Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,626 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:58 PM

$27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S (10288 Views)

Iranians Storm Nigerian Embassy In Tehran To Protest Army Attack On Shiites / Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Symphony007: 7:48am On Jun 28, 2013
The probe followed a petition over alleged misappropriation of funds by the officials of the Nigerian embassy in Washington D.C.

The Senate on Thursday began investigating the alleged disappearance of $27 million from the sale of Nigerian property in New York.

Two former Nigeria ambassadors and the incumbent appeared before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs in Abuja.

They are: George Obiozor (2004 to 2006); Joy Ogwu (2006 to 2007), and the incumbent Ade Adefuye, who assumed duty in March 2010.

The probe followed a petition by Transform Nigeria Citizen Initiative, a non-governmental organisation, over alleged misappropriation of funds by the officials of the Nigerian embassy in Washington D.C.

The petition was signed by one Daniel Elombah.

Mr. Elombah had urged the Senate to investigate why the proceeds from the sale of some Nigerian government property in the U.S. between 2004 and 2007 were not accounted for.

“Available records showed that between 2004 and 2007, the Embassy of Nigeria sold four prime properties of the Nigerian Government located in Washington D.C and Maryland,” he said.

“It also commenced sale of a fifth property located in San Francisco, California.

“For the sale of those properties, the government of Nigeria retained the services of ECULAW Law Firm. Out of those sales, Nigeria realised the sum of 27 million dollars.

“All funds realised from these sales, except those set aside as fees, were remitted to the Embassy of Nigeria in Washington D.C,” the petitioner alleged.

He alleged that all the funds and transactions were duly confirmed in June 2007 by ECULAW Law firm when it met with embassy officials at the Embassy premises in Washington D.C.

He alleged that instead of remitting the proceeds to Nigeria, the funds were lodged in a Washington bank.

“M&T Bank had been the bank the embassy used for other transactions and had about three different accounts with that bank.

“It was confirmed in clear terms that their bank was holding huge deposits comprising the proceeds of the sales of these properties.

“This remained the position after Dr George Obiozor had returned to Nigeria upon completing his service in Washington.

“However, and surprisingly, the Embassy of Nigeria left that money in Washington partly because it yielded substantial monthly interests, which the embassy officials would never have to account for,” he claimed.

The petitioner further alleged that the money in the accounts, disappeared without trace in March 2012.

“This became clear when the M&T Bank was forced to close the accounts of Nigerian Embassy and to terminate all banking relations with the embassy at the beginning of 2012,” he said.

According to him, since March 2012, no explanation had been given as to the whereabouts of funds which were in the bank accounts when the incumbent assumed office.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, Matthew Nwagwu, said the committee had received a petition alleging embezzlement of funds in Nigeria’s Embassy in Washington.

“There is a petition before the committee on the issue. We have the petition and we are taking it on the face value.

“We are giving this opportunity to the minister and ambassador to explain what happened. It is alleged that the resources were squandered by embassy officials.

“Ours is to give you a chance to address the committee, to tell us what you know about the administration and management of the fund within your tenure from 2004 till date.

Journalists were, however, ordered out of the Committee Room before the testimonies of the three envoys were taken.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/139770-senate-probes-missing-27m-embassy-funds.html

http://legisreporting.com/senate-news-senate-news-probes-missing-27million-funds-from-sale-of-foreign-mission-assets/
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by mankand(m): 8:32am On Jun 28, 2013
Too small.

Naijabi hail oh

Vessel got missing on sea
satelite got missing in orbit
Funds for security vote got missing in presidential villa
27 million usd got missing in nigerian embassy in US

Are you all not tired?

13 Likes

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by kkkp: 8:32am On Jun 28, 2013
Naija sweet o! If u get moni grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 28, 2013
Picture of the money please.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by ayox2003: 8:50am On Jun 28, 2013
We have numerous individuals that make us proud abroad but when an Embassy that represents everyone of us abroad is involved in theft/fraud, it taints our image. You don't spread ur undees "abroad"!

Some folks will definitely come to say how this doesn't affect our image. Lol.

Let's look into the mirror. If other nationalities don't have problems abroad, why us?

Frawzey

3 Likes

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by kkkp: 8:51am On Jun 28, 2013
Wot is dis one saying?
chidindufrank: Picture of the money please.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 28, 2013
Biggest lie. For American Embassy
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by omanifrank(m): 9:14am On Jun 28, 2013
as usual..na 9ja we dey
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Ezedon(m): 9:16am On Jun 28, 2013
[color=#006600][/color] Nigerians must show their identity every where they go. too bad
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by mickyarams: 9:16am On Jun 28, 2013
Na today? A whole ship got missing in Nigeria. For Naija, anything is possible.
God bless Nigeria
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 28, 2013
'Missing?'
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by freebreezeyz(m): 9:19am On Jun 28, 2013
Wonderful!!! These people would never stop amazing me! If they had at least left it in that bank for it to continue yielding interest and they ate 'only d interest' and left d cash, e for better! but siphoning ALL d cash much later unto say pple no go knw, its sad! Hw many ppl come share 27M dat is way too much for some peeps to embezzle! na waow! corruption everywhere!
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2013
I miss Fela Anikulapo Kuti.

1 Like

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2013
Does. Stealing run naturally in you nigerian people's DNA?

Its just so sad.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Xtana: 9:20am On Jun 28, 2013
Please, let's all stand up for our national anthem:

Nigeria we hail thee
Our own dear native land
Though tribe and tongue may differ
In brotherhood we stand
Nigerians all and proud to serve
Our sovereign motherland

This Nigeria will never change.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by wellmax(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2013
Charity begins at home...
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by greatestman(m): 9:24am On Jun 28, 2013
this is naija for u even in diaspora practicing corruption
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by rozayx5(m): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2013
Hmm Corruption Nigeria's biggest export OK

Thieves probing thieves, we are watching
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Walexz02(m): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2013
9ja!! I hail thee...
I wonder why it is always Nigeria when news like this pop up....
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Fantacy1(m): 9:28am On Jun 28, 2013
Wen evil re-occur unchallanged, it become a tradition. Who is questioning who? Watch my back I watch ur side as usual...d matter is already buried
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by 1shortblackboy: 9:28am On Jun 28, 2013
*singing* omo we bad o bad pass tony montana ! grin grin grin
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 28, 2013
dats why i like Nigeria. Anything can happen just like this

1 Like

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by GARRIWARLORD(m): 9:30am On Jun 28, 2013
mobuch:

Does. Stealing run naturally in you nigerian people's DNA?

Its just so sad.
I would have called you a goat but i wont..

1 Like

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by xykms101: 9:30am On Jun 28, 2013
Corruption is really our Name and foundation. Nigerians are born with corrupt minds, Grow up in corrupt environments *no security*, Mingling and Moving with corrupt people, Eating and Drinking corrupt foods *turkey,well water*, Putting on corrupt cloth *bend down select* , Driving and moving on corrupt roads, Ruling by corrupt leaders *jonathan and d likes* and Dwelling in a corrupt country *Nigeria*. Whoever that is born of Nigerian whether home or abroad is indeed a corrupt person.

2 Likes

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by aspabay(m): 9:32am On Jun 28, 2013
haha

Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by WIZGUY69(m): 9:32am On Jun 28, 2013
all wat i know is that R.I.P 27million dollar!! Or who get hope say dem go c d money back
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by 50calibre(m): 9:40am On Jun 28, 2013
Nigerians always live up to their corrupt reputation, the bank probably saw what was going on, and terminated any transactions with the embassy.

My question is, how can embassy staff be allowed to keep national funds and claim the interests on them, isn't that a crime?

This cesspool of corruption is now far-reaching, I think the culprits should be identified and repatriated back to Nigeria to give proper accountability and if possible, face punishment.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by manucho: 9:49am On Jun 28, 2013
oluface: Biggest lie. For American Embassy

read well oga ade before u post your comment..the news said Nigerian embassy in New York city not American embassy
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by joeey6(m): 9:49am On Jun 28, 2013
One person bread don receive butter be dat ooo....we naijas we some gangstas
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Touchforfree(m): 9:58am On Jun 28, 2013
DEAD ISSUE !, after ds, how many millions has gone even within the same embassy. May b the incumbent met the '' POT '' dry or the Chairman Senate Committee was not carried along. GOD HAS DONE IT DAT NIGERIA'S WEALTH GETS REPLENISHED AUTOMATICALLY. I DEY WAIT WHEN THE ''LIQUID GOLD'' WILL BE DISCOVERED UNDER MY BED.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 28, 2013
If NCIS investigate dis thin dem go catch dem.
Re: $27Million Missing In Nigerian Embassy In U.S by dridowu: 10:08am On Jun 28, 2013
$27million missing like that, d money run pas usain bolt ,nobody fit catch am. Nigeria money get canvass wey e take dy run.
So sad, lot of money just missing from Nigeria account from local gov to FG level, yet we are being told that they are fighting corruption. Sad for my country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SERAP Sues FG Over Move To Borrow ₦895 Billion From Nigerians’ Dormant Accounts / Lai Mohammed Speaks In Beijing, Says Nigerian Govt At The Mercy Of Media / Photo: See 115 Million Naira Car Kogi State Governor Is Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.