Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,115 members, 7,807,361 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (17206 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by MsAfroZest(f): 8:25am On Jun 21, 2013
First of all sickle cell anaemia is not a death sentence and can be managed. Crisis are bound to happen but you can reduce them to the barest minimum. First medications like Folic acid(folate) and proguanil can help. Folic acids helps to maintain blood level and proguanil is an anti malaria which also have some anti sickling properties,then analgesics like paracetamol for the occasional pain(P.S not pains associated with crisis cos Paracetamol won't do nothing). Second, SCD patient need plenty and plenty of water aka fluid therapy. Infact this should be the first step in management. They need extra fluid to allow easy passage of sickle blood cell through blood capillaris. Third, healthy diet. They need to eat lots of fruit and veggies. Avoid food with too much sugar. Fourth, avoid stress in what ever form physically, emotionally etc. Avoid extreme weathers. During cold weathers they could take drugs like ibuprofen this could help with the pains associated with cold weathers. SCD patients don't need pity they need love and understanding. If you are an AA go ahead and marry an SS. Be the rock and light in their life. But an AS+AS is a definite NoNo.will be back to contribute more but for now I've got work to do. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 8:25am On Jun 21, 2013
FACT 4: “Nigeria has highest number of people with sickle cell disease worldwide” - Prof A. Falusi, President, SCHAF #

And some will still want to hold that First position or Highest number status, by claiming Love and going into AS/AS Marital relationship.
SAY NO TO AS/AS MARITAL RELATIONSHIP. If you must marry please go in for adoption, Love is a selfish reason for bringing untoward pain to that innocent child.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by juman(m): 8:35am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013: SAY NO TO AS/AS MARITAL RELATIONSHIP. If you must marry please go in for adoption, Love is a selfish reason for bringing untoward pain to that innocent child.

We should avoid putting other people in pain.

SAY NO TO AS/AS MARITAL RELATIONSHIP.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by xandy84: 8:37am On Jun 21, 2013
Reading through all dis responses move me to tears.. Guess is time to get tested and know my gene so as not to make wrong decision cos life is 2 short... For all those sufferer, my heart goes out toward U n have strength in the lord..
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 8:41am On Jun 21, 2013
xandy84: Reading through all dis responses move me to tears.. Guess is time to get tested and know my gene so as not to make wrong decision cos life is 2 short... For all those sufferer, my heart goes out toward U n have strength in the lord..
Please get tested, and if possible go to one of the Teaching Hospitals (or a good reputable Lab) in your area.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 21, 2013
Muh: Please advise, can scd patience continue to take it malaria medicine with cellod-s together.
yes you can.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by juman(m): 8:48am On Jun 21, 2013
Hmmm!

Sickle cell disease is serious thing. Love should have part two for those in AS/AS marital relationship.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 21, 2013
annoymous:

Cellod-s is an anti-sickling agent. It can't change someone's genotype from SS to AA. And I don't like the blowing your trumpet part.
its not about blowing my trumpet, queen already gave me a very good reply and I'm following from there. No time to waste on insignificant issues. What matters most is bringing peace to sufferers.

I said claims and I didn't say it was backed by empirical evidence.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Theeni: 9:02am On Jun 21, 2013
And what after CVS? And abortion? You know how much CVS costs and how readily accessible it is? That 25% means 1 in 4 children right? But it's a ratio mind you. You could have 3 kids with all being HbSS. It doesn't come in any particular order. Try visiting a paediatric emergency and see the agony of these kids in crisis. Many by the time they are 25 are already using walking sticks. Pregnancy and labour is similar to a death sentence for a sickler. Please, don't do AS + AS, AS + AC, if you love your partner you will definitely want to avoid the turbulence that your future holds. Don't go down the path
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 9:04am On Jun 21, 2013
blink182: its not about blowing my trumpet, queen already gave me a very good reply and I'm following from there. No time to waste on insignificant issues. What matters most is bringing peace to sufferers.

I said claims and I didn't say it was backed by empirical evidence.
Oya carry ursef to our fb group sharp sharp.lol
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
Blink my brother Warrior, I have been trying to reach out to people the little way I can. Yes, I have not been a Crusader for Cellod-s because I don't want anybody mis-understanding my Campaign for awareness. I am not here to solicit for fund, but to create awareness and educate people the little I can.
In person and privately I have given sufferers advice about Cellod-s. Also Blink, like Binte said we have NAIJA SICKLE CELL WARRIORS on facebook. I expected you to have come on board and do your bid.
Moreover, you know how difficult it is to get post to the front page. I decided to use topics I have created on SCD as my signature.
will definitely join the group. Yeah at first I was careful with telling people about cellod-s but the more I entered the field the more I had to change my approach until I got to my present spot.

Presently, I don't want to hear stories of suffering and financial draw back. I simply want to solve your health problem. 'Take cellod-s and chill' that's my slogan.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Theeni: 9:06am On Jun 21, 2013
Bay1970: Being AS and having AS wife/husband is not end of the world, it gives you only 25% of having SS(sickle cell), 25% of AA and 50% of AS. Can it be avoided if posible? yes, but education is only the answer. If you love your AS boy/girl friend, do not let AS stop you from having someone you really love as a life partner; you might end up having a bitch with AA and in hell for the rest of your life. If you are AS with AS wife/husband, please remember to do CVS on every pregency. CVS will detect SC at 12 wks 100%.

And what after CVS? And abortion? You know how much CVS costs and how readily accessible it is? That 25% means 1 in 4 children right? But it's a ratio mind you. You could have 3 kids with all being HbSS. It doesn't come in any particular order. Try visiting a paediatric emergency and see the agony of these kids in crisis. Many by the time they are 25 are already using walking sticks. Pregnancy and labour is similar to a death sentence for a sickler. Please, don't do AS + AS, AS + AC, if you love your partner you will definitely want to avoid the turbulence that your future holds. Don't go down the path
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
I did a little bit of brain work to come out with a catchy Title to see if the MOD's of the Health section can take it to the Front page. I created about three topics on SCD, and this one was selected.
I will keep posting tweets about SCD, every now and then to help keep the thread alive.
nairaland is too restricted, that's the reason I work off here. Planning a campaign here soon through ads to see how it measures.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 21, 2013
AND TODAY I REMEMBER MAUREEN AND KARO MY THEN NEIGHBORS, ALSO I REMEMBER MARY AND TONY MY COUSINS AND BUDDIES. REPORT HAS IT THAT ONCE YOU ABOVE THE AGE OF 30 YOU OUTLIVE SICKLE CELL. THEIR DEATH (tony and karo) CAME AS A RUDE SHOCK TO US THAT ONE CRISIS AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS OF NONE TOOK THEM

THE CASE OF MARY AND MAUREEN IS STILL EVERGEEN. THEY NEVER SAID IT BUT WE SAW IT IN THEIR EYES THAT FOR EVERY CRISIS THEY HAD THEY BLAMED THEIR PARENTS. DEATH NO LONGER SCARED THEM THEY ACTUALLY LOOKED FORWARD TO IT CAUSE IT SEEMED THE ONLY PERMANENT RELIEF FROM THE CONSTANT PAIN AND TORMENT THEY SUFFERED. I REMEMBER MARY HAVING THE BIGGEST SMILE EVER ON HER FACE WHEN SHE WENT TO BE THE LORD.

LOVE IS PURE, TRUTHFUL AND DOESNT HURT. IT ALSO IS NOT BLIND. THE JOY OF EVERY PARENT IS TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN EXCEL IN ALL RAMIFICATION OF LIVE AS WELL AS HEALTH. DO THE RIGHT THING TODAY. KNOW YOUR GENOTYPE AND SECURE YOUR CHILDRENS' FUTURE. ITS SELFISH TO PLEASE YOURSELF AT THE EXPENSE OF THEM.

SAVE NO TO BURYING YOUR OWN CHILDREN, MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE TODAY. . .THINK WITH YOUR HEAD AND NOT WITH YOUR HEART.

5 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 21, 2013
queen binte o:
Oya carry ursef to our fb group sharp sharp.lol
yes ma!
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Pdizzle(m): 9:16am On Jun 21, 2013
what a coincidence, why dis exact time, i just cnt stop crying. I got a call ystdy dat dami is dead, why God why, the only child for God sake, dis is d first time dis sickle cell loss is hitting me so bad, dami u were so brillant, ur future was so bright, cnt believe i will come bck after my i.t n u wont be sitting in class with us, tho u were frail n small but what u ve got upstairs is un imaginable, i remember the way u got ur nick name, the whispers n backpasses during exams. God i still cant believe, u were soo lively with ur tiny voice, i remember u stayn to play games after lectures n mama be calln,God why why
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Dolemite(f): 9:17am On Jun 21, 2013
Truly inspirational.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by frankgreat(m): 9:19am On Jun 21, 2013
Pls,don't listen to ur pastor, imam or traditionalist dat says he can cure sickel cell..its a lie, it does have cure..ur blood group doesn't change, if u r AA, u ll b AA till u die so as to if u r SS..secondly, if u r AS, pls I beg u, don't marry anoda AS, if ur love is blind, tell it to go see an optician..

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by MsAfroZest(f): 9:20am On Jun 21, 2013
For some weird reason this thread makes me angry and sad at the same time. Just like HIV, its not only the disease you get to fight but the stigma and rejection you get to face. We are all here talking about people avoiding AS/AS relationship. What about those already living with SS. How many people with the AA gene can truly come out and say I can marry an SS.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by derus(f): 9:26am On Jun 21, 2013
my advice for every1 is to know ur genotype b4 u go into any relationship....becos once u a into it,its very diff to let go
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 9:27am On Jun 21, 2013
Pdizzle: what a coincidence, why dis exact time, i just cnt stop crying. I got a call ystdy dat dami is dead, why God why, the only child for God sake, dis is d first time dis sickle cell loss is hitting me so bad, dami u were so brillant, ur future was so bright, cnt believe i will come bck after my i.t n u wont be sitting in class with us, tho u were frail n small but what u ve got upstairs is un imaginable, i remember the way u got ur nick name, the whispers n backpasses during exams. God i still cant believe, u were soo lively with ur tiny voice, i remember u stayn to play games after lectures n mama be calln,God why why

RIP, to Dami one of the falln heroines.
This Thread is a Wake Up Call.... SILENCE IS NOT AN OPTION WHEN IT COMES TO SICKLE CELL.
SAY NO TO AS/AS MARITAL RELATIONSHIP.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Pdizzle(m): 9:31am On Jun 21, 2013
blink182: yes ma!
pls wat is the group's name
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 9:38am On Jun 21, 2013
Ms.AfroZest:
For some weird reason this thread makes me angry and sad at the same time. Just like HIV, its not only the disease you get to fight but the stigma and rejection you get to face. We are all here talking about people avoiding AS/AS relationship. What about those already living with SS. How many people with the AA gene can truly come out and say I can marry an SS.
Very few. The day a frd told me his fiancee is hbss,I cud nt contain ma joy. Since then I hold I'm in high esteem.now they are married wt a baby girl. So many hbAA won't marry hbSS/SC cos they believe we weill soon die.even if they want to,their fam wil kick against such union unless they are nt aware. I kno pple wt SCD who are happily married wt kids but some of us are stil unfortunate in that rgds.hopefully,we wil get married some day.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 9:42am On Jun 21, 2013
Pdizzle:
pls wat is the group's name
Naija sickle cell warriors. U can also join sickle cell warriors,its a very active forum unlike ours. Their disussions centre on day to day issues faced by pple living wt SCD,their frds,families,gf,bf, Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ name it.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
How many people really care what happens?
Why the Non-Challant attitude, towards Sickle Cell Disease?
I don't care how long it will take, but I have made up my mind to lend my voice to SickleCellAwareness campaign. I am not soliciting for funds, neither am I advertising. But I have made it my life's duty to educate people about SCD. Not only because am a sufferer, but because I am a Survivor.

i dont pity you at all, rather i envy u... lets join voices and reach an even wider coverage. #teamSCAwarenesscampaign

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 9:57am On Jun 21, 2013
queen binte o:
Very few. The day a frd told me his fiancee is hbss,I cud nt contain ma joy. Since then I hold I'm in high esteem.now they are married wt a baby girl. So many hbAA won't marry hbSS/SC cos they believe we weill soon die.even if they want to,their fam wil kick against such union unless they are nt aware. I kno pple wt SCD who are happily married wt kids but some of us are stil unfortunate in that rgds.hopefully,we wil get married some day.

Someone was asking, "What Stigma?"
I always have this smile on my face, anytime any of my EXs get married and start calling me afterwards "just to remain friends".
Sometimes my only contributing crime in a relationship break-up is that am SS.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by MsAfroZest(f): 9:59am On Jun 21, 2013
queen binte o:
Very few. The day a friend told me his fiancee is hbss,I cud nt contain ma joy. Since then I hold I'm in high esteem.now they are married wt a baby girl. So many hbAA won't marry hbSS/SC cos they believe we weill soon die.even if they want to,their fam wil kick against such union unless they are nt aware. I kno pple wt SCD who are happily married wt kids but some of us are stil unfortunate in that rgds.hopefully,we wil get married some day.

Amen. A friend shared a personal experience about how her boyfriend abonded her on an ICU bed when he realized she had SCD even when he was hbAA. She has lost all hope and is presently battling depression. I am amazed cos you would never know she is an SS cause she looks so healthy and shows amazing strenght. I think this are also issues we should include in our advocacy against sicke cell anaemia. Those living with it are not weaklings, they can partake in any activity only at their own pace and strength.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 10:00am On Jun 21, 2013
omoikhefue:

i dont pity you at all, rather i envy u... lets join voices and reach an even wider coverage. #teamSCAwarenesscampaign
Thank You.
You can also Join us by liking our page, Naija Sickle Cell Warriors and also Sickle Cell Warriors both on Facebook.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 10:09am On Jun 21, 2013
Ms.AfroZest:

Amen. A friend shared a personal experience about how her boyfriend abonded her on an ICU bed when he realized she had SCD even when he was hbAA. She has lost all hope and is presently battling depression. I am amazed cos you would never know she is an SS cause she looks so healthy and shows amazing strenght. I think this are also issues we should include in our advocacy against sicke cell anaemia. Those living with it are not weaklings, they can partake in any activity only at their own pace and strength.
my dear tell your friend that Abali does not have a remedy for Depression. But She should talk to my Father in Heaven who will Hear and Comfort her.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by valueforlife: 10:20am On Jun 21, 2013
Another World Sickle Cell Day has come & gone,can we maintain this tempo of creating awareness of this serious genetic disorder? or is it a one day affair? For a few of us who have had the experience of living with persons with this disorder, it is & has become a lifetime assignment.Creating awareness of the sickle cell disease is a must,inview of the fact that Nigeria has the largest pool of persons in the whole world living with this condition, but how much do Nigerians know about SCD? I pray that we will get our acts right in this Country, let each of us be the voice in our schools, our villages, our offices,our market place , mosques & churches.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by uchechuwku: 10:37am On Jun 21, 2013
Ms.AfroZest:

I'm AA and you know the funniest sh*T ever was that it was my GF that broke up with me.
My mum was happy tho.
I love her to pieces.
She couldn't handle the love anymore saying that I'm with her out of pity. I'm much more of a nanny than BF.
I just couldn't help it. She's d best gurl ever (minus the crises tho)
I kept records for her.. Date of her crises, the last food she ate. Her drugs, weight gain/loss.
And she broke up with me?
Really, life is bleeped up..like so bleeped up.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ladies, Pls Recomend A Good Sanitaty Pad / Crisis Looms As Prices Of Drugs Increase By 150% / Suspected Gastroenteritis Outbreak: Sokoto Govt. Confirms 9 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.