Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (103854 Views)

Poll: Can a woman wear trousers without disobeying the bible?

Yes: 76% (81 votes)
No: 23% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari Okays N160 To $1 For Christian Pilgrims / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by danielorde(m): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2006
Orunmilla and Sango permits you to do as you like why bother?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by engr17(m): 12:26pm On Aug 03, 2006
Very religious of women!

Nice posts by mlks_baby and davidylan.

The woman in question that men refer to is as Gifted as FAVOUR. if God don't like wears, why do he choose their heart?
Has not anyone thought that the creator is also refering to unconditional altitude and Xracter of Homosexual to Hetro-sexual lifestyle?,and also war against unclothedness in sin instead of naked Truth?
I put it to you that its Ungodly to disobey GOD.Truly women has a limit in the Old testament, but are the people in this forum not awear of the clothings of recent Jerusalem women even in the US today.DOn't add nor subtract from the Divine doctrine

@GL
Women in question was the first creation to acquire knowlegde. Man sweat but Woman hectic Pain. Is it still hectic to all women 2da or much painful to men in the century of 2da

@Reverend:

He (GOD) said go ye into the world and preach to ALL creation, , baptizing them in the name of the Father,the Son and the Holy Spirit. not just a man and so You should book for an appointment with Ejere Ken
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 03, 2006
I have read several responses where people had said women preachers in the United states do it.
It may be wise to caution that the United states is not a standard for Christianity.
Our standard is in the bible,the holy spirit our guide.
If anyone is truly led by the spirit,He will guide you to all truths.

I attend a very conservative church here in the US,most members don't wear trousers(pants).
I wear pants but would not wear it to Church or church activities,am I a hypocrite no,am I sensitive yes.

The new testament says women should be modest in appearance.
tight fitting body hugging clothing is not appropriate especially for women that have "assets".
You may cause the men to droole but what does the scriptures say.

Scriptures does not condemn wearing trousers,short sleeves or sleeveless clothes.
Christ has redeemed us from the law and the holy spirit within us should teach us what is appropriate or not.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 14, 2006
?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by GL(f): 4:22am On Aug 18, 2006
engr17,

i'm not sure i understand ur post. if u're saying that women first encountered pain but men now go thru more pain, God didn't say anything about distinguishing btw male and female pain so u can't compare that to wearing trousers.

babayoisi,

i don't think we should wear trousers because some women in d States do. What i mean is that, my church says we shouldn't wear because it is a sin yet they invite women from the States, who wear trousers, to preach. That's double standards. makes me feel they cooked up the law. I wear trousers because i don't believe God said we shouldn't wear. I believe He wants a distincition between men and women.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 18, 2006
There are so many traditions of a particular locality that influences even Christian beliefs.

I remember back in the day when I gave my life,a teenager in the  late eighties,they told me I would go to hell for perming my hair and wearing lipstick and that braided hair was a sure way to be posessed by mammy water spirit.
A sister  on campus actually called me and admonished me on making men sin and lust because I was making them attracted to me.

I was so heartbroken,an innocent sis trying to please God but causing men to lust,lol.
This same sis I saw when she was in Law school wearing outfits to match and lips redhot.        .

There is nothing wrong with weraring trousers,perming your hair or even weave on sef.
God is good
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by sbm4real(m): 5:14pm On Aug 28, 2006
people,the bible says my people perish for lack of knowledge.when the bible said a man should not wear what belongs to a lady,aaron used to wear a skirt then,so will we say skirts belong to men?kindly read your bible properly.
Read the book of colosians capter 2,from verse 16.it reads:dont allow anyone to disqualify you by reason of earthly wisdom.these things look like they are good for instructions but they severe you from the body of christ.read this passage of the bible and understand.also in the bible,God said REND YOUR HEARTS BEFORE ME AND NOT YOUR CLOTHES.let us get our head right bout this.God looks at our hearts and not our clothes.i have not said it is right to wear provocative dresses but wearing a trouser is no sin as long as you have a right standing with GOD.
Anyone who wants a right answer to this question should go ahead and read:
COLOSIANS chapter 2.GOD bless you all and may he give us understanding in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2006
And this is a brother talking.

Amen my dear brother,if any girl finds her size in trousers abeg buy am or someone else would lol
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Ndipe(m): 7:08am On Sep 21, 2006
We have to take into consideration that different societies have different cultures. For the Scots, wearing a skilt/skirt is part of the norm for the men folk which on the other hand is an anathema in our culture. So before we hurl stones at 'offenders', we have to factor in their way of life and culture.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by agnesoseka: 11:54am On Mar 19, 2007
the heart matters alot
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 1:09pm On Mar 19, 2007
Ok Very Good

I think Killing of twins, worshiping of Idol, smoking (we should be smoking in the Church) should be allowed to continue since it is an outward thing and Since it only the heart that matters.

We are really Joking with Good oh. Even in our normal senses Is there not a difference between An Israelite and An Egyptian.

Heb 8 v 5Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

Hebrews 10

1For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by KDK(m): 5:40pm On Mar 20, 2007
@ BACKSLIDER,
APPLAUSE APPLAUSE
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 4:29pm On Mar 21, 2007
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Some say we are not UNDER LAW very very True, but wait do we because we have received grace act Unruly as becometh saints we supposed to work IN

MODESTY
NEAT
SIMPLE MANNER

Should we then receive correction from unbelievers ?

are we given the license to act anyhow because we have received grace?

in the state of Israel when this law was given it helped to differentiate men from women if all women wear trouser and all men wear skirt (this i don't think any one will practice) then so be it.

women should stick to the skirt
men should stick to trouser

THIS IS FOR SAINTS (PEOPLE THAT ARE BORN AGAIN)

HOWEVER IF YOU THINK BY A WOMAN WEARING SKIRTS OR A MAN WEARING TROUSER YOU WILL GO TO HEAVEN YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE. HE DESIRES INWARD AND OUTWARD HOLINESS.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by mystikal(m): 8:04pm On Mar 21, 2007
i think its silly real that this should even be debatable, The passage y'all quoting has other laws we're ignoring, why is the trouser thing the only issue? its just people looking 4 who to criticize!
Anyways, in as much as trousers are permissible in Church and elsewhere, the bottomline is dressing with modesty especially in churches, some trousers are not meant 4 church, but there is nothing ungodly in trousers, mind there are immodest skirts too
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2007
@ mystical

A man is not saved by what he wears but the Blood of the Lamb. this Ordinance is just for Christian living. We are supposed to show modesty and follow holiness without which no man shall see the Lord.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by mystikal(m): 10:33pm On Mar 21, 2007
@ backslider

you're only saying what i just said
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by ATLANTA96(m): 4:28pm On May 20, 2007
IT IS VERY BAD AND SINFUL FOR A LADY OR WHATEVER SHOULD WEAR TROUSER, THE BIBLE SAYS IS AN ABOMINATION, NOMATTER WHAT U CHANGE IN THE WORLD, DON'T EVEN MAKE ANY MOVE TO CHANGE GOD'S WORD BCOX HE HONONY HIS WORD MORE THAN ANYTHING, FEAR GOD,

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by TellyB(m): 5:50pm On May 20, 2007
@topic,

Let's try and be balanced, abeg. The Bible no where mentions the case of a woman who wears trousers as being under condemnation. The Scripture is clear on what it says:

Deut. 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment:
for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Remember: "that which pertaineth unto a man" should not all at once be translated as trousers! Even the man sef is in the same cubicle as not to weat "a woman's garment" - and what should that be translated as?? A skirt?? Or spaghetti sleeves, G-string, tights??

For those who still have 'skirts' on their minds as meaning a "woman's gament", let me remind you that men also wore skirts in the Bible!!

From Ruth's answer in Ruth 3:9, it is obvious Boaz was wearing a skirty attire!
Ruth 3:9 - And he said, Who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid: spread therefore
thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou art a near kinsman.

1 Sam 24:5 - 'And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt

Psa. 133:2 - 'It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard,
even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments'

Ezekiel was instructed: Thou shalt also take thereof a few in number, and bind them in thy skirts. (Ezek 5:3).

And all these men were not condemned, right??, Right. So, was the Scripture speaking of trousers and skirts in Deut. 22:5?? I don't think so. The context is simply pointing to that which makes a male appear feminine and a female appear masculine in their dress codes! It is a simple straightforward message: don't confuse your gender role!!
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Itse(f): 10:53pm On May 30, 2007
The aim of this question goes a long way to determine what answer you receive. IN the biblical sense trouser is not expressly mentioned, in the implied terms i'd say a woman can wear trousers,
From that verse what i understand it that a woman should not wear what pertains to a man, like me taking my male cousin's t-shirt and using it as a nite wear, ok.
This is one of those controversial aspects of the bible which make us lose focus on what is important such as: Right standing with GOd, in that you've accepted the invitation Jesus gave when He died on the cross to Boldly come into His presence through His blood, by acknowledging your sins, asking for forgiveness, reconciling yourself to HIm by believing He is the Son of God and confessing same with your mouth, and that the life you live is no longer for your pleasure but for the fulfillment of the purpose of God for which you have been created uniquely.
AS children under grace, we have been admonished by Paul to dress modestly, but not putting all emphasis on our outward appearance (its nice to look good, actually good, but should not be the basis of who we are) but taking time to nuture and build our character ( gentle spirit, meek, the fruit of the Spirit is, ), cause at the end of the day-- its all we really have left, when we are old and gray!
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Mcbee(m): 10:22pm On Jun 03, 2007
Mlks Baby, that was excellent. Keep it up girl. I couldn't add more. You did a prolific exposition on this topic. Brace up!!
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Reverend(m): 8:10am On Jun 09, 2007
Deut. 22:5
The woman shall wear that which maketh her bum and breasts looketh there best, blessed are those babes who shall wear tight jeans and min skirts as they will inherit a man: for all that do so will make the LORD thy God, Hot and very happy.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by tlops(m): 1:03pm On Jun 11, 2007
D bible did not mention trousers.

the bible passage that people quote on this topic is

Deut 22:5
5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

but if u read down u find out that its just some form of self righteosness that makes people hammer on this as they break other laws that follow after this.

Deut 22:8-9

8 When you build a new house, make a parapet around your roof so that you may not bring the guilt of bloodshed on your house if someone falls from the roof.

[color=Black]anyone build a house wt any protective on the roof??

9 Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled. [a] [/color]

Today we talk of multicropping crop rotation and co No one sees this as sin. Most of the food we eat comes from farms that practices this dreadful sin. so dont eat unless u know the source

Deut 22:11
11 Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together

Anyone still talking on trouser or no trouser should check the shirt he or she is wearing if its 70% polyester and 30% cotton its sin are u aware.

Its the work of religious bigots who try to imprison people by their self righteousness. why empasize on this and not the remaining part of the passage. byye

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 11, 2007
Who defines which is men's clothes and womens clothes? Did the bible specifically say women should not wear trousers?
Men in Isreal during Christ era wore Gowns isnt that what we call womens clothes now?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by thesilent1(m): 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2007
Anyone still talking on trouser or no trouser should check the shirt he or she is wearing if its 70% polyester and 30% cotton its sin are u aware.

tlops, you are just too much! lol

that should be my scripture to hold on to to only wear 100% cotton! LOL

see people, god wants me to wear desginer. grin
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by mrpataki(m): 2:22am On Jun 12, 2007
We are not under law but under grace!
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by MP007(m): 9:44am On Aug 21, 2007
depends on the culture, for instance in nigeria, trousers are men's stuff, so i'll say its wrong too, but lets consider people that live with the hustling and bustling of lagos, i mean ladies that have to hump on bikes, it depends on the situation , what and where u are going or doing, lord have mercy
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by nawa1(m): 12:37pm On Aug 21, 2007
i don't think it's sinful for women to wear trousers, but i think it is sinful for women to wear men trousers.

don't get confused, this has alot to do with the mind than it is to the body. if you are a women and you think all trousers are bad for you, you are not completely wrong, just follow your faith and keep it out of sight.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by nawa1(m): 1:17pm On Aug 21, 2007
MP007:

. . . for instance in nigeria, trousers are men's stuff, so i'll say its wrong too,. . .

where did u get that from? most of the people posting here are nigerians. have you checked the vote status?

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Banderas(m): 1:19pm On Aug 21, 2007
In other words, sin is cultural - If you live in a culture where it's ok to wear trousers then it's not sin. I guess this is what y'all are saying?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by pilgrim1(f): 1:38pm On Aug 29, 2007
Okay. Since people are wondering about women in "trousers", another way to ask the question is:

Is it Biblical for Christian Women to Wear Engineer's Overalls?

Before anyone begins to ask me where I saw "engineer's overalls" in the Bible, I'm asking them to show me where I can find "trouser" in Deuteronomy 22:5.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by joeycrack: 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2007
@banderas, The bible cares a great deal abt culture.

@ Topic
What the bible is sayin is dat women should not dress in traditonally mens clothes and vice-versa.

Therefore whether it is a sin or not s cultural i.e ur tradition. Like Jesus said the bible is not against your culure. For exmple a man wearing a skirt in scotland is not a sin because it is the culture of the scots meanwhile a man in the north wearing a skirt will probably be disobeyin the law.

So also, in India women were trousers that is their culure, In places with cold climates like eastern Europe it is a neccessity for women to wear trousers that wouldn't be a sin, likewise it is not a sin for women to where trousers in certain circumstances like jobs and sports.

Apart from the conditions above, women wearin clothes culturally known to be the apparell of men will be a disobedience to the law.

In conclusion, Even though we ar not bound by the laws of the old testament,the bible says let your moderation be known to all men, it depends on ur personall conviction, hw u rate moderation. thats my 2cents
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by nawa1(m): 3:39pm On Aug 29, 2007
@ joeycrack

what a wonderful first post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bishop Jonathan Muthoka Sex Scandal With Niece (See CCTV Footages) / Pastor Caught Pants Down While Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman.. Photos / Prince Gozie Okeke With His Beautiful Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.