Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:16 PM

Knowing You Are Forgiven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Knowing You Are Forgiven (823 Views)

How Are We Sure Our Sins Are Forgiven After Asking God For Forgiveness? / But Why Did Jesus Had To Die For Us...god Could Have Just Forgiven Us / How Will You Know Your Sins Are Forgiven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Knowing You Are Forgiven by huxley(m): 9:40pm On May 13, 2008
How does one know that ones transgressions (sins) have been forgiven by god? It is possible that one could sincerely ask for forgiveness from god and yet not be grant such forgiveness? If one is not granted the forgiveness one asked for, what are the consequences of living under the delusions that one has been fully forgiven?

Are there any sins for which there is no forgiveness granted?
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by welli(f): 10:30pm On May 13, 2008
i'm replyin in regards to ur last question.i doubt if der is any sin dat GOD do not 4give for d bible says in

1john 1 :9,if we confess our SINS,he is faithful nd just to 4give us our sins and to cleanse us frm all unrighteousness.d bible did not says if we confess some of our sins bt if we confess our sins.GOD forgives all.as long as u're truly repentant
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by huxley(m): 11:28pm On May 13, 2008
Interesting!

Take the case of Emperor Constantine, the one who made Christianity the official state religion of the Roman empire. He refused to be baptised until he was on his deathbed because he wanted the opportunity to carry on committing vile acts of savagery. In fact, not long after he called the Council of Nicea to establish doctrinal orthodoxy and resolve the Arian debate, he went home and had his wife and son killed. He was baptised on his deathbed, and within days he passed away.

So if forgiveness is open to anyone as long as there are sincere, could people like Hilter, Pol Pot and many other vile psychotic killers be forgiven if they have a sincere conversion and confession?

Would you be happy receiving such a converted and forgiven criminal into your congregation?
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Ndipe(m): 12:28am On May 14, 2008
why not@huxley? If they sincerely repent of their sins and forsake it, I am open to receiving them in my congregation. If God would be so kind to welcome me into His Kingdom due to His Infinite Grace, then who am I to discriminate?
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by huxley(m): 1:49pm On May 14, 2008
Ndipe:

why not@huxley? If they sincerely repent of their sins and forsake it, I am open to receiving them in my congregation. If God would be so kind to welcome me into His Kingdom due to His Infinite Grace, then who am I to discriminate?

This theistic notion of forgiveness is quite bizarre as it does not take into account the idea of proportionality. For instance, all sins (crimes) are treated as equals. Thus someone who steals some food to feed his family is on a par with a mass murderer. As long as they both ask for forgiveness sincerely, such forgiveness would be granted them.

I think the Catholic church has this notion of "Seven Deadly Sins" which gives the impression that these are more egregious than other sins. Is forgiveness for a Deadly Sin more difficult to obtain than for an ordinary sin?
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 14, 2008
You are making forgiveness sound as if the offender has to come to his senses first in order to be forgiven. The bible makes me understand Forgiveness is forgiving without a corresponding acknowledgement (on the offender's part) of his/her mistakes and that's where the power of Grace comes in.

I think the Catholic church has this notion of "Seven Deadly Sins" given gives the impression that these are more egregious than other sins.   Is forgiveness for a Deadly Sin more difficult to obtain than for an ordinary sin?

I don't think so. The impression I get is that the seven deadly sins are not placed in a hierachy above other sins but of which that leads to other sins as well.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Lady2(f): 6:40pm On May 14, 2008
The bible makes me understand Forgiveness is forgiving without a corresponding acknowledgement (on the offender's part) of his/her mistakes and that's where the power of Grace comes in.

Please explain the "without corresponding acknowledgement" part. I don't quite understand.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 14, 2008
Ananias and Sapphira presumed that 'God will understand and forgive' before telling the simple [white] that led to their death --- struck down by God.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 14, 2008
~Lady~:

Please explain the "without corresponding acknowledgement" part. I don't quite understand.

If the offender does not acknowledge his mistakes, we should also forgive.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by olabowale(m): 7:14pm On May 14, 2008
@~Lady~:

TheVirginShallBeWithChildAndBearASonAndShallNameHimImmanuel

It only proof that his birth was foretold along with his name. Nothing else. But it is ironic that the christians abandoned this name for a lesser impressive name, Jesus!

Why? And when you peel off the layers and get to the core of the name Immanuel, even in the Original semitic language, you will find no meaning other than its just a name. "God with us," does not mean God is the person named.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 14, 2008
Olabowale, wrong thread!!!!!!
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Lady2(f): 7:29pm On May 14, 2008
If the offender does not acknowledge his mistakes, we should also forgive.

I thought we are supposed to confess our sins.
So God forgives without us asking for forgiveness? I mean wouldn't that mean that everyone is saved? Even the Atheists and the mussslims? What are we living life to please God for? Why can't we all just do the wrong thing and he will forgive anyway, without us acknowledging and asking?

It only proof that his birth was foretold along with his name. Nothing else. But it is ironic that the christians abandoned this name for a lesser impressive name, Jesus!

What is the definition of Immanuelor Emmanuel? and What is the definition of Yahshua or Jesus? Don't forget to add the Christ at the end.

Why? And when you peel off the layers and get to the core of the name Immanuel, even in the Original semitic language, you will find no meaning other than its just a name. "God with us," does not mean God is the person named.

Oh good, you know the meaning of Immanuel, now tell me the meaning of Yahshua or Jesus.

What does "God with us" mean?

analyse it for me please: GOD WITH US.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 14, 2008
I thought we are supposed to confess our sins.
So God forgives without us asking for forgiveness? I mean wouldn't that mean that everyone is saved? Even the Atheists and the mussslims? What are we living life to please God for? Why can't we all just do the wrong thing and he will forgive anyway, without us acknowledging and asking?

I'm talking from the angle where someone hurts us, we have to learn how to forgive even if the person doesn't warrant it.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by Lady2(f): 8:00pm On May 14, 2008
I'm talking from the angle where someone hurts us, we have to learn how to forgive even if the person doesn't warrant it

The topic is about God.

and I thought humans weren't given the power to forgive.
Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by mnwankwo(m): 8:26pm On May 14, 2008
The offer of forgiveness by the laws of God is unconditional. To recieve it is however conditional and the condition is that the recipient genuinely repents of his or her sins. Therefore repentance is the only road to forgiveness. Forgiveness however does  not mean that the sinner is protected from the consequences of his deeds. Indeed he must reap what he has sown. The only difference is that if he has genuinely repented, the power of genuine repantance will interfere with the reciprocal actions emanating from his evil deals, may weaken the consequences or in exceptional cases dissolve them. Thus what may have cut off his head may just result in removing his cap. What may have resulted in a fatal motor accident may end up in a bust tyre or an unconscious action manifesting in the person helping a neighbour fix the tyre of his car. If we desire forgiveness, then we must repent but even then, the laws of God will return our activities to us to experience them and learn from them. Any person who imagines that he can go on and murder millions of people, slander their reputation etc and then by a brief prayer all the consequences of his activities are blown away is decieving himself. Indeed his personal experience in this life and the next will bring to his attention "That God is not mocked, whatever a man soweth, so shall he reap" The gift of forgiveness can not contradict the gift of justice. Although it may be mentally rewarding to believe that with the forgiveness of our sins, the consequences of those sins are also erased, the truth is that they are not until we live through them. Every person who pays attention to all that happens to him will soon notice that he still experiences the effects of his sins even if he has become a different person at the moment. That is the love and justice of God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Knowing You Are Forgiven by rabbinisha: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2014
the thing is simple .let me first ask you a question. did u ask god to forgive.then if it's yes you asked then no need to worry you r forgiven. and another you can be forgiven is wen you forgive others like those who have forsseeken you.

(1) (Reply)

Have You Been To Heaven / Why Are People So Clueless About God And The Bible? / Pro- Homosexual Programming On Rccg's Ohtv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.