Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,729 members, 7,806,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion (19862 Views)

Angel Of Death Erupts From Chile's Volcano (photos) / Meet Madam Ekundayo - Mother Of 470 Children / hot-angel, nike4luv, Latoya - the bootylicious Nairaland girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Abiyamo: 7:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
How can I eat when all my children are starving?

-MADAM JANET EKUNDAYO

Nigeria is a nation full of unsung heroes and heroines. At , we have decided to take it upon ourselves to proclaim the goodness of these legends of ours to the entire world. is all about celebrating these Fellow Compatriots who have distinguished themselves even if they do not always appear in the spotlight as they truly deserve. In Nigeria, it can be very challenging growing up as a child with two working parents, especially if they happen to be civil servants, so you can imagine what happens to those without parents. Everyone is hustling and fending for himself or herself, eking out a living and millions are just struggling to survive, hanging on to existence.

In this hustle and bustle that has come to characterize the Nigerian society, it is little surprise that we have neglected some of the most vulnerable ones in the society -the orphans and abandoned kids. But there was one woman who did the opposite -she dedicated her life to taking care of orphans. Her name is MAMA JANET EKUNDAYO. Ekundayo is a name in the language of the Yorubas of West Africa. It can be translated as ‘tears turned to joy’ or ‘my tears have turned to joy’. And truly, this wonderful woman turned the hot, steamy tears of many kids into unlimited joy.

Some call her the Mother Theresa of Africa and she lived a life that is full of lessons for us, the current generation. She spoke no English yet she spoke to the hearts of many. She had no millions of dollars but the wealth she possessed will make the world’s richest green with envy for her wealth was intangible. Without a political connection or patronizing those in power, Mama Ekundayo managed to leave her footprints on the ageless rocks of time. Now let me tell you how her story started….

BIRTH AND EARLY DAYS

As at the time she was born, records were not widely kept but estimates put her age as at the time she died to be between 80-90+.

FAMILY AND LATER LIFE

Mama Ekundayo was married and she had five biological children of her own -four males and one female. She said taking care of children came naturally to her and she enjoyed the company of children. In Nigeria today, many people care only about their own children and give no damn about others (apologies to Mr. President…lol!). They are much more concerned about their own welfare and economic security. Selfishness is the name of the game. But it is because of Mama Ekundayo’s selflessness that is celebrating her today. Stay in your closet with your family and no one will celebrate you, unless you give back to humanity. Mama Ekundayo had five children but that did not stop her from adopting others and changing the lives of almost 500 children forever. Think outside the box, the world does not revolve around you or your family alone. Even the Sun revolves around another star. LOL! And I am serious about that…lol!

TAKING CARE OF THE ORPHANS
It was back in 1969, that she decided to dedicate the rest of her life to taking care of orphans and abandoned children. By the year 2008, she had cared for over 470 children. These children were from all over the country, from different tribes, size, age groups and ethnic roots. But she took them all and did the best within her ability to care for them all. On how she coped with the challenges and fed them all, she stated that God had been wonderful to her, and that in addition to her own meager material contributions, help also came from kind-hearted individuals, religious organizations and atimes, the local government authorities who made donations and gave provisions. Her orphanage, Ekundayo Children’s Home, is located in Isanlu Makutu, a rural part of Kogi State in North-central Nigeria. (Just a thought, it will be nice if Dino Melaiye and others make regular donations to the various orphanages in Kogi State, no be by Bentley or Polo T-shirts…lol!).

Mama Ekundayo stated that caring for kids was a calling she could not resist, and once she started it, she never stopped until she breathed her last. You see, some people are just phenomenal! And you begin to wonder where they get their kind of pure spirits and souls from, especially in a world that is all about ME, MYSELF and I.

HER PERSONALITY
She had a tiny and delicate frame, much like Mother Theresa. She loved to sing a lot and had a very charming aura. Charismatic and always full of smiles, she called on people to sit close to her when they were shy and wanted to sit at a distance. She was quite inviting and full of radiating joy. And she always had lots of prayers for everyone. Reminds you of your grandmother, innit? Interestingly, she did all she did without making any noise or calling for the world’s attention (like some people will not allow us rest with their pictures on Instagram, did I mention your name ni? Or are you Rihanna? LOL!). Mama Ekundayo just did her thing and found satisfaction and happiness in it. Is that not the essence of life?

HER WORDS

-Emi ko, ishe Oluwa ni (meaning: It is not by my efforts but by the grace of God).

-Agbara mi ko, agbara Olorun ni (meaning: It is not by my power or might, but that of God). This sign is also at the entrance of her orphanage.

-Bawo ni mashe jeun nigba ti gbogbo awon omo mi o ri je, ti won rimu? (meaning: How can I eat when all my children are starving?

-Ayo mikun, gbogbo igbesi aye mi, ayo ni. Mi o mo idi ti Olorun fi pe mi be. Into mu inu mi dun ni ti awon omo yii. (My joy overflows, my whole life has been filled with joy. I still don’t know why God chose me thus. These children give me the greatest joy).

-Eje fogo Olorun han, ma se bo talenti mo le rara, eje fogo olorun han. (Let your talent flourish, don’t hide it). For her, her talent was caring for children. Wetin be ya own talent? Pinging? Or arguing at the vendor’s place over Champions League? LOL!

DEATH
In the year 2009, death came knocking. She was travelling and a most unfortunate incident happened. The vehicle she was in was involved in a road accident. Mama Ekundayo, already old and frail, did not make it out alive. She was believed to be an octogenarian or a nonagenarian.

HONOURS, LEGACY AND REMEMBRANCE

Many never heard of her until the Nigerian singer, TY Bello made a video in her honour and even produced a song titled Ekundayo ft Olufunmi for her in 2008. It was part of her popular album, Greenland. You can enjoy the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FgJ3pk_tQkA

And how it was made here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_5bVWqLzveA

Later, she would also be featured on Mosunmola Folake Abudu (Mo Abudu)’s program, Moments with Mo. One prayer she had was for God to grant her someone to whom she could hand over the project when she is no more. Her prayers were answered. Her daughter, Grace, has graciously taken upon this task started by her mother.

ADOPTION AND THE STATUS OF ABANDONED CHILDREN IN NIGERIA TODAY

Today, Nigeria is teeming with millions of orphans, abandoned children, destitute people, mentally-challenged citizens and beggars. There is no social welfare package from the government in place so people in this category go to hell and back on a daily basis. Many Nigerians, for reasons that I find either dumb, senseless or downright selfish still frown upon adoption. Well, Madam, I am not saying you should kill your husband because he wants to adopt a child but at least making some donations is a cool idea. We should always remember the less-priviledged in the society not only because it is a charitable thing to do but because if we don’t, these evils will come back to haunt us as a society. And moreover, givers never lack. If you can adopt a child (it takes someone with the heart of an angel and the patience of a saint to do that), please do. If you cannot, try your best to assist others. That is far better than preaching ‘love your neighbour as yourself’ up and down when you are still fighting your landlord.

CONCLUSION

While she was alive, Mama Ekundayo took under her wings hundreds of children who had nowhere else to go and no one to turn to. They struggled together and they celebrated together. They shared their pains and laughter. She was their best friend, their father, their mother, their angel of mercy and compassion. Many of these orphaned or abandoned kids grew up knowing no other parent but her. She was always there for them and they also knew that even if the world rejected them, there was one woman in whose arms they could always find solace, joy, warmth and comfort. Although she could not buy the most expensive toys for them, she spoilt them with what really matter -love. In an unkind and cold world as Planet Earth, Mama Ekundayo is one of a kind, and that is why this post was made. To celebrate her life, highlight her achievements, and hopefully touch a heart or two out there. So when you are dead, what will you be remembered for?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR TIME.

MORE PICTURES HERE>>>http://.com/mama-ekundayo-nigerias-angel-of-mercy-compassion/

33 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by MsSpaqs(f): 6:38am On Jun 25, 2013
A hrt of gold she had.

4 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by misterh(m): 9:54am On Jun 25, 2013
She was indeed a heroine. Hope she finds eternal rest where she is now. Thanks, for bringing to our knowledge, the works of our great but unsung heros/heroines.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by idupaul: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2013
Where is the fairness in life if this woman had to meet her end in a motor accident , what happened to sleeping and not waking up

5 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by prettyduru: 10:38am On Jun 25, 2013
She's one in a million with a charater worth emulating. RIP mama and may ur legacy live on. Amen

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Freiburger(m): 6:08pm On Jun 25, 2013
You are one in a million Nigerians. R.I.P mami.
Jesus finaly got his bride, dance with him mami.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Jhulyan(m): 10:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
Who was she?
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by bory09(m): 10:40pm On Jun 25, 2013
K
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Decryptor(m): 10:42pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ok...so?
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by HARDEYLEKE(m): 10:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
Decryptor: Ok...so?
heartless

4 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by slimyem: 10:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
Good woman. I didn't know of her until TY Bello made that video of her. The world needs many more like her.

3 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Odunharry(m): 10:49pm On Jun 25, 2013
she is selfless and had a caring heart...Thanks ma 4 helping many children and giving hope to the hopeless.

God loves u

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by baby124: 10:50pm On Jun 25, 2013
Beautiful woman, what a great loss to her children cry. I love that picture of her in green. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Jorian1(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
mehn, this woman is good, God bless her soul and the daughter that has take over. heart made of gold.

crying .....

2 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
For her selfless service to humanity, She deserved an award, yet she was not recongnized. I know even if she was to be given award the govt, people like Dino, Tinubu, Johnathan , Buhari, uzor kalu, El-rufai and their likes will want to score cheap political point with it.

I pray i meet this wonderful women in heaven, i want to shake her hands and tell her God bless.

3 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by ichommy(m): 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2013
What a selfless service

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Ichel: 10:59pm On Jun 25, 2013
Too long, Plz sumone read it out loud
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Amazing.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Afam4eva(m): 11:02pm On Jun 25, 2013
She died a few years ago. I remember that lady in Kush did a song for her.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by pekelepekele(m): 11:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
RIP MAMA .

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Pdizzle(m): 11:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
A heart of gold

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by wahabcoal(m): 11:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
Almost cried @ d video TY bello made, not almost did the same for I never knew she was dead. I've got soo soft spots for Older women, particulary those with such philantropic gestures. You're an Inspiration worthy of emulation!

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by pmc01(m): 11:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
Very inspiring. kudos.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by dadicvila(m): 11:10pm On Jun 25, 2013
bory09: K
goats like you should be drowned with a big stone tied to your neck and waist

3 Likes

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Lordave: 11:11pm On Jun 25, 2013
Freiburger: You are one in a million Nigerians. R.I.P mami.
Jesus finaly got his bride, dance with him mami.
da vinci code.
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by honeric01(m): 11:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
Afam4eva: She died a few years ago. I remember that lady in Kush did a song for her.

TY Bello.

Good people are not respected or recognized in Nigeria so no surprise here.

I had the Ekundayo song as my ringtone for 1 good year. Still have the song on my playlist.

May God give her soul eternal rest. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by GENTLETEE(m): 11:15pm On Jun 25, 2013
A very rare breed! She gave all the love in her and much more. God bless the day she was born.

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Youngzedd(m): 11:20pm On Jun 25, 2013
RIP true mother of many.

The Creator knows the best.

The next generation shall hear of ya good deeds.

You're goods works lives forever.

Rip mama.
Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by EmperorSeal(m): 11:21pm On Jun 25, 2013
I'm so touched especially with the question, "what will people say about you after leaving this ugly world"? May are soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Mama Ekundayo, Nigeria’s Angel Of Mercy & Compassion by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jun 25, 2013
I posted a thread about her a long time ago.

I love her

honeric01:

TY Bello.

Good people are not respected or recognized in Nigeria so no surprise here.

I had the Ekundayo song as my ringtone for 1 good year. Still have the song on my playlist.

May God give her soul eternal rest. Amen!

I love that songgggggg

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Accident At Ajayi Far, Ikeja Along / My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning / Three Great People You Would Like To Meet.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.