Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,300 members, 7,780,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:03 PM

Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home (42271 Views)

Learn How To Make Yoghurt In Small Scale Or In Factory Size / Learn How To Make Yoghurt. / How Can One Make Yoghurt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
Thank u in advance
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cityhood: 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2013
good well it simple buth let me askd you one question
Are you doing to sell or supply all your client out there lik scholls,fast foods,etc
If so no niid to waste time preparing to avoid complains from all your constomer i can be buying in both small and larg quantities.of yogot of difrnt sizes dt what i do am in the northern part off nigeria and there were you can get the best fura or nunu or best refind yugot nd it chipa and beta just giv me a call 08169446319
As customer saatisfaction is our own major concern
You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by LarrySun(m): 10:56pm On Jun 21, 2013
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by cityhood: 11:03am On Jun 22, 2013
ok
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jun 22, 2013
It's been long I tried this recipe. I got it from a family friend but it worked.

1. mix 2 glasses of milk to 1 glass of boiling/hot water and stir in a bowl or container
2. Add 1 to 2 spoons of white sugar (optional I think)
2. Add one or two spoons of an existing (flavorless) yogurt to the mix and stir (this acts as a culture/bacteria that helps in making the yoghurt)
3. Put in a bowl with cover and put in a food warmer for several hours (if at night, leave it overnight in the warmer)
4. Open the next day. it will look and feel thicker. Stir and refrigerate.
You can also add honey to taste and eat with fruit.

Try it and let me know how it works for you. It really isn't difficult and I'm surprised no one has put up a recipe.

Here's a link from the web as well. It also has pictures so you can follow step-by step: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt

The more you do it, the better you get and the more you can tweak it the way you want. I hope this helps

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Nobody: 3:32am On Jun 30, 2013
pash4naija: It's been long I tried this recipe. I got it from a family friend but it worked.

1. mix 2 glasses of milk to 1 glass of boiling/hot water and stir in a bowl or container
2. Add 1 to 2 spoons of white sugar (optional I think)
2. Add one or two spoons of an existing (flavorless) yogurt to the mix and stir (this acts as a culture/bacteria that helps in making the yoghurt)
3. Put in a bowl with cover and put in a food warmer for several hours (if at night, leave it overnight in the warmer)
4. Open the next day. it will look and feel thicker. Stir and refrigerate.
You can also add honey to taste and eat with fruit.

Try it and let me know how it works for you. It really isn't difficult and I'm surprised no one has put up a recipe.

Here's a link from the web as well. It also has pictures so you can follow step-by step: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Yogurt

The more you do it, the better you get and the more you can tweak it the way you want. I hope this helps
thanks a lot. Will update u as I proceed.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2013
@op where do u stay? Is fresh milk available or are you planning to use powdered milk. Let me know so dat i'll know how to direct you if u are using powdered milk cos dats what i use.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by TopeMel(f): 1:58pm On Jul 08, 2013
Please what do you mean by existing yoghurt? Do we buy one of the yoghurts sold in the supermarkets?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 09, 2013
breadplanet: @op where do u stay? Is fresh milk available or are you planning to use powdered milk. Let me know so dat i'll know how to direct you if u are using powdered milk cos dats what i use.
I am in Lagos , where I wan see fresh milk? Na powdered milk I know where to get
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 1:17pm On Jul 09, 2013
I can't believe dat my longggg post has disappeared. @idprincess i'll type it again later.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 8:40pm On Jul 09, 2013
1. Buy powdered milk and powdered yogurt culture (Yogurmet) its N250 per satchet. 2. Boil water and sterilize your measuring cup, spoons, bowl, sieve and pot.
3. Measure out 2cups powdered milk and mix in 4 cups water.
4. Put milk on fire and bring ALMOST to a boil.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool until warm (when u can hold a finger in d milk for some seconds without getting burnt)
6. Use sm of d warm milk to mix a satchet of Yogurmet then introduce to the rest of d milk and mix properly.
7. Pour the milk through a sieve into the bowl you'll use to incubate and cover.

10 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 9:02pm On Jul 09, 2013
8. Pour hot water into a cooler ( as hot as you can bath with without wounding yourself).
9. Put the bowl of warm milk into the cooler, if it floats hold it down with something ( i use breakable bowls).
10. Cover tightly and leave to incubate for at least 8hrs (they write 4hrs on the yogurmet satchet but trust me that is not enough).
11. U can check after like 5hrs to see if d water had cooled down considerably. If it has top it off with hot water (but i dont bother with this when i incubate overnite). Pls don't jolt the bowl.
12. After 8hrs open the bowl and bend it a bit u'll see that d yogurt has set.
13. Refrigerate immediately without turning it for like 2 to 4 hrs but if u want to eat immediately put it in d freezer for at least 1 hr b4 eating.
NOTE: one satchet of yogurmet is for 4cups of milk which you'll get with dis recipe.
PLEASE dnt finish the yogurt o i know its sweet but dis one as far as im concerned is just the starter for subsequent yogurts. I just use small white nylon and tie as much as possible (4tablespoons each) put in a container and into the freezer.
Then whenever i feel like yogurt i just take one nylon and start the process all over again just dat now i mix in the yogurt not the powdered culture.
This time around it takes just 5 to 6 hrs for the yogurt to set i just leave it longer for as much as 12hrs depending on how sour i want it. And with each nylon (4tablespoons) i use 4cups powdered milk to 8cups water.
It's long i know but once u get the hang of it its quite easy.
Happy yogurt making!

22 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 09, 2013
breadplanet: 8. Pour hot water into a cooler ( as hot as you can bath with without wounding yourself).
9. Put the bowl of warm milk into the cooler, if it floats hold it down with something ( i use breakable bowls).
10. Cover tightly and leave to incubate for at least 8hrs (they write 4hrs on the yogurmet satchet but trust me that is not enough).
11. U can check after like 5hrs to see if d water had cooled down considerably. If it has top it off with hot water (but i dont bother with this when i incubate overnite). Pls don't jolt the bowl.
13. Refrigerate immediately without turning it for like 2 to 4 hrs but if u want to eat immediately put it in d freezer for at least 1 hr b4 eating.
NOTE: one satchet of yogurmet is for 4cups of milk which you'll get with dis recipe.
PLEASE dnt finish the yogurt o i know its sweet but dis one as far as im concerned is just the starter for subsequent yogurts. I just use small white nylon and tie as much as possible (4tablespoons each) put in a container and into the freezer.
Then whenever i feel like yogurt i just take one nylon and start the process all over again just dat now i mix in the yogurt not the powdered culture.
This time around it takes just 5 to 6 hrs for the yogurt to set i just leave it longer for as much as 12hrs depending on how sour i want it. And with each nylon (4tablespoons) i use 4cups powdered milk to 8cups water.
Happy yogurt making!
you are a gem! Thank u very very much!!!
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 5:26am On Jul 10, 2013
smileyyou are welcome.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Ucheaaron(m): 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2013
To make a great and delicious yogurt @ home check here http://www.buufayrecipes.com/2013/07/how-to-prepare-your-own-delicious.html wink cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by artade: 5:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
breadplanet: 1. Buy powdered milk and powdered yogurt culture (Yogurmet) its N250 per satchet. 2. Boil water and sterilize your measuring cup, spoons, bowl, sieve and pot.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool until warm (when u can hold a finger in d milk for some seconds without getting burnt)
6. Use sm of d warm milk to mix a satchet of Yogurmet then introduce to the rest of d milk and mix properly.
7. Pour the milk through a sieve into the bowl you'll use to incubate and cover.

Thank you very much, breadplanet! Any idea where I can get Yogourmet in Lagos, please?
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanet(f): 11:51am On Dec 30, 2013
@ artade I buy mine where they sell baking products here in d east. So check baking stores in lag. Sowie i cant read ur email ive been having problems with opening my box.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by artade: 7:53am On Jan 01, 2014
breadplanet: @ artade I buy mine where they sell baking products here in d east.

I spent a whole day checking The Palms shopping mall in Lag, all to no avail. I'll follow your suggestion. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by gabe: 11:57am On Jan 12, 2016
Thanks @breadplanet. My stuff is always very watery because I used too much water to dissolve d powdered milk.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:22pm On Jan 12, 2016
Choi! Where this thread resurrect from o. E don tey....
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Dominionhost(m): 7:53am On Feb 08, 2016
Good job here
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by capnies: 9:45am On Feb 26, 2016
thanks
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Ebonysydney: 8:43pm On May 06, 2016
breadplanets:
Choi! Where this thread resurrect from o. E don tey....
Hello! Pls could you tell me where I can get the yogourmet starter culture satchet you mentioned earlier? I'm in Lagos. Thanks.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 12:44pm On May 07, 2016
Ebonysydney:
Hello! Pls could you tell me where I can get the yogourmet starter culture satchet you mentioned earlier? I'm in Lagos. Thanks.
Whats the name of dat market on d island again o. Ehh...... Akpongbon!! Biko pardon my spelling u knw wharam talking about. I saw it there. Im sure it would be on d mainland too but i dont know where
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by gbogboade(f): 2:08pm On May 07, 2016
No need of adding gelatine abi
cos someone told me dey add gelatin to it.
thanks.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by breadplanets(f): 3:35pm On May 07, 2016
gbogboade:
No need of adding gelatine abi cos someone told me dey add gelatin to it. thanks.
Abeg how dem dey take add the gelatine? Im open to new ideas
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by omobusayo(f): 5:58pm On May 07, 2016
You can use a ready made plain yougurt as a starter like farm fresh unsweetened yougurt. U can also use your oven or microwave as an incubator,just put on d oven or microwave for 2 mins and switch it off and cover the milk with a towel and leave it in d oven or microwave overnite.
N.B: 2 tablespoons of plain yougurt for 1litre of milk

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by Origin(f): 9:15am On Jul 15, 2016
Very interesting write up. I really appreciate the contributions.

Please can anyone help with how and where to source for fresh milk, the bacteria culture(probiotics), and any other ingredient for making an all natural yoghurt from scratch in Lagos.

It's for personal consumption. Old yoghurt may not be made from one's preferred ingredients.
Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by LiteKing(m): 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2016
breadplanet:
@op where do u stay? Is fresh milk available or are you planning to use powdered milk. Let me know so dat i'll know how to direct you if u are using powdered milk cos dats what i use.
pls can u lecture me on a one on one class on Whatsapp?

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by 4tunebest(f): 6:17pm On Jul 20, 2016
breadplanet:
1. Buy powdered milk and powdered yogurt culture (Yogurmet) its N250 per satchet. 2. Boil water and sterilize your measuring cup, spoons, bowl, sieve and pot.

1 Like

Re: Pls How Do I Make Yoghurt @ Home by 4tunebest(f): 6:18pm On Jul 20, 2016
breadplanet:
8. Pour hot water into a cooler ( as hot as you can bath with without wounding yourself).
Happy yogurt making!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Cooked Hot Rice And Stew For ₦ 700 As A Single Guy / Secret To Party Jollof Rice- Lets Discuss The Secret To Cooking Party Jollof :-) / Between Semovita/semolina/wheatmeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.