Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve (2283 Views)

Sylva Mocks Oshiomhole: What You Can’t Achieve, A Military Man Did / 7 Interesting Ways Nigerians Celebrate Independence Day / Konduga: N A Should Not Celebrate, But Be More Vigilant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by anonimi: 6:32pm On May 14, 2008
‘You over-celebrate, But Under-Achieve’
The New Republic By Tunji Bello,Email:tunjibello@thisdayonline.com

I was going through some of my random jottings of encounters with remarkable people when I came across this quotation “You people over celebrate, but under achieve”. It is from my encounter with an Hong Kong based Chinese business executive who once worked in Nigeria. It was during a British Airways flight from London to Houston, Texas, last year August. For the first one hour of the flight, the man was busy working away on his laptop, while I got myself engrossed in a book. It was a book on “South Korea, decades after General Park”. I guess it was the cover of the book that attracted him, when he said to me “You do business in South Korea? To which I said no, that I was only reading for knowledge sake. My answer would later trigger a discussion on Asian, and later Nigerian and African politics for the next two hours. I was willing to learn more about Asia from him being a native.
However, I had initially teased him that the Asian miracle happened because the Western powers led by the United States were afraid of Soviet Union and China influences in the region in the period between 1970s and 1980s, so they had to pump investments there and create prosperity as a buffer against the communist threats and by also supporting pro-Western reformist-dictators. While he didn’t entirely disagree with my view, he believed that the successes of Asian countries had more to do with their traditional values more than any other thing. In his opinion, it was the foundation without which nothing could be built. According to him, they took to western approach to development without allowing it to enslave them as they never forgot who they were Asian values, he remarked, are anchored on discipline, hardwork, painstaking, thrift and sense of community. Those elements to him were never compromised. He said Africa can always borrow from Europe and Asia, but it must never compromise its traditional values. The difference between the Asian man and African man in his own view is in the area of physical and mental discipline as we have similar cultural orientation.
The problem of Africa by his own analysis, has nothing to do with knowledge but is due to lack of physical and mental discipline. So what did he mean by lack of physical and mental discipline?
He explained lack of physical discipline in terms of “greed” Too much pleasure for less work” “glory seeking without honour” “power without responsibility” “self over community.” And as for the mental discipline, he meant a lack of conviction. Inability to stick to an idea or belief, reckless paradigm shift, and our leaders’ inability to govern by noble values was how he explained it. Throughout our initial discussion, he never asked of my identity. It was when the discussion got to Africa that he wanted to know if I was from there to which I said yes, and a Nigerian. Mentioning the name Nigeria jolted him. So you are from Nigeria, I once worked and did business there and have also gone to school with Nigerians, he claimed.
He appeared to be more familiar with Akwa Ibom and Cross Rivers axis more because he was involved in importation of timbers, wood and teak from the area in the 1990s. “What a very rich part of your country” he said. This would later opened up another discussion of his sojourn in Nigeria.
His first encounter with a Nigerian was at Imperial College in London where he studied engineering. He said he saw Nigerians as some of the most brilliant people on earth and that there was one “Olu” in his class who was the overall best student at his graduation and who works with a corporation in Japan, as they have since remained best of friends. It was the image of “Olu” that he saw in every Nigerian until he got involved in business with Nigeria years later.
Unfortunately, he became disappointed seeing how rich the country was with so much resources even more than china and yet not making good use of them. He was really amazed by the richness of Cross Rivers forest from which several industries could have emerged; yet we allow others to exploit and cart away that richness without adding value. And of course he was one of those exploiters and like he confessed, his business was out-manouvred by other smart competitors with the collusion of government officials, hence had to seek other sources in places like Garbon and Congo.
His comment about his encounters with most Nigerian workers when he had dealings with them through his local company then made me to conclude that those encounters were responsible for his theory of “lack of physical and mental discipline”. “You people,” he said to me, “over celebrate and under-achieve”. “It is pleasure and enjoyment all the time. There is always something to celebrate everyday of the week where so much money is always wasted, to paraphrase him. I then asked him what he meant. He said, his local company in Calabar was fond of getting request from workers for loan to solve one family problem or the other. He recounted a particular experience, where one of the workers had applied for a small loan to do the naming ceremony of his third child. That when the company refused, he had to mobilise his Nigerian supervisor to come and beg on his behalf because he doesn’t want his wife family members to put him to shame that he had no money to name his child. He said at other times, people asked for loan to either bury a relation or for one ceremony or the other. He felt that, if they were more sensible and inventive, they could borrow, put that borrowed funds together amongst at least four people and start a small wood fabrication business with the skills some of them had acquired working for them as raw materials would be cheaper to get, but that they were contented with little money they were being paid. This is how Asian entrepreneurship developed, he advised. He also had something to say of some of his Nigerian directors, then whom he had followed to collect chieftaincy titles in some parts of Nigeria for which he could not remember. The worrisome part of the celebration is that the roads leading to those places are usually untarred, no water and most times you see these hungry looking or half-fed villagers in tattered clothes all looking, some cheering, some curious at the event social but with no hope of a better future. For him, he wondered for what purpose the eminent sons were being honoured when there are poverty and underdevelopment everywhere.
As I glanced through the jottings, that particular word “You people over-celebrate, but underachieve” sent me on a reflection. The Chinese might have interpreted Nigeria from a narrow prism, but there was some home truth in his conclusion. He was probably talking about 15 years ago, but what has really changed since then from our attitude to life, conduct and way of life. Don’t we really over celebrate and underachieve? I believe it is one honest truth we must face. You only need to take a look at Nigerian newspapers daily to see an avalanche of birthday, burial, chieftaincy or Iwuye ceremonies, awards both genuine and fake, notices of celebrations. When you see some of them particularly the awards or honourary degree conferments, you wonder on what basis?; particularly for some people who had helped to plunder the country.
Part of our over celebration is usually manifested through conspicuous consumption, gaudy exhibitionism, shameless display of opulence through reckless and unproductive competition amongst the super-rich “My party or daughter’s wedding celebration was grander than yours” “I hired an aircraft to ferry my guests” “More important people were at my chieftaincy party than his” in a country synonymous with squalour and developmental failures.
Our underachievement confronts us daily, when we craze for latest designer shirts, wrist watches, shoes, automobiles, furniture, mobile phones, computers from abroad but; cannot copy Europe by having designer roads, electricity and water supply, agricultural farms, government and business services. That underachievement is also manifested, when we build mansions in villages where there is no access to portable water or in cities where the roads leading to them are drain less, untarred and gully infested. Or when we live in super rich areas where we are only concerned about our inner opulence, but can’t clean the drains or prevent shanties from developing around us. Or when we make so much but don’t want to give little as tax. Then you then wonder as Thomas Jefferson, one of American’s founding father once remarked: “What is in individual glory, when his community is in peril”.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=111339

Exageration or true observation.
If true what can we do to reverse the unfortunate trend?
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Jamco45: 12:20am On May 15, 2008
Chei honest truth. We need to help ourselves and start changing our way of thinking. I had an argument with my cousins recently when we calculated what they spent on their father's 20TH death anniversary about 5 millers and two of the siblings are unemployed and the remaining five are not particularly rich anyway. As individual we need to increase our physical and mental discipline. Another thing about most of us is that no body want to learn from others everyone believe they know it all and I see that a lot on this forum. As for me i have started changing gradually pls help yourself to.

1 Like

Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by naijaway(m): 5:19am On May 15, 2008
this is an honest truth on the pysche of nigerians; If u look closely, there are too many ezes,emirs and obas for that little country and also many people will either work less via 419 or work without innovative minds. All to show off for whomever.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by RichyBlacK(m): 5:43am On May 15, 2008
Very true indeed.

See the weddings in Nigeria. Absolutely rubbish! They spend till they're broke just for a wedding. Truly, we over-celebrate, but under-achieve.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by DisGuy: 6:09am On May 15, 2008
He said, his local company in Calabar was fond of getting request from workers for loan to solve one family problem or the other. He recounted a particular experience, where one of the workers had applied for a small loan to do the naming ceremony of his third child. That when the company refused, he had to mobilise his Nigerian supervisor to come and beg on his behalf because he doesn’t want his wife family members to put him to shame that he had no money to name his child. He said at other times, people asked for loan to either bury a relation or for one ceremony or the other. He felt that, if they were more sensible and inventive, they could borrow, put that borrowed funds together amongst at least four people and start a small wood fabrication

true
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by bigben3: 6:45am On May 15, 2008
anonimi:

“What is in individual glory, when his community is in peril” vanity upon vanity all is vanity.

If true what can we do to reverse the unfortunate trend? we surely need a fresh reawakening,a new orientation[/b]
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Nobody: 9:13am On May 15, 2008
That Article was a master piece, copied it to my library
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by naijaway(m): 9:34pm On May 15, 2008
This is really an eagle's eye of the nation. I had to re-read the article one more time and eventhough they are many other problems that lacked in this article like NEPA, unemployment, sanitation, medicals, honesty, law and order, and other infrastructural issues; I was really impressed/ashamed at his knowledge of our nation. This article should be heeded because ignorance is really 60% of nigeria's problems. And I really like that phrase- over-celebrate, but under-achieve. Very scary indeed and no assured/insured change in sight yet. Hmmm,
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by tpia: 12:22am On May 16, 2008
@ topic:

true.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Nobody: 12:47am On May 16, 2008
So true.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Leps05(m): 1:09am On May 16, 2008
Thanks for this great post. We have great minds in Nigeria
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by adconline(m): 7:17am On May 16, 2008
well said. too over satisfied with little progress. It really sterns from a country where there is no benchmark for comparison. If we want to look up to a political icon; who would that be? Chris Uba, Obasanjo,Adedibu, Tinubu, IBB,Peter Odili, Orji Kalu, Atiku, Abacha. In business who is our role model, Dangote, Dantata, Adenuga, Iwuanyanwu etc. Measure of good highway, Asaba Benin highway, measure of a big city with master plan, Lagos or Abuja. measure of good election ; all political parties rigged, but PDP out rigged them, measure of justice; even though Yar'dua did not win the elections, Atiku is a thief, Chris Okotie is a pastor, Pat Utomi is too bookish, so Yar'dua should be accepted with all his flaws. Naija way has reduced everything to the lowest standard.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by abdurrazaq(m): 10:05am On May 16, 2008
It is painful that people that are not part of us even know us better than some of us. This is just a bit of truth from what the mentality of an average Nigerian is. We waste a lot of money on celebration that does not make sense. We deceive ourselves with what are not by any standard achievement.
It is almost a year since the new administration step into office, nothing meaningful has been done except for fruitless probing of past office holders. Our electric supply is becoming worse everyday, security is not guaranteed, yet we celebrate these leaders that are bunch of liars.

It is true that we are what the Asian man called us.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Eziachi: 5:41pm On May 16, 2008
This is the truth everbody knew, that Nigerians celebrate more than they achieve. A governor will spend 1 million to construct a 3rd class road but will spend 10 millon to commission it with all sorts of dance groups and carnival events.

People will sell even their future to celebrate the burial of a dead person that died of poverty, they will borrow with heavy interest just to show off. When my father died and I came back for his burial along with my siblings, what everybody saw in us was a meal ticket. They all washed their bellies ready to party and when not much was coming forth as was expected, some conspired that our dad will not buried until this much is paid for one reason or the other and how many cows they wanted slaughtered. I then went inside and came out with a digger and shovel and told them that if they decide not to bury their son, then will do it ourselves.

They thundered about what our father will do to us if we dare and I wasn't having it and I told them that I loved my father till the end but I don't fear a dead person who has not got even an atom of power over the living and I don't believe in after life and since they believed so, it is them that should watch their back. And everything went smoothly without the expected carnival. The best thing you can do for a dead person is to bury him/her. If Nigerians can adopt a simplistic lifestyle, just maybe, we will have less stealing in govt, armed robbery, unnecessary land disputes, election winning by all cost, few chiefs with long chains of meaningless titles, ritual killings, prostitution and human trafficking.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by anonimi: 3:53pm On May 17, 2008
Eziachi:

When my father died and I came back for his burial along with my siblings, what everybody saw in us was a meal ticket. They all washed their bellies ready to party and when not much was coming forth as was expected, some conspired that our dad will not buried until this much is paid for one reason or the other and how many cows they wanted slaughtered. I then went inside and came out with a digger and shovel and told them that if they decide not to bury their son, then will do it ourselves.

They thundered about what our father will do to us if we dare and I wasn't having it and I told them that I loved my father till the end but I don't fear a dead person who has not got even an atom of power over the living and I don't believe in after life and since they believed so, it is them that should watch their back. And everything went smoothly without the expected carnival. The best thing you can do for a dead person is to bury him/her. If Nigerians can adopt a simplistic lifestyle, just maybe, we will have less stealing in govt, armed robbery, unnecessary land disputes, election winning by all cost, few chiefs with long chains of meaningless titles, ritual killings, prostitution and human trafficking.

May Almighty God in His infinite wisdom bless you abundantly for your exemplary experience. I hope it will be a testimony to others who have burials, naming, wedding etc to do.
Stopping the waste and making a positive change starts with each one of us, not some stranger or Rawlings.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by 4Play(m): 5:11pm On May 17, 2008
This is simplistic pap.The problem with Nigeria cannot be broken down into mere "over-celebration". The least developed part of the country is the Hausa-Fulani North,don't tell me they are prone to over-celebration.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by ifyalways(f): 5:37pm On May 17, 2008
4 Play:

This is simplistic pap.The problem with Nigeria cannot be broken down into mere "over-celebration". The least developed part of the country is the Hausa-Fulani North,don't tell me they are prone to over-celebration.
hmmmmn,okwu !
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Arielle: 11:10pm On May 17, 2008
With due respect, 4Play, simplistic it may be, but it is an apt observation. Over-celebration is a reflection of our mind-set in this part of the world. I've always wondered why we, the poorest people in the world, have the most extravagant and ostentatious customs and traditions. What is the need for 2 full-blown marriage ceremonies - traditional and white? What sense does it make spending millions to bury someone who, all too often, needed that money to survive. And these are just obvious examples. I went to an American friend's Mother's funeral in the US, and neighbours brought most of the food that was used to entertain guests who came to the house from the cemetery. Who says simplicity and modesty are not part of the African culture?
And our 'I got mine' mentality will be our undoing. Its all very well to sneer at the West for portraying themselves as saviours of poor Africans who can't help themselves but can we? How many rich Nigerians support any charity or community initiative? And I'm not talking about PR events for political expediency. Mr Money-Bags will drive through the dark, dirty and pot-hole riddled streets of Lagos (V/I and Ikoyi included ), in his luxury car, and scurry into his generator-powered mansion. Who cares, let the riff-raff take care of themselves.
It hurts more when a foreigner points out our short comings, but it doesn't take away from the truth. We, as a people need to re-think our priorities and our values. Our leaders are only part of the problem.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by folem: 8:09am On May 18, 2008
True.

Over-celebrating winning Schoolboy's (U-17) FIFA World Cup as if it was the real thing or Lagos Governor also over-celebrating a school kid who participated in a debate in the British Parliament but fraudulently proclaiming he won the debate and going on to award gifts and scholarships.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=117850.msg2044146#msg2044146
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by tpia: 9:27pm On May 18, 2008
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-135026.0.html

I don't know why this so-called culture of ours has become synonymous with disorderliness and resistance to change. Yet these are the same people who will be shouting Obama for president.

If folks in the US had the same closeminded attitude, will Obama even get an education talkless become Senator or run for president. undecided
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by naijaking1: 1:25am On May 19, 2008
Excellent article, but wait until somebody shows up to complaint about Nigerians overseas always disrespecting Nigeria.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by adconline(m): 7:07am On May 19, 2008
governors and senators celebrating with Jayz and co in Nigeria
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Frizy(m): 7:57am On May 19, 2008
From the Ko'ran- God says: Think not that those love to be seen of men and who love to be praised of what they have not done, think not, theirs is an awful doom.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by sbucareer(f): 7:13am On May 20, 2008

Nigerian seek wisdom than wealth for wisdom brings glory. The fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by chidichris(m): 9:38am On May 20, 2008
a white truth but i have to add here that govt is not helping matters too.
asian countries for instance, there is steady power supply that any amount can afford you a company.
there are credit facilities both at high and low places which makes it easier for beginers to start.
what is our govt doing here? they have convienced everybody that the only way to make it is to be in govt. this is why doctors, lawyers, engineers and other proffessionals have today left their proffession to go after oplitics and the truth is that the game is paying and encourages intending and sudden politicians.
in nigeria, to open common barbing salon, u need a generator unline in other areas where a mirror and clippers starts a barbing saloon for u.
govt shld change the orientation and the nigerians that i know will do better than most other countries of the world.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by dudubobo1: 10:20am On May 20, 2008
well said. too over satisfied with little progress. It really sterns from a country where there is no benchmark for comparison. If we want to look up to a political icon; who would that be? Chris Uba, Obasanjo,Adedibu, Tinubu, IBB,Peter Odili, Orji Kalu, Atiku, Abacha. In business who is our role model, Dangote, Dantata, Adenuga, Iwuanyanwu etc. Measure of good highway, Asaba Benin highway, measure of a big city with master plan, Lagos or Abuja. measure of good election ; all political parties rigged, but PDP out rigged them, measure of justice; even though Yar'dua did not win the elections, Atiku is a thief, Chris Okotie is a pastor, Pat Utomi is too bookish, so Yar'dua should be accepted with all his flaws. Naija way has reduced everything to the lowest standard.

True.

We have no appreciable standards at all. Any small thing makes us feel good; it shows that we are great under-achievers and we are happy in our under-achiever status.
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by Pain(m): 9:35am On Dec 15, 2013
Front Page Material..but I guess a lot of us are intellectually lazy..So it has been relegated beneath the sands of Nairaland time
Re: Over-celebrate, But Under-achieve by bloggernaija: 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2013
Omoluabis always on point.

The fact is
I cannot stand a typical nigerian.
The writer said which should borrow the good thing and discard the bad.
We should tailor those things with our own values.
As a yorubaman.
The values are so straight forward.

community
Charity
Conservation.

Community-contentment
Hard working
Respect
Diligence
Honesty
Truth
And more

Charity -remember the needy and less well off

Conservation-the environment
Leave something for the next generation .

It is worthy to note that that a people who never knew door -locks are literally under siege in their own homes.

(1) (Reply)

Otedola's National Life Interview / Buhari ,buharism, And Buharinomics Part4: Those Who Know His Method Speak / “why We Did Not Kill Obasanjo” – Boko Haram Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.