Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,449 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:39 PM

Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? (70795 Views)

5 Reasons Why Science Fiction And Religion Do Not Mix / Why Would God Fill The Oceans With Water We Can't Drink? / Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by seunayeni(m): 8:35am On Jun 28, 2013
The photograph shows that foam is formed between the two different bodies of water meeting in the middle of Alaskan Gulf. It appears as if the two oceans are colliding rather than mixing. It is said that the foam was the result of the melting glacier that is composed of fresh water. The ocean water has a higher percentage of salt. These caused the two bodies of water to have different densities. Because of the salinity and density differences, a thin wall was produced which does not allow the two different bodies of water to merge. This explains why the two different bodies of water did not mix. But given enough time, they will eventually mix together.

The said photograph was taken last year. The photographer was sitting on the deck for quite some time when he noticed something that seems to be a shadow of the clouds about five miles from the ship. As the ship approaches the shadow, he realized that it was something different. The photographer took many shots but he did not posted any of them until a year after the said image went viral....God is the greatest

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by pimplucious: 8:50am On Jun 28, 2013
Photo fuckingg shop 1st to coment btw cheesy
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 28, 2013
pimp_lucious :
you're a mo*ron........go home to mommy!

1 Like

Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 28, 2013
Nature is amazing!
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by laykhorn(m): 9:17am On Jun 28, 2013
So they do not mix due to varying desities...

If my brain serves me right, I know from Chemistry that with quite a lot of Pressure, liquids of diffrent densities would eventually mix. Examples,
Petrol and Engine Oil,
Kerosine and Water,
Petrol and even Palm oil etc would all mix-up with a lot of pressure. That reason of their no mixing property of both is Obsolete and only God know what it is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by seunayeni(m): 9:35am On Jun 28, 2013
pimp_lucious :
it isn't photoshop, its real
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by seunayeni(m): 9:40am On Jun 28, 2013
laykhorn: So they do not mix due to varying desities...

If my brain serves me right, I know from Chemistry that with quite a lot of Pressure, liquids of diffrent densities would eventually mix. Examples,
Petrol and Engine Oil,
Kerosine and Water,
Petrol and even Palm oil etc would all mix-up with a lot of pressure. That reason of their no mixing property of both is Obsolete and only God know what it is
its understandable that science tries to give explanations to occurences like this, but the truth is God pass science, have u been to ikogosi warm spring, am sure the poster who said photoshop wouldn't believe where warm and cold water meet and moreover they aren't liquid of different pressure, they are both cold ocean water...
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 28, 2013
They would eventually mix.. It myt take years or forever.. Wuld check it out in a million years tym, wuld take permission from heaven to visit the earth cheesy
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Areaboy2(m): 10:49am On Jun 28, 2013
2 mins on google and I found the explanation. When you never read or try to, you will believe everything they give you to swallow. even going as far as attributing it to what your holly books said.. seriously, are you dizzy or are you dumb?. I bet the guys that wrote the "holy" parts must have seen this sort of phenomenon occur somewhere before and they (like you just have done) attribute it to a "god"

I've taken the liberty to highlight the important bits of this article, and i hope it will enlighten you a little

A picture from the Gulf of Alaska that has been making the rounds on the Internet for the last few years -- though particularly in recent weeks -- shows a strange natural phenomenon that occurs when heavy, sediment-laden water from glacial valleys and rivers pours into the open ocean. There in the gulf, the two types of water run into each other, a light, almost electric blue merging with a darker slate-blue.

Informally dubbed “the place where two oceans meet,” the explanation for the photo is a simple one, though there are many misconceptions about it, including that catchy title. In particular on popular link-sharing website Reddit, where users have on multiple occasions erroneously attributed the photo’s location as “Where the Baltic and North Sea meet” and the two types of water as being completely incapable of ever mixing, instead perpetually butting against each other like a boundary on a map.

You also may have seen a variation on the photo featuring the same phenomenon, taken by photographer Kent Smith while on a July 2010 cruise in the Gulf of Alaska. That photo too has been circulating the web for some time, though the misconceptions about it seem to be less thanks to Smith's explanation of the photo on his Flickr page. That one has also been making the rounds on Reddit and social media for years, and had racked up more than 860,000 views by early 2013 on that one page alone, Smith said.

That original photo, however, originates from a 2007 research cruise of oceanographers studying the role that iron plays in the Gulf of Alaska, and how that iron reaches certain areas in the northern Pacific.

Ken Bruland, professor of ocean sciences at University of California-Santa Cruz, was on that cruise. In fact, he was the one who snapped the pic. He said the purpose of the cruise was to examine how huge eddies -- slow moving currents -- ranging into the hundreds of kilometers in diameter, swirl out from the Alaska coast into the Gulf of Alaska.

Those eddies often carry with them huge quantities of glacial sediment thanks to rivers like Alaska’s 286-mile-long Copper River, prized for its salmon and originating from the Copper Glacier far inland. It empties out east of Prince William Sound, carrying with it all that heavy clay and sediment. And with that sediment comes iron.

“Glacier rivers in the summertime are like buzzsaws eroding away the mountains there,” Bruland said. “In the process, they lift up all this material -- they call it glacial flour -- that can be carried out.”

Once these glacial rivers pour out into the larger body of water, they’re picked up by ocean currents, moving east to west, and begin to circulate there. This is one of the primary methods that iron -- found in the clay and sediment of the glacial runoff -- is transported to iron-deprived regions in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska.

As for that specific photo, Bruland said that it shows the plume of water pouring out from one of these sediment-rich rivers and meeting with the general ocean water. It’s also a falsehood that these two types of water don’t mix at all, he said.

“They do eventually mix, but you do come across these really strong gradients at these specific moments in time,” he said. Such borders are never static, he added, as they move around and disappear altogether, depending on the level of sediment and the whims of the water.

There is much study being conducted on how this iron influences marine productivity, in particular its effects on the growth of plankton, which Bruland referred to as “the base of the food chain.”

But rivers aren’t the only way that glacier sediment finds its way into the Gulf of Alaska -- occasionally strong winds can whip up enough silt to create a cloud of dust that’s visible even from space as its being carried out to sea.

So next time somebody shares a “really cool photo” of “the place where two oceans meet,” feel free to let them know the science behind the phenomenon. After all, in this Internet age, nothing spreads faster than misinformation.
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/mythbusting-place-where-two-oceans-meet-gulf-alaska

1 Like

Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by laykhorn(m): 10:50am On Jun 28, 2013
seunayeni: its understandable that science tries to give explanations to occurences like this, but the truth is God pass science, have u been to ikogosi warm spring, am sure the poster who said photoshop wouldn't believe where warm and cold water meet and moreover they aren't liquid of different pressure, they are both cold ocean water...
God pass man!
I've never been to Ikogosi but friend went there for easter, didnt have d chance then but maybe some other times. I've heard a lot about it
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by seunayeni(m): 11:11am On Jun 28, 2013
Area_boy: 2 mins on google and I found the explanation. When you never read or try to, you will believe everything they give you to swallow. even going as far as attributing it to what your holly books said.. seriously, are you dizzy or are you dumb?. I bet the guys that wrote the "holy" parts must have seen this sort of phenomenon occur somewhere before and they (like you just have done) attribute it to a "god"

I've taken the liberty to highlight the important bits of this article, and i hope it will enlighten you a little

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/mythbusting-place-where-two-oceans-meet-gulf-alaska
dude area boy thanks for ur 'enlightening epistle' and name calling, shows how intelligent not u are, I also read the article at google but chose to attribute it to God and not a 'god'...direct ur isaac newton prowess else where and stop calling someone u know not names

2 Likes

Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 28, 2013
seunayeni: dude area boy thanks for ur 'enlightening epistle' and name calling, shows how intelligent not u are, I also read the article at google but chose to attribute it to God and not a 'god'...direct ur isaac newton prowess else where and stop calling someone u know not names

Why can't you just accept you learnt something new and stop being an a55hole about it?
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jun 28, 2013
seunayeni: its understandable that science tries to give explanations to occurences like this, but the truth is God pass science, have u been to ikogosi warm spring, am sure the poster who said photoshop wouldn't believe where warm and cold water meet and moreover they aren't liquid of different pressure, they are both cold ocean water...
Maybe we should shut down all hospitals, close all schools, and ask 'GOD' to take care of the human race..
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 28, 2013
Area_boy: 2 mins on google and I found the explanation. When you never read or try to, you will believe everything they give you to swallow. even going as far as attributing it to what your holly books said.. seriously, are you dizzy or are you dumb?. I bet the guys that wrote the "holy" parts must have seen this sort of phenomenon occur somewhere before and they (like you just have done) attribute it to a "god"

Nice one. Hw body? Long time.
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by seunayeni(m): 11:29am On Jun 28, 2013
musKeeto:

Why can't you just accept you learnt something new and stop being an a55hole about it?
like really? U're going to run ur mouth too...its alrite then I learnt something new, if it would stop u from ranting moreover I hope u read the the article before the pictures...does that not tell u I also believed the scientific explanation of it
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Areaboy2(m): 1:26pm On Jun 28, 2013
musKeeto:

Nice one. Hw body? Long time.

I'm aite mate, How you been yourself?.. been away for a while.. Was just passing through and saw that annoying post the OP opened up. He even still has the cheek to defend the nonsense he posted. What to do? I give up oh undecided
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Areaboy2(m): 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
seunayeni: like really? U're going to run ur mouth too...its alrite then I learnt something new, if it would stop u from ranting moreover I hope u read the the article before the pictures...does that not tell u I also believed the scientific explanation of it

You cant claim to believe both the scientific explanation as well as the "god" idea when your title clearly states "where two oceans meet and do not mix". Complete misrepresentation with that title and you know it. if only you bothered to understand the link I added you wouldn't make yourself look silly
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by turnstoner(m): 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2013
Area_boy:

You cant claim to believe both the scientific explanation as well as the "god" idea when your title clearly states "where two oceans meet and do not mix". Complete misrepresentation with that title and you know it. if only you bothered to understand the link I added you wouldn't make yourself look silly

you know, that's the thing:

So many people proud of their stupidity. Always ready to wave god in your face.

.......and even when it comes to natural disasters and other misfortunes they thank god for sparing them and couldn't careless about those who were unfortunate to be in harm's way angry
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by pimplucious: 3:13pm On Jun 28, 2013
Olekumaster: you're a mo*ron........go home to mommy!

shocked shocked shocked chu! But wetin I do u now bros?
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by Areaboy2(m): 3:25pm On Jun 28, 2013
turnstoner:

you know, that's the thing:

So many people proud of their stupidity. Always ready to wave god in your face.

.......and even when it comes to natural disasters and other misfortunes they thank god for sparing them and couldn't careless about those who were unfortunate to be in harm's way angry

exactly, someone prays to god for promotion at work and when they get it they say "its the lords doing". Another helpless child in a warzone prays for food and shelter what does he get? more hunger and prolly his parents murdered and village burnt down. is that not the lords doing too?.

Religion makes me sick, and god even more so angry
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by tpiah11: 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2015
Re: Where 2 Oceans Meet And Do Not Mix, Unbelivable Right? by thejunny: 10:21am On Oct 31, 2015
Dear All brothers,
the Holy book tell us about this miracle 1400 years ago. Its a miracle of "God"
Science could not explain this phenomena.... On the other hand long ago the knowledge of science do not exist

Best Regards,

(1) (Reply)

Some Things That Attract Demons To People / Sex All Night And Then Church On Sunday Morning / Bishop Oyedepo Held A Program In Kaduna In 1994 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.