Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times (6065 Views)

Military Accused Of Training Troops In Bathroom Slippers & Without Uniforms / Photos Of South African Troops In Maiduguri ? / President Jonathan Rocks Military Uniform During Visits To troops In Mubi (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by bobthebuilder99(m): 4:35am On Jun 19, 2013
Five months after the deployment of Nigerian troops as part of the Africa-led International Support Mission to Mali (AFISMA) to fight Islamic insurgents, there is no respite in sight for soldiers who have suffered untold hardship and total neglect of the contingent.

PREMIUM TIMES can exclusively report that the 873-man contingent is still making do with poor nutrition, and unpaid allowances of up to three months.

The overwhelming perception of other participating countries in the mission is that the Nigerian contingent has fallen short of the United Nations' standard.

"They are struggling to remain in Mali," a defence source said. They are not being fed good food. They have been eating plain boiled spaghetti twice daily without condiments."

PREMIUM TIMES had exclusively reported the abysmal condition of the troops and the lack of morale caused by the absence of logistics and basic provisions. But defence authorities had denied it, saying the soldiers were well taken care of.

Four months after our initial reports, nothing seems to have changed, as the condition of the soldiers seems to have worsened.

Our source said allowances haven't been paid for up to three months.

The Commanding Officer (CO), of the contingent, Colonel T. E Gagariga, has been particularly fingered as encouraging soldiers to keep mute and pretend things are fine.

"Commanding Officer told soldiers to pretend that everything is all right because been promised a good appointment. They're really suffering."

Morale is said to be at an all time low within the 333 Arty Regiment with the codename NIBATT 1.

It is not true

But the battalion commander says claims of hardship and low morale by troop are untrue.

"All that is pure lie," said Col. Gagariga, when contacted by PREMIUM TIMES.

"We are doing our very best in every circumstance. My soldiers are of high morale."

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138985-exclusive-hardship-mounts-as-poorly-fed-nigerian-troop-in-mali-are-unpaid-for-three-months.html
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by nas4q(m): 8:52am On Jun 19, 2013
What do we believe?
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 19, 2013
Even on humans too? This issue of consistent maintenance culture that these vulture-like leaders of ours lack is quite disheartening.

NFF tried to do it to super eagles too..

They should retrench and jail those responsible for the troops' welfare.
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by firstolalekan(m): 9:21am On Jun 19, 2013
This retarrded GEJ... PDP 6 feet come 2015. angry

8 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by 80million1: 9:26am On Jun 19, 2013
ah, o ma se o!
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:26am On Jun 19, 2013
I'm on the front page!
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by cashkid18(m): 9:33am On Jun 19, 2013
wow!!ist tym on front page cheesy
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 19, 2013
"This is the best government Nigeria has ever had.."
-professional praise singers
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by jpphilips(m): 9:38am On Jun 19, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138985-exclusive-hardship-mounts-as-poorly-fed-nigerian-troop-in-mali-are-unpaid-for-three-months.html

what are the Nigerian troops doing in Mali? the last time i checked, it was the french and Niger that were doing all the dirty jobs or are they suggesting to be paid for doing stop and search?

Nigeria has no business there in the first place, the french refused to work with us. welcome home boys!!
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by gen2briz(m): 9:40am On Jun 19, 2013
aasog1: "This is the best government Nigeria has ever had.."
-professional praise singers

For your church mind abi
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Silensa(m): 9:40am On Jun 19, 2013
what went wrong? thought the federal government is in charge of them
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by abu12: 9:41am On Jun 19, 2013
They better come back home and assist the rest in SOE states
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by gbanikiti(m): 9:43am On Jun 19, 2013
....meanwhile, una president dey budget 1 billion naira for food wey him, patience and im orobo pikins go chop for one year? I no fit shout abeg! grin

3 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by arantess: 9:44am On Jun 19, 2013
if you guys believe this, you believe anything

4 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by BlessedFellow: 9:48am On Jun 19, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

I am not surprised to hear this. This has become a norm in Nigeria where the Ogas at the top *chop* the boys at the bottom allowances and entitlement. They have lost their conscience hence they don't see anything wrong in siphoning the little coins meant for those who's life are in perpetual danger while they relax in their cosy offices.

I do hope something would happen one day because the level of greed and selfishness is becoming astronomical in Nigeria from the Presidency, National Assembly etc. These folks keep telling us we are enjoying the dividends of democracy when some of our children sit on the floor in schools or receive class under trees while their children are attending the best schools in the world!

1 Like

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by taharqa2: 9:48am On Jun 19, 2013
I think by now, people shld have known what to believe about articles from d Nigerian Press esp from Sources like PremiumTimes, and what not to believe.... If you believe this particular one, well I can only say: Goodluck to you.....

4 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 19, 2013
I'll make a comment after the Nigerian army releases a statement on this issue.

2 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 19, 2013
Dem go dey war front dey chop d moni? FG don pay into dia accounts wen dey cum bak dem go bigin joli life so tey mama go cal

1 Like

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Policewoman(f): 9:58am On Jun 19, 2013
The stories are conflicting. I will not believe either party till i hear from the official sources.

1 Like

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:07am On Jun 19, 2013
it can only happen with a clueless president who owes even the youth corpscheesy
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Revolva(m): 10:10am On Jun 19, 2013
What a nation.....troops not been paid for 3 months i shame for Nigeria...a nation thats is damm rich...but stingy because of wikedness within the people

1 Like

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by mycoldsweat: 10:15am On Jun 19, 2013
arantess: if you guys believe this, you believe anything
. Am tempted to call u a fool but I won't cos ignorance is worthy of Doctor's attention. Ask questions if u want to be informed unless u are a spokesperson for the Army

2 Likes

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Brimmie(m): 10:23am On Jun 19, 2013
I Dey Laff Ooo!! cheesy cheesy

Jonathan Is Walking

When Dem Battle Finish, Dem Go Come Home Con Dey Work Wt Boko!!

[size=20]There Was A Country[/size]

[size=30]Tambuwal2015[/size]

1 Like

Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Ngwakwe: 10:47am On Jun 19, 2013
I know that Armed Forces receive their monthly cheque after it has been credited in their different bank accounts. Secondly, their payment is collectively paid irrespective of where you are, be it on leave, international duty, special task / assignment etc.

I presume the Soldiers are talking about their added allowances for the special assignment of which the payment lies solely with the Ecowas or United Nation as the case may be.

Withdrawal of your wages is solely dependent on the individual soldier.
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by bobthebuilder99(m): 11:12am On Jun 19, 2013
Brimmie: I Dey Laff Ooo!! cheesy cheesy

Jonathan Is Walking

When Dem Battle Finish, Dem Go Come Home Con Dey Work Wt Boko!!

[size=20]There Was A Country[/size]

[size=30]Tambuwal2015[/size]

Who is this Tambuwal character?

He will probably receive less than 50 votes.
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Originalsly: 11:13am On Jun 19, 2013
Why are they still in Mali?...and how long would they be there? I thought they went on a mission...or is it an occupation? If under the UN then I think the UN gives them an additional pay check via the FG while deployed.I guess thd first two months the soldiers got their due until somebody figured out a way to intercept the payments.
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by brownlord: 11:19am On Jun 19, 2013
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by ocelot2006(m): 11:31am On Jun 19, 2013
The FG MUST call PremiumTimes to order for the continuous peddling of unsubstantiated rumours as news. Haba! If the salaries of every other officer, NCO, and rank-&-file serving in the 3 service arms within and outside Nigeria have been paid their wages, do you really think Army HQ will owe those deployed to Mali? If anything, the Nigerian contingent deployed ought to earn more than their collegues.

Ban those premiumtimes fools for spreading falsehood.
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by ocelot2006(m): 11:33am On Jun 19, 2013
Revolva: What a nation.....troops not been paid for 3 months i shame for Nigeria...a nation thats is damm rich...but stingy because of wikedness within the people

And you believe those fools? Are you that gullible?
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by rhazur(m): 12:03pm On Jun 19, 2013
arantess: if you guys believe this, you believe anything

Seh na until when CNN report the situation make we believe am?
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by Nten: 12:05pm On Jun 19, 2013
Nigeria things is always different. They wont pay them now ooo! When they start protesting or revolting their oga's @ d top would say they are unruly & rude, that they should be courtmartial & summarily dismissed 4rm d force. We r watching d drama tho....
Re: Troops In Mali Haven't Been Paid For 3 Months - Premium Times by TruthFM(m): 12:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
I dont know why this is funny. I can't help laughing.
Ok lets be serious. I hope this soldiers who have risked everything for the call of duty wont vex and take over government due to none payment of salary.
On a more serious note. There are people in the civil service in both federal and states offices who are being owed for month, by the way they see there bosses on the daily basis and still keep showing to work.
Now my dear country sent a bunch of patriotic soldiers to mali to settle the war and you think they will pay them before getting confirmation that they arent dead?
*** Here is what i think if u still dont get, The generals and majors have budgetted that half of this troops won't return, some might find greener pastures in a war torn country, some might be dead while others might be trying to cross into france . Therefore they arent paying till the army return.......................This is highly confidential

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest News:- Nigeria Army Recaptured Gwoza Town / Abuobaku T-shirt Rolling Out Of Production Line In Aba. / (PHOTOS) Proudly Biafraness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.