Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,344 members, 7,808,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam (9116 Views)

A Detailed Look at Quranic Perspectives on the Honey Bee / A Look at Leadership from an Islamic Perspective / A Look At Islam’s Victory By Nonviolent Resistance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by tbaba1234: 5:10am On Jun 21, 2013
A qualitative look at Islam: Changing society through Islam

Today, it looks as if most muslims have adopted a minimalist view of Islam. A view that says: fulfill the five pillars and stay away from major sins. The bare minimum of what you have to do to be saved.

This is a quantitative minimal view of Islam.

A qualitative look at Islam gives you a very different conclusion. The conclusion is that the five pillars and staying away from major sins is just the starting point. That is the bare minimum you do so that you are not considered a criminal.Not being considered a criminal is not an achievement, it just means you are law abiding.

Islam demands some kind of struggle or service. Islam is something greater than your own personal observance, it is something that should be made a reality on the earth. People should know about islam, it should enlighten business and bring justice to social interactions, families and neighbourhoods.

IT IS NOT JUST THERE TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER AND FIX YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ALLAH.

It also addresses problems of society. If all of us are only concerned about only our personal Islam, then we are only serving our needs instead of serving the religion and its higher goals in society.

All the struggles of the prophets (peace be upon them) were focused on the problems of their societies. When Shuayb ( alayhi salam) starts criticising business practises, when Lut (peace be upon him) starts criticising homosexualit.y and shamelessness in a society, When Eesa (peace be upon him) starts criticising corruption in the religion,When Musa (peace be upon him) criticises slavery and class societies, they are not just dealing with theological issues, they are dealing with realities on the ground.

They knew that the faith was not just for self-reformation, it reforms families, communities and society. It engages the problem of society.

A muslim should be concerned about the injustices in society whereever they may be happening because Islam requires it from him. To simply hate it in the heart is the weakest of faith. What solutions does Islam offer?

This is part of the struggle of Islam,

At the very least, you should be concerned about your neighbour. Even simple hadiths, like removing an harmful object from the road shows concern for others.

Now everyone of us has to figure out where they fit in this struggle. There are multiple legitimate causes for the muslim and in my opinion, a muslim should dedicate himself to one legimate cause at least.

The plight of the orphan, the education of the girl child, the empowement of muslim families, islamic education for children, corruption in society etc.

These are a few legitimate causes. This way, you see yourself as part of the mission of Islam, your Islam benefits others in some way.

This is true spirituality.

Assalamu aleikum

25 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by maclatunji: 8:28am On Jun 21, 2013
^I can think of one legitimate cause already- keeping this section clean. grin

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Wendyslim(f): 2:24pm On Jun 21, 2013
Masha ALLAH.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 21, 2013
I detect a recruitment speech... angry

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by U09ce: 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2013
bobthebuilder99: Are you trying to start an African Dark Age?
What do you mean by that? If you have nothing pertinent to write, you can go your way!
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by kambah(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2013
I swear Islam is only way out nd Shari'a in islam make so easy. May God help us
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by oluwadare26(m): 2:30pm On Jun 21, 2013
I Luv Islam although i'm a little bit lazy when it comes to Al-solat sometimes, my prayer to Almighty Allah(S.W.H) is dat i shouldnt encounter any problem no matter how small that will make me and any member of my family convert...

ISLAM IS THE WAY....check out "Ask Dr. ZAKIR NAIK"

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by mmmustapha(m): 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2013
May almighty Allah guide us to d right path

1 Like

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by bayour80: 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2013
Good reminder,jzk
tbaba1234: A qualitative look at Islam: Changing society through Islam

Today, it looks as if most muslims have adopted a minimalist view of Islam. A view that says: fulfill the five pillars and stay away from major sins. The bare minimum of what you have to do to be saved.

This is a quantitative minimal view of Islam.

A qualitative look at Islam gives you a very different conclusion. The conclusion is that the five pillars and staying away from major sins is just the starting point. That is the bare minimum you do so that you are not considered a criminal.Not being considered a criminal is not an achievement, it just means you are law abiding.

Islam demands some kind of struggle or service. Islam is something greater than your own personal observance, it is something that should be made a reality on the earth. People should know about islam, it should enlighten business and bring justice to social interactions, families and neighbourhoods.

IT IS NOT JUST THERE TO MAKE YOUR LIFE BETTER AND FIX YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ALLAH.

It also addresses problems of society. If all of us are only concerned about only our personal Islam, then we are only serving our needs instead of serving the religion and its higher goals in society.

All the struggles of the prophets (peace be upon them) were focused on the problems of their societies. When Shuayb ( alayhi salam) starts criticising business practises, when Lut (peace be upon him) starts criticising homosexualit.y and shamelessness in a society, When Eesa (peace be upon him) starts criticising corruption in the religion,When Musa (peace be upon him) criticises slavery and class societies, they are not just dealing with theological issues, they are dealing with realities on the ground.

They knew that the faith was not just for self-reformation, it reforms families, communities and society. It engages the problem of society.

A muslim should be concerned about the injustices in society whereever they may be happening because Islam requires it from him. To simply hate it in the heart is the weakest of faith. What solutions does Islam offer?

This is part of the struggle of Islam,

At the very least, you should be concerned about your neighbour. Even simple hadiths, like removing an harmful object from the road shows concern for others.

Now everyone of us has to figure out where they fit in this struggle. There are multiple legitimate causes for the muslim and in my opinion, a muslim should dedicate himself to one legimate cause at least.

The plight of the orphan, the education of the girl child, the empowement of muslim families, islamic education for children, corruption in society etc.

These are a few legitimate causes. This way, you see yourself as part of the mission of Islam, your Islam benefits others in some way.

This is true spirituality.

Assalamu aleikum

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by free2ryhme: 2:45pm On Jun 21, 2013
kambah: I swear Islam is only way out nd Shari'a in islam make so easy. May God help us

undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Lakayanah: 2:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
kambah: I swear Islam is only way out nd Shari'a in islam make so easy. May God help us
With the current happenings In the country the Muslims will need to work very hard to convince us that your statement is true.

12 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by anonimi: 2:47pm On Jun 21, 2013
Did Muhammed marry a minor?
Will Islam changing society also allow men to marry nine year old girls and kill those who no longer want to practise their faith

10 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by theplanmaker: 3:09pm On Jun 21, 2013
the religion of "peace" lols

1 Like

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by mmark12(m): 3:11pm On Jun 21, 2013
My own opinion about Islam from the op that it was to maintain its 7th century law with the convenience of 21st century.

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Walexz02(m): 3:14pm On Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the write up bro, may Allah increase you in knowledge and faith....
Juma'a kareem!

1 Like

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by akpanbaba: 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2013
You have a good sermon but the only problem is that you have lost all your converts to-be because this religion as we see has no iota of peace in nigeria and indeed the whole world.Please work on your tolerance level.

5 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Adek15(m): 3:25pm On Jun 21, 2013
We dnt nid 2 convince u or anybody.. (i refuse 2 b apologetic) Sure there are crisis associated with islam in d country and in d world @ large buh u knw that's due 2 religious fanatism (christianity and judaism inclusive). For ''we'll show them our signs in them and around them until it became manifest 2 them that this is the truth''.... The truth is everywhere broda if u need it.

2 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 21, 2013
Good write-up!
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by dabrake(m): 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2013
trying so hard to market your religion? aint interested.

by the way, I didn't read the whole article, just the topic.

*hope this isn't offensive to islam (this one maclatunji is viewing this thread)*

3 Likes

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Walexz02(m): 3:36pm On Jun 21, 2013
akpanbaba: You have a good sermon but the only problem is that you have lost all your converts to-be because this religion as we see has no iota of peace in nigeria and indeed the whole world.Please work on your tolerance level.
you wouldn't say that againg when you have done your assignment very well. Those who searched for the truth(Islam) have found it, and many are still converting to the religion of truth....
Salam!

1 Like

Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Amoshie(m): 3:41pm On Jun 21, 2013
How i wish all muslims will always keep dis post n its likes n lessons we always learn from various lectures in heart n action too.
Re: A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam by Walexz02(m): 3:46pm On Jun 21, 2013
Lakayanah: With the current happenings In the country the Muslims will need to work very hard to convince us that your statement is true.
You mean? Work very hard my left foot! Those who seek for trueth search for it. And those who searched for it have gotten it....
Salam!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Language Barriers In Mosques / 12 Quick Ways For Parents To Inspire Manners To Their Children / When Was Hajj Made Compulsory?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.