Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,565 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains (5064 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Wike Begins Demolition Of Structures On Waterways(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by olokfor: 7:38am On Jun 30, 2013
The Lagos State Government has disclosed plans to demolish structures built on the natural wetlands and flood plains across the state.

Speaking while monitoring the monthly sanitation exercise in Ketu, Tunji Bello, the Commissioner for Environment, decried the rate at which buildings were being built illegally on wetlands and flood plains in the state.

According to him, those structures constituted a barrier to the free flow of rain, and could result in flooding.
NEMA has warned repeatedly that seasonal floods in Lagos in 2013 will be worse than before.

“There are many natural wetlands in the state that people have erected structures on.Certain places where buildings should not stand, like flood plains, some people have erected structures there,” the commissioner said.

“A lot of demolition will have to take place in those areas. Wetlands are natural drains, so when people build on them, they are courting disasters and obstructing the course of nature.

“There is no way such can continue in Lagos.A lot of buildings will go. These illegal structures will be pulled down.”
Bello, who also condemned the indiscriminate disposal of refuse in drainages, said that the Ministry of Physical Planning had been properly informed of the developments and would take necessary action.

“Less than three months ago, we dredged this canal and now the whole thing is blocked with plastic bottles and other wastes,” he pointed out in Ketu.

“What it means is that as long as we continue to dredge it, you will continue to block it. This is not good. It amounts to a waste of resources and threatens the environment.”

The commissioner advised residents to avoidactions that could negatively impact the environment and thus affect them.

SOURCE- www.metronaija.com/lagos-state-government-to-demolish-structures-on-flood-plains/

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 11:44am On Jun 30, 2013
kissnice move mr.commissioner...moreover, Rome wasn't built in a day... Eko wil be another mega city to be in yr 2020,mayb by then it wil be referred to as.. .Federal Rupublic of Eko.. BTW..I'm the FTC...my first time since 2006 i joined nairaland...Shadin tearz of joy.. My shout out=I wanna use this opportunity to tank Seun,all the moderators here..my fans,my mum nd dad,my family,my gf,my homeboy johnbosco a.k.a Otanma,and finaly God 4 makin 2day memorable 4 me... And Happi bday to all the celebrants in the huz i love u all...lolx

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by sylve11: 11:46am On Jun 30, 2013
He who ears let him hear. cool
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Cocodiva: 11:46am On Jun 30, 2013
A welcome development.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by omodapson(m): 11:49am On Jun 30, 2013
Supported! Time to rid the country of illegal structures that could cause environmental damage/hazard.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by remmer56(m): 11:50am On Jun 30, 2013
It is no news people build on wetlands.. truth be told, it comes back at us later on!
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by momodub: 11:51am On Jun 30, 2013
omodapson: Supported! Time to rid the country of illegal structures that could cause environmental damage/hazard.
Gbam supported

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by ebamma3: 11:51am On Jun 30, 2013
Coco diva: A welcome development.
because its not going to affect u abi?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by coputa(m): 11:52am On Jun 30, 2013
This should not be a grand plan to destroy igbo owned structures/houses...it should be monitred and done with all sincerity..

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by nerodenero: 11:53am On Jun 30, 2013
This is long overdue.This is a step in the right direction but too bad many will be rendered homeless.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Ajibel(m): 11:56am On Jun 30, 2013
The big challenge here is that people move into Lagos in droves and that has led to illegal settlement springing up. Its left for the govt to tackle drainage and housing problems simultaneously so that those affected can have better accomodation.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:57am On Jun 30, 2013
They are illegal structures. They should be removed.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by nerodenero: 11:58am On Jun 30, 2013
coputa: This should not be a grand plan to destroy igbo owned structures/houses...it should be monitred and done with all sincerity..
Adding 'Igbo' to your post makes me feel you are tribalistic but correct me if I'm wrong.We have many tribes living in Lagos and everybody will be affected.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by AZeD1(m): 11:58am On Jun 30, 2013
coputa: This should not be a grand plan to destroy igbo owned structures/houses...it should be monitred and done with all sincerity..
Please apologize to who ever wasted his/her time educating you and refund all fees paid with interest.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by slimfit1(m): 12:00pm On Jun 30, 2013
Well done Mr Bello
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by JENMAUCY(f): 12:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
Re they sleepin while those stuctures r being erected? I thought there are people who are responsible for dat? Y leave it til now? Anyway , i hope those affected shuld be compensated n given time 2 relocate

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Capnd143(m): 12:01pm On Jun 30, 2013
what ever happened to eko ille?
anyway, this is fantastic, i think the team governing lagos would do excellently well in governing Nigeria, irrespective of tribe and political party, lagos is moving in the right direction, i dnt see why fashola shouldnt be the presidential candidate for ACN

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by coputa(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
I mentioned igbo not because i was tribal,but out of the fact that most of fashola's policies are targeted at them....continue,we are watching.....eko ni baje

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Ajibel(m): 12:17pm On Jun 30, 2013
coputa: I mentioned igbo not because i was tribal,but out of the fact that most of fashola's policies are targeted at them....continue,we are watching.....eko ni baje

Many apologies for the insalt but u are just so dumb with this statement. You berra modify ur post. angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Forzap: 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2013
Hehehe...OGA fash doing wat he knws hw 2 do best(demolish structures)O BAJE TI
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by COMPAQ(m): 12:25pm On Jun 30, 2013
For me, one are where the Lagos State government has not done enough is in the area of urban planning and opening up of new layouts for people to buy land and build. If people could be guaranteed of safe govt land to buy, why would anyone buy and build on flood plains? It's because people are under pressure to build there own houses in the absence of credible, reliable information of which land is available and which is off limits.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by AbuMikey(m): 1:17pm On Jun 30, 2013
Let's just hope it is done in the Best Possible Manner!
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by sucessful1: 1:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
How and who decide flood plain?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by oboy3(m): 2:39pm On Jun 30, 2013
eko ooni baje
obaje tii
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by wirinet(m): 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
Then Lagos should be prepared to destroy all the properties from lekki phase 1 all the way to epe, including shoprite, oniru estate, elf estate, chevron area, jakande estate, vgc, etc. Added to that is all the areas along ikorodu road from Ajegunle to maijidun. What of isheri north and oworoshoki, in fact most parts of lagos can be classified as flood plains.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by bobthebuilder99(m): 3:10pm On Jun 30, 2013
Ajibel:

Many apologies for the insalt but u are just so dumb with this statement. You berra modify ur post. angry

You can always count on paranoid and arrogant Igbos to think everything is about them.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by kelvincoll(m): 3:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
Nice development,

However the commisioner should take a step forward in cautioning those local authories, rurals head and Omo onile's who collect monies from unsuspecting individuals and allocate landspace in these areas. Not after them don chop the money finish dem go come dey speak grammar in the name of demolision.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by whitecat007: 3:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
I knew I will hear your cry for some reasons. If they are built on wetlands they are fair game! you are not going to blackmail lagos and you will not be treated with kid gloves either, just obey the law and everything gonna be alright.

Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by whitecat007: 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2013
They should not be given a dime. In fact they should be thrown in jail for breaking the law and causing the state money for demolition. Must they all live in Lagos? Your business in Lagos should be able to provide you a decent home to live in and not over stretch Lagos resources.

JENMAUCY: Re they sleepin while those stuctures r being erected? I thought there are people who are responsible for dat? Y leave it til now? Anyway , i hope those affected shuld be compensated n given time 2 relocate
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by whitecat007: 3:49pm On Jun 30, 2013
BULL SHIT!!!!!

COMPAQ: For me, one are where the Lagos State government has not done enough is in the area of urban planning and opening up of new layouts for people to buy land and build. If people could be guaranteed of safe govt land to buy, why would anyone buy and build on flood plains? It's because people are under pressure to build there own houses in the absence of credible, reliable information of which land is available and which is off limits.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by whitecat007: 3:51pm On Jun 30, 2013
Your Aworawo father

sucessful1: How and who decide flood plain?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Structures On Flood Plains by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 30, 2013
Not much houses are built on drainage channels, so fashola shouldn't come here with cockk & bull story as an excuse.

Areas like surulere & co were well planned are are still being flooded. You guys need to check the canal/drainage at ojuelegba road. . . its not been cleared in ages & thats the major problem in Lagos. Canals & Large Drainages are not cleared periodically & its the duty of the govt to do so period!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benin Republic / Breaking News..... Buhari Gives Portfolios To Ministers / Why Anambra State Is Sustainable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.