Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,399 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38370 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by somegirl1: 7:43pm On Jun 29, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley

contradictory

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
Adufaye: Afta mikel leave Nigeria 2 London u wan try d fake accent

If u dy find fake accent go listen 2 any footballer wey dy play 4 Europe
I dont think mikel fakes it...he's been in England for up to 7 years now and he converses with these people on a daily basis, what do u expect? he must have either picked it up deliberately to help his conversation or it came naturally while relating with people. Me and my Ghana friends speak pidgin eyeday like craze but when we relate to others, for the sake of understanding, we dont even know when the accent comes out. For one, they teach foreigners how to relate esp if you intend to spend more than four years in their land.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Diasporan(m): 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
Nigerians should emulate the Ghanian-American Comedian Michael Blackson.His originality and African accent earned him his popularity and friendship with top celebrities in America
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Ikengawo: 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
Mamacita007: If u stay abroad for some time, u'll start pronouncing some words differently without knowing same thing with accent

this is a lie.

IF YOU ARRIVE INTO A COUNTRY PAST THE AGE OF 20 YOUR ACCENT WON'T GO AWAY
youe vocal cords are done developing and won't change, you will have a nigerian accent for life, which there's nothing wrong with. But all of these nigerians come here and try to fake accents like fools not knowing the rest of us went to school

people are even mocking the 'nigerian accent' because the only accent westerners hear is the FAKE american and FAKE british one so they think we all talk like Kermit The Frog. I tell them that any nigerian that talks like that is using a fake accent and they look at me in puzzlement wondering why someone would fake an accent for any reason as if we don't know they're from Africa. Nigerians are only fooling themselves with that shit, everyone knows it's fake and sound like a creature. Use your natural accent, oyibo women love accents but your fools are trying to toast women talking like a frog. chie.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nonybb: 7:45pm On Jun 29, 2013
Accent faking is a result of not being proud of ones identity. Most ppl that have gone to europe came bck with a tactical shameful rented accent. Soon after those accents expire and they are bck at square one again
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
aniffy4eva: IMHO.. Your accent doesn't matter.. as long as you COMMUNICATE effectively. If you like, speak through your nostrils grin

Hehe exactly!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 7:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley
What you wrote is logically incnsistent and self-contradictory. sad You detest fake accent, yet u use it to converse with people? undecided What exactly are u trying to say bros...nor come here dey form for us abeg.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Princek12(m): 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2013
Ikengawo:

this is a lie.

IF YOU ARRIVE INTO A COUNTRY PAST THE AGE OF 20 YOUR ACCENT WON'T GO AWAY
youe vocal cords are done developing and won't change, you will have a nigerian accent for life, which there's nothing wrong with. But all of these nigerians come here and try to fake accents like fools not knowing the rest of us went to school

people are even mocking the 'nigerian accent' because the only accent westerners hear is the FAKE american and FAKE british one so they think we all talk like Kermit The Frog. I tell them that any nigerian that talks like that is using a fake accent and they look at me in puzzlement wondering why someone would fake an accent for any reason as if we don't know they're from Africa. Nigerians are only fooling themselves with that shit, everyone knows it's fake and sound like a creature. Use your natural accent, oyibo women love accents but your fools are trying to toast women talking like a frog. chie.

GBAM
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by sulaimon99(m): 7:48pm On Jun 29, 2013
try nigeria radio presenters #nigeria info and some others ....then you will know people do fake accent

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 7:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
kevoh: Just speak slowly and clearly in your thick Naija accent people will definitely understand you.
You wish. People here will keep struggling to understand you. You won't believe how hard it is for some of them. The first girl I met in Britain, I asked her to pass me the pillow. You'd think pillow is easy to say. I said it three times and then I had to point to the pillow before she understood. And don't forget, different parts of Britain (like USA) have different accents. Just wait for the scouse accent of Liverpool area grin

By the time you live and work with these guys for years, your Nigerian accent go change small. It's not faking, but it's not the same as it was when you lived in Nigeria. But it's not American Accent either. People in Nigeria may mistake it for American accent but its not. It's just modified Naija accent. It's not only Nigerians, it also happens to Indians, Koreans, etc. and this happens without you knowing it.

All those guy in Nigeria who speak phonetics are not displaying American or even British accents. Yes, I'm talking of pastor Chris, Governor Duke etc. what they speak is not American accent. And not British (I've lived in both countries)

As for nollywood, those ones na original fake accents. grin

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by PeeDaVinci: 7:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
i think 2 different issues are being mixed up here - faking an accent and learning a new accent (and maybe, a new diction) to make yourself more understandable to some set of people.
one simple difference between the two is that, the former is based on assumption of the accent of a set of people based on movies you have seen, while the later is acquired by interacting with the set of pple using the accent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2013
The Business Sector loves fake British Accents especially.. looking to close that deal? it helps if you have a British Accent. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by braveheart2012(m): 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
This particular issue annoys the heck out of me. Why do Nigerians assume every Nigerian with a British or US accent is faking it? It's just bloody ignorance. I don't doubt that some Nigerians acquire fake "accents" after a two-week vacation abroad. However, many Nigerians that school, work and live abroad acquire new speech patterns after a few years.

I was born and raised in Nigeria (and I speak perfect, fluent Yoruba) but I have been abroad for more than a decade. These days I have to fake it to sound "Nigerian" when I am speaking English with my Nigerian friends. Unfortunately, I don't hang out with Nigerians often (and I rarely watch or listen to Nigerian media); when I am not with Nigerians (i.e. about 95% of the time), I use my normal Americanized accent. My normal speech patterns have changed so much that I now switch to Yoruba when talking on the phone with my parents or family back home just to avoid coming across as fake/arrogant. My American accent isn't fake, it's just how my speech patterns have evolved after spending more than a decade abroad. All my 100% Naija friends that have been in the US for as long as I have also speak the same way. If you move abroad before the age of 25, your accent will change dramatically after a few years of intense interactions with your host culture. There is nothing fake about that.

PS - It's truly ironic that most Americans don't think I have an American accent at all but Nigerians and other non-Americans think my accent is American. My accent is a mix of British + Nigerian + American. I don't care if it's a mixture of 10 accents... as long as can communicate clearly and effectively.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by crackhaus: 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
apache77: I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

Do you agree with me? or there is a more profound reason? Share your thoughts
You're absolutely right except on the emboldened text.. most still talk like they're in the UK or in the US
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Diasporan(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
[b]In addition to my first comment sha its not easy to use the normal Nigerian accent cause it sucks.Been embarrassed many times by African Americans continuously telling me "Huh whaa u say?" whenever i speak to them.Sometimes i record my voice and laugh at myself speaking the Naija accent.I am a typical Warri brought up though later moved to London and then to Abuja before having a final stop in America but damn whenever i speak you get out the Warfiness not even Naija accent in my voice.Just last week my Camerounian friend told me i speak like those Comedians in a Nite of a thousand Laugh he then asked me where i grew up in Nigeria.He couldn't stop laughing when i told him.But if you see my composure and appearance you will doubt it that i stayed in Warri for 22 years.But am more fluent and comfortable with my British accent though than the American accent.Another thing is the more you mingle with white folks or AA it tends to affect your accent either in school or where you work.Infact its an unconscious act.But one unique thing about the Nigerian accent is that it stands out from that of other Africans.Foreigners can easily tell that you are from Nigeria and i don't know how they know grin grin [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by toshmann(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
PeeDaVinci: i think 2 different issues are being mixed up here - faking an accent and learning a new accent (and maybe, a new diction) to make yourself more understandable to some set of people.

Sure, people mix up the two

lagerwhenindoubt: The Business Sector loves fake British Accents especially.. looking to close that deal? it helps if you have a British Accent. grin grin grin grin

Ohio, you can tell a very good lie in British accent and people who know its a lie will swear that they believe you grin

American chicks love the British accent like ice cream. They also love clear correct English in a soft understandable foreign accent. ( bc they know they, Americans, don't speak good English grin )
FBI abego, na joke cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Fwidino: 7:58pm On Jun 29, 2013
googlepikin: my dear if you can carefully read dis your english you are writing here you go know sey you grow for village.
. . .hahahaha my guy i swear grin
googlepikin: my dear if you can carefully read dis your english you are writing here you go know sey you grow for village.
. . .hahahaha my guy i swear
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by freecocoa(f): 8:00pm On Jun 29, 2013
Originalsly: Instead of faking an accent it is better you practice speaking correct English and speak clearly.Fake American accent was one of the main reasons that turned people away from Nollywood movies in the US.Fake accents should be kept within Nigeria...it can work here...not abroad. In one sentence you can hear these idiots change from a New York to a Southern to some version of a UK accent....and they think they are doing great!What would you think of a person who begins speaking to you in Igbo accent that changes to Yoruba accent and ends up the sentence with thick Hausa accent?
cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by whitecat007: 8:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
My accent has stayed the same and I don't care if they understand me or not. Few people have asked me to speak slowly, that's it. Its all mischief.

See as they understand you fast the moment you ask if they need hearing aid.

apache77: I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by jpphilips(m): 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
i love the french and russian accents when they speak english, it makes me h0rny

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by whitecat007: 8:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
grin grin grin

Mr knowitall.:
are you advocating for Nigerians to fake American accent? do you have any idea of what Nigerians sound like trying to fake American accent? they sound like jackazz...no need to be faking accents just speak normal..
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by FASTLINK1: 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
I don't get it when people get worked up over nothing, English on it's own is a foreign language, and if must be spoken, should be in the foreign way else, speak your native language and have just only your people patronise you.

Furthermore, Pidgin english is an abuse of English Language and was adopted to accommodate the semi-literate ones among us.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by nenergy(m): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
World's 12 sexiest accents | CNN Travel
http://m.travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/worlds-sexiest-accents-130333
Our accent sexy, so why fake another. Reminds me of the latest 'AREA' video. E.g Bature gian one.lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by lyfe(m): 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
@Delors said it right, It is not easy using the conc Nigerian accent in the western world else you would sound like a nuisance. Nigerian accent is fine and it has been argued to be one of the top 10 sexiest accents all over the world. But when you step outside the shores of Nigeria it is advisable that you change the way you speak learn new way of expressing yourself hitch-free.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
OP na lie! One eediot wey I knw for years 4 benin here gained admission into UNILAG. My guy spend only one semester come back begin dey pronounce "you" as "yew". The word "what", he turn am 2 "whaa". I look down look up say "God why? Who do dis guy dis kain thing?" grin

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by NellyGhenghen(m): 8:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
I also noticed, mOst people with fake accents opt for the "american accent" cos its a lot easier, its almost impossible to fake a british accent, ud sound so ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 29, 2013

i'm proud of my nigerian accent.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by DoffMan2: 8:15pm On Jun 29, 2013

It goes both ways. Last time I was in America I had lunch with this lady and her (black american) boyfriend, and I could hardly hear what he was saying!

Needless to say that he wasn't any clearer after 5 brandies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by buchibabe: 8:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
Michael Sokoto: OP na lie! One eediot wey I knw for years 4 benin here gained admission into UNILAG. My guy spend only one semester come back begin dey pronounce "you" as "yew". The word "what", he turn am 2 "whaa". I look down look up say "God why? Who do dis guy dis kain thing?" grin

Heheheheh! Abeg leave d guy na. Make e practice wetin e go learn for lag
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 8:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
[b]It's easy to detect fake if you are a Nigerian who has lived in America for a while and probably went to school there and understand the language a lot better. When a Nigerian is faking it, we can tell. You can fake British but can never fake American to native speakers. Here is why? American english is built on jaw, mouth; tongue movement and their distinctive vowel and consonant sounds. The tongue is the most noticeable part of the mouth that American utilize often. Here is why? If a Nigerian is not sticking out his/her tongue out in saying voiced and unvoiced "th" sounds as in the, three, thought, think, with, and many others; RIGHT THERE, He/She doesn't know the language enough well and is just faking it. Why? 99% of the time, American native speakers will never understand what he/she is saying. Here is an example...those faking it will pronounce "thought" and "taught" the same leaving us native speakers wondering what he or she is saying. You must stick out your tongue to say the "th" sound. And understanding the difference between voiced and unvoiced also.

They are many instances as in "h" sound. Nigerians don't pronounce "h" until they get to learn that american; stress "h" in all their words. Another, which is perhaps the overarching of all American sounds besides "th" is "r". Americans stress "r" in every word. Nigerian faking it will pronounce car as in "ca" but native speakers and nigerians who are genuinely speaking it correctly, will say "carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".....you must roll that tongue back to pronounce the "r".

To Nigerians faking it particularly American English, it's the "pronunciation" and not the "voice" that changes your accent. I have encountered some Nigerians speaking with pinched nose or talking like a pidgin bird to imitate whites but forgetting that it is the pronunciation that matters and not the voice. Blacks; black men in particular have coarse voice than any other races of men...yes we do. So speak proud with that masculine voice but pronounce correctly. Obama speaks with African/black voice if you listen to him carefully but his pronunciation is what separates him and makes him an American native speaker. Actually native speakers do think he has a distinctive accent because of his african-like voice. [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Diasporan(m): 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2013
Chibuebem: i'm proud of my nigerian accent.
Wait until you are embarrassed by the way you speak abroad then you can come and tell us if you are proud of it or not.For the now stay calm and enjoy the accent

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by kreamidiva(f): 8:22pm On Jun 29, 2013
joeydozzy: The bestu acenti you can get anywiere nwanne m is the Ibo accent
Notu justi Ibo, the thicky one nu ooo

Babies and oyoyo m na adabekes all feeli lovudu by me and ha ncha orluways wanna geti down withi me wink wink

Nwanne,idi ok.

Let's give it up for Mr Jay-Jay Okocha......#clap,clap,clap# who retained his enugu accent despite all his sojourn in obodo onyibo. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Air Peace Receives Brand New Airplane From Brazil (video) / Port Harcourt 7pm Curfew: Residents Trapped In Traffic Gridlock: Pics & Video / Nest Oil Private Jet Lost Control At Abuja Airport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.