertilizers.pls don't fink its only the white tht practice GM planting,its evry whr in nigeria now, practically all our food, especially when u dnt knw the food source.

Just to add to your explanations of how a plant can be genetically modified...

First, applying fertilizers/pesticides to crops or dipping a plant material into chemicals is NOT genetic modification. As much as possible, I'll try to explain how the science works in plants. You'll appreciate the science if you try to understand the principle.

Now, if you isolate a piece of gene from any plant material, it is possible to select the particular gene that is of interest to you, take for instance a gene helping plants to cope with drought. Based on this, you can make several copies of your gene and then carefully put these gene copies into a particular kind of bacteria via electroporation.

Then the fun part - grow the bacterial cells under optimal conditions and they will replicate/multiply to give you a lot more cells. Take the leaf of any plant and clean it thoroughly, sometime we just sterilize it.
Under sterile condition, gently mix your cell culture such that the bacteria will infect your sterile leaf. Prior to this you can make rough cuts on the leaf to enhance infection. What happens is that your bacteria will transfer the isolated gene to the leaf. You can use any leaf for this purpose. Simply culture the infected leaf in sterile agar with the required nutrients under lab condition to develop tiny roots. You will find several shoots protruding from the leaf and these will grow into normal plants possibly with your gene of interest. There are ways to verify whether your gene was eventually passed into the leaf/plant. Nature your plant until you're sure they can be transferred to your greenhouse.

You have just potentially modified a plant genetically! This same gene transfer happens in nature in billions everyday, yet as a people we do not rise up to question nature. I personally think that it's more worrying when it occurs randomly in nature, rather than a planned & scrutinized piece of science. I'll try to explain why it's important to advance this science in a controlled way.

Make I first chop, I dey come back cheesy
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
redsun: All those shoprites products you guys show off with instead of local food sellers are all poisonous traps.Oyinbo foods are all deadly because of the chemicals they use in producing them.These days they submerge seeds in pesticides and insecticides even before they plant them.And these seeds grows with these chemicals,killing all the natural insects that comes into contact with,including bees that naturally pollinates and to be finally eaten by man who definitely suffers the slow and devastating effects of the same chemicals that produces
"stainless" foods.

That is why,despite all the socalled medical advancement,one in five people is most likely to have cancer in no distant years in the west.I will rather live in the village in nigeria,grow my own food than live in places like lagos with all those chinese/oyinbo counterfeit foods they dump in nigeria.
like this if it makes sense by the poster. For me it does and i liked it

3 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Afroconnect: 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
Genetic modified foods is a commercialization ply,it is uindermining good health all for high yields and multiple returns on lifestock rearing.The scientists know it is harmful,the Government knows.
It is widely used in refugee countries,as well as third world countries-most of the foods supplied as aid to African countries are genetically modified-they produce in surplus and mass production.
They have long term effects,they are very harmful.NAFDAC and SON(standard organisation of Nigeria)take note.
China now buys lands in Nigeria for Agriculture,they should be scrutinized,Chinese are mean people,since their people will not eat it,they will use GMO seedlings for high yields to maximise profits.
China just passed a law allowing Chinese companies to process and export GMO foods.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Reference(m): 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2013
hisblud: Now the question is *how can one differentiate between GM and non GM farm product?

No difference on the surface but it depends on what the modification is targeted at, disease resistance, drought resistance, productivity, appearance, taste, whatever. Where a crop or animal is disproportionate, dysfunctional or just plain different, it is likely to be GM.

Ordinarily in western shops you find for instance perfect fruit and vegs. Most of these are not by natural selection but are GM to reduce field losses.

For those saying garri is exempt should think twice. The humble cassava plant has spent decades in the labs of the FAO and other local institutes. What we have today is far from what our fore-fathers planted.

If it sticks out, it is likely GM.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 20, 2013
gluv01: Good info..They used rats for the experiment grin
Yup...all these big food companies know the truth,they all just want to maximise profits,hence they keep mute about it.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Reference(m): 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2013
Afro connect: Genetic modified foods is a commercialization ply,it is uindermining good health all for high yields and multiple returns on lifestock rearing.The scientists know it is harmful,the Government knows.
It is widely used in refugee countries,as well as third world countries-most of the foods supplied as aid to African countries are genetically modified-they produce in surplus and mass production.
They have long term effects,they are very harmful.NAFDAC and SON(standard organisation of Nigeria)take note.
China now buys lands in Nigeria for Agriculture,they should be scrutinized,Chinese are mean people,since their people will not eat it,they will use GMO seedlings for high yields to maximise profits.
China just passed a law allowing Chinese companies to process and export GMO foods.

GM seeds are already here. Private farmers have been importing and using them for years. That government is just arriving the scene is natural. They are always years behind the curve.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 20, 2013
redsun:

Tough in a place like nigeria.Your best option is to eat local and how do that in the city?tough again.

You are going to hav to make it a point of duty to know your food source,because what you eat has a lot to do with your well being.
hmm all you that are looking for job, what the poster said is da opportunity to make your $$$ *winks*
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by weebay(m): 4:49pm On Jun 20, 2013
I like this topic its quite educative and also misleading.. You cannot use a few to judge a lot. I studied plant breeding and genetics so I have a first hand experience with genetically Modified food...any GM food out there that will kill u definately hasn't gone thru proper testing.. GM seeds( which grow into fruits etc) are very essential if a country wants to attain food security. Do u know how many insects, diseases and other enviromental hazards that seeds go thru before they are matured? GM seeds are the only way u can bypass all that.. Why do u think Yam is expensive??..well flood came and they couldn't survive..if u planted a GM cassava that can withstand excess water yam won't be so much expensive.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Jussi(m): 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2013
Reference:

No difference on the surface but it depends on what the modification is targeted at, disease resistance, drought resistance, productivity, appearance, taste, whatever. Where a crop or animal is disproportionate, dysfunctional or just plain different, it is likely to be GM.

Ordinarily in western shops you find for instance perfect fruit and vegs. Most of these are not by natural selection but are GM to reduce field losses.

For those saying garri is exempt should think twice. The humble cassava plant has spent decades in the labs of the FAO and other local institutes. What we have today is far from what our fore-fathers planted.

If it sticks out, it is likely GM.

Well said Reference, thank you. Our government should compel shop owners to clearly label all GM products as in the developed countries.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Onyegecha(f): 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2013
I have it on good authority that all these desert apples, foreign grapes and the guava-like pears that currently flood our markets and go for abominably high prices are all genetically modified foods brought in from South Africa.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by thehomer: 8:22pm On Jun 20, 2013
This is rubbish. All modern foods are genetically modified. Some were modified by insertion of genes in labs others by selective farming over several centuries.

Another thing to realize is that naturalnews.com is a questionable source of information. You should keep in mind the fact that they also peddle misinformation about vaccines and quack treatments. Take the time to review the sources of your information.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by largie(f): 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2013
Any fruit or vegetable that God created with seeds and Oyibo man turned seedless has been modified- seedless grapes,seedless watermelon, seedless orange etc.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by PHAYOL81: 8:52pm On Jun 20, 2013
bbpreye.:

Garri remains the best food one can get.
Genetically modified Garri wont work.

''Garri is the best
I dont eat the rest
You can put it to a test
Oh my Garri is the best''

Don't put this talent 2 a waste,believ me u can beat d best.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by trolling(m): 9:14pm On Jun 20, 2013
yall better start getting used to eating Gmo,because that is the food for the future, He who controls the seed controls the people....and He makes bond,free,rich and poor to shikeni...its all in the works,men this people will be rudely awakened chai
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 20, 2013
hisblud: Now the question is *how can one differentiate between GM and non GM farm product?
I will advise you try to use the local markets,they are some thailand rice and rice processed by stallion-BUA rice mills,these are quite good.we must take urgent action.Mr President order the Agriculture minister to use his office to monitor all farmlands that cultivate crops for the Nigerian public closely,especially those run by Chinese and Asian business men-these people just want to maximise profits,they will make these foods and Nigerians will consume them.They won't eat them.Nigerians spread the word,educate your fellow about the benefits of using Natural organic manure and natural methods of farming,this is how we can sustain our blessed land. let us be careful,let us not be decieved when they come along telling us they are trying to eradicate hunger by flooding our Nation with adulterated,diseased foods-filled with chemicals.Lots of criminal business men will venture into it in Nigeria if the activities,and movements of consumables and chemicals coming into Nigeria through commercial farms,sea ports,airports and road border posts are not properly scrutinized accesed and tested to ensure its safe for consumption.Lax enforcement and inactivity of NAFDAC, SON(standard organisation of Nigeria),and the Agricultural ministry will make it easier for our markets to be flooded by these sick foods.presently foods like canned fish,canned beef and all other canned foods must be scrutinized thoroughly to ascertain worthiness before allowing entry.The Nigerian Farmers must be properly orientated about the dangers of using these chemicals and mutation methods to boost yields,as doing so has severe health effects and damages the quality of the land in the long term.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 20, 2013
weebay: I like this topic its quite educative and also misleading.. You cannot use a few to judge a lot. I studied plant breeding and genetics so I have a first hand experience with genetically Modified food...any GM food out there that will kill u definately hasn't gone thru proper testing.. GM seeds( which grow into fruits etc) are very essential if a country wants to attain food security. Do u know how many insects, diseases and other enviromental hazards that seeds go thru before they are matured? GM seeds are the only way u can bypass all that.. Why do u think Yam is expensive??..well flood came and they couldn't survive..if u planted a GM cassava that can withstand excess water yam won't be so much expensive.
You just spewed all they made you believe.they have bought you,its funny how our conscience die when our interest is the subject.
Anything not natural can not be natural...the way of nature is dying and replenishing for best quality.
Re: Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods by Onyegecha(f): 7:13am On Jun 21, 2013
I weep for my country. Every evil thrives here because we have no shepherd. Most things that will not be allowed in markets abroad are pushed to Nigeria where everything goes. Is it any wonder that we keep witnessing unreasonable deaths? Who will save us from this wanton destruction of man and nature from the cancerous hands of evil?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out / Organic Coconut Oil / Which Brand Of Blender Is Good For Blending Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.