Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun (4870 Views)

67 Lessons I Have Learned In Almost 3 Years Of Blogging. / Popular Ogbonge Blog Crisis: Lessons For Bloggers / Elvis Chidera - The 14-Year-Old Nigerian Programmer Is 100% Legit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
Elvis, i dont want u to reach certain age before u start programming. Keep up the good work. But sorry, u cant help ur age for now. U are still too young to look for investors. The summly guy, ar u aware that the money was not given to him, but to his parents. Why. He`s stil not of age. Although he`s 17. So go back to ur parents, church, uncle, or teacher at school and explain things to them. They will trust u than people u meet online.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
Your age matters a lot. There are security and money risks you cannot bear now. There are some things you should not be proposing. Just imagine you asking investors to invest 250,000 Naira into your business. What do u understand by investors? People that dash people money? You must carry your parents along for now. You are a juvenile. If they pay your school fees now that means they really love you. Submit to them. You are not submissive. Go to your church and meet the youth leader. Go to your school and explain things to the school Guidance and Counsellor.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Elvisten10(m): 9:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Elvis, i dont want u to reach certain age before u start programming. Keep up the good work. But sorry, u cant help ur age for now. U are still too young to look for investors. The summly guy, ar u aware that the money was not given to him, but to his parents. Why. He`s stil not of age. Although he`s 17. So go back to ur parents, church, uncle, or teacher at school and explain things to them. They will trust u than people u meet online.
i meant, his start up was was invested in when he was 15 years. Are u aware of that ?
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
Did he went about Forums on the Internet asking for investors
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Elvisten10(m): 9:40pm On Jun 29, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Did he went about Forums on the Internet asking for investors
he went around begging for popularity then. There was this tech blog that made him cry by putting his app in the worse app of the week category.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by teemy(m): 10:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
SLY, can I safely say it is okay to help him out at this stage? @elvis remember after the guts money and glory seem to mean nothing, it is the relationships that remain. forgive those you felt have misused you or you just might repeat their mistakes.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by funkymedina: 10:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
In my opinion anyone who directly hands this boy cash is destroying him not helping him. His eye don open too much, he wants to sell sell sell. they called you from SA offering you laptop he was negotiating price for his app. He may be 14 but needs serious guidiance ...a strong hand to keep him in check. If he has out grown his parents maybe a mentor can help him ..Goodluck young man ..i guess by now you have your laptop.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
funky medina: In my opinion anyone who directly hands this boy cash is destroying him not helping him. His eye don open too much, he wants to sell sell sell. they called you from SA offering you laptop he was negotiating price for his app. He may be 14 but needs serious guidiance ...a strong hand to keep him in check. If he has out grown his parents maybe a mentor can help him ..Goodluck young man ..i guess by now you have your laptop.

Nigerian Mentality...

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by funkymedina: 10:48pm On Jun 29, 2013
Judinho59:

Nigerian Mentality...
go to school and leave the internet alone. Do you know what non-nigerian mentality is like? Is "guardian" an ibo , hausa or youruba word? Is mentor a nigerian word? I know common sense is not commmon just go away , you and your friend.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 29, 2013
All you guys are grown up man, you don't need to fight over a 14years old boy thread. where were you @ age 14?

if you think he is begging for money, he has learn his lessons

Abeg anyone that want to help should please do if not back-off.

4 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
funky medina:
go to school and leave the internet alone. Do you know what non-nigerian mentality is like?

Am Certain you know of none..

Whether he gets a pc or not doesn't add 1 second to your life span.. Case's Closed!!! angry

ActiveMan: if you think he is begging for money, he has learn his lessons

Abeg anyone that want to help should please do if not back-off.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by spikesC(m): 11:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
Instead of apologising, these 2 peeps are here giving excuses for their fck ups.
What does he know about investing? Atleast he knows j2me, he knows he needs a laptop and he sure knows what investing means.

This is not Nigerian mentality, this is plain Sadism. I can't really believe programmers can also be sadists sad

I wish i get time, i for give una replies per post et per person.....nonsense angry
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by akintayo1(m): 12:14am On Jun 30, 2013
Elvisten10: @graphicsplus, i don't still understand your aim. But it looks like we have met somewhere and we fought probably you hated me for this. But why this age issue, you just want me to reach an old age before i can start doing programming ?. I hope you remember summly, the app yahoo bought for $30 million. Am into programming. I have downloaded some ebooks and bookmarked many sites that i would read and practice most of them are on algorithms including taocp this coming holiday. This would make me run to my sss1 notes, ss2 and ss3 text books and also do some research on google(thats talking about maths and some other science subject). Can you tell me how that affects my studies and besides i share my time, programming to me is my play, my tv my free time and more. It has neva affected me and it would never do. Atleast my big head can carry them all. (Looking at this, you loved it that i was refered to as a scammer, and you still want it to happen). You were one of the big people i do look up to before in the webmasters section but alot has changed now. Its nice knowing you.

NairaLanders, are we sure this guy is 14? Am smelling something very different here o!
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by remmyz(m): 1:35am On Jun 30, 2013
how I wish he his based in Lagos.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by moderatorr: 6:39am On Jun 30, 2013
i have known elvis for more than 2 years online and he has been 14 since then.

his profile picture of van persie hasnt changed.
and his grip of english language is just too high, even for a teenager.

yes he knows j2me and a bit of php.

my 1st question was if he makes 6k per month from the app, why do you want to sell it for 30k?

his stories arent straight, but i've known an online character called elvis for about 2 years now , and 2 years ago he tried to prove to me he was 14 years old.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Elvisten10(m): 6:56am On Jun 30, 2013
moderatorr: i have known elvis for more than 2 years online and he has been 14 since then.

his profile picture of van persie hasnt changed.
and his grip of english language is just too high, even for a teenager.

yes he knows j2me and a bit of php.

my 1st question was if he makes 6k per month from the app, why do you want to sell it for 30k?

his stories arent straight, but i've known an online character called elvis for about 2 years now , and 2 years ago he tried to prove to me he was 14 years old.
please i need evidence of that. I was 12 last 2 years. Please i need the evidence. And also i said i make 2k-6k a month. Just like on december and january i made more than that.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by redcliff: 7:56am On Jun 30, 2013
I strongly agree with people on this thread who are of the school of thought that Elvis is still quite young and is not handling the financial challenges he is facing with hiS programming skills properly. Firstly, I think you need to work more on developing yourself and coming up with ground breaking innovations that the world would probably need in 5 years time and also get someone who is much older, in the same field and knowlegdeable but not necessarily about what you do and who you can trust with whatever and also this person should have your best interest and should be the person who would stands in for you in terms of talking with prospectives about your future and your skills. Its not a bad idea to want to make it reaLly fat in and quick considering your age but you must understand that you are just 14years old and no matter how smart you think you are, you are still a kid and grown ups would take advantage of that and always try to cheat you. Your parents are the best option in this strata.

I srtongly advice you to get somebody older who would be your face to the world until you are of age, this would go a long way in helping you focus and be a better person.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by startup: 8:53am On Jun 30, 2013
WildChild00: I have been following dis case since yesterday night, until someone said he wants to investigate and come back and make a proper report, and the thread was locked by the mod, pending wen proper prove comes in today.

You have spoken well and a good findings so far, but my question is what type of laptop does Elvis want?
Any sir.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by startup: 9:00am On Jun 30, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

I understand. If that is the case in his own situation, then he should keep calm and finish college and reach about 18 years. Age of vote. He`s still a juvenile. He can still become whatever he wants to be, even against his parents wish, but he shouldn`t jump this stage in his life. My dad wanted me to be a laywer, and my younger one an Engineer. I agreed and reached of age and told him no. I went on to study a course where my passion lies.
Thats disobedient and lies, a person like you with good character shouldn't have done that, you see w.... I told my father i would study computer science. End of case.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by startup: 9:08am On Jun 30, 2013
remmyz: how I wish he his based in Lagos.
why sir ?.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Elvisten10(m): 9:20am On Jun 30, 2013
redcliff: I strongly agree with people on this thread who are of the school of thought that Elvis is still quite young and is not handling the financial challenges he is facing with hiS programming skills properly. Firstly, I think you need to work more on developing yourself and coming up with ground breaking innovations that the world would probably need in 5 years time and also get someone who is much older, in the same field and knowlegdeable but not necessarily about what you do and who you can trust with whatever and also this person should have your best interest and should be the person who would stands in for you in terms of talking with prospectives about your future and your skills. Its not a bad idea to want to make it reaLly fat in and quick considering your age but you must understand that you are just 14years old and no matter how smart you think you are, you are still a kid and grown ups would take advantage of that and always try to cheat you. Your parents are the best option in this strata.

I srtongly advice you to get somebody older who would be your face to the world until you are of age, this would go a long way in helping you focus and be a better person.

muchas gracias (thank you very much in spainish). Nice
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:40am On Jun 30, 2013
Redcliff, thank you for your matured understanding.

I do not think anybody here is against Elvis been a programmer at a tender age. Nobody is jealous of him. What I believe sensible people here are telling him is to consider his age. At 14, it is absolutely wrong for Elvis to come to NL and be looking for investors. There are 101 ways he can seek exposure and financial assistance.

1. His family. Let's argue till eternity, Elvis must carry his family along. I have been a youth leader and counsellor for years and I am old enough to know the type of person Elvis is. Elvis has no regard for his family. He has grown wings. The programming brouhaha has entered his head. He now talks and associates with big boys. And so, his family is not important to him again. Elvis, i advice you again to go back to your parents and explain to them that you have made them proud by developing an app at the age of 14. Tell them what an app means. Tell them about your future with this app and your programming skill. Ask them that you will focus all the more in your studies, but that you need a small cheap laptop that will enable you expand more on what you have built. Explain to them that the path you are going will later make them proud. Your parents are certainly wise. They will reason with you and buy the laptop for you or approach someone who will do that for you. I know parents and dear caring heart. My dad bought our first black and white television because of me. How? I was always going to the neighbour's house to watch it and sometimes I will stay there till late. Then, he asked me if I want him to buy a tv, I said yes and he bought the tv for us. Go and speak to your parents. You are missing a very crucial stage in your life. Stop begging for sympathy here. Stop listening to some guys here who may not have any regard for the bond of family.

2. Your Church. Do you attend church regularly? Are you a member of the youth or teenage ministry in your church? Go to your pastor and speak to him about the sms app you have developed. Show him a demo. Explain things to him. Tel him that you need a laptop of 30k to help you develop the app further. Explain to him that the app will not distract you from your studies. Tell him that you need his prayers and blessings. Look, that pastor will raise offering for you in the church. If he wants to discourage you, start crying. You are still a kid, so crying will not be out of place. Tel him to reason with you and help you. If your pastor is too busy and the church is too big that having access to the pastor is somehow difficult, approach the Sunday school teacher of the church. Approach the youth leader. Approach the house fellowship leader.

3. Your school. Your school will be proud to be in the news for producing the Mark Zukerberg of Nigeria. Go to your Guidance and Counsellor. They are trained to counsel students and listen to them. I can't forget the impact the Guidance and counsellor of my college made in my life. Tell him about the app. Show him a demo. Plead with him to give you an exposure. Ask him to take you to the Principal. Ask them to invest into your life by buying you a laptop. Your principal is not foolish. He listens to news. He knows about the Summly guy. He will listen to you.

4. Write a letter to the PTA chairman of your school. Go to his house and explain things to him. Ask him to be an instrument of change in your life. Go to his house with your parents. Let them beg him to bring up your case in the next meeting.

5. Write a letter and send to the Village chairman of your community. Write a letter to the Igwe of your community. Write a letter to the Undergraduate Students Association of your community. Write a letter to the Councillor representing your community. Ask a matured youth in your church or the youth leader to accompany you to any of these NGOs.

Elvis, you are still young and there are lots of opportunity ahead of you. However, it's only you that has power to jeopardize your future. Don't allow what you have seen on the Internet to deceive you. Never think the world is at your feet. Never jump the basics. There are things if you miss now, they will come back to haunt you.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by goldenval(m): 4:02pm On Jun 30, 2013
Hi Elvis, even though this is my first time knowing you as a 14years old programmer in Nigeria and believe me, if you were in the developed countries like USA, I'm sure people will invest in you to bring out your talent.

It is only in Nigeria that people will brag about being young or senseless.

Now, my question to you is this, what kind of help or support do you really need most right now?... I'm willing to support you. After I hear from you here, I will give you my contact details to contact me, so that we can proceed from there.

Thanks and good luck with your dreams.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by redcliff: 4:14pm On Jun 30, 2013
remmyz: how I wish he his based in Lagos.

Sorry, he 'his' not based in lagos
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by elvis10ten(m): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2013
goldenval: Hi Elvis, even though this is my first time knowing you as a 14years old programmer in Nigeria and believe me, if you were in the developed countries like USA, I'm sure people will invest in you to bring out your talent.

It is only in Nigeria that people will brag about being young or senseless.

Now, my question to you is this, what kind of help or support do you really need most right now?... I'm willing to support you. After I hear from you here, I will give you my contact details to contact me, so that we can proceed from there.

Thanks and good luck with your dreams.
i need financial assistance or a freelance job.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by goldenval(m): 5:25pm On Jun 30, 2013
elvis10ten: i need financial assistance or a freelance job.

Someone said you needed Laptop, do you need financial assistance to purchase a laptop or financial assistance to pursuit your dream as a developer?.... If you need a freelancer job, I've one but I need to make sure you will handle the task very well. I will introduce you to my partners. Please email me to bigmoneywebs at g mail com so that we will continue from there.

Thanks
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Ajibel(m): 5:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
Hmm, i dnt like where dis is heading
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by funkymedina: 5:42pm On Jun 30, 2013
all you people can do is delete posts on nairaland . the very rude boy if he is not carefull will learn a very bitter lesson when he googles himself. today is sunday i will pity him ..
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by elvis10ten(m): 6:20pm On Jun 30, 2013
goldenval:

Someone said you needed Laptop, do you need financial assistance to purchase a laptop or financial assistance to pursuit your dream as a developer?.... If you need a freelancer job, I've one but I need to make sure you will handle the task very well. I will introduce you to my partners. Please email me to bigmoneywebs at g mail com so that we will continue from there.

Thanks
yes, i need the financial assistance to get a laptop. And if possible i would use it to get stuffs i need like hosting, domain, etc. I will email you asap.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by goldenval(m): 6:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
elvis10ten: yes, i need the financial assistance to get a laptop. And if possible i would use it to get stuffs i need like hosting, domain, etc. I will email you asap.

Alright, I will be looking forward for your email.

Thanks
Val
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 30, 2013
Mods, Close the Thread.
Re: Lessons I Learned From Elvis Scam Saga And My Suggestion To Seun by Elxandre(m): 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
elvis if you really are 14 you must be the really smart kid type.

The african mentality doesnt believe much in young people being enterpreneurs. many Africans are predominantly bitter people who would instead see your dream die than helping you out . So i wouldnt be suprised if most people out here keep slamming you, telling you to focus on your grades and all that. The basic fact is many intelligent people can actually combine school and stuff like programming except they choose to drop out on their own accord (mack).
The only thing ignorant people keep saying is "focus on getting a good grade and a'cheap' white collar job later".
But when a western 17 Yr old high school kid sells an app for $30m to yahoo it hits the frontpage! with everybody hailing him as a genius

well i'd advice you to be carefull anyway just as some guy said earlier because a lot of dubious people (ritualists et al) waiting to take advantage of people are online. So putting yourself all out on the internet is a really dangerous act for a 14 yr old (i hope you really are anyways).

*Help elvis if you want to and dont ruin him psychologically with degrading words and ideology*

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4)

5 Web Design Blunders Of Small Businesses / What Is The Difference Between Blogger Platform And Wordpress Platform / Top 25 Most Visited Sites In Nigeria, November 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.