Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward (6461 Views)

A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / Embedded Systems Designs- The Way Forward / Unemployed DBAs:What is the way forward??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lojik(m): 11:20am On May 10, 2008
Local programmers and software development companies are all afraid of developing commercial softwares because of piracy in computer village. Otigba boys have in one way or the other helped programmers with cheap softwares but now, it appears that we cannot develop nigerian softwares for the open market because of them.

I believe we can tackle this problem if we can develop foul proof anti-piracy tools or algorithms that can prevent software piracy. If you program desktop applications, we need to put heads together to tackle this problem now so we can create a new market for ourselves beyond custom softwares that we have been developing.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lojik(m): 12:02pm On May 10, 2008
i've been working on anti-piracy algorithm (since 2005) that is targetted at preventing Otigba boys from copying my software. i've implemented it in two of my commercial softwares. it involves:

1. Locking my software to my CD (if software is copied to system or copied out and burnt to other CD, it terminates)
2. Using a copy protection software to burn my CD (visit cdmediaworld.com)

the problem with this method is that my software cannot be distributed via internet because it is locked to my cd.
second problem is that certain duplicators (like acard 2039) can still duplicate the CD although it cannot be pirated from the PC and from duplicators like datek 699.

This led me to abort copy protection software and develop a "duplicator based copy protection" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_copy_protection ).
My duplicator based copy protection was implemented in Biblica 2007 and Scriptura 2007. this protection works fine and we are yet to record a single incidence of piracy.

Now first the problem with my copy protection is that you have to insert the CD before running my software (which is still a limitation) otherwise the software will terminate while the second problem is that only acard duplicators can implement this protection (i dont know why but other duplicators dont copy the CD TOC the way i intend).

I know that with combined effort, we can achieve a means of protecting our Software CDs during or after duplication to make it Otigba proof!

Please contribute! u may be d way forward.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by uspry1(f): 12:30pm On May 10, 2008
@lojik
That's great solution you contributed to help local software programmers and software development companies continuing to succeed their CD marketing promotions. grin
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by tomX1(m): 4:26pm On May 16, 2008
The solution I've been using is entirely software based. On commencement of installation my algorithm queries the registery and gets the system ID for the program. It feeds this along with other parameters queried from the registry into an in-built encryptor. The encryptor mangles all of this together and return the result to the user as the request code. The user will have to send the request code to me (with proof of payment) to get an authorisation code which will only work on that particular system. So far it works fine and it realy gives me the ability to enforce my license condition of one system per license.

I 've been trying to develope a dongle based protection but it's not been easy. I'm still working on it though.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Seun(m): 5:03pm On May 16, 2008
Isn't it ironic that after using pirated software to develop our programs, we don't want others to pirate our own?
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by javalove(m): 5:09pm On May 16, 2008
Great work going on by Nigerians. More grease to ur elbows.

We have to look beyond otigba cos they are not as technically sound as we are.

I think the best solution anyone would offer is to be able to WRITE to the CD at installation time. After installation, the installer should be able to write back to the CD say a KEY and a generated ID,

Even if culprit decides to copy the program files folder to another system, it should perform some security checks at run time and if it fails, then no party!!!

I guess if MS finds a way to be able to write back to CD's, they would be happy

@seun

u funny oooo!!!!! we are all gulty even u, abi i lie
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lojik(m): 2:56pm On May 17, 2008
@sbucareer
i subscribe to your idea but i sell my softwares through a third party company and i cannot make demos (since i dont wanna make them downloadable).
The major problem i'm facing is either direct cd duplication of my softwares or copying my installer to the system and burning it to another CD.

@javalove
Your idea sounds really good to me. Writing to the cd at installation time is possible, but what happens if the user's PC does not have a cd writer.

@tomX
if i say they should fill a validation form on my site that gives them a specific key for their machine, a lot of Nigerians have computers that have no internet access.
Also, some of my softwares are developed for childrens' education and that process might be somewhat long for them.
i feel if i can setup an sms gateway where they can text the request code (since most ppl aint got internet), there can be an autoresponder kind of stuff that sends u a reply with ur machine(CPU ID) specific key.

The problem with code request is that i can see ur algorithm if i use a decompiler.

I believe a combination of most of these solutions would eventually work. i'm still working on something. i'll let u know soon.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by javalove(m): 3:20pm On May 18, 2008
Your idea sounds really good to me. Writing to the cd at installation time is possible, but what happens if the user's PC does not have a cd writer.

Good question. For this to be achieved, there has to be a revolution in the way CDROMS are made. Dont you think a time would come when regular CDROM would be faced out and everyone uses a writer. If it means for this purpose, hardware manufacturers would ship out their systems or laptops with a CD writer, then its good.

Its even a bit hard this days for you to see a brand new system without a writer be it desktop or laptop. I dont think it costs them much, just a change in lens and thats all!!,

WHat do you guys think?
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by logica(m): 7:08pm On May 18, 2008
LOL @ seun's observation.

please, open-source is where everything is headed. then nobody cares about software piracy.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by tomX1(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2008
lojik:

. . . @tomX
if i say they should fill a validation form on my site that gives them a specific key for their machine, a lot of Nigerians have computers that have no internet access.
Well, its not a global solution but it works for me. The request code can be sent to me through any means even via SMS or even spoken over the phone. Each request code is system specific hence the matching authorisation code is specific to the system producing the request code.

lojik:

. . . @tomX
Also, some of my softwares are developed for childrens' education and that process might be somewhat long for them.
The children probably won't be the ones paying for the softwares so the adult who pays should not have much difficulties with the process.

lojik:

. . . The problem with code request is that i can see your algorithm if i use a decompiler.

I believe a combination of most of these solutions would eventually work. i'm still working on something. i'll let u know soon.
Well I make no claims there (since I've not tried using one).  You will however only get one half of the puzzle. Here is What I did:
I built a couple of encryptors (lets call them Ea and Eb) and a couple of matching decryptors (say Da and Db).
I insert the codes for Ea and Db in the software. Da reads the users system specs and produces the encrypted request code to be sent to me.
On my back end I have a software with Da and Eb built in. Da in my back-end-software decodes the request code and passes this to the back-end-software to create a code which is encrypted by Eb to form the authorisation code. When this is sent to the user, if the code is the right one then Db in the users software will be able to decode it and match it to some registery values on the clients system. Decompiling the software will only give you one half of the pie.
But then again I only build softwares for specific clients (kind of One-of solutions so hackers will probably not be intrested in cracking a software that is tailor-made to a specific client.

Seun:

Isn't it ironic that after using pirated software to develop our programs, we don't want others to pirate our own?
@seun, I've never cracked anyones software and I have no qualms using any cracked (over-priced) software wich filters down to blessed Naija. But I defnitely will not be careless enough to let someone crap where I eat. If strugling Nigerians come up with a way to protect their meager efforts so they can stay afloat in this industry (that is skewed against us by the way) I am all for it.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 21, 2008
lojik:

Local programmers and software development companies are all afraid of developing commercial softwares because of piracy in computer village. Otigba boys have in one way or the other helped programmers with cheap softwares but now, it appears that we cannot develop nigerian softwares for the open market because of them.

I believe we can tackle this problem if we can develop foul proof anti-piracy tools or algorithms that can prevent software piracy. If you program desktop applications, we need to put heads together to tackle this problem now so we can create a new market for ourselves beyond custom softwares that we have been developing.

bullshit

do yall have any idea how hard it is to successfully devlop cracks for software applications?

you actually think nigeria has hacker groups that will go out of their way break copy protection of some locally produced software that may not be all that in any event?

99% of the 'otigba boys'(nothing more thn traders and'computer engineers' whose watchword is format) being blathered about do not even know HOW to apply cracks. all they do is mass burn downloaded warez. unless your applications get the attention of established hacker groups, you don't need to worry about your siftware being pirated - as long as you dont use serial numbers as copy protection but a cheapo activation algorithm

1 Like

Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by kheme(m): 7:07am On May 22, 2008
well, i'm not so into desktop applications, but i believe we can come up with so many ideas on how to solve this problem. here are a few suggestions,

#1: when burning the setup onto disc, the product key/serial no/activation code or whatever, should be scrambled with an algorithm using the CD's OWN SERIAL NUMBER. in that case, each software has it's unique key unique to the original CD that first carried it. when burned to another CD or even copied into a computer, it would never install. (well, this only prevents duplication on CD, but i think it's a good idea)
as for cracking this one up, first, the crackers need to know how you lock the setup to CD, which is by the CD's serial number. second would be to figure out the algorithm used to get the key.

#2: you can do #1 above, and also try what Microsoft does. at installation, a special hidden file should be created, with information of CERTAIN HARDWARE components of the computer onto which it is installed, and this same information should be somehow patched with the software (ie., make it part of the software itself). each time the program runs, it checks this file to see the information in it matches with that on the software, if no match or file doesn't exist, the the program exits, terminates, etc.
as for cracking this one up, they need to know how to access this special file, where it's located, etc. this is how Microsoft prevents piracy in windows xp when an original setup CD for a particular system (say Dell) is installed on another system (say Toshiba). understand?
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by royalicon(m): 11:59am On May 22, 2008
Kudos to you guys that have been attempting to stop local software piracy.

But mind you as you are suggesting a solution, they are providing a way out also. So, make the funal way-out a secret to developing membes only and not on an open forum like this.

Solidly behind u guys.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by sage2(m): 6:50pm On May 22, 2008
On several occassions, when i ve gone to the village to buy stuff, I ve seen people buy pirated software that clearly suggestted to me they are programmers. For instance, who uses borland products, Visual studio, Zend studio? My brother, we are guilty of the same sins we dont want commited against. Personally, I tend to believe me in OpenSource and I promise to develop only OpenSource software.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by kazey(m): 8:08pm On May 22, 2008
Microsoft can totally protect its software if it wants too, but it choose to pretend too. WHy? because it needs the existent of piracy to retain its markets dominance, as it still makes and would continue to make billions from corporations and government institutions.

If you want to protect your software, just provide regular updates and patches to your software, and make it affordable, if a software cost 10 USD for example, i would not go through the trouble of looking for a pirated one. Make it affordable, and many people would buy it rather than get a pirated one.

Why do you think they are no available blueray pirated games for ps3 for example? Because they are very costly to produce. Cost is a major factor, when it comes to consumers decisions in using pirated softwares or pirates decision in producing pirated copies for sale. If the cost of the pirated software for example is almost the same with the original, why would a consumer buy a pirated one? Or why would a pirate produce a pirated copy to sell?
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by sage2(m): 8:36pm On May 22, 2008
On several occasions, when i ve gone to the village to buy stuff, I ve seen people buy pirated software that clearly suggested to me they are programmers. For instance, who uses borland products, Visual studio, Zend studio? My brother, we are guilty of the same sins we don't want committed against us. Personally, I tend to believe more in OpenSource and I promise to develop only OpenSource software.We can make money in supporting systems.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by africanboy(m): 12:37am On May 23, 2008
@lojik, i'll love to have a go @ your Cd and try to see if it can't be copied. how much and where can i get a copy to purchase? i do not claim to be a hacker or anything, just to try out the system. even starforce copy protection was broken recently.

@sbucareer, how you doing? been a while. i am now into some little bit of java development. not java actually, but i have to use java related code. I am developing some applications to integrate into Oracle e-business suite.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by bigrovar(m): 3:36am On May 23, 2008
in as much as piracy is hated with venom by software developers, its is what has kept Microsoft in Dominance over the years especially in developing countries , i went into a real IT store recently and i was an original copy of xp professional which was priced 25,000 k , i was wow , is this still the same thing i could get for free via torrent and for 150 in otigba , i just cant imagine myself buying xp for that amount , one its not worth it , two i dont even have the money , but in an ironic way MS prefer pple use pirated windows than use Linux which on must occasions are free , that is why MS is doing little to stop piracy in places like china, the number exported of pirated windows , the best way to stop piracy is not to buy/ use pirated product , when this is no market it wont sell , but we all no that cant happen , how many pple in this country can realy pay for the photoshop, dreamweaver,coral draw autoCad they use , yeah not many , so i guess the issue of piracy with its many advantages and disadvantages has come to stay ,
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by javalove(m): 10:45am On May 23, 2008
kazey:

If the cost of the pirated software for example is almost the same with the original, why would a consumer buy a pirated one? Or why would a pirate produce a pirated copy to sell?

Almost the same u say , , , but not the same , e be likeay u no no nigerians cheesy
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lojik(m): 2:25pm On May 23, 2008
africanboy:

@lojik, i'll love to have a go @ your Cd and try to see if it can't be copied. how much and where can i get a copy to purchase? i do not claim to be a hacker or anything, just to try out the system. even starforce copy protection was broken recently.

Biblica, my protected software sold out at the convention it was made for so it's no more available for sale but if you reside in lagos, i can send you a copy. mail me to get my number if u stay in lagos. ceo@afrisoft.org

kheme:

when burning the setup onto disc, the product key/serial no/activation code or whatever, should be scrambled with an algorithm using the CD's OWN SERIAL NUMBER. in that case, each software has it's unique key unique to the original CD that first carried it. when burned to another CD or even copied into a computer, it would never install. (well, this only prevents duplication on CD, but i think it's a good idea)
as for cracking this one up, first, the crackers need to know how you lock the setup to CD, which is by the CD's serial number. second would be to figure out the algorithm used to get the key.

I tried locking my CD to the CD serial number but each time i duplicate it, the serial number of the duplicate cd is the same as that of the original i.e it duplicates the serial number. To use the CD serial number method, u need a copy protection mechanism. As far as i know, all copy protection software within reach are crackable except u do your copy protection manually/physically.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by LearnBook: 11:08am On May 24, 2008
Maybe local developers should focus more on subscription based web hosted software. Will keep people on the straight and narrow.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Raymond88(m): 3:44pm On May 24, 2008
First off all i haven't heard about or seen any program made by a Nigerian, and secondly you can't beat crackers no matter the security you use come on if big corps like Autodesk with all their Harvard graduate programmers can't do it what chances do you have?. . . the best thing is for these local programmers to team up and maybe form a code of ethics with these otigba boys about pirating local software.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by whizzy(m): 2:31am On May 25, 2008
Huh! how i hate to disclose this, cos Otigba boys are also here watching too. But most algorithms will be geopardised by one simple procedure, i have tried too but this method surely counters whatever i try. here it is

make an image of the CD, using softwares such as alcohol, softdisc, e.t.c and u can produce 1 million copies if u so desire. give it a try
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by MP007(m): 3:55am On May 26, 2008
hahaha , what goes around comes around, when all thses so-called "local software programmer" were feeding off european and american software sys(helped by ptigba boyz) it was cool and poppin, and now that the tables have turned , they are complaining , Bleep!
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by lojik(m): 7:15pm On May 26, 2008
My software "Name with held" will be coming out mid next month and i intend to give a demo to some otigba pirates that i am already talking with.
i have a different product key with every copy (except the ones sold by otigba boys)
the product key is checked against an algorithm in my software
when you enter your product key, it generates a registration code by scrambling your processor serial number and the product key you entered
You submit your registration code on my site and it unscrambles it to see if the product key had not been previously saved on my site, then saves it against your cpu serial number and then gives you an activation code to permanently unlock my software.

So whoever buys my software from Otigba will have to purchase a product key from me (Double payment) and otigba boys wont need to start cracking or reverse engineering my software as they will get the first copy before it gets to the stores.

As soon as the testing period is over, it will be in otigba for a week b4 getting 2 d stores.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Delta007(m): 12:19am On May 29, 2008
Good thinking but some of u are really hilarious. . .or rather some of the ideas cos even without thinking, I cud crack them. How much is your software worth that u are worrying about "Otigba boys"? On a daily basis, I use and access software easily worth $50k or even more (per CD) and guess worth, despite all the security, they are easily cracked by nefarious peeps. Piracy is here to stay. . .the only way to combat it is volume shares. Even satellite, pple dey crack am easily. . .so knock urselves out.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by kambo(m): 5:15pm On May 30, 2008
data can only be stored permanently the hard disk of a computer.
that permanent data can then be deleted , once the user of the computer knows
where to look. At most , the user can format his hard disk.
so placing code on hard disk is no gaurantee of solving the illegal copy problem.
even the systems os is on the harddisk, meaning that any of its subsystems is also
on the harddisk and accessible. Too bad.
most softwares that come in cd media contain the entire binary making up the solution. without encryption
the same binary will run hitchlessly on the same architecture.
if sb can access the binaries ,he can access ur solution.
And no user will want to by software in bits so as a seller using the CD media u have to
inevitably give buyers complete binaries for their money.
ur stuck , the solution is the binary and the buyer takes home the complete binary therefore somehow the buyer may get to the binary without the barrier- encryption.
maybe if the software could be sold in bits, u buy half,then when u 've been verified u'll
get the other bit. not bad,but once the remaining half is gotten it can be copied,thanks to
duplication technology.
or maybe special media should be made to carry ur software, that would be too expensive
for you the developer and the market may not be willing to bear the extra cost-so more likely
ur bound to use cheap media.too bad.
ur a victim of the revolution and ease technology has created.
wait until its easy to send large binaries over the air like SMS. all that's needed
is better telephone networks and super large phone memory.
boy that would be the day.
to create proper encryption, u'll have to find a way of distinguishing every pile of software sold And the the software should be able to count when it is being copied.
where will this distinguishing and counting data be stored- on the media itself.
so the media inevitably has to have some form of memory and some logic that
writes to memory on the media using the pc platform it is being ported to.
this is not presently possible cuz most systems dont have writers to cd media.
the only have readers to cd media. and with only a media, ur hard work is duplicated.
copy to ram and transfer to some other media.
. too bad.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by taofika: 8:21pm On Jun 05, 2008
Must say i'm really benefiting from this discourse. We must also educate others on not buying pirated software too.

TA Nigerian Websites
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by UNLEASHED(m): 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2008
Personally I don't think One can stop buying pirated softwares here in Nigeria, Imagine, Original copy of XP professional at the rate of 25,000 naira, where in some cases you can even get a lappy at that amount and XP proffesional (Pirated) at the rate of 200 Naira. You see Nigerians can not stop buying pirated softwares unless there is a law enforcement against it which I also think there is no one. There should be another strategy for this prblem. I tried upgrading my Window Media Player 10 to the latest version and I was simply notified that I can not do i have pirated Operating system.
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by BANKY77NG(m): 8:09pm On Jun 07, 2008
i am really enjoying this forum. My position is that in Nigeria you are either doing open source or doing piracy, actually most of us do both, but i also believe everyone should start moving away from piracy, one way is to buy systems that are preloaded with software, windows, and etc, and also start getting used to Open source, believe it Open Source Works! Get a Linux CD and try it out, build a website with php, mysql , host it on apache, Use Open Office .

In Nigeria We need to maximise open Source, I will even suggest we start an Open souce movement believe you can make money by building on existing Open Source platforms, Wikipedia, facebook, run on Php mysql open source. LET US START A MOVEMENT THAT WILL TAKE US AWAY FROM PIRACY. b
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by Wokeyim(f): 7:38pm On Jun 10, 2008
chai da. this thread na "igbo people's forum," time for onitsha boys to improve their businessse
(runs!!!)
Re: Local Software Piracy (Otigba Boys) - The Way Forward by sbucareer(f): 9:20pm On Jun 11, 2008

Otigba boys!!! Igbakiri igba boys -  I de salute

(1) (2) (Reply)

Review My App I Built From Scratch / Ten Things Non-programmers Should Know About Programmers / Friendzone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.