Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,911 members, 7,806,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38378 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 29, 2013
Well said bro, evn if u r in their midst pls be urself cuz they knw when u tryin to hard
Afam4eva:
If you're speaking American accent when you're in the midst of Americans, you're also faking it. Being fake does not only apply when you're talking to a select crowd. It's universal. If you have an Igbotic accent then you have to speak it wherever you go to be considered real.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Diasporan(m): 9:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
Nigerians that i can't stop laughing at are the ones that resides in None speaking European countries i.e Belgium,Spain,Ukraine that will still want to form foreign accent grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lol grin You left out the people who leave Cameroon with an American accent. No be French dem dey speak for Cameroon? grin

LMAO grin grin grin

Nigerians love to show off.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by mediainspired: 9:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
@OP, if Americans & Brits think d naija English drawl is too heavy & slow, then wat do they make of Ugadan, Zambian & some Kenyans' accent. Even me,sometimes i wonder if those guys are speaking English or their language. u wil need an interpreter for their English.A typical Calabarman or Hausaman english are d closest thing in naija. lol
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
You got it spot on. It's more of trying to sound cool than being coherent.
You guys are wrong. Courtesy demands you speak in a clear and coherent way. (If you can).
What is wrong with me saying pass me that glass of wa-tha as opposed to saying wa-TA when that's what everyone around me says? Why cnt I say Raout as opposed to route if everyone around me says it.
You are only forming when you try so hard to speak ibonics, other than that, you guys are wrong with your assertions

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:26pm On Jun 29, 2013
I think the Pan-NIgerian accent is getting too similar to the American accent. A time will come when we'll be speaking just like Americans. Take a drive to Unilag and the posh areas of Lagos and you'll noticed Americanized accents from people that have never been to even Cotonou.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Elmos: 9:28pm On Jun 29, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley
I reside in North East of United State, the accent here is far different from those from the south. I could speak like British but, even with my years of staying here in US i Can not speak with their accent, I have decided to stick to my Nigerian way of speaking, they too should learn how to speak like me. Initially, it was difficult, with my degree from Nigeria some were asking me if I speak English, such questions made me then furious, but with time I understand that they could not understand my accent. Also so many things are not call the same thing, what you call booth of your car here is call something else same apply to many things, I once wrote in my business card, " Adjacent to" I was advised to changed it to "OPPOSITE TO" Tell somebody to Reverse his or her car here, will be wasting your time for they will not understand. If you stay very close to the ORIGINAL black American, particularly the uneducated ones, it would be worse talking to them, they simply don't talk they literally sing, everything to them is slang. One keep saying to me " Hi fuuu" I was agree with him while will he be calling me fool, but later I realized he was actually me " Hi folk"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:29pm On Jun 29, 2013
A-town:

You guys are wrong. Courtesy demands you speak in a clear and coherent way. (If you can).
What is wrong with me saying pass me that glass of wa-tha as opposed to saying wa-TA when that's what everyone around me says? Why cnt I say Raout as opposed to route if everyone around me says it.
You are only forming when you try so hard to speak ibonics, other than that, you guys are wrong with your assertions
How come Americans don't use WA-TA as opposed to WA-THA when they come to your country. Why should we be the ones trying to change the way we speak to suit others? if you change the way you speak for whatever reason, it's called faking. I wonder if those Americans even decipher when these Nigerians try to fake their accent. I can't stand fake people especially those my Igbotic guys that mix Igbo accent and American accent. That's one of the worst combinations i hate hearing. Tufiakwa.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 29, 2013
I experience this stuff too, when i was discussing with someone from China, the lady was saying i should speak louder lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by queenbinteo: 9:32pm On Jun 29, 2013
Diasporan: Nigerians that i can't stop laughing at are the ones that resides in None speaking European countries i.e Belgium,Spain,Ukraine that will still want to form foreign accent grin grin
They are all over Lagos. They have never been outside the country all their lives yet their accent is ridiculous!! Shior
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by tellwisdom: 9:38pm On Jun 29, 2013
Nigerian with fake accent?? ..I hope they arrested him?? sad
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by sandysprax(m): 9:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
Does the term "Nigerian accent" apply to only Nigerians who grew up speaking their native languages hence have very thick Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa accent cos if that is the case, there is no way a white man can understand a word of what you are saying to them. I grew up speaking English in Abuja before going to study in London and I never had problems communicating with the brits (Except for when I went to Liverpool). The big question should therefore be, What exactly is "Nigerian accent"? Cos I think this does not apply to this generation of kids born in cities like Abuja, Lagos & PHC who grow up speaking English.

For the records, My uncle has been in the UK since 1968 and he still dishes out Igbo proverbs that is only obtainable from the remotest part of my village. He hasn't picked up any british accents whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Waspy(m): 9:43pm On Jun 29, 2013
Africans and low self-esteem...If a Jamaican or anyone frm the Isles speak in America, pple knw where they come frm and nobdy feels bad for it, same with an Asian, Italian, Irish, a French, Spanish etc...Na wa for fakers o

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 9:44pm On Jun 29, 2013
sandysprax: Does the term "Nigerian accent" apply to only Nigerians who grew up speaking their native languages hence have very thick Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa accent cos if that is the case, there is no way a white man can hear a word of what you are saying to them. I grew up speaking English in Abuja before going to study in London and I never had problems communicating with the brits (Except for when I went to Liverpool). The big question should therefore be, What exactly is "Nigerian accent"? Cos I think this does not apply to this generation of kids born in cities like Abuja, Lagos & PHC who grow up speaking English.

For the records, My uncle has been in the UK since 1968 and he dishes out Igbo proverbs that is only obtainable from the remotest part of my village. He hasn't picked up any british accent whatsoever.
There are accents that are peculiar to ethnic groups ie Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa accent. Then there's a Pan-Nigerian accent that is spoken by a lot of people in the Posh parts of Lagos, Abuja, PH and other Nigerian cities. This Pan-Nigerian accent is a combination of British, American and our local accents(Igbo, Yoruba, hausa etc). If you speak the Pan-Nigerian accent then you won't have a problem being understood by the Brits and Americans.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by linearity: 9:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
There is nothing new here, it is one of the ways to survival in a foreign Country...some even hire Accent modification professionals to train them.

When you attend an interview, where the interviewer keeps asking you to repeat yourself; then nobody will tell you before you start modifying your speech patterns.

Most times, it will involve speaking more clearly and also more deliberate...in other cases you have to substitute new words and phrases into your linguistic...e.g. in the US they do not understand 'around about'..you have to say 'Circle'...pant and underwear have different meanings...first floor of a storey building have different meanings..there is no dustbin, nothing like booth of a car or trafficator or 'branching' somewhere; nothing like iceblock, touch light, etc..

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
They fake American accent, yet pronounce "three" as "tree". tongue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by trolling(m): 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors: Siddon there. Look, it's not a matter of fake accent o. As the OP says, our pronunciation and way of drawling when talking is terrible. For instance, a typical Nigerian doesnt know the difference in pronouncing 'cause' and 'course', 'four' and 'for', 'to' and 'two', and annoyingly, 'fate' and 'faith'. Sit down and listen to a Nigerian talking, try to see if u would understand their pronunciation of those last two words. Words like turkey, burn/born, wander/wonder, are very problemtic for Nigerians. Even Ethiopians pronounce better than we do.
So, if you are abroad, and because some uniformed persons are saying you r faking your accent, let them talk. the best way to communicate abroad (esp in the states and Canada) is to sound like them. When u are with you people, correct, pidgin dey flow soosay, but looking for a job? mingling with the whites or foreigners? Bros, adjust that your accent otherwise, you'd be an island in that land.
When i first heard my aunt speak a sentence to a white, I mocked saying why the heck was she yarning like ajebo...she nodded and said 'e nu e lo wa yen' (meaning, u'll soon understand). So forget fake accent o, na survival tactics.
Mean while, in some cases, one doesnt deliberately fake it, it comes naturally when u mingle with these foreigners..like mine. But it makes no sense to sound Americana when u arrive in Nigeria na...na quick invitation to armed robbers be that.
spot on
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Limaoscar: 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
Iv bn in d uk for sometime now,and anytime im discussing wit someone i still maintain my naija accent o! Its nt as if iv nt tried d oyibo accent stuff,but sometimes wen i try to speak like dem,e dey do me like say i dey fool myself. Lol.
Well, as long as pple undastand me wen i talk,im ok.make i no bite tongue because i wan twist am

You are Honest!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Jessdarl(f): 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
joeydozzy: The bestu acenti you can get anywiere nwanne m is the Ibo accent
Notu justi Ibo, the thicky one nu ooo

Babies and oyoyo m na adabekes all feeli lovudu by me and ha ncha orluways wanna geti down withi me wink wink
lolz....
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Man51ut(m): 9:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
drake2005:

That's another way to detect someone faking American accent. Changing the pronunciation from "water" to "wadder" doesn't make it correct either; though it might get you there 80% of the time, but it is wrong. What differentiates American pronunciation of water is they pronounce the "r". The last sound that ends the word water is "r". Try stressing the "r" and you will notice that the "t" becomes silent or sounds more like what we call "flapped t"..it sounds like a "d". So focus on the "r" and leave the "t" silent. This goes the same for words like "motor", "enter" and many others.

very interesting, did you study linguistics? just did it, and you're right!!! my flatmate used to say i said water- wahtah. but the t does become less prominent when i stress the r.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 9:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
linearity: There is nothing new here, it is one of the ways to survival in a foreign Country...some even hire Accent modification professionals to train them.

When you attend an interview, where the interviewer keeps asking you to repeat yourself; then nobody will tell you before you start modifying your speech patterns.

Most times, it will involve speaking more clearly and also more deliberate...in other cases you have to substitute new words and phrases into your linguistic...e.g. in the US they do not understand 'around about'..you have to say 'Circle'...pant and underwear have different meanings...first floor of a storey building have different meanings..there is no dustbin, nothing like booth of a car or trafficator or 'branching' somewhere; nothing like iceblock, touch light, etc..

Pants vs Trousers vs underwear...haha. First thing you learn in the US; the second "Trousers" are virtually non-exitent or used. Once had a friend who visited from Nigeria and someone complimented him that the pants he wore looked great on him. He was like, how was he able to see my pant(underwear he thought)....we laughed. Obviously pants are used here as opposed to trousers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
How come Americans don't use WA-TA as opposed to WA-THA when they come to your country. Why should we be the ones trying to change the way we speak to suit others? if you change the way you speak for whatever reason, it's called faking. I wonder if those Americans even decipher when these Nigerians try to fake their accent. I can't stand fake people especially those my Igbotic guys that mix Igbo accent and American accent. That's one of the worst combinations i hate hearing. Tufiakwa.

Here's where you F9ed it. Is english our langiage? They need not change the way they pronounce words because english is not our language. If they did the same thing to ibo yoruba or Hausa, you'd have a valid point.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
peppy luv: Moomoo cow u r not funny ok,atleast ur grandfather is chinua Achebe's mate and I bet he doesn't know any English word.or u probably older than Chimamanda but u can't stand up to her,silly!. I knw u r neither Hausa nor Yoruba but 4rm one of those minority tribes in d north with a language spoken by less than 500 pple
Dats my own headache buh fanks 4 drinkin d panadol 4 me. If u're actually more silly than I fink, kindly line up different shapes & sizes of buckets 2 KICK! angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by trolling(m): 9:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
na inferiority complex dey worry them in my naija accent
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 10:00pm On Jun 29, 2013
A-town:

Here's where you F9ed it. Is english our langiage? They need not change the way they pronounce words because english is not our language. If they did the same thing to ibo yoruba or Hausa, you'd have a valid point.
English may not be our languahe but it's our official language. It has become apart of us now. So, we have to own it alongside out native languages. There's a reason why there's American English, British English, Australian English, Portugese and Brazillian Portugese. These people speak and pronounce words based on their unique verbal idiosyncrasies. So when speaking English, we must speak it like Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by dayokanu(m): 10:02pm On Jun 29, 2013
Y'all trippin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
English may not be our languahe but it's our official language. It has become apart of us now. So, we have to own it alongside out native languages. There's a reason why there's American English, British English, Australian English, Portugese and Brazillian Portugese. These people speak and pronounce words based on their unique verbal idiosyncrasies. So when speaking English, we must speak it like Nigerians.
I get that. I am correcting your statement that americans ought to pronounce words the way we do if they come to naija. Its like telling me that if I go to Brazil or Benin republic, I would be expected to speak yoruba the way they do. Absolutely wrong.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
dayokanu: Y'all trippin

grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Afam4eva(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
A-town:

I get that. I am correcting your statement that americans ought to pronounce words the way we do if they come to naija. Its like telling me that if I go to Brazil or Benin republic, I would be expected to speak yoruba the way they do. Absolutely wrong.
You're not making sense. You said Nigerians have to pronounce English words like Americans when they travel to American. Why not vice-versa. Is English an American language?

Why would you speak Yoruba the way they do in Benin if you don't understand the way they speak it there. Why force yourself? Why not be yourself.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 10:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
drake2005:

That's another way to detect someone faking American accent. Changing the pronunciation from "water" to "wadder" doesn't make it correct either; though it might get you there 80% of the time, but it is wrong. What differentiates American pronunciation of water is they pronounce the "r". The last sound that ends the word water is "r". Try stressing the "r" and you will notice that the "t" becomes silent or sounds more like what we call "flapped t"..it sounds like a "d". So focus on the "r" and leave the "t" silent. This goes the same for words like "motor", "enter" and many others.
Yeah, but then, it is not applicable in all cases. One very important part of the pronunciation is 'stress and intonation'. Whether you stress the r or not, how u indent ur pronunciation matters a lot. You could pronounce water as water (even with the r being silent) and be understood if you use the right stress. In 'WATER', WA is high pitched and 'ter' is low. Then also, i think Nigerians dont really roll the 'r' in their words and we don't pronounce the combination of 'ur' (burn for instance), 'er', 'ere', 'air', 'ee' and 'ea' right. For instance, we say 'strit' instead of 'street', striking out one of the 'e's. Somany wrong things about pronunciation. Hopefully, a lot of Nigerians in the diaspora would benefit from this forum and become conscious of their pronunciations.
More so, some words that serve both as a noun and a verb are wrongly pronounced. 'Remix' as a noun, you stress RE and keep it low on 'mix' while as a verb, u stress MIX and keep it low on the 're'. Listen to American rappers. although some Nigerian artistes are becoming conscious of that one though...lolz

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 10:14pm On Jun 29, 2013
Man_51ut:

very interesting, did you study linguistics? just did it, and you're right!!! my flatmate used to say i said water- wahtah. but the t does become less prominent when i stress the r.

No, I didn't. Studied engineering in the US; from undergraduate to PHD level.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

13 Places With Funny Names In Nigeria. Add Yours / Port Harcourt 7pm Curfew: Residents Trapped In Traffic Gridlock: Pics & Video / Air Peace Receives Brand New Airplane From Brazil (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.