Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,995 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? (4793 Views)

Meet The Couple Who Won N1m In Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Valentine Edition / Woman Sleeping In A Cot While Baby Sleeps On The Bed! / Marriage: What Part Of The Bed Should A Man Sleep On (right Or Left) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Shakslayer: 10:29am On Jun 28, 2013
As a young man who is trying to learn the basics and nitty-gritty of marriage before I jump into that ship, I have found this forum to be immensely helpful in this regard.

As part of my vacation traveling, I went visiting my big uncle and his wife who live in Calabar, last week. While we (my uncle, his wife and kids), were in the living room watching a tv program, the housemaid was in their bedroom, cleaning and dressing the bed. I asked my uncle why is that, and he replied that there's really nothing to it.

But am not comfy with that, so am asking, should a housemaid clean the couple's bedroom and dress the bed in their absence?
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 28, 2013
watching tv program while a housemaid is inside ur bedroom?? SMH for ur uncle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by KINGwax(m): 10:44am On Jun 28, 2013
991: watching tv program while a housemaid is inside ur bedroom?? SMH for ur uncle.
u av not really said anything! If u av a point, make it known!

OP, i knw wot u may be driving at,

1. That doesn't mean they will start fuckin each other

2. But the maid can plant a drug, a charm or steal.

So, in the long run, i think it is wrong!
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 28, 2013
If you're not comfy with it, don't do it!
Your uncle seems fine with it, each to his own!

3 Likes

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by haitto99(m): 10:54am On Jun 28, 2013
ur uncle get luck say no be warri house maid,na igbe plus okere juju dem for use turn im head
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Smartiegurl(f): 10:54am On Jun 28, 2013
To me, is quite wrong for a woman to allow that in her house ......but in some cases where the woman is always busy with work and stuffs like that, permit me to say that it is a little bit understandable.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 28, 2013
KINGwax: u av not really said anything! If u av a point, make it known!
noted. i couldn't imagine the scenario thus my kind of response. If am to proffer an advice, I think it is totally wrong, people might say 'to each his/her own' but there are things you ignore that could eventually be disastrous in the near future and when that happens ppl will call it temptation and start blaming devil etc.. the op said the wife was there watching tv ? i can't imagine my wife watching tv while a maid (male or female) enters my bedroom, with my boxers, pants, wife's bra, etc unkempt in my room? not to talk of the key to my drawers where i keep important documents and cash.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Shakslayer: 11:32am On Jun 28, 2013
Smartie gurl: To me, is quite wrong for a woman to allow that in her house ......but in some cases where the woman is always busy with work and stuffs like that, permit me to say that it is a little bit understandable.

My sentiments exactly! I asked him if the maid cooks for them too, he said hell NO! So if u won't allow her cook, why let her into ur private room?
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 28, 2013
Smartie gurl: To me, is quite wrong for a woman to allow that in her house ......but in some cases where the woman is always busy with work and stuffs like that, permit me to say that it is a little bit understandable.

seemingly the woman was watching a tv program? SMH again.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Smartiegurl(f): 11:36am On Jun 28, 2013
Shakslayer:

My sentiments exactly! I asked him if the maid cooks for them too, he said hell NO! So if u won't allow her cook, why let her into ur private room?
you should have directed the question to the wife and not me!! Lol
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Smartiegurl(f): 11:37am On Jun 28, 2013
991:

seemingly the woman was watching a tv program? SMH again.
in this case, the woman is wrong and busy lazying about!!

1 Like

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Smartiegurl(f): 11:38am On Jun 28, 2013
Op, does your uncle have grown up kids?
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by modele2: 1:27pm On Jun 28, 2013
@poster so madam should dress it abi....i hope you would assist her some times..always looking for more work for the woman as if what they have on their plate is not enough.

As some people have cited. to each its own, everyones orientation and marriage blueprint is different. Besides it also depends on your living quaters e.g room and parlour e.t.c:DAnd i am most certain that unless through diabolic means that someone cleans your room dosent make the person a husband snatcher candidate

That said..I personally dont allow ANYONE into my bedroom. I clean, make bed and even do the bathroom my self, simply because i feel it is an invasion of my sanctuary, its a form of exercise and i dont think anyone can do it as well as i would. thats all.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Shakslayer: 1:33pm On Jun 28, 2013
modele2: @poster so madam should dress it abi....i hope you would assist her some times..always looking for more work for the woman as if what they have on their plate is not enough.

As some people have cited. to each its own, everyones orientation and marriage blueprint is different. Besides it also depends on your living quaters e.g room and parlour e.t.c:DAnd i am most certain that unless through diabolic means that someone cleans your room dosent make the person a husband snatcher candidate

That said..I personally dont allow ANYONE into my bedroom. I clean, make bed and even do the bathroom my self, simply because i feel it is an invasion of my sanctuary, its a form of exercise and i dont think anyone can do it as well as i would. thats all.

You sound very confused. Am sorry to say!
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by EfemenaXY: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2013
Shakslayer:
As a young man who is trying to learn the basics and nitty-gritty of marriage before I jump into that ship, I have found this forum to be immensely helpful in this regard.

As part of my vacation traveling, I went visiting my big uncle and his wife who live in Calabar, last week. While we (my uncle, his wife and kids), were in the living room watching a tv program, the housemaid was in their bedroom, cleaning and dressing the bed. I asked my uncle why is that, and he replied that there's really nothing to it.

But am not comfy with that, so am asking, should a housemaid clean the couple's bedroom and dress the bed in their absence?

Sometimes, it's best to avoid getting entangled in situations which one might find very difficult to de-tangle themselves from. I personally will not condone it because we hear stories all too often about one thing leading to another. Now what do I mean?

~ Temptation: This should be the biggest concern. A lady might say she trusts her husband whole-heartedly not to fall by the way side but are we all not human? Picture this: The maid's bent over tucking the sheets under the bed and Oga just happens to enter the room at that very moment. Assuming the girl's wearing a short dress, what the husband then sees is, smooth flawless skin, with long, long, legs going up to heaven from her behind and a supple bottom. Meanwhile, the girl hasn't heard or noticed Oga in the room who now moves silently to stand behind her, places both his hands on her rump...(get the picture now?)

He suddenly notices how much younger than wifey this girl is, how much more supple her body is, meanwhile, wifey's engrossed watching African Magic and would be none the wiser if he has a quickie with the maid. He can always say it was the work of the 'devil'.

~ Theft: There was a thread here sometime ago about a housemaid who did one over her oga stealing $100,000 in his absence. It did make for a hilarious thread back then as nearly everyone asked what a grown man with 'brains' would be thinking to have kept such a sum in his house rather than at the bank. Fine, he was at fault there, but what about madam's expensive gold, diamond-encrusted jewellery? Or even those very, very, expensive traditional beads used for native law and custom marriages? How would both parties feel if things they hold dear are stolen from their room, all because they were 'watching' TV?

Why give the opportunity to get stolen from. Even if the maid doesn't steal them at that point in time, nothing stops her from taking a mental note of how much those items are worth and where exactly they've been placed in the room. What stops her from passing this information to someone else who might arrange for armed robbers to visit them later at night? Is it really worth the risk putting your life and that of your family in danger because una dey 'watch' tv?

~ Role Model: I'm sorry to say this, but what sort of role models would these parents be demonstrating to their kids? Unless the children are toddlers and younger, I see no reason why they shouldn't be taught basic Home Management Skills like learning how to dress a bed, clean the room and wash clothes? And then you end up seeing kids that think the world owe's them everything and house helps are no better than modern day slaves.

Abeg, the entire family is at fault here. They should all get off their lazy backsides and learn to clean up after themselves, the Oga included!

Having said that, I am aware that there may be 'special' circumstances that would warrant the maid / househelp having to clean up the couple's room - moreso if the madame is indisposed. Say for example, she's recovering from a caesarean section or any other medical condition that incapacitates her. But even then, the man should get in there and clean up his mess!

Shekina, this is the 21st century!
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by tpia5: 2:22pm On Jun 28, 2013
@ topic

if it was in her job description, and she's getting paid to do it.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by nbright: 3:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
No
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by breathless(m): 3:29pm On Jun 28, 2013
I and my spouse tidy our bedroom including dressing d bed (she does most times) even wen we had a maiden a couple of years back. D only persons allowed are our undergraduate kid sisters wen dey come holidaying.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Princesszoe: 8:09pm On Jun 28, 2013
Smartie gurl: in this case, the woman is wrong and busy lazying about!!
This is the best comment so far.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Smartiegurl(f): 1:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
Shakslayer:

You sound very confused. Am sorry to say!
Exactly my thought!!
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by modele2: 2:31pm On Jun 29, 2013
Smartie gurl: Exactly my thought!!
I re read the post and saw ur point. Made me laugh. However I Just gave a thought for every side of the story. In summary to each his own.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by LewsTherin: 6:41pm On Jun 30, 2013
Shakslayer:

Big mistake dude. Big mstake.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Ngenge(m): 4:57pm On Jul 01, 2013
In my own opinion,dis scenario shuld occur if d couple ar 60yrs & above or d wife is not fit medically. U peopl ar talking about dressing nd cleaning d couple's room but I've seen worst cases wia d wife's only duty is to abuse,shout,insult,go to work,partying,brush teeth,eat nd bath. Maids sweeps all d 3 rooms & parlour[it can take u up to 2 hours or more to sweep her room and arrange it],wash her undies and clothes,wash d hubby's own,iron d undies and clothes,make d bed,cuk 4 d house,wash d kids clothes(aged 13,11 and 5 as at 2008),wash cars,mop d kitchen nd toilet,polish shoes,cut grasses around d house. These peopl ar not paid but lives wit them. I've known this lady 4 up to 13yrs now but i can tel u dat i've not seen her cuk up to 10 times. Incredible? I'm a witness.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by EfemenaXY: 5:37pm On Jul 01, 2013
Ngenge: In my own opinion,dis scenario shuld occur if d couple ar 60yrs & above or d wife is not fit medically. U peopl ar talking about dressing nd cleaning d couple's room but I've seen worst cases wia d wife's only duty is to abuse,shout,insult,go to work,partying,brush teeth,eat nd bath. Maids sweeps all d 3 rooms & parlour[it can take u up to 2 hours or more to sweep her room and arrange it],wash her undies and clothes,wash d hubby's own,iron d undies and clothes,make d bed,cuk 4 d house,wash d kids clothes(aged 13,11 and 5 as at 2008),wash cars,mop d kitchen nd toilet,polish shoes,cut grasses around d house. These peopl ar not paid but lives wit them. I've known this lady 4 up to 13yrs now but i can tel u dat i've not seen her cuk up to 10 times. Incredible? I'm a witness.

It's incredible that you expect the wife to do all of the chores you listed.

Why should she? The man nko?

Sure, shouting and raining abuses on people is wrong, so is underpaying them. But that aside, if she does go to work then cut her some slack.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Idowuogbo(f): 6:14pm On Jul 01, 2013
Helz no!
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 01, 2013
Maka y?
Even wen I go to m aunty's house I dnt sweep deir bedroom(hers nd her husband's)
Somtyms sef even b4 I wake she wuda swept d whole house,prepare bf,bathe d kids nd go back 2 her room 2 continue working frm her lappie
Chikena
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Ngenge(m): 9:20pm On Jul 01, 2013
Efemena_xy:

It's incredible that you expect the wife to do all of the chores you listed.

Why should she? The man nko?

Sure, shouting and raining abuses on people is wrong, so is underpaying them. But that aside, if she does go to work then cut her some slack.

If a lady dat is not up to 40yrs cannot wash her undies and her hubby's own cloth 4m d day she married,wen wil she do it? U rely on maids nd sista inlaws to cuk ? If she prepares breakfast,she wil be doing dat til 12pm? Anyday she washes even her undies,she wil be teling evry1 dat she has been too busy as an excuse for failing to keep up to an appointment and u ar backing her attitude?
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by EfemenaXY: 5:23am On Jul 02, 2013
Ngenge:

If a lady dat is not up to 40yrs cannot wash her undies and her hubby's own cloth 4m d day she married,wen wil she do it? U rely on maids nd sista inlaws to cuk ? If she prepares breakfast,she wil be doing dat til 12pm? Anyday she washes even her undies,she wil be teling evry1 dat she has been too busy as an excuse for failing to keep up to an appointment and u ar backing her attitude?

What makes you think I'm backing her 'attitude'?

I asked you a question: Do you expect a working woman to do all of the tasks you've just listed alone and without help?

Ngenge:
** sweeps all d 3 rooms & parlour
** wash her undies and clothes (you seem particularly interested in her undies? undecided )
** wash d hubby's own
** iron d undies and clothes
** make d bed
** cuk 4 d house
** wash d kids clothes(aged 13,11 and 5 as at 2008)
** wash cars
** mop d kitchen nd toilet
** polish shoes
** cut grasses around d house. (Really? I mean, really??)

And ontop of all that, she's expected to go out and work? Pls kindly tell me what the husband should be doing while she does all of that ALONE. Watching the latest premiership football match with an ice cold beer in his hands, while he develops a pot belly? Or even the kids? Don't you think they're old enough (now at 18, 16 and 10 years of age) to get off their backsides and get involved in looking after their home? This is basic Home Management Skills 101.

Pls get real. In this day and age, no one has to kill themselves with housework to prove a thing! If she can afford hired help, then why not? Must she bend over an iron bucket and a bar of Canoe soap to prove she knows how to wash clothes? There are such things as washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, hoovers, lawn mowers, etc that can be purchased to make light of housework. It wouldn't make her any less of a woman.

You said she works. What are her working hours like on a typical day?? I'll repeat the last sentence of my previous post...Cut her some slack! No one was born to be a slave donkey to another all for the sake of marriage.

3 Likes

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 02, 2013
Efemena_xy:

What makes you think I'm backing her 'attitude'?

I asked you a question: Do you expect a working woman to do all of the tasks you've just listed alone and without help?

And ontop of all that, she's expected to go out and work? Pls kindly tell me what the husband should be doing while she does all of that ALONE. Watching the latest premiership football match with an ice cold beer in his hands, while he develops a pot belly? Or even the kids? Don't you think they're old enough (now at 18, 16 and 10 years of age) to get off their backsides and get involved in looking after their home? This is basic Home Management Skills 101.

Pls get real. In this day and age, no one has to kill themselves with housework to prove a thing! If she can afford hired help, then why not? Must she bend over an iron bucket and a bar of Canoe soap to prove she knows how to wash clothes? There are such things as washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryers, hoovers, lawn mowers, etc that can be purchased to make light of housework. It wouldn't make her any less of a woman.

You said she works. What are her working hours like on a typical day?? I'll repeat the last sentence of my previous post...Cut her some slack! No one was born to be a slave donkey to another all for the sake of marriage.

Ah Efe, you have stayed abroad for too long. U need to visit Nigeria more often. grin Most Nigerian wives are expected to do the above listed chores with little or no help whether or not you are a full time workers with 8-6pm jobs, else, u will be seen as lazy.

Some years ago, househelps were trending, but these days, people are wary of hiring them for security reasons, so the wife is stuck with those chores and even more with little or no help from hubby. Did I hear u say "dish washers, washing machine, lawn mowers"? How many families can afford these in Nigeria?

All hubby does is wake up in the morning, take his bath, eat his BF, grab his lunch already packed in a lunch box by wifey and off to work. Comes back, take dinner, watch CNN and goes to bed by 10pm while wifey is saddled with running of the home

My dear, that is the story of many Nigerian wives.
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by EfemenaXY: 10:35am On Jul 02, 2013
bettymafy:

Ah Efe, you have stayed abroad for too long. U need to visit Nigeria more often. grin Most Nigerian wives are expected to do the above listed chores with little or no help whether or not you are a full time workers with 8-6pm jobs, else, u will be seen as lazy.

Some years ago, househelps were trending, but these days, people are wary of hiring them for security reasons, so the wife is stuck with those chores and even more with little or no help from hubby. Did I hear u say "dish washers, washing machine, lawn mowers"? How many families can afford these in Nigeria?

All hubby does is wake up in the morning, take his bath, eat his BF, grab his lunch already packed in a lunch box by wifey and off to work. Comes back, take dinner, watch CNN and goes to bed by 10pm while wifey is saddled with running of the home

My dear, that is the story of many Nigerian wives.

My dear, I hear what you say but that doesn't make it right though. It's still very wrong.

But the sort of man you've just described there, na old school type na! Abi? I thought the new generation pride themselves on being 'trendy' and getting 'it on'? Any woman who does what you've just described above is only spoiling her man and making things more difficult for herself in the long run, especially if she doesn't train her kids to take up some responsibilities, irrespective of their gender. There are women over here in their 50's and 60's who still clean up over their grown up sons. I even heard of a story recently...the lady's son in his mid 30's still lives with her. When he gets home, he throws his stuff around the house (scatter-scatter) and doesn't even know where the kitchen is. The poor woman still bends down to pick and clean up after him, cook, wash his clothes, etc. It's heartbreaking I tell you. When is she ever going to sit back and get some well deserved rest?

See, my teenage sons are about those ages described by @OP, and they're well versed with cleaning the home (not just after themselves), looking after the baby (as per feeding and changing her nappies when soiled) and COOKING. Yes cooking.And I mean proper African stuff: Jollof rice, yam and pepper soup, eba, stew, beans and the normal breakfast stuff. They're so good at it even my own siblings didn't believe till they saw for themselves. Only thing left now is for me to teach them how to cook Ogbolo, Egusi and Banga soup (which I'll do as soon as they're on holidays) - then they're sorted! From year 4 (Primary 4), they even learnt how to iron their uniforms and clothes!

Over here, how many people can afford to take on househelps? Very few. So the situation isn't much different. Anyway, that aside, I won't even advice these women to start nagging their husbands to help out because if they've been living like that for years, their husbands won't be too keen to change things. What I would suggest is that rather than cause strife, just get your kids to do it.

Look eh, I always look forward to weekends because I get to put my feet up and just relax jare. My kids do majority of the work. They practically run the home. This is my way of helping them live independent lives in future without having to rely on a girlfriend to cook, clean, and wash for them. They do that all by themselves and quite well too. Biko, I'm so proud of them jare.

3 Likes

Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Ngenge(m): 10:57am On Jul 02, 2013
Bettymafy and Efemena_xy,thank u 4 ur contributions. D kids dat i mentioned b4 ar 18,16 and 9yrs/9months nw nd they ar all boys. D clothes of d last two boys ar stil being washed nd ironed by maids. D first boy knw hw to cuk noodles nd hot water. I knw dat its not expected of d lady to do all d house chores listed above but Y is she afraid,sceptical nd shy of cuking 4 d family? I'VE LIVED WIT THEM FOR 4YRS and oda times i visits nd go but she have not cooked up to 10 times in 13 yrs in her matrimonial home. Initially,she does nt work but now,an accountant in a hospital. Works 4m 8am to 4pm monday to saturday. Her case worse i beg
Re: Should A Housemaid Clean The Couple's Bedroom And Dress The Bed? by Ngenge(m): 11:02am On Jul 02, 2013
Ngenge: Bettymafy and Efemena_xy,thank u 4 ur contributions. D kids dat i mentioned b4 ar 18,16 and 9yrs/9months nw nd they ar all boys. D clothes of d last two boys ar stil being washed nd ironed by maids. D first boy knw hw to cuk noodles nd hot water. I knw dat its not expected of d lady to do all d house chores listed above but Y is she afraid,sceptical nd shy of cuking 4 d family? I'VE LIVED WIT THEM FOR 4YRS and oda times i visits nd go but she have not cooked up to 10 times in 13 yrs in her matrimonial home. Initially,she does nt work but now,an accountant in a hospital. Works 4m 8am to 4pm monday to FRIDAY. Her case worse i beg

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Secrets Of A Successful Marriage | Dr. (mrs) Becky Eneche / Why Does Women Do Put To Birth At Night. / Advantages Of Marrying Woman With AS Genotype If You Are AA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.