Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,015 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (263656 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Abagworo(m): 10:45pm On Jun 26, 2013
spyder880: I love building houses, and the attendant challenges that will inevitably come with it. I love making things happen, and working with skilled men to use materials in creating beautiful designs that will make a superb home. I have just been contracted by a Nairalander to build his house in Port Harcourt. The details are as follows;

Project: A 5 bedroom executive duplex
Client : A Nairalander
Duration: 60 days
Project cost: N8.8m (Foundation-roofing, materials and labour)
Contractor: Ckenneths Homes Nig.

This project will start this week as we arrange to travel down to the city and start work. This house comes with all the latest designs in modern building, granite, decent room arrangement with bigger bedrooms, internal plumbing and electricals, special parapet cornice, stone coated roofing tiles, everything.......

Is the 8.8 milliion the entire project cost with plastering, roofing, landscaping and completion? I recently built a 6 bedroom duplex and it cost me 45million at a very controlled rate. I wonder how you expect to achieve a 5 bedroom with 8.8million.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 26, 2013
Nigerian cities look weird! Jeez... What is going on?!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by antartica(m): 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
baby_123:

You think we have money and time for termite damage, flood sweeping away our houses. Do you think we have insurance on houses? We build it solid so it can last for years. The down side is that you cannot easily modify. Who cares about modifying if you get it all planned out at once.

Wood could be treated against termites and bugs before they are used.And just because there are high proportion of woods in building does not mean it is going to be a weakling.It will still be supported with fortified concrete and steels where needed.

Even well used mud and thatch could make a fortress.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
Engrsam: @ Spider, i know how you are going to do this,am building a similar thing myself in calabar, beside am an Engineer, but i have spent over 13m,just about to start parapet and have not done rofing, let alone plastering and painting,i don't know how you want to perform the magic but i wish you good luck. find attached pix.

13m and no roof? Anyway, depending on the actual size of the floor, maybe its too large?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:52pm On Jun 26, 2013
Abagworo:

Is the 8.8 milliion the entire project cost with plastering, roofing, landscaping and completion? I recently built a 6 bedroom duplex and it cost me 45million at a very controlled rate. I wonder how you expect to achieve a 5 bedroom with 8.8million.

Thank you, the project is for only the cost of foundation till roofing, 'carcas' only. No finishing at all, no plastering, no tiles, no electrical fitting or toilet fittings. Besides my own house in Enugu cost me 10.5m to complete to liveable levels like this....https://www.nairaland.com/698906/real-cost-building-6-bedroom
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by AbuMikey(m): 10:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
Am an aspiring Architect!! So I deserve a Front row seat! cool
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
Engrsam: @ Spider, i know how you are going to do this,am building a similar thing myself in calabar, beside am an Engineer, but i have spent over 13m,just about to start parapet and have not done rofing, let alone plastering and painting,i don't know how you want to perform the magic but i wish you good luck. find attached pix.

Bro , fine structure you are erecting there . To your assertion , I want you to know that size and designs are determinant factors in the cost of building project , in your case citing the width of that picture you posted , it must be more than 5 bedrooms duplex , or if it happen to be , it means you wasted a lot of space for inconsequential things . I have been there before , so I know what M8.8 naira can achieve when managed prudently .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by collynzo2(m): 10:53pm On Jun 26, 2013
Abagworo:

Who dash monkey banana?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Sundahjoe(m): 10:57pm On Jun 26, 2013
Haba.., that figure too small for the building. I no wan see another thread here saying it collapse
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by antartica(m): 10:57pm On Jun 26, 2013
spyder880:

Emmmm, do you think the type of wood needed to build a solid house safe from our unsafe society will be cheap to use as a substitute to blocks and concrete? Just asking?

It is my presumption that woods should natural be cheaper and less tedious than concrete.Apart from that,woods takes up less space and tend to keep the buildings streamlined and proportional.

And there is a wide opening for timber cultivating,harvesting,distribution and replanting.A market nigeria as a country hasn't even thought.

At this point,loggers are bus destroying the little remaining rain forests in nigeria,unchecked,uncontrolled and unregulated.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jun 26, 2013
antartica: Why don't nigerian builders use more woods in buildings,keep it streamlined and cost effective?

Why must it be all round concrete like you are building bunkers?
You well so? How person go use wood build 4 story building? No be craze be that?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by collynzo2(m): 11:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
All those illegal collections by Obio Akpor boys have been banned, thanks to Governor Amaechi. This number was provided by Rivers State Police for anyone who experiences disturbance from them: 08033777717

4 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 26, 2013
berem: You well so? How person go use wood build 4 story building? No be craze be that?

Ignorance is a disease ( no insult intended ). Sis , under normal circumstance , wood is the best material for erecting high rising buildings, in the west that's the norm .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
Empero1:

Ignorance is a disease ( no insult intended ). Sis , under normal circumstance , wood is the best material for erecting high risen buildings, in the west that's the norm .
That's in the west and not Nigeria!.Did you consider the climatic differences first?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by antartica(m): 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
berem: You well so? How person go use wood build 4 story building? No be craze be that?

I don't think we are talking of four story buildings here.But even as a four story high proportions of woods can still be used as floor board,supporting wall boards and inner fixtures.Everything seems to be cement in nigeria,with little use of woods,except for roofing.And i don't think it is innovative.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 26, 2013
berem: That's in the west and not Nigeria!.Did you consider the climatic differences first?

Climate difference is not an issue , with quality woods , you are good to go.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Engrsam: 11:08pm On Jun 26, 2013
@ spyder, i don't know how you intend to achieve 5 Bedroom duplex with 8.8m, am an Engineer and also building for myself,i have spent almost 13m and about to start parapet no roofing yet let alone plastering and final completion. I don't know how you intend to perform the magic, but i wish you best of luck, take care. find attached pix.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 26, 2013
Empero1:

Climate difference is not an issue , with quality woods , you are good to go.
Interesting! I bet no one in Nigeria would dare try building even a storey building with wood no matter how cheap it is. Clay Bricks which is good too, majority of Nigerians don't use it. We are used to Cement. That's why Dangote keep making billions from it.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by segcymoor(m): 11:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
Well done!

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tellwisdom: 11:17pm On Jun 26, 2013
Mr Spyderman, do you build sky scrapper?? Bridge nko?? sad
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by collynzo2(m): 11:17pm On Jun 26, 2013
Empero1:

Ignorance is a disease ( no insult intended ). Sis , under normal circumstance , wood is the best material for erecting high rising buildings, in the west that's the norm .
It's only the norm in places where hurricane/tornado occurs regularly. Imagine a concrete building falling on you during a natural disater and compare the impact with a wooden building. With due respect sir, you are the one who is ignorant.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by dinoescobar(m): 11:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
spyder880:

Ok, although I have already spoken with some people and they are moving for it already, I will contact you if I need another set, thanks.

For your building/construction needs. Your search stops here

We are a Private Company based in Calabar, Cross River State. We can conveniently supply gravels,rocks and chippings of any Grade and quantity, including stone dust to anywhere around Calabar, Uyo and Environs.

Our prices are very moderate and competitive and delivery is swift.

We look forward to doing business with serious minded Individuals or Companies and your satisfaction guaranteed.

Interested parties can contact via
Etimoqua@gmail.com

Thank You.
Spyder more grease to ur elbow, will be following ur progress.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
berem: Interesting! I bet no one in Nigeria would dare try building even a storey building with wood no matter how cheap it is. Clay Bricks which is good too, majority of Nigerians don't use it. We are used to Cement. That's why Dangote keep making billions from it.

Majority of we Nigerians are not always ready to embrace change , that's the reason .

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ganasy: 11:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
spydee411: Did you say 8.8million Naira for a detached house. The budget it not feasible my brother! That money can barely get u to decking not to talk of roofing or plastering

i strongly agree with u. am an architect, n am sure dat amount wont do more dat jst d block work n mayb d roof carcass. though i dont kw wat type of materials he intends to use. bt waiting for him to surprise me
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by stpat1(m): 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2013
You must be very prudent to pull it through at that budget. Good luck
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 11:25pm On Jun 26, 2013
@Abagworo Did I heard you said you just spend 45m for 6 bedrooms duplex? May I ask if the cost of land is included, well if you're being around this forum before you start, you may have learned a lot of cost saving methods that may have save you thousands if not million. Well let's give professor Spyder benefit of doubt to prove himself. He did before, I believe he will do it again. For that of 45m price tag on the 6 bedrooms duplex, it depends on whom you give your building contract.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by asaju10(m): 11:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
spyder880:

You have a good point, PH is expensive in most things, from granite to sand and even the labour costs here na die! But I will be pushing the boundaries of focused spending with a deep knowledge about the safest ways to pay lower and get more for less. I will also be coming in with my team of workers from Enugu, and they must agree to work with me in PH with Enugu labour rates. I will build a 'batcher' for them to live on this site.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Afam4eva(m): 11:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
Empero1:

Majority of we Nigerians are not always ready to embrace change , that's the reason .
People are afraid to be the first to embrace change. They don';t want to be the first casualty of whatever may result from it. I don't know much about buildings but i want to believe there should be a reason why Nigerians go for blocks instead of wood. Could it be because we don't have quality woods in Nigeria or because woods are easily destroyable. I've seen houses in the US that were built with wood and were brought down by Tornadoes and hurricanes. I doubt if that will happen to bricks as much.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by collynzo2(m): 11:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
People are afraid to be the first to embrace change. They don';t want to be the first casualty of whatever may result from it. I don't know much about buildings but i want to believe there should be a reason why Nigerians go for blocks instead of wood. Could it be because we don't have quality woods in Nigeria or because woods are easily destroyable. I've seen houses in the US that were built with wood and were brought down by Tornadoes and hurricanes. I doubt if that will happen to bricks as much.
Like I wrote before, they build with bricks particularly for the reason you just stated above. When a tornado occurs most buildings will fall, whether it's made of brick or wood. When this happens there are likely to be more survivors if the building is wooden. From the economic point of view why should I spent mich money in erecting a concrete building when it's likely to be brought down by tornado anyway?
Conclusion: we as Nigerians shouldn't just copy things senselessly, concrete buildings remain the best for our climate.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ogaibe1(m): 11:40pm On Jun 26, 2013
spyder880 i have followed your past building contracts and the threads. I like the way you detail items. if you are able to accomplish this project with 8.8 million like you said i have a contract for you. Actually i have a cousin who is sucking me dry right now because i am not around for my six bedroom self contained house that am currently building. But i have plans next year of a duplex. I wish i knew about you. Sometimes is better to trust a stranger than family members because they feel that if you live abroad then the money is flowing. I think there are still some nigerians that can be trusted.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 11:46pm On Jun 26, 2013
Oga Sypder I will advise you to send your business idea with your resume, of all your building projects portfolio with picture of you in action.To the event of unicef thru information that the brother provided above, I can bet you someone will get in touch with you. This is America information is power here please art fast.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.