Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,732 members, 7,806,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? (103842 Views)

Poll: Can a woman wear trousers without disobeying the bible?

Yes: 76% (81 votes)
No: 23% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari Okays N160 To $1 For Christian Pilgrims / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? / Born Again Christian Women Wearing Make-up, Is It Biblical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by pilgrim1(f): 5:55pm On Aug 29, 2007
Hi joeycrack,

joeycrack:

Therefore whether it is a sin or not s cultural i.e your tradition.

I don't think so. Jesus warned aabout how people let their cultures and traditions get in the way and prevent them from obeying God's WORD (Matt. 15:3)

joeycrack:

Like Jesus said the bible is not against your culure. For exmple a man wearing a skirt in scotland is not a sin because it is the culture of the scots meanwhile a man in the north wearing a skirt will probably be disobeyin the law.

What "law" would the many from the north be disobeying?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by cgift(m): 10:40am On Aug 30, 2007
Deuteronomy 22:5 ¶The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
9 Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds: lest the fruit of thy seed which thou hast sown, and the fruit of thy vineyard, be defiled.
11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.

Those who do say wearing trousers is sinful should tell us if they do not violate verse 11. How many times have you worn merged materials of different texturs together? Why keep one and throw away the other in the same chapter? That is simply hipocrisy. That's my take on this issue? If you cant keep all, dont keep one.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 1:24pm On Aug 30, 2007
@Cgift

Then Will you commit murder too?

Please read with the spirit of God not with you OWN WISDOM.

IF YOU WEAR A SUITE ON A TRACK SUITE Trouser ARE YOU OK?

Or CAN YOU WEAR AGBADA AND TUCK IN A TROUSER? THOSE COMEDIANS YOU LAUGH AT WHY DO YOU LAUGH AT THEM?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by cgift(m): 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2007
Backslider:

@Cgift

Then Will you commit murder too?

God forbid. Why will i have to? I have been told not to espcially as Christ as come to remove the complexities of the law. You are trying to impose the law on freeborns when you try to say that ladies should not wear trousers. The truth is you cannot keep the law as it is written being a mortal man. We no longer live by dos and donts. We are now in the period of grace courtesy th finishd work of Christ. You only entangle yourself when you try to live by the law.

Backslider:

Please read with the spirit of God not with you OWN WISDOM.

IF YOU WEAR A SUITE ON A TRACK SUITE Trouser ARE YOU OK?

Now, you hav tried to suite yourself by giving that illustration. The bible is not talking about styles of cloths or design here. Dont try to bring it in at all. It is simply talking about materials. Even if it is just a shirt and trouser you have worn with both made with different materials, you have broken that law! Its as simple as that.

Backslider:

Or CAN YOU WEAR AGBADA AND TUCK IN A TROUSER? THOSE COMEDIANS YOU LAUGH AT WHY DO YOU LAUGH AT THEM?

So it is not design neither was God telling them the style of clothes to wear. He was simply referring to the materials thos clothes were made of. I don't think it s a complex matter.

If you therefore cannot keep that one, why single out the other?
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 4:25pm On Aug 30, 2007
@Cgift

We are not living by the law. Yes that is true. But we are under the grace of Christ. But should we then sin that grace may abound ? God forbid.

We have been called to orderliness because we are redeemed by an excellent spirit. A woman shall not wear the clothing of a man PERIOD.

A child Shall not wear an apparel not fit for him. Do you know that there are Men that dress up as women? is that a style?

The place you quoted is mentioned "SORT"

You can not wear your silk on your cloak.

Any this does not mean one is saved.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2007
Moreover, the Scriptures teach a great difference between femininity and masculinity as to dress. "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

The desire to emulate men in dress has seriously affected the fine and noble characteristics of womanhood. Often it takes a second glance to determine the sex of a woman today, due to the distorted and strange garb she wears and the close proximity of her attire to that of a man. The Scriptures call this practice an abomination unto God, or something God hates.

THERE IS MORAL LAW

WE ARE TO OBEY OUR PARENTS IN CHRIST
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 4:34pm On Aug 30, 2007
In ancient times, as throughout many countries today, a person's social rank could be determined by his dress. Similarly, dress is a significant measurement of Christian conduct and practice. Christians can often by identified as such by their outward appearance.

Our people predicate their practices and beliefs upon the Bible. In baptism, we practice immersion in the name of Jesus as the apostles did. We teach and preach the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a definite experience evidenced by speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.

Since we adhere as carefully and closely to the Scriptures as possible in matters pertaining to salvation, we also measure the standards of Christian practicalities such as clothing, by the same rule.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by cgift(m): 6:31pm On Aug 30, 2007
Well, i will liek to make a final submission. Trousers, hairdo (what they call perming or whatever) are all things that are outside the gats of zion. I count them as distractions when people debate them as they are very immature teachings or children's lessons. There are greater things/lessons to extract from the world which are very much yet untapped. Thats why you see women ministers in trousers still flowing in the annointing. The child of God has better mysteriese of Christ to unravel than dwell on trousers or no trousers.

Many thanks,

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 7:03pm On Aug 30, 2007
It depends what type of Anointing you are talking about. Some of the people you are talking of have Demonic anointing.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by cgift(m): 9:15am On Aug 31, 2007
Backslider:

It depends what type of Anointing you are talking about. Some [/b]of the people you are talking of have Demonic anointing.

yea! [b]Some [/b]and [b]not all.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by jujukemist(m): 4:00pm On Sep 03, 2007
I find this topic quite interesting, not because it is a serious Jesus issue, but because it exposes how we xtians poorly know our WAY-the WAY-JESUS. Jesus said that it is the things that comes out of a man that defies him not what goes in.
Apostle Paul said let us leave the elementary teaching and squabbles, moving into mature spiritual matters, like knowing the will of god through the mastry of the HolyS.
Was deut talking to the Jews or the Xtians. Do we posses the holy spirit sufficiently to know the apt interpretation of all bible commentary on these issues.
Are all the Scots men and Nigerdelta men going to hell.
Lord Jesus open our eyes to know you in the Order of the Spirit. Not as a stature hanging on people's necks

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by cgift(m): 8:42pm On Sep 03, 2007
amen!

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by tionne(f): 2:11pm On Sep 04, 2007
there is liberty in the house of the lord
God's love is personnal so also is salvation

wat if we stop wearing trousers, perming of hair, gold etc n do not comply with the no 1 rule of love
then its all wasted.

its really d heart that matters thats wat God see.

1 Like

Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Backslider(m): 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2007
jujukemist:

I find this topic quite interesting, not because it is a serious Jesus issue, but because it exposes how we xtians poorly know our WAY-the WAY-JESUS. Jesus said that it is the things that comes out of a man that defies him not what goes in.

The same Scripture that you read says it from the ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKETH. What that part says is that a man cannot wear think look hear walk [/b]to fornicative and adulterous life if his [b]heart does not demand it.

If you apply it in the way you have quoted it this means that you can kill someone and there is no sin committed. What Jesus says is that the Battle is in the heart, Not outside the body, The PROOF THAT A MAN IS MAD IS THAT HE BEHAVES MAD OUTWARDLY.

jujukemist:

Apostle Paul said let us leave the elementary teaching and squabbles, moving into mature spiritual matters, like knowing the will of god through the mastry of the HolyS.
Was deut talking to the Jews or the Xtians. Do we posses the holy spirit sufficiently to know the apt interpretation of all bible commentary on these issues.
Lord Jesus open our eyes to know you in the Order of the Spirit. Not as a stature hanging on people's necks

Where did paul say let us leave the ELEMENTARY TEACHINGS? What is the mature Spiritual things?

jujukemist:

THE JEWS WERE A CALLED OUT PEOPLE!

CHRISTIANS ARE ALSO CALLED OUT PEOPLE!

YES WE LIVE BY THE LAW OF GOD THAT LAW IS[b] LOVE [/b]BUT WE MUST ALSO BE ORDERLY AND MODEST.

DID YOU NOT HEAR JESUS SAY UNLESS YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS EXCEED THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES. DID YOU THINK ALL THE PHARISEES AND SCRIBES IN THEIR TIME WERE UNHOLY AND HYPOCRITES?

WE CANT USE THE GRACE AND BEHAVE UNRULY.

DONT YOU KNOW THAT THE SPIRIT IS SUBJECT TO THE EVANGELIST? AH I WONDER WHAT YOU HAVE BELIEVED.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 05, 2007
who told you that trousers are for men? then they shud stop wearing kaftans
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by ifele(m): 7:35pm On Feb 16, 2008
First, It is wrong for women to dress like men and it is wrong for men to dress like women. Beleive.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by therationa(m): 7:36pm On Feb 16, 2008
ABSOLUTELY NOT,

Neither should they plait or braid their hair, according to Paul.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by stimulus(m): 9:18pm On Feb 16, 2008
therationa:

ABSOLUTELY NOT,

Neither should they plait or braid their hair, according to Paul.

Paul did not prohibit women from wearing trousers or plaiting their hair. We would like to see where you read your assumptions and also invite you to carefully consider a discussion to point out the gaps in your summations. Care to oblige? grin
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Eclairs: 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2008
@ posta

How can u strictly explain this issue biblically when in actual fact there was no trousers and skirt in the bible days.

Some times, we need to wake up.

anyway, I'v read some of the comments and I gs they'v sort of woken u up.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Horus(m): 5:08pm On Feb 17, 2008
Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers?
Women should be Naked.In your Bible Adam and Eve are Naked,so being naked is biblical. grin
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by therationa(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2008
This is 1 Tim 2, with Paul advising on the standard of decorum for, amongst other thing/people, women.

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made fo everyone—
2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
3This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
6who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.
7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.
8I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.
9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,
10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.
13For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Is this the standard we see in the churches? How about the stuff of women NOT having braided hair

BTW, women are saved through childbearing. That's a new one.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by raffite: 4:41pm On Mar 28, 2008
Na Wa
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by raffite: 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2008
"Nowadays nothing matters any more. Everybody seems to know the Bible very much - just interprete it to suit yourself. But remember it is not your word. When you are not clear, ask the owner of the word." - SHERIFF ABUGU
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by prosper234(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2008
Yes is biblical for Christian Women to wear trousers the ancient history of trouser wearing traces back to women and not men
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Image123(m): 12:56am On Mar 31, 2008
prosper234:

Yes is biblical for Christian Women to wear trousers the ancient history of trouser wearing traces back to women and not men

shocked shocked.That must be a shocking history.how historically true and relevant is this info.Imean worldwide,largescale
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by ifele(m): 5:05pm On Apr 09, 2008
Love what is good hate what is evil. That is the commandment of the apostle.

The Law is good is good through and through. Only thru the Holy Spirit can one perfect its observance.

Meditate on the commandments and know the will of thy True God.

YESHUA/JESUS said I have not come abolish the Law and the Prophets but to fulfil them.

Idol cannot save cannot even save itself. Unclean spirit can not save it is going to the Fire.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by brizmaleti: 1:55am On May 03, 2008
The 10 commandments i think has given us the do's and dont's of the bible.The other chapters and verses i think clearly explains and elaborates on the 10 commandments.It was not cateforitcally stated that it was wrong for women not to wear trousers, but the bible said do not wear what belongs to a man and vice versa;from my little understanding on that verse, i think it says do not wear what a man has already worn, i am not particularly sure though, so i would need an explanation of that verse, and funny i dont even know the book of the bible where that is, but i know i have come across it in the bible.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by carmelily: 11:43am On Sep 25, 2008
I don't understand why this is a debate at all. what is the BIBLE_SPECIFIED modes of dressing for both men and women? any mention of skirts or trousers and their being gender-specific??
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Purist(m): 3:06pm On Aug 10, 2009
@davidylan

Okay, I know it's been a long time, like 3 yrs now. I just want to know if you still think it is "unbiblical" for Christian women to wear trousers.
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by Akinnoba(m): 1:24pm On Aug 26, 2009
The law were made to condem the world Christ came to reconsile us to himself the letter killet.
We Christian are called so because of a general doctrine (Christ Came , He died , ressurected and Ascend to heaven and he is comming soon for us period) every other is what i call subjective Doctrines It is the objective doctrine(in bracket that guarrentee salvation. Our righteousness is like a filty rag
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by ladygaga(f): 10:33pm On Dec 08, 2009
na wah , pls just come and say anything
everybody is now God's mouthpiece!,

i wonder what the hell is the problem, when it is said in the nt that we are no longer under the laws of Moses?
we just pick a verse in the bible and twist it to something else(especially when it comes to gender issues)

i can wear both skirts and trousers and look nasty, and i also can wear both of them and look very decent?

abeg, enough is enough , let everyone mind his own race cool
Re: Is It Biblical For Christian Women To Wear Trousers? by mavenbox: 11:00pm On Dec 08, 2009

Deut. 22:5 - "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

There's no mention of 'skirts' or 'trousers' in that verse. The substance of that injunction is that men and women should not confuse their gender appearances; and the motive is to discourage the lifestyles that may stem from such practices. Confusion of appearances lead to confusion of gender roles. Such lifestyles may include homosexual tendencies among God's people, which is another abomination (Lev.20:13); or gender roles confused altogether, in the family and society at large.

It is interesting that the dress-sense and fashion of the Old Testament people included the idea that men and women wore garments that had skirts. Notice the masculine pronouns used in Psa. 133:2 - "It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments" and of Ezekiel: "Thou shalt also take thereof a few in number, and bind them in thy skirts" (Ezek. 5:3). So men wore garments that had skirts back then, but not in the sense of 'skirts' (a woman's garment which hangs down from the waist) as we understand them today. The skirts of Aaron's garment were simply in reference to the outer border of the priestly garments.

Several ancient and contemporary civilizations and cultures had and have clearly defined gender dress modes. Even today, the Scots are popular for their kilts (knee-length pleated skirt of tartan wool which is worn by men as part of the traditional dress of the Scottish Highlands). Other traditional dresses worn by both gender in some other cultures include (a) the sarong - skirt made from a piece of fabric wrapped around the body and fastened at the waist and worn by men and women in Malaysia and other Pacific islands; (b) the toga - loose draped garment worn by citizens of Ancient Rome; (c) robe - any long loose garment (including the gown); and other types like (d) the tunic - usually long upper garment worn by women, but for the men depicts loose-fitting garment often without sleeves and often belted: worn in ancient Greece and Rome.

Some believers assume that Deut. 22:5 is condemning women wearing trousers and men wearing skirts. However, that is not what Scripture indicates. As we have seen, the substance and motive for that verse is to discourage any confusion of gender identity and roles among people professing to belong God. There are professional vocations that require a dress code that include the idea of trousers worn by both men and women, such as civil and petroleum engineering (the overalls they wear in field of operation), and some military service posts. I remember during our NYSC orientation, some ladies wanted to make an issue out of the khaki trousers; they wear given the option of either following the call of orientation service or quit camp.

Of course, what you wear tells who you are. In the NT, women are particularly admonished to "be modest and sensible about their clothes and to dress properly" as befitting women professing to be godly. (I Tim. 2:9, 10). Men and women who profess godliness in their lives don't want to misrepresent their calling, and that's why we're admonished in the OT verse above to not mix up our dress sense to risk confusing our gender identity and roles, because "from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female" (Mark 10:6).
GBAM! GBAM!! GBAM!!!

The ONE question we should be asking here has to do with the decency of the person, and not whether its a skirt or a trouser. Some skirts are terribly indecent, and some trousers are far more decent than some skirts. And what with women having roles that are less passive, it is far safer for them to wear trousers.

Another teaser: Is it Biblical for women to wear skirts? Because the Bible asked them not to wear skirts, it was men's clothing in the days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bishop Jonathan Muthoka Sex Scandal With Niece (See CCTV Footages) / Pastor Caught Pants Down While Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman.. Photos / Prince Gozie Okeke With His Beautiful Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.