Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,289 members, 7,780,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:55 PM

Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match (8446 Views)

Enyimba Fc's Infographic After 1st Round Of The 2014/2015 Season / Rafael Nadal Wins Eighth French Open Title / Rafael Nadal Vs Roger Federer Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by dammybravo(m): 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2013
Steve darci stuns Rafael Nadal 7-6(4) 7-6(cool 6-4 Wimbeldon to become first player to beat Rafa in 1st-Round of a major, ending nadal's 22-match unbeaten streak

For the second consecutive year, Rafael Nadal made a shockingly early exit at Wimbledon.

When he was knocked out in the second round a year ago, Nadal was battling a knee injury and admitted this week that he was “not yet ready to play.”

On Monday, the first day of play at Wimbledon, he was upset again, this time in the first round as he appeared again to be battling some sort of leg injury. The fifth-seeded Nadal lost in the first round of a major for the first time in his career, falling to Steve Darcis. An unseeded player from Belgium, Darcis won 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (10-cool, 6-4.

Nadal refused to discuss whether he was hurt, saying it was difficult to adapt his game to grass with little time to prepare after winning the French Open two weeks ago.

“It’s not the day to talk about these kinds of things,” he said in a press conference after the match. “I am confident I will be ready for the next tournament. I played much more than what I dreamed … after the injury, so that’s fantastic and a very positive thing for me.”

Even Darcis admitted his upset was stunning. “I think the same,” he joked in a BBC interview. “Nobody was expecting my win today. … Rafael didn’t play his best tennis today and I knew the first match on grass is always difficult. For me it’s a big win. I tried to do what I like to do: come to the net as soon as I can and not play too far from the baseline.”

Darcis did not, he said, try to capitalize on Nadal’s increasing problems with his knee. “If you start to focus on him, it’s tougher. I tried to focus on myself and what I like to do.”

Even if he chose not to speak about it, Nadal never appeared comfortable in the match and, as it progressed, was trying to avoid putting weight on his left leg.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/06/24/rafael-nadal-upset-in-his-wimbledon-opener/
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by EPOMA(m): 9:13pm On Jun 24, 2013
sorry
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Afam4eva(m): 9:13pm On Jun 24, 2013
Djokovic can now wrap things up.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by misterh(m): 9:15pm On Jun 24, 2013
Wow... Boiz are not smiling!
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by sholay2011(m): 9:15pm On Jun 24, 2013
What time is Serena's match tomao?
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by mysticgal(f): 9:16pm On Jun 24, 2013
Please make up your url or link well it look weirdangry

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by delikay4luv: 9:16pm On Jun 24, 2013
everyday no b christmas
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by sincerenigerian1: 9:17pm On Jun 24, 2013
Like seriously,i dont understand this crap angry angry

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Delafruita(m): 9:18pm On Jun 24, 2013
expected him to get knocked out but not this early.clay is his turf.adapting to grass will take much more time since he just got back from injury.all the better for murray
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Makapounse(m): 9:20pm On Jun 24, 2013
No champion forever. There is only champion of a time

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Tinoxky: 9:20pm On Jun 24, 2013
Hahahahahahaha....i da craze!.. JOB DON FINISH FOR DIS WORLD!.... On your own brother!
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 24, 2013
The link confuse me sha.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Jobig(m): 9:32pm On Jun 24, 2013
Darcis sends Nadal crashing Barry Cowan says the first week of Wimbledon should not
provide too many problems for Andy
Murray. Steve Darcis of Belgium produced what
will surely prove the biggest shock of this
year's Wimbledon by knocking Rafael
Nadal out in straight sets. The world No 135 played the match of his
career to become the first player to oust
the two-time Wimbledon champion in the
first round of a Grand Slam event. Nadal suffered a stunning second round
defeat at the hands of the unheralded
Lukas Rosol 12 months ago but Darcis
went one better to send the Spaniard
home 7-6 7-6 6-4. The 29-year-old, who had never previously
beaten any top-five player in his career,
capitalised on Nadal's lack of movement as
the former winner struggled to deal with
the switch from clay to grass. Nadal had defied the odds to return to his
best on the red dirt since his extended
injury absence last year, winning seven
tournaments including the French Open
earlier this month. However, those knee problems continue to
plague him and he looked a shadow of the
player who won the title at SW19 in 2008
and 2010. But that should take nothing away from
Darcis, who took his chances when they
were offered and won the big points
when it mattered. "Rafa did not play his best match here, it is
hard when it is your first match on grass,"
Darcis said. "I just wanted to play my own
game, coming to the net and not playing
far from the baseline. "I have always played well on grass,
perhaps not here where I have had some
tough draws, but I am really happy. I don't
know what to say." Darcis swept through the first tie-break
7-4 to take an unexpected lead but Nadal
got the break to lead 6-5 in the next, only
for the Belgian to level and force another
breaker. Nadal soon found himself down 6-3 but he
fought back to level only for Darcis double
his lead by eventually taking it 10-8 on his
fifth set point. Darcis then moved ahead with an
immediate break early in the third set
when it started to become clear that a
major shock was on the cards. Nadal had long since given up chasing
every ball down but although he came up
with the occasional glimpse of magic,
Darcis seemed to be find the answers
when it mattered most. The Spaniard was unable to put any real
pressure on his opponent's serve, which
held up well under pressure and a 13th ace
saw Darcis home after two hours and 55
minutes.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 24, 2013
And i thought he'll win it o.. As i dnt want Djokovic to win, i'm nw an Andy Murray fan.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 24, 2013
EPOMA: sorry
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Opey4luv(m): 9:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
tonguetonguetongue Nadal!!! You know what, you aren't the only tennis player, let others too make a name for themselves. tonguetonguetongue

Make some1 halla this to my tax evading dwarf (Lionel Messi) also. tonguetonguetongue
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
Even Tipsarevic and Marcos Baghdatis have been knocked out. This year's seeding isn't reall that good for players in the middle ranking
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by olawaletaiwo(m): 9:41pm On Jun 24, 2013
haa.lol..i beg joooor.. shey na only you.. shey u don forget the person way he create you, Nadal go sit down joor, accept it like dat.. ur family need to see u .. go home...oooooooooo
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by ivili(m): 9:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
Nadal messed up big time,i just lost money on that match.Funny thing is,i gave Nadal a 3-0 win over darci.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
Opey4luv: tonguetonguetongue Nadal!!! You know what, you aren't the only tennis player, let others too make a name for themselves. tonguetonguetongue

Make some1 halla this to my tax evading dwarf (Lionel Messi) also. tonguetonguetongue
HATER

2 Likes

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by thrugemaster(m): 9:49pm On Jun 24, 2013
sh1t indeed happens
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by UyiIredia(m): 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
This reinforces the notion that he is a clay-court champion.

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
Opey4luv: tonguetonguetongue Nadal!!! You know what, you aren't the only tennis player, let others too make a name for themselves. tonguetonguetongue

BadBelle
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by SaintChukz(m): 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2013
Nadal is only King on Clay...but when it comes to other surfaces, he is just Average. Am not surprised at all...just that it was an early ouster, always knew he would be sent packing @ one point or the other. Now..the coast is clear for my No.1 choice. Novak Djoko...the Beast....!smiley
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by SaintChukz(m): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia: This reinforces the notion that he is a clay-court champion.
You are right. And he definitely won't go down as the greatest.That title still legitimately belongs to the Swiss Master and Maestro....Roger Federer.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nuzo1(m): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2013
It was expected. Tho not this early....and with that margin....and average player...and this not clay court.

Nadal fans should be ready henceforth to hear less of their hero in coming competions.
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2013
What a suprise.

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by snellsun(m): 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2013
Jokovich all d way...
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 24, 2013
If only he left his pant alone!

1 Like

Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Expensive72(m): 10:16pm On Jun 24, 2013
grin God don answer My prayer, where is my man Roger & my bab Serena make una carry go jor...no time
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by oyeleyemaureen(m): 10:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
too bad for the world no 4
Re: Rafael Nadal Knocked-out Of Wimbledon 2013 In 1st Round Match by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 24, 2013
Tennis self, today you are number 1 next week you are number 10 and I mean it literally, I wonder how they sleep at night knowing one newbie is out there getting ready to take over.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NFA Electoral Appeals Committee Upholds Pinnick’s Election. / Mbappe, Neymar And Messi Start For PSG Together / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.