Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,163 members, 7,807,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility (6350 Views)

Kaduna Govt. To Acquire Peugeot, Targets 90,000 Cars Yearly.. / FG targets one million jobs through growth employment project / Wike Inspects Port Harcourt Refinery, Facility Starts Refining Of Crude (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Sibrah: 7:40am On Jun 26, 2013
GLOBACOM has set up a world-class Internet Data Centre in Lagos to provide co-location services, disaster recovery and dedicated hosting facilities to corporate clients in Nigeria and across West Africa.

The company has also announced plans to expand its existing data management platform by building another data centre that will be Nigeria’s Largest Iconic Data Centre, providing Tier 3 and Tier 4 enterprise data services from Abuja.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Culture and Tourism, Edem Duke, has described Globacom as the only Nigerian company that had identified with the aspiration of the ministry in the area of youth engagement and empowerment.

The new data centre will provide network-based services, applications, equipment and Cloud Services in a highly safe and secure environment with backed ups.

Globacom’s Corporate Chief Information Officer, Mr. Cesar Camara, who conducted ICT Editors round the new Lagos Internet Data Centre recently, said that most of the websites and servers of various Nigerian organisations were hosted elsewhere across the world in countries such as the United Kingdom and the United States of America due to unreliable power supply, insecurity and other challenges.

“This is why Globacom has stepped in to become one of the top players in the managed services industry across Nigeria and West Africa. We are leveraging on our existing telecoms infrastructure, Glo1 submarine cable, reliable power supply network, experienced manpower and experience in building state-of-the-art technologies for our existing voice and data telephony services,” he said.

Data Centres, especially the Tier 3 and Tier 4 categories, which provide the highest level of failure proof, redundant, secure and safe environment, fault tolerance, compartmentalisation and continuous cooling, are highly valued by most organisations because all mission-critical/real-time applications today depend on server uptimes.

“This makes our high capacity Data Centres highly sought after by all categories of businesses including Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs), Financial Institutions, Oil and Gas, Educationists, Hospitals and Telecoms Service Providers,” Camara said.

He explained that Glo’s Data Centre has achieved 99.99 per cent uptime for all its servers and systems because they are housed in a safe, fireproof and secure environment built to international standards with 24-hour power supply, Internet connectivity, data backup capacity and redundancy for all equipment.

Duke, at the weekend in Abuja at the Glo Slide & Bounce Concert said that the giant telecommunications outfit had contributed significantly to the promotion of arts and culture in the nation.

The minister who commended Globacom for its efforts at empowering the Nigerian youths, particularly the support the telecommunication outfit has given to the nation’s entertainment industry through the endorsement of artistes in the country, urged other corporate organizations to emulate Globacom.

“I am particularly happy to be here tonight and I must commend Globacom for organising this show for the entertainment of Abuja residents. By and large, Globacom has demonstrated that it is a truly indigenous company.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125495:glo-targets-corporate-clients-with-managed-data-facility&catid=55:compulife&Itemid=391
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
Are you saying in Lagos? Is Lagos State the best location with respect to disasters? Please these guys should do their survey very well if they want to be a giant providing cloud computing services.

1 Like

Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by otikpoko(m): 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
Good to hear this development.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
Glo no dey try joor......f2c

1 Like

Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by buchito1(m): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
Omo d tin about glo is dat dey are 2 stingy!
B4 glo fit give u 5 naira free call, u have 2 offer sacrifise 2 dier gods!
Bt i wud sson port 2 glo sha!
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by surveycash(m): 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
It's a good development if the tariff is reasonable.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
Why Lagos and Abuja? why not other states? This is where Dangote is far better.... He does not only think about his money, he also thinks about National development. Glo my foot... I am porting to Etisalat jor

1 Like

Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by AbuMikey(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2013
BrB ASAP
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Regiblinkz(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2013
Glo should pls increase their data bundles and BIS plans and allow subscribers tether it with their android devices
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 26, 2013
Damn...I might need to relocate to Naija o

It seems like the Datacentre is beginning to take root there...
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2013
Why is a thread about a Co-Lo in the politics section btw?
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Skywalker5(m): 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2013
Good move. I will like to see how many companies do care about their data in Nigeria and if they will want Glo to manage thier data

.:
He explained that Glo’s Data Centre has achieved 99.99 per cent uptime for all its servers and systems because they are housed in a safe, fireproof and secure environment built to international standards with 24-hour power supply, Internet connectivity, data backup capacity and redundancy for all equipment

Nothing about Physical security? 24hrs power supply. I will like to know the cost.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Soso990240(m): 12:37pm On Jun 26, 2013
Keep ur house in order 1st @MR GLO.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by stebell(m): 12:38pm On Jun 26, 2013
Mods pls move dis thread to where it belongs. I don't want to believe yu Mods are too busy to observe dis kind of thread here. Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̇̇
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 26, 2013
nothing glo does is reliable. From 4g to optic to 5k/mb all scam upon scam. I will pass

1 Like

Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 26, 2013
the MBit/sec and uptime is what counts. Really that can be achievable but in an environment like Nigeria?
everything, including cables, Servers, Aircons, etc coming into the country is of the lowest possible quality, all thanks to SON and other regulatory bodies
not to talk of Lagos being flood prone.

The cost of daily diesel usage alone will not let this compete with other nations' cost-wise.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by enobong18: 12:56pm On Jun 26, 2013
If it is coming from glo, I'm not interested!
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Sibrah: 12:59pm On Jun 26, 2013
This is a welcome developement for all small business wanting to have all their data centralized. It means small businesses like microfinance banks, chain retail stores, schools, hospitals, financial regulatory bodies, and many more don't need to have full internet connection to access their data hosted with Glo. It signifies a shorter distance to a small World Wide Web - just what small business whose targeted customers are Nigerians and west Africans under Glo's network need.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Lilimax(f): 1:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
Soso990240: Keep ur house in order 1st @MR GLO.
Do they still esist? cheesy
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Sibrah: 1:06pm On Jun 26, 2013
webdezzi: the MBit/sec and uptime is what counts. Really that can be achievable but in an environment like Nigeria?
everything, including cables, Servers, Aircons, etc coming into the country is of the lowest possible quality, all thanks to SON and other regulatory bodies
not to talk of Lagos being flood prone.

The cost of daily diesel usage alone will not let this compete with other nations' cost-wise.
the speed/uptime shouldn't be an issue here as there will be no need for the subscribers to route their traffic via a busy main one fibre optic cable. And as for Natural disaster, it is a whole different ball game to the disaster mentioned in the article. They are talking about technical error within the system leading to loss of data.
The cost of powering such project may not compete with that of other developed countries but will provide a far better option cost-wise to the "VPN via internet access" most small businesses are currently using.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Sike(m): 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2013
Glo don dey ffacck up jor. :|
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Sibrah: 1:12pm On Jun 26, 2013
stebell: Mods pls move dis thread to where it belongs. I don't want to believe yu Mods are too busy to observe dis kind of thread here. Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̇̇
I consider it good enough for politics section if Innoson, dangote refinery, or good governance threads can survive the politics section. The news contained in the thread is a big plus to Nigeria's IT developement and economic growth.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by sureteeboy(m): 2:39pm On Jun 26, 2013
Their data downloading speed is very slow here in abk. Especially on 2g phones

1 Like

Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by luluosas(m): 2:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
Good move by Glo.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by staaari: 2:50pm On Jun 26, 2013
Primary datacenter needs to be fairly close the firms the services is being provided for.

Yes, good location in Lagos should be primary datacenter. Such locations I would prefer is: Ikorodu, Ota, Lagos Island.

BCP datacenter, idealy could be anywhere in Nigeria. But for business whose core business is in South West, I will suggest somewhere in Ijebu or Abeokuta.

You need to understand quickly deployment of staff is also essential.

Nigeria being a big country should implement regional datacenters if cost and profit are justifiable.

Good moves.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 26, 2013
staaari: Primary datacenter needs to be fairly close the firms the services is being provided for.

Yes, good location in Lagos should be primary datacenter. Such locations I would prefer is: Ikorodu, Ota, Lagos Island.

BCP datacenter, idealy could be anywhere in Nigeria. But for business whose core business is in South West, I will suggest somewhere in Ijebu or Abeokuta.

You need to understand quickly deployment of staff is also essential.

Nigeria being a big country should implement regional datacenters if cost and profit are justifiable.

Good moves.

I would host all datacentres in Lagos to be honest

Are there fiber cables going up towards ogunstate?
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by Iko5000: 3:28pm On Jun 26, 2013
Good question ,was wondering myself too
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by kq(m): 3:36pm On Jun 26, 2013
jackbauersballs:

I would host all datacentres in Lagos to be honest

Are there fiber cables going up towards ogunstate?

Yes most of the telecoms firms have fibre going from their core network centers to other core centers in different parts of the country. Airtel/Zain even has a particular area in Ondo state, Idanre, because it is hilly they use fibre for txmn connections between the base stations located there. There are other fibre connection providers such as phase3 and 21st century also.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by idupaul: 4:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
All these telcos in Nigeria are not just innovative on their own accord .. All they do is mirror any service MTN is into not minding whether there is a market or not .. In the end all we have are competitors with the same products,same service , same prices which erodes any benefit the last leg consumer is to get from healthy competition .. So its Cloud service season
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by ocelot2006(m): 4:46pm On Jun 26, 2013
ledafaze: Are you saying in Lagos? Is Lagos State the best location with respect to disasters? Please these guys should do their survey very well if they want to be a giant providing cloud computing services.

Well, Lagos makes perfect sense. Keep in mind that most major corporations are based there, and the landing point for GLO1 submarine cable along with other major facilities and HQ owned by the coy are all based there.
Re: Glo Targets Corporate Clients With Managed Data Facility by rimms(m): 5:40pm On Jun 26, 2013
Is it not the same Glo that fails to get mobile phone services right in the country?

I think Glo should focus more in getting the phone service right before jumping into the ocean

This is a good example why nothing works in Nigeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tompolo Frees Kidnapped Journalists, As Itsekiris Call Jonathan A Coward / EXCLUSIVE | You Are Not The National Leader Of APC, Buhari Downgrades Tinubu / Wole Soyinka In His Radical Days As A Pyrate Don (photo)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.