Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? (14737 Views)

States In Nigeria And The Predominant Car Brand They Use / Using Of Lacquer Thinner In Gas Tank As A Cat And Injector Cleaner, How Safe? / Suv Or Saloon Car? Brand New Or Used? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by deemeji: 3:26pm On May 09, 2008
Chinese Automobiles - beware of them, they may be ridiculously cheap, but safety and quality is not in the Chinese dictionary for now. they are looking for big ignorant market like Nigeria

Beware of Chinese brand new cars that are flooding our markets, They are death traps, check this picture. , can you imagine that the Air bags did not go off!
The road safety official who was part of the rescue team said it was amazing that with the impact of the accident and that the car somersaulted into the bush and the air bags did not go off.

This car was barely one month old, according to police report, the owner complained that the steering was swerving on its own accord just less than 2wks of purchase. The brand new car was returned and worked on, only for the car to had an accident as the old problem resurfaced.

According to eye witness - the occupants in the car, the car swerve on its own, on three occasion before the accident, the road was smooth, no collision with any car, it just swerve uncontrollably and crash into a big ditch, all the occupants sustaining various degrees of injuries. One of the occupant is currently receiving treatment at igbobi with fracture arms and legs.

Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 3:40pm On May 09, 2008
deemeji,
I don't know about the streering problems and I am not holding breif for lifan but generally, steering and dashboard mounted airbags will only deploy in a frontal impact collision.

So it is not a surpise that they did not deploy when the car sommersaulted. Furthermoe, the impact needs also to be severe enough to trigger them. Can you show us a picture of the front of the car??

This is not rason enough to trash Chinese made cars.

It was the same story with hyundai and kia a couple of years ago.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by nkc(m): 3:45pm On May 09, 2008
wat they should incorporate also is side curtain impact airbags, it would have helped in this case, suppose d front aint bad
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by deemeji: 4:04pm On May 09, 2008
take a look yourself whenever you are at ogere. From the police reports gathered, the owner has taken them to court and 4 Chinese engineers were arround the day i took this pictures. Gani chambers are involved in case. unfortunately i could not talk with them that day as the lawyer forbade them to speak to us. i was able to speak with one of the occupant- the accident victim who came to give their statement at the police station that day.

the driver of the dealer who was driving the GM or the sales manager who were there that day complain about the steering wheel of the car and that it was experience that he use in driving!

This is Nigeria, according to the road safety official, that was not the first, but this particular one is the most tragic they ve witness.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Reptyle(m): 4:34pm On May 09, 2008
Ha!!! You mean someone came out of this alive? God is great o!!! shocked shocked shocked But I think I agree with fotodaddy that an accident like this one isn't enough reason to trash Chinese cars. I agree they need a lot of work but I'm sure they will get there. The steering issue may have simply been a manufacturing defect and what the man should have done was to return the car and ask for it to be changed. Especially since the issue started after only a few weeks. A colleague of mine uses a Lifan and he has been full of nothing but praise for the car since he bought it in January this year.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Busta(f): 4:36pm On May 09, 2008
What is the name of the brand?
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 4:46pm On May 09, 2008
I remember that on this forum someone posted exactly the same problem with another brand of car. Steering appearing to have a mind of its own!!

Naija, which one police get with car manufacturer inside accident again!! And lawyer sef don join mouth!! Ah black man we get problem tongue

The moo moo owner wey dey "manage" the car nko?? No case fopr moo moo?? angry

If the car was so bad then no one would have come out of it alive. One of the main functions of the body cell structure is to still leave enough space for the occupants, inspite of a crash. And obviously this did very well. Me I support Lifan.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by deemeji: 5:28pm On May 09, 2008
fotodady

try and be objective! but is useless to preach objectivity to you, since you said you support lifan. let us presents facts and objective views. do a simple search on google and you tube videos with this search terms and report back to this forum. " lifan failed crash test'' you will see scores of failed chinese cars crash tests with lifan topping the list.

we should use this forum to promote objectivity.agree u may be selling chinese cars, but be objective. like i said i could not speak with them for their lawyer forbade them. it could be you or your relative tommorow.

did you know that lifan was rejected in america and germany because of failed crash test. it was november that it passed crash test in russia and it was another brand sedan lifan not the lifan 500 series scraps they send to nigeria. why did lifan went to site their plant in ethopia for producing these lifan 500 series? do they have crash tests facilities there?

visit www.chinacarforums.com for details.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 5:51pm On May 09, 2008
deemeji, Thank you for your advice!! I need just that in my life right now tongue

The next thing you go dey yab lifan motorcycle etc. You get what you pay for my friend!!! Simple.

You think say for the price of a lifan you can have the security of an MB 600 SEC. You are dreaming lipsrsealed

Why you no pick your fight with SON and other regulatory agencies wey no do them work.

Black man, when we go wake up!!! tongue
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by nkc(m): 6:40pm On May 09, 2008
@busta

LIFAN is d name of d car, so u reach dis areas grin
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by deemeji: 6:55pm On May 09, 2008
I said it earlier or implied it in my title that one should avoid concept cheap and affordable at the expense of quality. i am not prejudiced against Lifan , just presentation of facts. i sent this also to china car forum so they that they will know we know and change their mentality towards us as ignorant people.

I am trying to get as many people enlightened of the need to seek and demand for quality. for instance i expect the road safety commission to have equipment to test brand new cars into this country. they are suppose to be agents SON will refer to in ascertaining the quality of these cars.

I became interested in this matter, weeks before i stumble on this accident car at Ogere, when a colleague told me that the brochure and manual that comes with the Lifan car is different from the physical features of the car. when we pointed this to the sales man, he told us that was why they are cheap! add one and one together, they must have been dumped here! only for me to see the same car without collision, or overspeeding 100km! and see the wreakage.

if we do not speak out, they will continue, any of our ignorant brothers and sisters who do not have the enlightenment tool like us could fall for this deadly decoy anytime.

do u also know that this steering problem do not manifest until you approch a speed of 100km! some people with the car including the driver of the dealer attested to this fact.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Busta(f): 7:56pm On May 09, 2008
nkc:

@busta

LIFAN is d name of d car, so u reach this areas grin

neva heard of it

and I try to reach everywhere as long as i gain something from it. one neva know . . u gotta learn everyday grin
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by nkc(m): 7:59pm On May 09, 2008
@busta

yeah its new , a chinese product

pls do go around learn as much, it will sure help, and have retaintive(is dat d spellin grin) memory
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 7:19pm On Jun 15, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by longmanjay: 3:33am On Jul 05, 2008
na waoh! say person comes out of this wreckage alive? Lifan you say abi, typical of the chinese good design and packaging,

alex akinyele son was not that lucky. The jeep model from the same manufacturer. Serious factory defect was also the complaint. i think one should give deeji kudos for that info. i went to do a simple search as he said, the cars from this chinese manufacturer were rejected in america. do you know that they are not even sold in china, i mean the particular model they dump in nigeria!!

people are cruel! i met one of their reseler salesman from emel motors, run by indians. their conclusions and side of their story were terrible. their arguement, that was how toyota and even of recent kia were killing people b4 they became toast of the people, u can see how people are mean.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by longmanjay: 3:41am On Jul 05, 2008
i want fotodaddy to be careful of his remarks. a lot of us have been following your posts and have regard for your indepth of cars. you should have done the simple search as suggested by deemeji.

i did it and was suprise the way information pass through our nose and we do not use it. you should champion what deemeji is doing. it is your trade and you have the moral justification to protect it. Lifan should be ban from Nigeria. go to the net and see what i mean. the lifan brand sold in Nigeria is not sold in china!!! in fact it is the same one that failed the crash and safety test in US and Germany that they are shiping here, they dismantle the plant and site it in ethopia where they know they do not have these sophisticated testing equipment

they site the plant in ethopia where they will be shipping these death cars to naija. if now anybody with it , just tell them not to do more than 100km per hr.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 05, 2008
From all accounts, not safe at all.

As deadly as generalized cancer.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by nkc(m): 10:33am On Jul 05, 2008
ivie, u r rite

structurally that car is not okay, but at least before they do side airbags, they will also reinforce some parts , maybe it will open there eyes grin
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by nkc(m): 10:35am On Jul 05, 2008
at all who r angainst fotodaddy

u guys dont understand d angle he is coming from,

he said lifan has poor design, but that does not mean ALL CHINESE CARS ARE BAD,

hope u guys understand .
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 10:27pm On Jul 05, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 10:44pm On Jul 05, 2008
Ivvie:

NKC,

Lets not deceive ourselves - life is black or white. It's either it is true or a lie. No such thing as a middle ground in a battle front. All chinese cars are bad.

SO you know and have tested ALL the Chinese cars abi!!??!!

How do educated people make these kind of statements??

And by the way, what is your definition of "BAD"

You might be interested to know that so called "good" cars currently sold in Nigeria are not allower in Europe or America.

There is currently no car sold in Western Europe or The USA that is not equiped with Supllimentary Restraint System (Driver and passenger airbags being the minimum.) Yet you have the Chevrolets, Toyotas, Hyundais, Kia all being sold as brand new without this basic safety equipment.

So lets forget about what is good and what is bad by your or my standard.

The bottom line is that you the consumer has a choice and you WILL get what you pay for. tongue cool
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 10:56pm On Jul 05, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by samboribo(m): 11:35pm On Jul 05, 2008
even chinese phones are not completely properly made. rings like what has lost its tweeters. now, you expect a car from them to be top-knotch? remember, a nigerian man somewhere has bought land(s), built a house(s) and invested big time from the Lifan contract. so even if the seat itself has an airbag that doesn't come out when necessary, nobody is bothered because nigerians on the world map are seen with almost no choice/standard.

the patient at igbobi, i pray he comes out complete.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by boriswole: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2008
Made in china!!!, most electronics and cars have chinese inputs,the chinese actually know what they are doin and they can come up with cars as good as the mercedes if they want to. What usually happens is that our fellow nigerians go there and assure them that if they manufacture this particular substandard car it is going to be accepted in nigeria, in my opinion, its our businessmen that convince them that if they drop the quality and price they'll hav thousand of sales in nigeria.
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 9:38am On Jul 06, 2008
boriswole:

Made in china!!!, most electronics and cars have chinese inputs,the chinese actually know what they are doin and they can come up with cars as good as the mercedes if they want to. What usually happens is that our fellow nigerians go there and assure them that if they manufacture this particular substandard car it is going to be accepted in nigeria, in my opinion, its our businessmen that convince them that if they drop the quality and price they'll hav thousand of sales in nigeria.

I cant agree with you more!!! The same happens with all other items manufactured in China. My top of the line multifunctional fax/scan/copier/printer is made in china!! And the same applies to my Generator (which is pretty expensive compared to other brands from China; 140K for 3kVA)

Like I said, you get what you pay for.

@ ivvie
You still talk about all cars and I am pretty sure you have never even been to China. So how can you so confidently say "all chinese cars". You made a lot of comments but you failed to answer the issues I raised. I can confidently say that you dont even know 10% of the vehicles manufactured in China, neither do you know the Chinese regulations governing car manufacture or even by what standards they are produced. You are an educated guy, so think about what you are saying na

fotodaddy:

SO you know and have tested ALL the Chinese cars abi!!??!!

How do educated people make these kind of statements??

And by the way, what is your definition of "BAD"

You might be interested to know that so called "good" cars currently sold in Nigeria are not allower in Europe or America.

There is currently no car sold in Western Europe or The USA that is not equiped with Supllimentary Restraint System (Driver and passenger airbags being the minimum.) Yet you have the Chevrolets, Toyotas, Hyundais, Kia all being sold as brand new without this basic safety equipment.

So lets forget about what is good and what is bad by your or my standard.

The bottom line is that you the consumer has a choice and you WILL get what you pay for. tongue cool

Answer to these before you continue bashing these cars na wink wink
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 7:30am On Jul 07, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by longmanjay: 8:51pm On Jul 07, 2008
I met a man with a Lifan car on Saturday at Anthony village. (the lifan car not different from hydai accent in design even better). we got talking, you just got to hear him. He is a an ederly driver for a logistic company in that same vicinity. He was full of woes on this same lifan car. According to him, they have gotten 2 Lifan cars from one emel motors at ijora December last year. The 2 cars were full of problems, from kick starter to the cooling system. they had to return one and even the replacement HAD ALIGNMENT PROBLEM WHEN YOU APPROACH 100km!!!!

we got talking and he mentioned how they were approached by a man who bought a lifan car and warn them about speeding with the car above 100km. He hinted me that the man lifan case ( i guess the same shown above) is handled presently by Gani chambers as the owner has taken them to court. The owner he said has accosted them sometimes last march, came to their office to warn them about speeding with the car. he offer to take me to Gani chambers, though they gave no details but confirm that they have such brief.

So with this suit and the post by sultaan , a word is enough for the wise, AVOID CHINESE CAR FOR NOW UNTIL THEY FINISHED THEIR GUINEA PIG TESTING ON IGNORANT PEOPLE THAT BUYS CHEAP POOR QUALITY PRODUCTS, agree partially with fotodaddy to the extent of avoiding cheap n poor quality Chinese car
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by sunej(m): 10:11pm On Jul 07, 2008
With My general experience on Chinese products, I'll support Dimmeji, I consider most Chinese products to be inferior, Just check the issues of Chinese Generators, phones, computers, flash disks, etc, u can never enjoy them for up to a year. All they do is mass production without a particular attention to what they produce.
I rather spend more and get better quality!
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 4:51am On Jul 08, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 2:35pm On Jul 08, 2008
@Ivvie

You still have not answered the issues I raised. You just went on and on but at the end what?? I will have you know that the CHERY QQ is a clone of one of GM's best selling small cars (Daewoo Matiz) but I am sure you knew that already, and I can also dig out videos from youtube for the Smart and other small cars to show you how "fragile" they are.

Meanwhile, can you explain to me how a good car maker will build a car so inferior that a knock from a minivan will cause it to cut into two and even go so far as to actually remove the axle altogether.

Let the pictures speak for themselves. One thing I can tell you is that it is not a chinese car!!

Meanwhile, the last picture is of the boot section of the car, which was completely severed!

Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by Ivvie: 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2008
`
Re: Chinese Automobiles: Lifan - New Chinese Car Brand In Nigeria, How Safe? by fotodaddy: 9:05pm On Jul 08, 2008
Ivvie:

Fottodaddy,

I did answer your question. A car isn't safe by the number of restrainst system but structural rigidity (collision characteristics) and intergrity (or how it translates KE). I don't know much about car models but I will make one thing clear. GM cars are not safe cars. Highway safety crash tests in the US. are done with 50% offset frontal crash impact test at 25 to 40 mph. Most of the tests are done at approx. 30 mph. This is how 5 stars are rated. In common sense, unrealistic. Volvo, Saab, VW and some mid priced euro vehicles are done in their facilities at 85 to 115 mph and not just linear impact but various dynamic impacts at angles imagined. Also air projectile tests and roll overs are considered. It is done numerous times. GM as a standard or any japanese automaker doesn't cut it. I am unaware that Daewoo crossed over as one of a reputable kind. To be a top seller, it must be a fancy car. As this posts asks, chinese cars aren't safe and that is what the truth implies.

Concerning the question you asked on the build quality, I can explain that but that will turn this post over; deviating it from its original intent. I will also have to explain it using science and economics (greed).

To be factual, I am not condemning you nor your logic or the way you want to see things. In real life (I mean using our cognitive understanding), it is performing poorly.

OK, let me understand, what you are saying then is that, if cars fail the same tests that make you say all chinese cars are unsafe, then we can conclude that all cars are unsafe. Period!!

meanwhile you forget

fotodaddy:

@Ivvie
Meanwhile, can you explain to me how a good car maker will build a car so inferior that a knock from a minivan will cause it to cut into two and even go so far as to actually remove the axle altogether.

Let the pictures speak for themselves. One thing I can tell you is that it is not a chinese car!!

Ol boy you don win. Me I don tire to try to prove to you say your statement "all chinese Cars" no dey 100% correct.

Everybody buy the car wey your money fit get, pray to God make you no get accident and go on rocking!!! smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

8 Quick Car Hacks You Should Know / Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? / Solar-powered Cars For Nigerians By 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.