Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (17210 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Sike(m): 10:46am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013: Today is World Sickle Cell Day... My thoughts are with those who suffer more than I do
#wscd2013

I really love this one.
Soooooooo touching!
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 10:56am On Jun 21, 2013
uchechuwku:

I'm AA and you know the funniest sh*T ever was that it was my GF that broke up with me.
My mum was happy tho.
I love her to pieces.
She couldn't handle the love anymore saying that I'm with her out of pity. I'm much more of a nanny than BF.
I just couldn't help it. She's d best gurl ever (minus the crises tho)
I kept records for her.. Date of her crises, the last food she ate. Her drugs, weight gain/loss.
And she broke up with me?
Really, life is bleeped up..like so bleeped up.
Maybe your actions showed pity instead of Love. You are a guy and you are "a bit of a nanny", isn't it the ladies who play that role?
At a point in my life's journey, I really went out of my way to do everything Against my Health, because I felt my family were more interested in making me live a "sheltered life". I smoked, I drank (not just beer, but squadron and other hot drinks).
In retrospect, it was God's Grace that kept me alive. What we need is Love (treat us as humans and not someone who has a date with death anytime crisis come calling).

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 11:44am On Jun 21, 2013
uchechuwku:

I'm AA and you know the funniest sh*T ever was that it was my GF that broke up with me.
My mum was happy tho.
I love her to pieces.
She couldn't handle the love anymore saying that I'm with her out of pity. I'm much more of a nanny than BF.
I just couldn't help it. She's d best gurl ever (minus the crises tho)
I kept records for her.. Date of her crises, the last food she ate. Her drugs, weight gain/loss.
And she broke up with me?
Really, life is bleeped up..like so bleeped up.
we dnt like being pitied.am sure she tot about it bfr breaking up wit u.if someone lik ur mum could be happy abt the breakup,I tell u she wouldnt support a union assuming there was no break-up.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 21, 2013
Bay1970: Being AS and having AS wife/husband is not end of the world, it gives you only 25% of having SS(sickle cell), 25% of AA and 50% of AS. Can it be avoided if posible? yes, but education is only the answer. If you love your AS boy/girl friend, do not let AS stop you from having someone you really love as a life partner; you might end up having a bitch with AA and in hell for the rest of your life. If you are AS with AS wife/husband, please remember to do CVS on every pregency. CVS will detect SC at 12 wks 100%.
So you mean they should murder an innocent soul because of their foolishness?. As far as I am concerned it is stupidity not love, how can you open your eyes and enter into such an arrangement. I know of a family who has 3 beautiful girls living with sickle cell, its not been easy at all. It'd just painful to know that such beautiful, intelligent girls ate not going to have a fulfilled life because of the mistakes of their parents
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by pappilo(m): 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2013
funshiba:

Sensitive topic for me.

Just few months back.... My ex and I broke up due to genotype issues....She is SS and im AS.... till now she hasnt forgiven me...we were meant to get married this year. But I guess I made a decision for us cos she couldnt bear losing me....

The most painful decision I ever made cos I love here dearly but I guess common sense has to prevail....I pray she understands someday and will forever be happy...

Truth is you never loved her. True love conquers all. You have left her to her fate and you will move on and source an AA chic to have children for you.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by pappilo(m): 12:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
universally, one of the reasons to marry is PROCREATION.
Please do not encourage people to bring unnecessary sufferings to that Innocent Unborn Child.
We that live with SCD know what it really means, you can only imagine. Behind those smiles, there may be pains going on.

Marriage is not for procreation. Procreation only takes a minute or 2 and you sure as hell dont have to be married for that. Marriage is between 2 people who want to spend the rest of their lives together and not because of bearing children, sharing the mortgage/rent or any other stupid reason.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by ooua: 12:44pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
How many people really care what happens?
Why the Non-Challant attitude, towards Sickle Cell Disease?
I don't care how long it will take, but I have made up my mind to lend my voice to SickleCellAwareness campaign. I am not soliciting for funds, neither am I advertising. But I have made it my life's duty to educate people about SCD. Not only because am a sufferer, but because I am a Survivor.

You said you are a sufferer, how come you married an AS to have a child that is SS, not trying to blame just want to know. Also talking out adoption I have seen couple who adopted only for the child to be SS. Dont know if we have the medical equipment to know if a new born is SS just for those planning adoption.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 12:56pm On Jun 21, 2013
ooua:

You said you are a sufferer, how come you married an AS to have a child that is SS, not trying to blame just want to know. Also talking out adoption I have seen couple who adopted only for the child to be SS. Dont know if we have the medical equipment to know if a new born is SS just for those planning adoption.
Am back with my original ID.
Maybe you didn't really understand my post. Am yet to be married (but soon).
Now if you have to adopt because you & your partner are both AS/AS, is not common sense that you have to do test the child to know if S/he is SS.
About having the equipment, the Hospital or Welfare or Motherless babies home should be able to help you, so that you don't make the mistake you are trying to avoid.
Your last point is quite remarkable (whether we have the medical eqquipment to test a new born child). But you can avoid that by adopting a 3 or 4 years old baby.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2013
pappilo:

Marriage is not for procreation. Procreation only takes a minute or 2 and you sure as hell dont have to be married for that. Marriage is between 2 people who want to spend the rest of their lives together and not because of bearing children, sharing the mortgage/rent or any other stupid reason.
ONE OF THE REASONS for marriage is procreation.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Ewoma45(f): 1:51pm On Jun 21, 2013
Quite touchin. i av 2 cousins who re SICKLESTRONG nd by God's grace going to make it to d finish line.same prayer goes out to all SICKLESTRONG fellas!
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Ewoma45(f): 1:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
Quite touchin.i av 2 cousins who re SICKLESTRONG nd by God's grace going to make it to d finish line.same prayer goes out to all SICKLESTRONG fellas!
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by pappilo(m): 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali1:
ONE OF THE REASONS for marriage is procreation.

One of a thousand and one reasons so why would you advice 2 carriers not to marry just because of one reason out of a thousand?

If 2 carriers 'truly' love themselves then there are ways round having SS children e.g. Adoption, CVS.

Why stop at asking 2 carriers not to get married? Why dont we campaign that people shouldnt marry carriers AS/SS so that the trait can be eradicated in maybe a generation or two. Should we also campaign that relationships where one or both partners is HIV positive, shouldnt lead to marriage?

I am not trying to put down your efforts and I would be lying if I said I can feel your pain but your campaign should be about educating people about the disease and not telling them who to marry.

Regards
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 2:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
pappilo:

One of a thousand and one reasons so why would you advice 2 carriers not to marry just because of one reason out of a thousand?

If 2 carriers 'truly' love themselves then there are ways round having SS children e.g. Adoption, CVS.

Why stop at asking 2 carriers not to get married? Why dont we campaign that people shouldnt marry carriers AS/SS so that the trait can be eradicated in maybe a generation or two. Should we also campaign that relationships where one or both partners is HIV positive, shouldnt lead to marriage?

I am not trying to put down your efforts and I would be lying if I said I can feel your pain but your campaign should be about educating people about the disease and not telling them who to marry.

Regards
CVs, Adoptions are ways to actually get around not having a SS baby. Agreed.
You are a Nigerian, how many couples do you think actually have the means to carry out CVs?
Even when they have the means, how many women do you think will like the option of Aborting their babies anytime it turns out to be SS? (Knowing they could have saved themslves the stress by opting for someone whose Genotype is compatible with theirs)
I actually like the option of Adoption. But Nigerians are yet to get to that level where many see an adopted child as their own legitimate child.
Even when the couples accept the child whole heartedly, what of the extended family relations? Especially the man's family who will likely think that the wife has Jazzed the man and pushed "their son" into adoption (when he could have easily had his own 'biological' children). How many people actually practice SELFLESS LOVE.
I am being practical. Think about these things and tell me that you still want to encourage AS/AS marital relationship.

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by jpphilips(m): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
How many people really care what happens?
Why the Non-Challant attitude, towards Sickle Cell Disease?
I don't care how long it will take, but I have made up my mind to lend my voice to SickleCellAwareness campaign. I am not soliciting for funds, neither am I advertising. But I have made it my life's duty to educate people about SCD. Not only because am a sufferer, but because I am a Survivor.

Awareness is a form of campaign no doubt but i doubt how much results it produces. If not for the roman catholic church, many carriers still go ahead to marry themselves which i find very absurd.

the churches care about HIV but pay little or no attention to Sickle cell, Dr oni(not real name) has sickle cell kids, how do you explain that? a doctor? what other awareness does he need, well educated folks have sickle pro genies.

forgive me to say but i don't subscribe to your campaign, sickle cell organizations should lobby the National assembly to make it a felony for any parent/parents who has sickle cell progenies. This is man's inhumanity to Man and spouses are not ready to listen.

Having an SS child should carry the same sentence as willfully infecting someone with HIV because i see no difference.

my sickle cell campaign is simple, if you are SS, shoot your father in the Head, and there should be Amnesty for any child who adopts this noble medical Jihad grin grin

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by qualified(f): 4:12pm On Jun 21, 2013
pappilo:

Regards
going through ur posts, all i see - ignorance, naivety, deceit and a dose of stupidity.
Are u a carrier?
Do u have carriers in ur family?
Do u have them as friends?
Have u experienced/ managed a crisis before?
If ur answer to any of these is NO, u dont qualify to make 'suggestions' in ds thread!
Guy, pls for d sake of God, dont advise people out there to bring kids into d world to suffer them; or, start committing abortions in a bid to kill unborn children 'carriers'.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 21, 2013
jp philips:

Awareness is a form of campaign no doubt but i doubt how much results it produces. If not for the roman catholic church, many carriers still go ahead to marry themselves which i find very absurd.

the churches care about HIV but pay little or no attention to Sickle cell, Dr oni(not real name) has sickle cell kids, how do you explain that? a doctor? what other awareness does he need, well educated folks have sickle pro genies.

forgive me to say but i don't subscribe to your campaign, sickle cell organizations should lobby the National assembly to make it a felony for any parent/parents who has sickle cell progenies. This is man's inhumanity to Man and spouses are not ready to listen.

Having an SS child should carry the same sentence as willfully infecting someone with HIV because i see no difference.

my sickle cell campaign is simple, if you are SS, shoot your father in the Head, and there should be Amnesty for any child who adopts this noble medical Jihad grin grin
Oga Jp, please calm down. It has not gotten to "medical Jihad" as you put it.
We will get to the stage where we don't have to lobby any National Assembly before they do the right thing. We will get there.
The Sickle Cell Campaign all over the world lacks Prominent voice to give it teeth unlike HIV or Cancer. But we will get there.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by mideoy(m): 4:52pm On Jun 21, 2013
cheesy
Sincere Bigot: where are the inspirational tweets?

LoooooL cheesy
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by mikedore: 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013: I will be posting some very inspirational tweets of people living with Sickle Cell Disease. (I apologise in advance if it affects your sensibilities).
Gudday poster,i just came across ur post. Am a sickle cell sufferer,i have passed tru many challenges and i thank God 4 good health. I wil lik to meet other sufferes. Do we have a union. Pls reach me on 08134000028 tex pls.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by mikedore: 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013: I will be posting some very inspirational tweets of people living with Sickle Cell Disease. (I apologise in advance if it affects your sensibilities).
Gudday poster,i just came across ur post. Am a sickle cell sufferer,i have passed tru many challenges and i thank God 4 good health. I wil lik to meet other sufferes. Do we have a union. Pls reach me on cal or text. 081xxxxx God bless.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 5:49pm On Jun 21, 2013
mikedore: Gudday poster,i just came across ur post. Am a sickle cell sufferer,i have passed tru many challenges and i thank God 4 good health. I wil lik to meet other sufferes. Do we have a union. Pls reach me on cal or text. 081xxxxxx God bless.
We tank for whre we are today. Join our fb group,Naija Sickle Cell Warriors. The op is the admin. Ure welcome. U can also like sickle cell warriors(created by americans),its more active than ours. Hope ours will bcome active too wt time.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 6:19pm On Jun 21, 2013
mikedore: Gudday poster,i just came across ur post. Am a sickle cell sufferer,i have passed tru many challenges and i thank God 4 good health. I wil lik to meet other sufferes. Do we have a union. Pls reach me on cal or text. 0813xxxxxxx God bless.
Like binte said, join us on facebook Naija Sickle Cell Warriors.
I ve ur phone number now, so you can take it down. I wouldnt want somebody exploiting you.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by omobone(m): 8:07pm On Jun 21, 2013
Bay1970: My last post on this
I respect everyone feelings on this issue.
I am only trying to provider an option for AS/AS in the house.

OB/GYN

Guy...e be like say u just read PRE-NATAL DIAGNOSIS newly wey u no go allow us rest? Smh
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Natasha2(f): 9:15pm On Jun 21, 2013
Nice thread, I must say having sickle cell is like a war that never ends. I really sympathise with people with SS genotype. I'm AS though, its sad to know that I cant marry an AS. Even my gene has started selecting husbands already before me damn. It pays to know your genotype though, people need awareness its sad that so many people only get to know their genotype at the verge of getting married some still damn the consequences and go ahead and at the end the child suffers greatly. Its hard to raise a child with SS its even harder for the child prevention is better than living a miserable life with one crisis after the other.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Kazil1(m): 9:24pm On Jun 21, 2013
Gud
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by pappilo(m): 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
qualified:
going through ur posts, all i see - ignorance, naivety, deceit and a dose of stupidity.
Are u a carrier?
Do u have carriers in ur family?
Do u have them as friends?
Have u experienced/ managed a crisis before?
If ur answer to any of these is NO, u dont qualify to make 'suggestions' in ds thread!
Guy, pls for d sake of God, dont advise people out there to bring kids into d world to suffer them; or, start committing abortions in a bid to kill unborn children 'carriers'.

You are the slowpoke and you are extremely stupid. I know people that have died from complications as a result of SCA.

I doubt you can comprehend. Where in my post have I said people should have SCA children. I clearly stated there are ways around that. How do you legislate for the thousands of SCA children born out of wedlock? Awarness of SCA Cell shouldnt be about telling people who or who not to marry but about how to avoid having children who will suffer from the condition.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 10:31pm On Jun 21, 2013
pappilo:

You are the slowpoke and you are extremely stupid. I know people that have died from complications as a result of SCA.

I doubt you can comprehend. Where in my post have I said people should have SCA children. I clearly stated there are ways around that. How do you legislate for the thousands of SCA children born out of wedlock? Awarness of SCA Cell shouldnt be about telling people who or who not to marry but about how to avoid having children who will suffer from the condition.
I apologize on behalf of the poster you quoted.
The ways of going around having a SS child are CVs and adoptions. I already stated why those ways are really not the best for couples who will wish to have their own biological kids.
For instance one of the uses of Condom is to protect you from getting infected with HIV, and other STDs and of course pregnancy.
Papillo how many people in Nigeria will willingly sleep with an HIV infected person using Condom? Even with the awareness that they will be protected by the condom.
Most will not risk it, because condoms are not 100% fail-safe.
Then why should some people who are both AS willing copulate(I wrote copu.late) without protection, knowing fully well that there may be risk of bringing forth a SS child.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by qualified(f): 11:56pm On Jun 21, 2013
Abali1:
The ways of going around having a SS child are CVs and adoptions. I already stated why those ways are really not the best for couples who will wish to have their own biological kids.
For instance one of the uses of Condom is to protect you from getting infected with HIV, and other STDs and of course pregnancy.
Papillo how many people in Nigeria will willingly sleep with an HIV infected person using Condom? Even with the awareness that they will be protected by the condom.
Then why should some people who are both AS willing copulate(I wrote copu.late) without protection, knowing fully well that there may be risk of bringing forth a SS child.
u dont need to apologize. He is js blind to reality, js cos he knows some few medical terms, he thinks he is smart. Lets face reality, how many Nigerian labs run those tests n at wht cost?
How many can afford d fund involve in all his medical jargon?
How many would wan to marry n not reproduce?
Leave textbooks philosophies, stop deceiving people.
Dont make people bring in children that wil keep looking at their parents wit that eye of 'why did u do this to me?'
pls folks, dont be deceived. Make d right choice for ur unborn children

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by funshiba(m): 12:09am On Jun 22, 2013
Pleasantme: I was really touched by ur post and all I can say is 'God knows best' she mite nt understand nw but I bet she wud b forever grateful 2u for d bold step in d nearest.future. N.B; next tym confirm and resolve genotype ishs b4 dstart of an affair so it doesnt seem like u r messing wit emotions....

Thanks alot....My ex was a former beauty pageant and a former Ms Lacasera, she defines beauty and a great heart....if i were AA i will go ahead and know i have to bother about keeping my wife alive and stay strong but, battling with the kids genotype and waiting till we get it right? No i dont want to put her through such, How many DandC WILL I SUBJECT HER TRU?

She is a strong woman and hardly fall ill except for Ulcer due to the strong pain killers, I wish i can make a difference

The truth is we knew bout our genotype from the beginning, but she is a lady with a great heart you will be a stone not to fall in love with her....I wished I could be strong for her, I wished I could be the one to make her happy...talking about it now makes me sad and tearing apart again...

A friend once told me that the way we can eradicate the ss Armenia is people stop crossing the s.... that was the point I tot i could make a strong decision for us... LORD PLEASE MAKE HER HAPPY AND GRANT HER A GOOD HOME...SHE DESERVES IT
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by standfirm: 12:10am On Jun 22, 2013
Bay1970: Being AS and having AS wife/husband is not end of the world, it gives you only 25% of having SS(sickle cell), 25% of AA and 50% of AS. Can it be avoided if posible? yes, but education is only the answer. If you love your AS boy/girl friend, do not let AS stop you from having someone you really love as a life partner; you might end up having a bitch with AA and in hell for the rest of your life. If you are AS with AS wife/husband, please remember to do CVS on every pregency. CVS will detect SC at 12 wks 100%.
Wow!! I never knew that dis is possible cos am a carrier an my girlfriend is also AS and i hve told her we cnt get married bt she refuse 2 understand bt with dis, i cn go along with d relationship. Tanx.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by funshiba(m): 12:18am On Jun 22, 2013
pappilo:

Truth is you never loved her. True love conquers all. You have left her to her fate and you will move on and source an AA chic to have children for you.

Tell me about love Mr Pap, Educate me Im listening?

They say true love conquers all, My brother pressure and circumstances come when it becomes bitterness... I didn't leave cos I am keen about AA, It came to an end cos She deserves to be with someone of the AA genotype that she will go thru less financially/emotionally and every means to have a child of her own that she desires....

Do you know how much it cost do IVF which it isnt 100 Percent guaranteed? and if we cant get the funds required to do all we need to make us happy, we get frustrated..

Please dont speak about his cos you obviously know nothing but textbook stuff
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by norrisman: 6:31am On Jun 22, 2013
Abali1:

A.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali1(m): 8:19am On Jun 22, 2013
standfirm:
Wow!! I never knew that dis is possible cos am a carrier an my girlfriend is also AS and i hve told her we cnt get married bt she refuse 2 understand bt with dis, i cn go along with d relationship. Tanx.
WOW!! there is a way to go around not having SS babies...... Congratulations for this new insight you have just gained.
But I will urge you to go through my posts and think it through. If it were your sister, will you want her to go through D & C anytime she discovers that the child in her womb is SS? (when she could have avoided it)
Will you really be happy to know that you are healthy enough to have your own biological children but you chose to adopt not because of your love for kids, but because you damned scared of bringing forth a SS child with your wife?
How much do you think you love can really with stand?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Need Drugs or Cure For An Ulcer Patient / Suspected Gastroenteritis Outbreak: Sokoto Govt. Confirms 9 Deaths / Crisis Looms As Prices Of Drugs Increase By 150%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.