Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Editing Posts - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Editing Posts (2836 Views)

Anybody That Doesnt Like My Posts Should Go And Drink Petrol / Fake Posts On Nairaland: Whose Game Is This? / Highest Number Of Posts In Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editing Posts by Seun(m): 7:38am On May 02, 2005
Hello,

One of our first storms over on MobileNigeria was the issue of post editing. There is no doubt about the fact that most regular contributors do not like their posts to be edited at all (Trae_z, AYA). Others are a bit more accepting, but would still prefer that the the editing to be minimized.

There is also no doubt about the fact that editing can make the forum much more readable (fact: 99% or more of forum activity is reading). In addition, editing takes a lot of time which could be used for gathering new information to enrich the forum.

What say you? Right now I'm still doing a lot of editing.

Seun.
Re: Editing Posts by diakim(m): 10:33am On May 02, 2005
Personally I have nothing against editing so far it is aimed at enhancing readability. I know some other forums where it is difficult to make a head or tail out of postings because the poster fails or refuses to follow the rules of grammar.

Cares must be taken though to always preserve the original meaning that the poster intended.
Re: Editing Posts by solo2(m): 12:48pm On May 02, 2005
In forum like this, Editing is necessery to avoid certain unwanted or in-correct language. Topic post and grammer must be put in order were they are wrongly used.
Re: Editing Posts by Ra(f): 9:10pm On May 02, 2005
Certain posts beg to be edited. Some grammatical errors jump out of the page and it is only fair that they are corrected. This is by no means casting any aspersion on the author but it merely makes reading such posts easier and more interesting. As we all must know by now, I simply cannot stand the use of swear words or curses especially here on message boards. If there are people who support the motion that swear words should or rather must be edited, please second my motion.
Re: Editing Posts by mamba(m): 9:35pm On May 02, 2005
Well, I second your motion about swear words and grammatical errors being edited.
I'm guilty of the use of some swear words and I thank God that I've somehow repented, thanks to Admin.
I quite agree that some of us, including me are not very good in English sha.
I never really liked English, maybe there'll be a regional thread where people like me can express ourselves in Yoruba :lol:
Re: Editing Posts by whizkid(f): 7:31pm On May 03, 2005
I definitely think swear words shouldn't be used in a public forum like this and should be edited if used. Even on radio and  TV you hear a beep anytime a swear word is used, that is a form of editing. There is no reason why it shouldn't be done on this forum. Moreso rules are there to guide and instill discipline in us, what is so difficult about keeping to these set rules? I mean it is not like Seun is asking for an arm and a leg. No swear words period.
Re: Editing Posts by dominobaby(f): 3:33pm On May 04, 2005
I don't object to the editing because there is hardly anything meaningful you do without editing it for better output, shey? and buttressing what trish said, movies are equally edited so you have a good feel and understanding of what it all contains!

Moreso, I think there is really no big deal cos Seun has simply stated

I imagine that Nairaland is a different kind of forum:

* Nairaland wants to be taken seriously.
* Nairaland wants to be as readable as a newspaper.
* Nairaland wants people to take time to compose their thoughts.
* Nairaland favors the sort of language that anybody can understand.
* People using the Internet for the first time should feel at home here.
* Nairaland wants to be clean enough for even the President to participate.

So welcome to the Nairaland World! People who come here are not here because they want "a forum". They are here because they want to share ideas/knowledge with many other Nigerians. I believe that we need to project a certain kind of image to get there.

thanks.
Re: Editing Posts by Chigszy(f): 12:00am On May 06, 2005
Well for one am not bothered if posts are edited but the thing is that we should keep the editing to minimum level is not people will feel that they are being imposed on. We are all different and we all speak and write differently. I am guilty of that. and if i see that a line that i have written has been cancelled off i mean that puts me off. because i feel that my opinion is not being appreciated. I mean we are all here to give our opinions. But i am not against it though just that we should keep it minimal. (THAT IS MY OPINION).
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 12:29am On May 06, 2005
I am trying to develop editing guidelines. I agree with you that editing should be minimal.
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 7:09pm On May 08, 2005
Automatic Post Reformatting

What I don't like about post editing is that it takes a lot of time. One option is to design a special piece of software that can automatically reformat a post, making it easy to read and so on.

Another option is to implement some form of revision control in the forum software, so that even when a post has been edited you can still retrieve the original version of the post. With revision control, it is possible for us to have 2-15 editors who can share the work of editing.

1 Like

Re: Editing Posts by Ka: 7:55pm On May 08, 2005
If you feel that grammatical errors bother you so much, you can certainly go ahead and edit posts, but you'll find that you end up spending all your waking hours editing posts, given the low level of adherence to correct grammar in Nigeria.

Personally, I prefer to let grammatical errors slide - if the grammatical errors are so bad as to make the person's post incomprehensible, he will find that nobody is paying attention to him because nobody can understand him and he will stop either stop posting or 'clean up his act'.
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 8:11pm On May 08, 2005
Ka,

99% of forum activity (literally 99%) is reading. Every reader unconsciously measures the quality of a site by certain cues including:
- 'Professional design' (doesn't have to be fantastic but should be neat, pleasing to the eye).
- 'Professional content' (legible, understandable text with very few typos or spelling/grammar errors).

This impression doesn't depend on whether the bad writing or appearance of the site is the webmaster/administrator's fault or not grin. We really need the forum to look neat.

Now if there's a way to automatically reformat posts to correct 95% of errors, I would like that. If not, then the system has to be built to allow many people to participate in the editing. The system has to be build to the administrator to revert posts that have been incorrecly edited.
Re: Editing Posts by dafman(m): 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2005
I don't really see anything wrong with editing as long as it has got to do with inappropriate language or explicit words, but grammar shouldn't really be edited as long as the meaning is clear, it kind of brings out the personality of the different members. Like some people like to add some bit of pidgin english to their posts (or use pidgin through out) or add some other native language. So abeg if u wan edit make u edit small small o
Re: Editing Posts by Namio1(f): 3:49pm On Jun 02, 2005
Editing is ok as far as the message of the post is not distorted.
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2005
The editor makes every effort not to alter the meaning of a post. Sometimes a thesaurus is used!
Re: Editing Posts by exago(m): 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2005
To start with, how many of "nairalanders" bother to use the spell checker'. When you are mostly in a hurry to beat the clock at the cafe, its difficult to send post without leaving out at least one or two things wrong or left out of the post.

Editing is fine with me, if the reason for the post is left intact.

As to Seun doing all the editting .... cool. Lets keep praying for Him
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 4:38pm On Jun 02, 2005
Amen grin. There are things that can be done to redce the editing load that I haven't done yet.
Re: Editing Posts by Vieira(m): 10:12am On Jun 13, 2005
If editin is down to changing swear words or correcting spelling/grammer then I support it.

But if it is just rephrasing a statement that wasn't incorrect or abusive but just becuase the admin thinks it sound better then I think that should not happen plus it will probably take up a lot of your time doing that.
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 10:26am On Jun 13, 2005
The three things I correct are: spelling, grammar, and formatting.

Abusive statements are not rephrased; they are deleted or crossed out.

Incorrect or misleading statements are not rephrased either. They are usualy corrected by other forum members through normal posts. More serious mis-statements might be crossed out.
Re: Editing Posts by Pinky(f): 10:38pm On Jun 27, 2005
Seun:

Automatic Post Reformatting

What I [I]don't[/I] like about post editing is that it takes a lot of time.  One option is to design a special piece of software that can automatically reformat a post, making it easy to read and so on.

Another option is to implement some form of revision control in the forum software, so that even when a post has been edited you can still retrieve the original version of the post.  With revision control, it is possible for us to have 2-15 editors who can share the work of editing.
[/quote
i agree with u on reversion control]
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 8:07am On Jun 29, 2005
Yes, but I don't have the resources to implement full revision control on this forum, so we have to look for another way. The best way to start, I guess, is by educating users about how to save the editors' time.
Re: Editing Posts by CimonJorr(m): 4:57am On Jun 30, 2005
Seun:

The three things I correct are: spelling, grammar, and formatting.

Abusive statements are not rephrased; they are deleted or crossed out.

Incorrect or misleading statements are not rephrased either.  They are usualy corrected by other forum members through normal posts.  More serious mis-statements might be crossed out.

thanks for the correct spelling of grammar.. was beginning to think that the lot of nairaland members believed the correct spelling to be "grammer"..

One thing though... sometimes a word might be deliberately mis-spelt for effect..

"Shey" you understand...   wink
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 8:33am On Jun 30, 2005
The only way we can sustain this manual method of moderatio and editing is to apoint new moderators.
Re: Editing Posts by Pinky(f): 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2005
Seun:

The only way we can sustain this manual method of moderatio and editing is to apoint new moderators.
ok lets's start
Re: Editing Posts by IAH(f): 8:10pm On Jul 01, 2005
You could edit posts for typographical and grammatical errors. But when you over-edit some posts, you kill the fun and a guest might not really have a blast browsing through this forum. You don't need to make it too stiff and formal. Hey! It's a forum for expressing our opinions and minds "AS IS". Even great writers like Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Shakespeare injected bits of "informalities" just to make the readers go with the flow.
I am actually referring to my post where "waaaaaaaaaay" became "way". Trying to stress the word shows exactly how MUCH more I mean and it does not make it hard for a reader to decipher, does it? Anyway.... cool
Re: Editing Posts by Vieira(m): 12:18am On Jul 02, 2005
IAH:

You could edit posts for typographical and grammatical errors. But when you over-edit some posts, you kill the fun and a guest might not really have a blast browsing through this forum. You don't need to make it too stiff and formal. Hey! It's a forum for expressing our opinions and minds "AS IS". Even great writers like Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Shakespeare injected bits of "informalities" just to make the readers go with the flow.
I am actually referring to my post where "waaaaaaaaaay" became "way". Trying to stress the word shows exactly how MUCH more I mean and it does not make it hard for a reader to decipher, does it? Anyway.... cool

shocked shocked shocked

I agree with you 100%
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 9:36am On Jul 02, 2005
I understand. But once you get used to this restriction, you will discover that it is possible to express yourself adequately using proper English!
Re: Editing Posts by IAH(f): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2005
Seun:

Oh well...looks like you don't edit your own posts!!! angry
Re: Editing Posts by Vieira(m): 3:01pm On Jul 02, 2005
Seun:

I understand. But once you get used to this restriction, you will discover that it is possible to express yourself adequately using proper English!

We all do not speak the same way Seun and the use of strictly proper english is very prohibitive. I even could use proper english and still not be understood and you may start editing it thinking it is slang.

I think you need to relax a bit and let us yarn in our own naija way, it is a thing to celebrate and not suppress.
Re: Editing Posts by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 02, 2005
with the way things stand, i forsee a crazy time between seun and his modertors, who ever they will be.
Re: Editing Posts by pkrix(m): 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2005
@ IAH informal language should be well accepted and not edited
Re: Editing Posts by Seun(m): 9:32pm On Jul 06, 2005
Don't forget that it pays me not to moderate/edit at all, since it saves my time. I find it difficult to believe that it will be in the best interest of the forum, however.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dear Mods, Why Are My Posts Playing A Disappearing Act? / Aisha2 (Pro CPC) Sacked By Seun (Pro PDP) For Abuse Of Position And Insolence! / Photos: Bus Preacher Beaten To Coma In Lagos After Condoms Fell Out From Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.