Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,404 members, 7,781,165 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:07 AM

What Do You Eat With Yam? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Do You Eat With Yam? (16276 Views)

How Often Do You Eat With Cutlery?? / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On / What Can You Eat With N100? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by elizabetta(f): 6:44pm On May 22, 2008
aysometin:

Please post the 'OWO' soup recipe o

My husband to be is from Delta.
I am not delta but my mum is Benin and the delta people prepare theirs differently because as i learnt they are the original owners of the food,so i don't really know how they prepare it.I only know the Benin way of preparing it,so if you want me to post it,let me know.And to all the delta people in the house,please how do the delta people prepare OWO.Thanks
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by Nobody: 9:52am On May 23, 2008
elizabetta,
thanx, u can post the benin one jo, no probs.
we will wait for anyone with the Delta recipe.
in the main time, lets make do with the Benin recipe
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by elizabetta(f): 4:11pm On May 23, 2008
THIS IS THE OWO RECIPES

(1)tomatoes,dry red pepper,crayfish,potash,palmoil,salt,knorr cubes,any meat of your choice,dry shrimp,fish.

Blend the required tomatoes,and put the meat the is available on the fire,add knorr cube,salt and allow to boil.

Add the blended tomatoes,add the blended dry pepper,also crayfish,dry shrimps and allow to boil.

Then add the potash by using your instint and also the salt and knorr cubes,when the colour is dark brown and thick,then you know it is cook.Drop from the fire and allow to cool down,when cool add the palm oil and stir,the colour will change into yellowish colour.Then your OWO is ready to be eaten with yam.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by bolorunfem(f): 2:48pm On May 28, 2008
Yam and Efo Riro (Vegetable soup) is a balanced diet. It can also be taken with Avocado Pear (with or without a sprinkle of salt) Sooo yummy kiss.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by tybanky(f): 4:10pm On Jun 19, 2008
Fried egg, palm oil
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by omoge(f): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2008
fried tomotoes and rodo

fried onions

efo/spinach and egg omelette

mashed garden egg (traditional way or mom's classic style)

blended crayfish stew

potash pudding  wink

so much more i berra stop  cheesy
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by elizabetta(f): 2:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
omoge:

potash pudding  wink

please omoge do you mind posting the potash pudding.thanks
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by dragnet: 6:54pm On Jun 20, 2008
Beans. . .egg stew. .sardine stewd or n0t. . .stewed mashd garden egg . . . .oils. . .butter . . .vegetables. . . . Also taken alone
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by UNLEASHED(m): 12:30pm On Jun 21, 2008
fufu
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by MethodMan3(m): 12:56pm On Jun 21, 2008
UNLEASHED:

fufu

YAM and GROUNDNUT

OR YAM AND AMALA GOES WELL!
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by Mustay(m): 1:03pm On Jun 21, 2008
grin grin grin
Method-Man:

YAM and GROUNDNUT

OR YAM AND AMALA GOES WELL!

Yam and Palm oil
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by omoge(f): 3:10pm On Jun 23, 2008
my sister, it is a secret recipe, wink
for future biz

wink
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by origina9ja(f): 12:29pm On Jun 24, 2008
dere bare stuff u eat wif yaam but ma favourite so far iz Fried egg nd dodo tongue
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by james1(m): 4:29pm On Jul 16, 2008
Yam with dried fish:roasted over open fire,then soaked in red oil that is salted,it is even best if the yam is roasted as well,after you finish this meal.you will reason with those who travel at the years end. tongue

1 Like

Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by cutesy(f): 2:02pm On May 27, 2011
Abeg, pound the yam and eat it with correct afang soup. That in my opinion is the best way to eat yam anytime anyday
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by ChiDalu1: 5:56pm On Jun 02, 2011
I lurveeeeeeeeeeeee Yam! grin I can eat it fried, boiled, roasted, stewed, oiled, anyhow. . . . Yam is just my thing (hope i dont sound weird olready wink)
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by dominique(f): 11:54am On Jun 03, 2011
Chi-Dalu:

I lurveeeeeeeeeeeee Yam! grin I can eat it fried, boiled, roasted, stewed, oiled, anyhow. . . . Yam is just my thing (hope i dont sound weird olready wink)

you don't sound weird, its ok to love yams wink
@topic
with eggs, stew, margarine, palmoil, oil. . .
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by akunta(f): 1:48pm On Jun 03, 2011
@ Chidalu, if loving yam makes me weird then i accept tongue
@ op, there are variety of options, with just palm oil, stew, egg-stew, vegetables, beans, pepper soup and noth forgeting poundo with fine soup like Oha grin and many other more!
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by akanxpress: 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2011
Yam with Spiced Porridge Sauce:

Sauce Ingredients: Yam, salt, pepper, vegetables (Pumpkin or Green) seasoning cube (ie: maggi or knorr, etc), palm oil, onions, garlic, ginger and (stock fish or ice fish or meat)
Boil the yam, wash cut and put the vegetables in boiling yam, add salt, pepper.
Cut and add fresh garlic, ginger fish/meat. Add seasoning and palm oil as appropriate. let the volume of water be such that it very low when the preparation is done.
When yam is very soft, bring it down and mesh the yam - your onions sauce is ready
Can be eaten with Yam or Rice

Yam & Goat Meat Pepper Soup:
Boil the meat add pepper, salt, onion, garlic and a sachet of indomie flavour, boil till done
Add Scent Leaf (Calabar calls it Ntong), fresh pepper and boil till it becomes pepper soup
Enjoy it with your Yam

Yam & Groundnut Sauce:
Grind/blend 1 cup of groundnut with the red peel.
Boil meat till done.
Fry oil - just as in making stew, then add onions,
Mix the grounded groundnut in water with sliced onions, salt, pepper, maggi, ice fish - if you like add ginger &/or garlic to boost scent - make the preparation thick.
Then pour the mixture into the boiling oil
Add meat - optional
When done, serve with yam. It can also go with Rice or Rice/Beans mixture.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by rully2: 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
aysometin:

Pls post the 'OWO' soup recipe o

My husband to be is from Delta.

If your husband t be is from Delta, i'm sure he'll prefer it the way Delta prepare theirs.
Hear's the ingredient.

Potash

Native salt (it looks almost like potash)

Native Starch or yam to thicken

Dry fish/Meat/Snail (whichever u prefer) Dry fish is a must

Periwinkle

Palm Oil

Crayfish

Pepper (preferably dried)

Salt and seasoning

Note: If you are preparing in the Delta way, you do not need to add tomatoes

*Cook meat with seasoning (Maggie etc, do not use curry & thyme) add the fish to steam a little, after washing washing properly with salt.

*Add palm oil into the boiling water ( you can choose to drain the meet and fish out of the cooked sauce water or leave it in,.which ever way, no qualms)

*Grind the potash and add to the boiling water while stirring, at this time it mite foam a little, just turn the heat down low

*Wait for about five minutes, then add a little starch (starch should be dissolved in water like u do when preparing pap) Stir till its smooth, then wait for another five to ten minutes

*Then add paper to your taste, Maggie and crayfish

*Add periwinkle after washing properly, probably in salt and warm water. The periwinkle should be the last item you add

*Allow to cook for like ten minutes and voila, you Owo soup is ready.

*NOTE: Allow to cool off very well before covering, else it mite dissolve and become watery
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by na2(f): 10:54pm On Jun 30, 2011
yam and butter
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by kliva6(f): 12:00pm On Aug 25, 2011
stew, stew, stew, and em, what else? oh yeah, stew
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by nsodo: 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2011
Try yams with beans you will wish to have the same the combination the whole year but you need frequent de-worming and visits to the clinic. Besides, you have to get your own care because gassing for others wont be a got thing since you can not avoid it when you take them.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:41pm On Sep 01, 2011
palm oil. grin
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by baby4u2(f): 8:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ever tried this sauce.

1. Onion sauce, Fast and easy: Just hit a little oil, put a lot of onions in the oil add maggie or salt to tasteeeeeeeee not to consume the taste oh. Stir fry until the onions are soft not burnt. Enjoy it with boiled yam.

2. Tomatoes sauce: Cut tomatoes, onions, hot fresh pepper and red bell pepper. Hit oil, and add your cut fresh t, h, p, r into the oil, add maggie, curry and any other spice you think you may like, but I suggest you keep it simple. Stir fry, taste to see if it is right, and enjoy with boiled yam or fried yam.

3. One way to eat yam again, is to boil it with sugar. Taste sweet.

4. Another way is to boil the yam, let it stand out for about 5mins, then fry it. It has a better taste that way.

5. Eat boiled yam with vegetable oil and salt or palm oil (although i dont like the palm oil)

6. Fried egg, with medemede added to the egg is better with boiled yam. Fried yam is better with stewwww. Anyway this are just my eating habits with yam. I hungry now.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2011
boil yam with sugar?! haba!
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by Kx: 1:06pm On Sep 02, 2011
baby4u2:

Ever tried this sauce.
3. One way to eat yam again, is to boil it with sugar. Taste sweet.
No comment
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by tpia5: 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
Yam can be boiled with sugar, or sugar and salt together.

Any way you want it.

Or just plain salt.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by armyofone(m): 4:07pm On Sep 02, 2011
no need for sugar, just look for Tiv yam. soooooooo sweet. you might have to travel to Tiv land

also try your yam with smoked crayfish/prawn sauce. oh lala lala lala lala lala

try your yam with Norway mackerel sauce kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by tpia5: 4:15pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^that sweet yam is just too good.

its tiv?
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by armyofone(m): 4:24pm On Sep 02, 2011
i think so. i once read they are the only one producing those kind of yams. so white, so soft and sooooooooooo sweet. ever seen their heap/ridge for their yams? soooo huge grin done by their women too. never seen any heap/rigde for yam planting as huge as those made by the Tiv.
Re: What Do You Eat With Yam? by tpia5: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^must be the species plus good farming.

really tasty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hungry? This Is The Best Place To Visit / Nigerian Girls And Their Horrible Cooking / Kfc In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.