Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,635 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This (2605 Views)

My Humble Opinion On The Recent Muslim Shi'i - Military Clash In The North / Desika's Opinion on The Crucifixion Of Jesus / Honest Opinion Of A Sincere Muslim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 18, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=Q5t9U9r9Kfs

Please ignore the title of this video, it was put there by a non muslim.
What the preacher is saying in the video is basically that marrying a six year old girl and consummating the marriage when she is nine is okay in Islam because that was what the prophet did with Aisha.
I understand that muslims have been instructed by the holy koran to take the prophet (saw) as their example and role model so if this is the case then why can't muslims emulate him when it comes to the issue of marriage? Why do muslims vehemently try to convince non muslims that marriage to a 9 year old girl is unislamic when the prophet did just that? Was that act of his unislamic?
Why do muslims shy away from following the prophet's example when it comes to this issue?
I am very curious about this so responses would be highly appreciated.
Masalam
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by maclatunji: 8:52am On Jun 18, 2013
^You make it seem like a girl or woman has no say in the matter.

A woman's consent is a condition before marriage can occur. If you can find a girl that will agree to marry you at age 9. Let me know. #LOL
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 18, 2013
^Yeah, that is sooo not the point that I am trying to make.
My point is; the koran asks muslims to take prophet muhammed (saw) as their example and role model.
Why do you folks decide not to take him as a role model when it comes to marrying a young girl? Was that act of the prophet unislamic?
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by hokbah(f): 9:18am On Jun 18, 2013
Yes muslim are been instructed to follow the̶̲̥̅̊ prophet(SAW) but let's see it dis way,during dat time it is a norm to marry a girl of dat age cos afta ur 1st menses in ur fathers ouse dere is nting left to do their,even in nigeria b4 civilizatn a girl is married off immediately afta seeing her 1st menses,it can't be like dat now cos everything has changed,girls now go to sch,she passes tru primary,secondary sch and even tertiary and b4 she finishes all ds she is now a lady
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by hokbah(f): 9:27am On Jun 18, 2013
Hope Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ get wat am trying to say wink,dats H̶̲̥̅̊♡̷̴̬̩̃̊w̶̲̥̅̊ I undastand it to my best knowledge,I stand to be corrected smiley
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 18, 2013
hokbah: Yes muslim are been instructed to follow the̶̲̥̅̊ prophet(SAW) but let's see it dis way,during dat time it is a norm to marry a girl of dat age cos afta ur 1st menses in ur fathers ouse dere is nting left to do their,even in nigeria b4 civilizatn a girl is married off immediately afta seeing her 1st menses,it can't be like dat now cos everything has changed,girls now go to sch,she passes tru primary,secondary sch and even tertiary and b4 she finishes all ds she is now a lady

I was totally expecting a response like this grin
First of all, the prophet married Aisha and consummated the marriage after he became a prophet, not before so he must have been acting on the guidance of Allah when he decided to marry her at that age.
Let me ask you something, if the prophet knew that marrying a nine year old girl would not be approved by allah then why did he do it? He must have done it knowing that allah would not be displeased by his actions since he was already a prophet at the time.
Obviously allah was not displeased by the prophet marrying a girl of that age so why do muslims shy away from doing the same thing?
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by deols(f): 9:27am On Jun 18, 2013
Muslims can follow the prophet in any of these forms-

* he married an elderly woman- 15 yrs older than him

*he married widows to put them under his roof and take care of their children

* he married a divorced woman

* he married a slave woman, thereby granting her freedom.

*he married a virgin girl, whose smartness helped us in learning our religion unyil tjis moment.

A Father is not compelled to give his little daughter out in marriage.

1 Like

Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 18, 2013
hokbah: Yes muslim are been instructed to follow the̶̲̥̅̊ prophet(SAW) but let's see it dis way,during dat time it is a norm to marry a girl of dat age cos afta ur 1st menses in ur fathers ouse even in nigeria b4 civilizatn a girl is married off immediately afta seeing her 1st menses,it can't be like dat now cos everything has changed,girls now go to sch,she passes tru primary,secondary sch and even tertiary and b4 she finishes all ds she is now a lady

Also, in the koran, muslims are told that Islam is a religion of all times and every era, for every civilisation. If you say that Islamic rules change according to civilisation that means Islam is not meant for all peoples and it's time is actually restricted to a certain era.
This means that some Islamic culture are not meant to be followed in this day and age because they are outdated, Islamic culture like marrying a really young girl.

1 Like

Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 18, 2013
deols: Muslims can follow the prophet in any of these forms-
* he married an elderly woman- 15 yrs older than him
*he married widows to put them under his roof and take care of their children
* he married a divorced woman
* he married a slave woman, thereby granting her freedom.
*he married a virgin girl, whose smartness helped us in learning our religion unyil tjis moment.

So please explain to me why they cannot follow the prophet in the form of marrying a six year old girl.

A Father is not compelled to give his little daughter out in marriage.
A father can give her out if he likes the way Abu bakr gave Aisha out when she was six years old.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by hokbah(f): 9:43am On Jun 18, 2013
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by hokbah(f): 9:45am On Jun 18, 2013
There Ϟ•̸ɑ̤̥̈̊s̶̲̥̅̊ nothing wrong in marrying a 9 yrs old denas long has she gave her consent.abi Ϟ•̸ɑ̤̥̈̊s̶̲̥̅̊ it said dat she Ϟ•̸ɑ̤̥̈̊s̶̲̥̅̊ forced into marriage.NOP and let forgets dat he married a woman older dan him,widows and d divorce
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by deols(f): 9:58am On Jun 18, 2013
NL member:

So please explain to me why they cannot follow the prophet in the form of marrying a six year old girl.

A father can give her out if he likes the way Abu bakr gave Aisha out when she was six years old.

I made that list so you can realise that No one has to marry at that age. You spoke about the need to follow the prophet's footsteps and I showed you that marrying a minor isnt the only sunnah out there. You can marry a grown up and still be practising sunnah.

So in essence, Nl member, the issue you bring forth is not an issue at all. People will not marry their 9yr olds for many reasons ranging from health to culture and to stage of physical and mental maturity.

1 Like

Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by hokbah(f): 9:59am On Jun 18, 2013
If a girl of 9 yrs old av bcom a woman and she is ready to marry and her wali gave his consent den no p
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 18, 2013
deols:
I made that list so you can realise that No one has to marry at that age. You spoke about the need to follow the prophet's footsteps and I showed you that marrying a minor isnt the only sunnah out there. You can marry a grown up and still be practising sunnah.
So in essence, Nl member, the issue you bring forth is not an issue at all. People will not marry their 9yr olds for many reasons ranging from health to culture and to stage of physical and mental maturity.

I brought up a non issue?
You have got to be joking. So in essense you are saying that nothing is wrong with marrying out a 9year old girl because the prophet did it?
Please answer this question.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 18, 2013
hokbah: If a girl of 9 yrs old av bcom a woman and she is ready to marry and her wali gave his consent den no p

A girl of nine cannot give her consent for marriage because she is a child, besides child birth by a nine year old can lead to a lot of complications like VVF and even death because their bodies are not matured enough to handle child birth.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by deols(f): 10:25am On Jun 18, 2013
NL member:

I brought up a non issue?
You have got to be joking. So in essense you are saying that nothing is wrong with marrying out a 9year old girl because the prophet did it?
Please answer this question.

I mean there is no reason to give your 9yr old in marriage because the prophet did it.

she can marry at an older age and she would still be a good Muslim.

If you want to talk about the health implication of early marriage, I'll join you at it.You can discuss it without necessarily bringing the prophet into the discussion.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 18, 2013
deols:
I mean there is no reason to give your 9yr old in marriage because the prophet did it.
she can marry at an older age and she would still be a good Muslim.
But the koran asks muslims to take the prophet as a guide and role model. Muslims should also take him as a guide when it comes to marrying six year old girls smiley
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by deols(f): 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2013
NL member:
But the koran asks muslims to take the prophet as a guide and role model. Muslims should also take him as a guide when it comes to marrying six year old girls smiley

You didnt come here for a discussion. Your mind was made up. keep it up.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jun 18, 2013
@NL Member: Marriage is permissible only when a person who is not married reached Balagah; Pubety and not before. if Aisha [RA] was younger than age of puberty, she was a miracle. What we know is that we benefited from her being our mother because she let us know something that only mothers can know.

it is however proven that she was probably between 16 and 21 years old because her older sister Asma [RA] was only 10 years older than her and she was not an addition to the household of her father after revelation.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 18, 2013
deols:

You didnt come here for a discussion. Your mind was made up. keep it up.

No need to get worked up babes smiley
I just wanted to understand why Muslims like denying that there is nothing Islamically wrong with marryin a six year old girl.
I am actually surprised that none of you denied it but you're confirming that nothing is wrong with it.
Intriguing.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 18, 2013
RoyPCain: @NL Member: Marriage is permissible only when a person who is not married reached Balagah; Pubety and not before. if Aisha [RA] was younger than age of puberty, she was a miracle. What we know is that we benefited from her being our mother because she let us know something that only mothers can know.
it is however proven that she was probably between 16 and 21 years old because her older sister Asma [RA] was only 10 years older than her and she was not an addition to the household of her father after revelation.

Firstly, please stop lying, Aisha was nine years old when the prophet consummated their marriage, she wasn't 16 to 21. Even your muslim sisters on this thread have confirmed it so don't even try to go down that apologist route.
And a nine year old is still a child, how can she know what she wants or what kind of husband she will like to marry at that age? Even if she is among those rare girls that enter puberty at 9years, she is still a child.

You peeps want to claim that nothing is wrong with a nine year old sleeping with a fifty something year old man but you'll never let your nine year old children sleep with a fifty something year old man.
Then you want me to accept that Islam is a religion for all times and all civilizations.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by basilico: 5:46pm On Jun 18, 2013
She was 9 years at consumation. Sahìh Bukhari. In another thread I have been told that sahìh bukhari is next to Koran. True or false?
NL member:

Firstly, please stop lying, Aisha was nine years old when the prophet consummated their marriage, she wasn't 16 to 21. Even your muslim sisters on this thread have confirmed it so don't even try to go down that apologist route.
And a nine year old is still a child, how can she know what she wants or what kind of husband she will like to marry at that age? Even if she is among those rare girls that enter puberty at 9years, she is still a child.

You peeps want to claim that nothing is wrong with a nine year old sleeping with a fifty something year old man but you'll never let your nine year old children sleep with a fifty something year old man.
Then you want me to accept that Islam is a religion for all times and all civilizations.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 18, 2013
basilico: She was 9 years at consumation. Sahìh Bukhari. In another thread I have been told that sahìh bukhari is next to Koran. True or false?
She was married off to the prophet at six, marriage consummated at nine
. . . . .and muslims think that is absolutely fine sad
Muslims scare me. . . . . .
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by maclatunji: 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2013
NL member:

No need to get worked up babes smiley
I just wanted to understand why Muslims like denying that there is nothing Islamically wrong with marryin a six year old girl.
I am actually surprised that none of you denied it but you're confirming that nothing is wrong with it.
Intriguing.

Do you want a list of sexually active people below 9 years over history? That list would be very very long. Besides, you might want to condemn the bodies of young girls that gave birth below 9 years.

Their bodies must be so 'evil'. Apply wisdom and stop being one-dimensional.

One more thing, it is not compulsory to agree with Sahih Bukhari 100%. There are other collectors of hadith.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 18, 2013
@NL member:
NL member: 2:44pm

there is no reason for me to lie and definitely i am not lying to you because i gain or lose nothing from you. it is obvious that your mind is made up and nothing is said outside what you already in is worthy of consideration. hadith [sunnah is action] is principally what Muhammad [SA] said [did] and what is said [did] in his presence that he agreed with or didn't correct and if he corrected it, the final product is hadith [sunnah].

as much as i love bukhari, it is not compared to Quran. where Quran says puberty, it is what i accept without a numerical number as in to age of puberty. the hadith on marriage especially about our mother Aisha [RA], one should arrive at her being purely a miracle if she was 6 and 9 as stated. if one takes her as special woman but not a miracle how is it possible for a 6 year old to engage in marriage of real life by participating in the marriage contract, a pretty grown up role because rights of the principal players are negotiated because it is a prenuptial agreement. NL member, no 6 year old boy can negotiate his rights accurately with a 20 year old future wife even if the woman is a mumu. to then accept that a 6 year old girl enter into a contract with a man who most men in his time including her father had to take what he says without arguing it, she must have been more than a superwoman. or was she much older?

read about events surrounding her life before she married the prophet [SA]. many people, including scholars and ordinary muslims like me say she is not 6 or 9 but at least 16.

i was going to just not bother with you until i read your effort to deride Islam. let me say this to you, less than 3 hours ago, i spoke to a jew, thinking he was a christian because of him engaging in life activities with me last sunday. i was trying to emphasis to him how i appreciated his time away on his day of service. when he said to me, boastful that he is from the older religion to christian that the pope has even acknowledged as so, i had my chance right there and that time to ask the people of the book in the spirit of 'if you have any doubt [i do not doubt but i felt like confronting him because I was in the driver seat, so i was in control]'. i said to him that he is now talking to his older brother [muslim] because islam was the religion of Adam [SA]. he affirmed my statement. so mr. NL member, do not let death arrive at your door outside the fold of Islam.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 18, 2013
RoyPCain: NL member, no 6 year old boy can negotiate his rights accurately with a 20 year old future wife even if the woman is a mumu. to then accept that a 6 year old girl enter into a contract with a man who most men in his time including her father had to take what he says without arguing it, she must have been more than a superwoman. or was she much older?
read about events surrounding her life before she married the prophet [SA]. many people, including scholars and ordinary muslims like me say she is not 6 or 9 but at least 16.

Where did I say anything about any six year old boy?
Calm down bro, I am talking about Aisha being given out to the rasul (saw,pbuh) when she was six. Her father gave her out in marriage, she didn't take part in the marriage contract.

i was going to just not bother with you until i read your effort to deride Islam. NL member, do not let death arrive at your door outside the fold of Islam.
@bold,
So what if I dont become a muslim? I am going to burn in hell for all eternity and eat from the tree of zaqqum? grin

Anyway I am not trying to deride islam, you and deols are acting so sensitive about my innocent attempts to know what you muslims think about child marriage.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2013
maclatunji:

Do you want a list of sexually active people below 9 years over history? That list would be very very long. Besides, you might want to condemn the bodies of young girls that gave birth below 9 years.

Their bodies must be so 'evil'. Apply wisdom and stop being one-dimensional.

One more thing, it is not compulsory to agree with Sahih Bukhari 100%. There are other collectors of hadith.

Good to know you find nothing wrong with marrying a six year old child.
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by kazlaw2000: 1:44am On Jun 19, 2013
pls there is no point being apologetic about a fact of history. Look mr op, there is nothing wrong about early marriage and islam encourages it. So if no adverse effect is feared, it is perfectly okay. I can also give out my daughter at that age. But it isnt a must i do so. Thanks for the enquiry!
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 19, 2013
kazlaw2000: pls there is no point being apologetic about a fact of history. Look mr op, there is nothing wrong about early marriage and islam encourages it. So if no adverse effect is feared, it is perfectly okay. I can also give out my daughter at that age. But it isnt a must i do so. Thanks for the enquiry!

According to your post:

1.)In islam, a child of six can be wedded to a man of fifty something. (I wonder what attracted him to a six year old in the first place).

2.)In islam, a man of fifty something can have sexxual relations with a nine year old child.

3.)In islam, a daughter's consent or approval is not necessary before she is given to a man in marriage

Islam is a very great religion indeed!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by basilico: 5:41am On Jun 19, 2013
In Iran the Ayatollah is the supreme leader by virtue of being the one whom the Shia Mahdi is closest to. The founder of Islamic Republic of Iran Ayatollah Khomeini lowered the age of marriage for girls to 9 years. As a good example he also married a 10 year old while he was 28. Truly following the Sunna of o Muhammad (pbuh).
Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by golpen(m): 7:44am On Jun 19, 2013
NL member:

A girl of nine cannot give her consent for marriage because she is a child, besides child birth by a nine year old can lead to a lot of complications like VVF and even death because their bodies are not matured enough to handle child birth.

A girl of nine may give her consent to a marriage insha Allah. Not even in this jet age we are. In an age when you see primary sch children in homo and other indecent acts. Like @deols and @hokbah have rightly said, the rate at which civilisation has changed our mentality has gone irreparable. Then, marrying a 9 year old girl was just a norm, not only in the arab region, but in the neighbourhood regions.

People fail to look into the practice of this decision, before passing their criticisms or endorsements. The lady grows in the matrimony learning many things (such as the house chores, maternal chores, etc) to become a young lady capable of taking any marital steps.

We have seen cases of children within that age range, having crushes on even older youths, that is to show how very conscious these girls are. These aren't the things that needs to be tackled, but for the hatred non muslims have against Islam, they have backed the dog tackling islamic issues they don't understand, whereas, their own society goes bizarre. Indecent and almost unclad dressing is the order of the day and because serving God is in the heart, they are allowed to wear this provocatives to their worship grounds. Homo acts is also becoming rampant, but to our surprise, it has gone on to find its way into our legal books.

Their are very many things like this that the non islamic world is either not taking note of, or, promoting, due to what they think is civilisation or countering the Islamic world and obviously is not helping humanity.

1 Like

Re: Salams Guys, I Just Want An Honest Opinion On This by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 19, 2013
golpen:
A girl of nine may give her consent to a marriage insha Allah. Not even in this jet age we are. In an age when you see primary sch children in homo and other indecent acts. Like @deols and @hokbah have rightly said, the rate at which civilisation has changed our mentality has gone irreparable. Then, marrying a 9 year old girl was just a norm, not only in the arab region, but in the neighbourhood regions.
People fail to look into the practice of this decision, before passing their criticisms or endorsements. The lady grows in the matrimony learning many things (such as the house chores, maternal chores, etc) to become a young lady capable of taking any marital steps.

We have seen cases of children within that age range, having crushes on even older youths, that is to show how very conscious these girls are. These aren't the things that needs to be tackled, but for the hatred non muslims have against Islam, they have backed the dog tackling islamic issues they don't understand, whereas, their own society goes bizarre. Indecent and almost unclad dressing is the order of the day and because serving God is in the heart, they are allowed to wear this provocatives to their worship grounds.

Is this a joke? A girl of niine can give her consent? What is this nonsense?
A girl of nine is a child, is still immature and has no life experience or enough wisdom to know how the world works or to even understand herself to know what she wants for herself, scientifically her brain and cognitive functions are not even mature enough, what is this nonsense I'm reading?
You people will say anything to defend your prophet even when it goes against common sense.
You golpen, will you give your nine year old daughter out to a fifty something year old man in marriage?
Infact don't even bother answering that question because I am sure you will come here and say you can do it just to avoid making your religion look bad.

I am shocked at the beliefs you people have, and somebody actually liked golpen's post! This is unbelievable.

All this is even beside the point. Aisha wasn't married off at nine, she was married off at six.
Are you also going to claim that a girl of six can give her consent for marriage?
Answer this question golpen! angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shame To Saudi King Abdullah / Is It Not Permissible For A Wife To Wear Her Husband's Cloth. / Essays By Muslims - The Politics Of Hijab: A Bit Of Black Cloth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.