Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Best Airport In Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Best Airport In Nigeria? (7908 Views)

Pictured: Roofless Main Terminal Of Yola Airport In Nigeria / Nigerian Dies At JFK Airport In New York / Hong Kong International Airport Named World's Best Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Airport In Nigeria? by jacq(f): 11:26am On May 21, 2006
My friend is coming to nigeria after 10 years of living outside the coutry for the first time in a long time ,he has no experience in which airport he should land without too much hassle

He has a choice between Lagos,Kano or Abuja;but he prefers Abuja above Lagos or Kano.

Who can help us out is Abuja airport better than Lagos and Kano ? and if so what makes one better than the other pls share ur experiences with us .

Thank you.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 4:46pm On May 21, 2006
yes, abuja airport is beta dan any airport in nigeria
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by OldGlory1(m): 6:02pm On May 21, 2006
Tell him to Land in ABJ. It is easier and less stress.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:53pm On May 22, 2006
she's not flying the plane herself is she?  grin

i think it should depend on where she's going afterwards - wherever she lands still she's still going to get hassled in nigeria! no escaping that  wink
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Badman888(m): 3:58pm On May 22, 2006
But where is his final destination, thats the first question i think,
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by OldGlory1(m): 4:31pm On May 22, 2006
Less Hassle in Abuja Airport.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Idekeson(m): 8:42pm On May 22, 2006
LoverBwoy:

wherever she lands still she's still going to get hassled in nigeria! no escaping that

True talk. A friend of mine almost missed his return flight recently at Abuja (despite the claim that it's much improved than Lagos). Hear this! The security agents seized his resident alien card, so they can verify if he is impersonating someone else. Save for a quick phone call to a top govt official he would have missed his flight back to the US.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by MrBean(m): 8:52pm On May 22, 2006
Land at the one that will give you easy access by road to your final destination. I think what you should be worried about is getting on those death traps call local flights and aslo you dont want to travel for long by road because of armed bandits called policemen.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by OldGlory1(m): 9:09pm On May 22, 2006
Scary Huh? Mrlwang i guess it becomes a choice based on proximity, not ease or peace of mind.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by MrBean(m): 9:48pm On May 22, 2006
You bet my brother. And I am speaking form experience.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by GUNNER(f): 10:30pm On May 22, 2006
hassle free airport in naija? undecided
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Badman888(m): 10:32pm On May 22, 2006
Abuja should be the best, but lagos aint that bad just some few troubles here and there from time to time.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by zeb(m): 4:36am On May 23, 2006
Lagos air port is the best if you know your way out.

Just carry $20 dollar note of $10. $10. each

Put $10 on the page of your picture in your passport and close it and give it to the immigration to stamp you in once you land in naija.

If you don't want to give immigration $10 inside your passport.
then you should not be suprise if they start wasting your time and start asking you all manner of question.
how did you get your passport or resident permit?.
Are you sure you are the owner of the document?.
How did you get out of the country and when?.
what kind of job do you do there?.

you can be answering question for an hour only in the airport.

After that. when you are ready to get your luggage & take a taxi to the local-airport
you will still have to give the remaining $10 to the second gate of immigration or else get ready again for unnecessary questions,

please try to take local flight to your destination if you are not living in Lagos for your safety and comfort.
And try to change $200 in the airport to naira for his ticket,

If Ur friend don't like to land in Lagos air-port then i advice him to land in
port-Harcourt wish is easy too,

(If his to afraid then he should call family members to come and pick him up )

THESE ARE THE EXPERIENCE YOU GET WHEN YOU TRAVEL TO YOU FATHER LAND NAIJA,
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 8:30am On May 23, 2006
I've had none of those problems at lagos airport, the people there were quite helpful and quick and no money changed hands (there probably releaved because it was a straight forward job, so less work smiley )

As for departures Lagos airport is a real mess before you go through immigration but once you are through it's fine smiley
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by maki(f): 11:35am On May 23, 2006
port harcourt airport is accomodating less immegration problems

but when it comes you can always handle it

and its neat too with good run-ways
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by markesh(m): 1:28pm On May 23, 2006
If I were you, I would not attempt to bribe people at the airport. Nowadays, it is a risky business. They are much more honest nowadays than before, a and you may meet the wrong person.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by maki(f): 2:32pm On May 23, 2006
i didnt say anything about bribery, i meant proper approach
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by hortongate(m): 3:36pm On May 23, 2006
It's not advisable for you to offer money to those security agents in any form either as an outright bribe or in appreciation for whatever favour you might think they're doing you by allowing you pass freely. Anything like that can be vaguely or otherwise construed to be bribe especially when they've not asked you. It would definitely suggest to them that your papers are fake when of course they're genuine.
My advice: Keep a straight face, be youself, look the officer in the eye, submit your passport and answer any questions that might follow. It's all psychology. You've got to show confidence.
If they ask you for a tip afterwards, it'll be at your discretion to give.

You may come in through the airport closest to your final destination if you observe all these.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by ajadudu: 4:48pm On May 23, 2006
zeb:

Lagos air port is the best if you know your way out.

Just carry $20 dollar note of $10. $10. each

Put $10 on the page of your picture in your passport and close it and give it to the immigration to stamp you in once you land in naija.

THESE ARE THE EXPERIENCE YOU GET WHEN YOU TRAVEL TO YOU FATHER LAND NAIJA,

Zeb, if that worked in the past, I take God beg you, DO NOT try it again.

The airport has been cleaned up to a great extent, the guy you give the $10 might think it is a set up and boy you have already lost your claim for a fair treatment. if he is a bad guy, you have opened yourself up and you will hate yourself when they quote law for your head. $10? them no dey that hungry o, LOL

Further more it will also set off red lights you are up to no good, don't try it, just keep a straight face and be friendly.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:11pm On May 23, 2006
Hunter:

I've had none of those problems at lagos airport, the people there were quite helpful and quick and no money changed hands (there probably releaved because it was a straight forward job, so less work smiley )

As for departures Lagos airport is a real mess before you go through immigration but once you are through it's fine smiley

thats probably because u're red head grin
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 5:25pm On May 23, 2006
Of course, I recommend only Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

The other safe place to land is the Nigeria LNG Airstrip on Bonny Island. It is safer than all the other airports in Nigeria. There is uninterrupted power supply from the Nigeria LNG Power Plant and the Fire Fighters work like in US and the UK.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by MrBean(m): 5:50pm On May 23, 2006
@orikinla

Please you need to check out of your twilght zone back to the real world.

How many carriers use LNG airstip.

Why you no suggest we land for ya backyard intead?  grin grin grin grin
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Badman888(m): 6:22pm On May 23, 2006
LNG airstrip, the plane would just overshoot the runway too small, talking about international airport
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by ababoy1(m): 6:34pm On May 23, 2006
Gotta go with Abuja - Not the domestic end. Shockingly empty - I mean shops and the lot.

The other airports are more or less like bus (coach) stations,
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by jacq(f): 8:55pm On May 23, 2006
I will tell my friend what has been said so far ,

that ABJ might be a bit safer after all.
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Hunter(m): 8:15am On May 24, 2006
LoverBwoy:

thats probably because u're red head grin

It's probably not too often they have a white red-headed australian teenager coming through cheesy
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 10:00am On May 24, 2006
@orikinla

Please you need to check out of your twilght zone back to the real world.

How many carriers use LNG airstip.

Why you no suggest we land for ya backyard intead?

But you should understand Orikinla by now. That was my typical satire.
I mean most of our airports are also grazing grounds for cattle and the fire stations don't have water for emergencies and power outages are common. The Nigeria LNG Airstrip would be safer. grin
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by MrBean(m): 1:11pm On May 24, 2006
@orikinla

I hear you oh!! grin grin grin
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Reverend(m): 6:06pm On May 24, 2006
There is not a good airport in Nigeria. There are no good airlines in Nigeria. Nigeria has one of the World's worst safety records. All airport staff are corrupt and the general condition is appalling!
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by MrBean(m): 6:09pm On May 24, 2006
@reverend

Have you been to Nigeria?
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by Reverend(m): 6:42pm On May 24, 2006
Many times!
Re: Best Airport In Nigeria? by OldGlory1(m): 8:03pm On May 24, 2006
Reverend

That is Harsh. Has a lot of truth to it, but nevertheless very harsh.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips / Finally I Got My Visa! / Dv 2011 American Lottery Results Finally Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.