Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating (17418 Views)

Egypt Vs Nigeria: Player Rating / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Swaziland / Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 24, 2013
Some of us had ruled out any chance of making it through to the semis since the blow of final whistle in the match against Uruguay, but Nigerians, known to be incurable optimists, gave them a chance. Well, none of the two permutations came to pass: Spain put three past us, Uruguay pummeled Tahiti. And out the Eagles found themselves.

Yet, the match against Spain wasn’t an entirely bad game for the Eagles, the embarrassing scoreline notwithstanding.

How Eagles performed versus Spain:

1, Enyeama: Saved us from what could have been a monumental embarrassment as, but for him, Eagles could have conceded up to six. Decent game, although he could have also done better stopping one the goals. 6/10

2, Echiejile: Our left back had an average game, although he was outrun and beaten on few occasions by Spanish trademark square-passing. I think he has convinced me that he’s as good as, perhaps better than, Taiye Taiwo, although for competition sake, TT should also be recalled, even if as second choice in that wing. 5/10

3, Oboabona: The La Furia Rojers were too much for him. Caught in the middle of their effective short passes on many occasions, but he was still able to dispossess them of the ball a couple of times. Decent showing, although he could have done better in the first goal. 6/10

4, Kenneth Omeruo: Hard and business-minded as usual. Tough, yet professional tackling. He was having a decent game before he copped injury. 6/10

5, Ambrose: He didn’t overlap much in this match. Sometimes beaten by the swift-footed Spanish forward. 5/10

6, Ogude: Not much was seen of him. This one pass his hard tackles. Neatly rounded on an occasion by a Spanish midfielder I can’t recall. Had a quiet game, probably because of the style of the Spaniards. 4/10

7, Sunday Mba: Did decently to support Mikel in the midfield. He also made a fantastic run at goal before the close of first half. He soon fizzled out in second half and replaced with John Ogu. 6/10

8, Mikel: When you have Xavi and Iniesta as opposition’s midfielders, nobody will give you any chance of making any impact in the midfield. But Mikel actually did, even if the two midfield marshals still held grip of the centre. Mikel held his own against the two veterans. His passes were better than previous matches and reached destination. He exuded confidence remiscent of his under-20 days, making daring runs in the midfield, sometimes beating up to 3 Spanish players. Good game. But water pass garri. 8/10

9, Musa: He played more purposeful football in this match. He freed his Kano pillar former homeboy, Gambo Mohammed with a through pass on one occasion, after waltzing his way through Spanish left and centrebacks, but the Kano man, probably overwhelmed by the occasion , wasted what could have been a consolation goal for the Eagles. 7/10

10, Ideye: He needs to work on his first touch. By now, it is clear that he does better when he plays as a supporting striker, like he did at AFCON. 4.5/10

11, Akpala: He didn’t do much upfront. Ramos clipped his and Ideye’s wings and our lively occasions in front came from Musa in the wings. 4/10

http://jarushub.com/2013/06/24/player-rating-nigeria-vs-spain/
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 24, 2013
SUBS

EGWUEKE: Thrown in for injured Omeruo. Against a star-studded Spain is not the best occasion a rookie will want to be tested, but Egwueke still managed to have an average game. He felt jittery, probably star-struck, initially but later came into the game. 5/10

GAMBO: That miss was unforgiveable. Honestly, I would have scored that goal. If in doubt ask the goal keepers at Ajah Harmony estate emirate stadium, where such goals are my trademark. 2/10

OGU: His game is similar to Mikel’s, kind of a poor man’s version of Mikel. He also tries distributing short passes. His style is quite different from his competitor, Mba’s. He has future with Eagles. 6/10

NEGATIVE VERSUS SPAIN: As African champions, a 1-0 or 2-1 loss would have been more honourable. It doesn’t matter that we are playing against World and European champions. But if Germany can whitewash a Messi-ful Argentina 4-1 in a world cup quarterfinal, then we have a precedent.

POSITIVE VERSUS SPAIN: Anyone noticed that we almost matched the Spaniards in possession? Not sure any other African team can do that. Well, maybe Egypt which also play free-flowing football. The scoreline only showed they had better finishers, not that they are thrice better result. That’s why I think a 1-0 or 2-1 would have been a better result.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 24, 2013
OVERALL SCORECARD IN THIS TOURNAMENT: The Uruguay match was our best in my opinion, followed by Spain, then Tahiti. Our attack was poor. I still hold that we don’t need Osaze (off-field discipline is as important as on-field quality), but I think an IK Uche and Martins would have made difference. But kudos still to Keshi for giving Ujah, Akpala, Babatunde and Gambo a chance. It wasn’t a totally bad tournament, except our attacking flaws. With 3 points and +1 goal difference, Nigeria came 5th in this tournament, although that’s rather flattering, giving the fact we got the goals because we had whipping boys, Tahiti, in our group. Eagles should come back to Africa and continue to be continental champions. This team is going places. The only difference between this team and Eagles' golden era of 1990-1998 is lack of sharp finishers like Yekini, Amokachi and Siasia. In terms of entertaining, free-flowing, possessive football, I think this is the best we have got since the exit of the 90-98 set.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Afam4eva(m): 10:04am On Jun 24, 2013
I think Eyeama deserves a 7/10 or even an 8/10. He was the man of the match on the NIgerian side. He saved many goals that would otherwise have spelt more doom for the Super Eagles.

Omeruo didn't do much for him to deserve 6/10. Infact, his defensive plunder was what cost us the first goal.

Musa had a less embarrassing game and not a good game. A 6/10 would be plausible.

All in all, i think the team were not bad on the night except for the not-so-good strike force and the mistake prone defense. I think we need to overhaul our striker force. Ideye should remain in the team but he should be moved backward to play as a supporting striker cos it seems he does better at that position. He doesn't have goal sense.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:04am On Jun 24, 2013
Jarus: OVERALL SCORECARD IN THIS TOURNAMENT: This team is going places. The only difference between this team and Eagles' golden era of 1990-1998 is lack of sharp finishers like Yekini, Amokachi and Siasia.

Not just that ooo. Can't see the likes of Iroha, Finidi George in this team ooo.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by KingsleyOGBITI(m): 10:07am On Jun 24, 2013
Mikel and Eyeama did well.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 24, 2013
None of the above
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by timecop28: 10:13am On Jun 24, 2013
Good except that i don't agree with Ideye and Akpala's ratings..5/10 to each would be okay as they still played a good game irrespective of their poor finishing.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Built2last: 10:14am On Jun 24, 2013
This team will do wonders if managed well. we have a growing middle field. we ned to equip our defence and sharpen our attack. Keshi should start working on Emenike, Victor Moses, Ike Uche and Ideye. They all have what it takes. Torres dint start in a day.preparartion for world cup starts now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by infoscope(m): 10:14am On Jun 24, 2013
Jarus: OVERALL SCORECARD IN THIS TOURNAMENT: The Uruguay match was our best in my opinion, followed by Spain, then Tahiti. Our attack was poor. I still hold that we don’t need Osaze (off-field discipline is as important as on-field quality), but I think an IK Uche and Martins would have made difference. But kudos still to Keshi for giving Ujah, Akpala, Babatunde and Gambo a chance. It wasn’t a totally bad tournament, except our attacking flaws. With 3 points and +1 goal difference, Nigeria came 5th in this tournament, although that’s rather flattering, giving the fact we got the goals because we had whipping boys, Tahiti, in our group. Eagles should come back to Africa and continue to be continental champions. This team is going places. The only difference between this team and Eagles' golden era of 1990-1998 is lack of sharp finishers like Yekini, Amokachi and Siasia. In terms of entertaining, free-flowing, possessive football, I think this is the best we have got since the exit of the 90-98 set.

Point on bro, u brought the words outta my mouth. This crop of super Eagles is definitely going places

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Pedagogue: 10:14am On Jun 24, 2013
@ Jarus, well analysed!!!

However, I beg to disagree on some of your ratings!

IDEYE, 4.5 is indeed flattering!!! How can a striker (whether supporting or not ) fail to convert those glorious chances he missed!!! If Arbeloa, a defender, was able to masterfully score like a striker, what was IDEYE's business on the pitch yesterday if not to score! His attitude (like i have always said) is also very terrible...he always wear this posture of unseriousness!!!It was a bad day in the office for him! Just like Gambo, I think 2/10 best describes his performance.

-ECHIEJILE-U scored this lad 5/10!!! Well, it's ur opinion anyway!! If Not for anything else, I think giving ECHIEJILE d same rating with AMBROSE is very contrary to the match I watched yesterday. That dude was fantastic yet again. Just like it happened in previous matches, our main problem is the right wing of d defence where AMBROSE holds sway. It's not a coincidence that most of the goals we conceded yesterday and in this competition came from the right side of the defence and NOT the left!!! For me, MIKEL OBI And ECHIEJILE were our best performers in this competition. A 6/10 would have been more apt!

- OMERUO, in all honesty, he does not deserve the 6/10 u gave him. That dude is indeed a brilliant performer...there's no gainsaying that! But if we are to stick ONLY to his brief performance yesterday, he can be held ( as one of the culprits ) for the first goal we conceded. A 5/10 will be more appropriate.

-OGU- you compared his style of play to Mikel's...that is flattering, to say the least!!! This dude failed to retain possession..he also gave out possession easily! Your 6/10 rating is in my view inconsistent with his performance. He does not deserve more than 4/10.

-MUSA- I partially agree with your analysis of him. He did very well yesterday and he was our most enterprising attacker...but for the dearth of a goal poacher, his crosses would have led to goals. But since he also failed to convert some of the chances we had and the ill timing of some of his crosses, I think 6/10 will be a better judgment of his performance yesterday.

MIKEL- I totally agree. That guy played his heart out yesterday and in previous matches. He deserves all the accolades we can pour on him

Your general assessment- I agree with you. We did quite well...and I'm sure we'll even get better!!! But I honestly hope Keshi has learnt a lesson from this competition- he needs to sheathe his swords and invite the best players the country can offer!!! He, like most Nigerians know that the country has better strikers (home and abroad) than the ones he invited ...and the excuse of Emenike , Moses and Oduamadi's injuries are completely irrelevant here!!!

On a last note, Keshi needs all the support he can get!!! With him, our Super Eagles is SAFE in his hands!!! Mark my words, we will not only qualify for the WC, we will also do very well! D signs are all too clear

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by lordimpaq(m): 10:15am On Jun 24, 2013
Jarus: SUBS
EGWUEKE: Thrown in for injured Omeruo. Against a star-studded Spain is not the best occasion a rookie will want to be tested, but Egwueke still managed to have an average game. He felt jittery, probably star-struck, initially but later came into the game. 5/10

In my opinion, he should have 6/10 as he held his own and did quite well after his introduction.

Jarus:
GAMBO: That miss was unforgiveable. Honestly, I would have scored that goal. If in doubt ask the goal keepers at Ajah Harmony estate emirate stadium, where such goals are my trademark. 2/10

The miss was not just unforgiveable, it was blasphemous...he should score 0.5/10...

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by ItsUncleDee(m): 10:16am On Jun 24, 2013
if nt 4 eyama na die o...dy did dia best
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by timecop28: 10:16am On Jun 24, 2013
Afam4eva: I think Eyeama deserves a 7/10 or even an 8/10. He was the man of the match on the NIgerian side. He saved many goals that would otherwise have spelt more doom for the Super Eagles.

Omeruo didn't do much for him to deserve 6/10. Infact, his defensive plunder was what cost us the first goal.

Musa had a less embarrassing game and not a good game. A 6/10 would be plausible.

All in all, i think the team were not bad on the night except for the not-so-good strike force and the mistake prone defense. I think we need to overhaul our striker force. Ideye should remain in the team but he should be moved backward to play as a supporting striker cos it seems he does better at that position. He doesn't have goal sense.
Musa had a fantastic game in my opinion, do not forget the fact that we played against a stronger opponent. By the way, Ideye scored 27 goals for his club last season., and he doesn't have goal sense?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by jhydebaba(m): 10:17am On Jun 24, 2013
The good thing is that Nigeria is out tongue

Coachie should go back to the drawing board and get good strikers otherwise if we eventually make it to the world cup, the same fate would become of us.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by sureteeboy(m): 10:19am On Jun 24, 2013
That Gambo is a criminal
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by TeenageMoney(m): 10:23am On Jun 24, 2013
Ideye?? He should have gotten 2.5/10... I think he bribed Keshi to leave hhim for 90 mins so he would be opportuned to Beg Torres for Jersey!!!

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 24, 2013
we played a good game. we lacked finishing!
my question is this; don't we have a striker with an impeccable shot power and accuracy?
we need such person on the squad...
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 24, 2013
JideTheBlogger:

Not just that ooo. Can't see the likes of Iroha, Finidi George in this team ooo.

The Finidi-style wing play is no longer used anywhere in the world. The last player with such was David Beckham. And maybe Frank Ribery.

Today's wingers cut in from the wing and lay low pass to a sharp centre forward to finish off, rather than Findi's style of outpacing left back and sending high ball from the wing to drop inside the box with a good header like Adepoju or chester like Yekini to loop into. . I think a polished Musa should be able to do that.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Afam4eva(m): 10:26am On Jun 24, 2013
timecop28:
Musa had a fantastic game in my opinion, do not forget the fact that we played against a stronger opponent. By the way, Ideye scored 27 goals for his club last season., and he doesn't have goal sense?
I don't know where he scored 27 goals but as far as strict opponents or even taking his chances are concerned, he's failed. He's not a clinical finisher. That title goes to likes of Uche, Aiyegbeni, Martins etc. He's more of a supporting striker imo.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by pek(m): 10:36am On Jun 24, 2013
mikael gets am 8and emyema 6? no
it should be the other way round. enyema saved us from embarrassment!
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by timecop28: 10:41am On Jun 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I don't know where he scored 27 goals but as far as strict opponents or even taking his chances are concerned, he's failed. He's not a clinical finisher. That title goes to likes of Uche, Aiyegbeni, Martins etc. He's more of a supporting striker imo.
Dynamo kiev in Ukraine..The league's second top scorer, obviously Nigeria's top scorer in Europe in 2012/2013 season. Do you well remember Uche's performance at the Nations cup?? Aiyegbeni at the World cup?
Quit living in the past bro. These guys mentioned above are finished.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by timecop28: 10:45am On Jun 24, 2013
Check his stats by the way..No penalties, No free kicks..They were all goals from open play.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 24, 2013
timecop28:
Dynamo kiev in Ukraine..The league's second top scorer, obviously Nigeria's top scorer in Europe in 2012/2013 season. Do you well remember Uche's performance at the Nations cup?? Aiyegbeni at the World cup?
Kalu Uche was Nigeria's highest in Europe lats season with 19 goals in Turkey and league's second highest scorer.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by executinal(m): 10:46am On Jun 24, 2013
lordimpaq:

In my opinion, he should have 6/10 as he held his own and did quite well after his introduction.

The miss was not just unforgiveable, it was blasphemous...he should score [size=13pt]0.5/10[/size]...

grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 24, 2013
timecop28: Check his stats by the way..No penalties, No free kicks..They were all goals from open play.

I still believe in Ideye anyway. He is just having bad days. I believe he has the quality.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by madanne4real: 10:47am On Jun 24, 2013
I still do not know why Michael Eneramo was not invited by the Technical team. He is big, strong and agile. He would have done more than the flat attackers we presented in the tournament. It is a learning curve though.
Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Jun 24, 2013
timecop28:
Uche didn't have a good nations cup but he's a very good player and scorer. He actually didn't have the kind of scoring chances seen in this confederation cup in the Nations cup.

That Ayeigbeni made an error in the world cup does not negate the fact that he's a killer in front of goal. Another reason why Aiyegbeni and other previous strikers were not doing much was because, when they were there, the midfield was not as good as it is now, so they often had to come and fight for balls. They were virtually feeding themselves instead of the midfielders doing that. Now, that we have a better midfield and scoring chances, it takes the likes of these guys to convert those chances.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by ManTiger(m): 10:51am On Jun 24, 2013
Keshi should made Ideye and Musa cut their hair. With that Mohawk, Ideye resembles an Armed Robber while Musa resembles almanjiri. An armed Robber's mind will never be stable hence he can't control the ball once, made a good turning and bury the ball inside d net, he headed agood ball directly to the keeper, i repeat, Na army robber he be! Almanjiri's problem na food.
For missing that Goal, it is highly criminous in nature and Gambo should face firing squad.
Above all, Keshi should return 25% of all goodies he got for winning nations cup to Orphanage.
While Martins "Weapon of Mass destruction and the former Inter Milan Whizkid" should be recalled.
I bow my coco.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by BluStreak(m): 10:53am On Jun 24, 2013
Jarus, your analysis of the game last night is a bang. We played a good game like you have all pointed out. Our defense even gave the Spanish team a good run. Our only lax as I see it is on our finishers. Keshi should work more on finishing, this is where the Eagles are lagging behind. With this crop of players and a refined, upgraded, rejuvenated attacking force, the eagles will surprise Nigerians and the world at the next World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Spain - Player Rating by johnstar(m): 10:53am On Jun 24, 2013
pek: mikael gets am 8and emyema 6? no
it should be the other way round. enyema saved us from embarrassment!
u b punk, if mikel knw play dt midfield, dm 4 don score reach 9, cus na him dey push ball forward undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jelks, Okagbare Shine For Nigeria / Masai Ujuri, Toronto Raptors Win NBA 2018/19 Champions (video) / Victor Anichebe Laments About His Knee Injury [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.