Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,994 members, 7,803,303 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Thread For Muslim Reverts - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Thread For Muslim Reverts (1324 Views)

Six Ramadan Tips For New Muslims/Reverts / What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 9:53pm On Jun 30, 2013
Over the past few months, we have had a number of converts coming here for assistance. Betathings suggested this a while back.

Today we had another convert seeking help.

This thread is aimed at supporting reverts and muslims rediscovering the religion.

Anyone with a useful post should post it here.

The mods should help keep away the trolls.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by maclatunji: 10:13pm On Jun 30, 2013
^A nice concept. Report all trolls and we will handle them Insha Allah

1 Like

Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 5:16am On Jul 01, 2013
Lesson 1.

You do NOT have to change your name

You do NOT have to adopt another culture

(You do NOT have to be anyone but yourself)

You do NOT have to break ties with family and friends

You do NOT have to become a fluent Arabic speaker

You do NOT have to learn everything overnight

(You do NOT have to be perfect)

7 Likes

Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 01, 2013
Good job.

Subscribing.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 01, 2013
Asalamu alaykum Brother Tbaba,Thanks for the info,Alhamdullilahi for my family have been supportive though initially were not happy,because i myself took Islam very seriously,so they had no choice than to support me,but for some people its not the case,its more troublesome for them,particularly if they parents and all other family members are always against Islam as a whole,always fighting Allah and insulting the messenger,and making life unbearable for the new muslim in their midst?What do you suggest people in such situation can do?Do you believe ties can be broken in Islam and supported by verses of the Quran?i dnt know of any hadith supporting it,but Allah says clearly.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 9:38pm On Jul 02, 2013
uplawal: Asalamu alaykum Brother Tbaba,Thanks for the info,Alhamdullilahi for my family have been supportive though initially were not happy,because i myself took Islam very seriously,so they had no choice than to support me,but for some people its not the case,its more troublesome for them,particularly if they parents and all other family members are always against Islam as a whole,always fighting Allah and insulting the messenger,and making life unbearable for the new muslim in their midst?What do you suggest people in such situation can do?Do you believe ties can be broken in Islam and supported by verses of the Quran?i dnt know of any hadith supporting it,but Allah says clearly.

It is very important that we have the correct context of that ayah in surah tawbah, uplawal.

The default position is that one has complete regard and respect for his parents, even if they dislike Islam. You must continue to show them regard and respect, you can not give up on them and must have patience.

Noah (AS) had a son who disbelieved for 950 years and it was only when the verdict of Allah telling him that the son was not part of the family that he gave up on him.

Ibrahim 's(AS) father died a Mushrik (idolater). After his father died, He continued praying for him until Allah told him not to do.

In Surah tawbah, the instruction was given to the muslims to cut ties after giving dawah (invitation) and the parents continuous hatred and opposition to Islam to the point of wanting to kill the messenger (peace and blessing be upon him) It is a very specific ayah and must be understood in the correct context. All through the seerah, these family relations were maintained. It was a test of loyalty for the companions. Surah tawbah is specifically one of punishment for the Meccans and must be understood in that way so that the ayat are looked at in the proper contexts.

Most of us do not face the kind of opposition to the message of Islam like the companions of the messenger. There is similar ayah in surah al mujadila about this.

You do not get to decide to cut off relationships, those verdicts come from Allah.

WE are NOT allowed to cut ties, we have to try our best to be patient and be the best to them and pray that Allah changes their hearts.

We can reduce our visitations if it is too hard to deal with but we still have to be the absolute best to them.

14 We have commanded people to be good to their parents: their mothers carried them, with strain upon strain, and it takes two years to wean them. Give thanks to Me and to your parents– all will return to Me.

15 If they strive to make you associate with Me anything about which you have no knowledge, then do not obey them. Yet keep their company in this life according to what is right, and follow the path of those who turn to Me. You will all return to Me in the end, and I will tell you everything that you have done. (Surah 31:14-15)

Allahu Alim

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2013
How To Make Wudu

1. Make niyyah(intention) to perform Wudu..(in your mind)

2. Say the following (silently, in your head, not out loud when in the bathroom):

Bismillah "In the name of Allah,".

3. Wash your hands. Use your left hand to wash your right hand (3 times). After that, using your right hand, wash your left hand. (3 times).

4. Wash your whole mouth & upper part of throat Do this thoroughly to get all the remaining food in your
out. (3 times).

5. Inhale (or "throw"wink water into your nose. After which you will blow the water out. (3 times).

6. Wash your face completely by spreading your hands from your right ear to the left, and from the edge of the hair to the chin. (3 times).

7. Wash your lower arms from wrists to elbows,leave no part dry Wash your right arm with your left hand (3 times) and then wash your left arm with your right hand (3 times)

8. Wipe your head. Using your wet hands, just gently wipe your head from front to back and back to front (once).

9. Wipe your ears inside and out by putting finger in all crevices of ear and thumb behind it, wiping down. (once).

10. Wash each of your feet. Do so up to the ankles (3 times)and be sure water goes between the toes.

11. Recite the following:

Ash-hadu allaa ilaaha illallaahu wahdahuu laa shariikalah, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhuu wa rasuuluh

"I bear witness that there is no God but Allah alone, without any partner, and I bear witness that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is his servant and messenger."

Edited from wikihow.com
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 9:43pm On Jul 02, 2013
How to pray

1- Takbir:

Takbir is entering into the state of prayer by glorifying God. We face towards Makkah and make the intention to pray. To begin the act of prayer, we say 'Allahu Akbar' meaning God is great, raising the hands to the ears or shoulder

2- Qiyaam:

Place your right hand over your left on your chest or right under the navel while in the standing position. Read this short duaa:

Arabic: Subhana Kal-lah hum-ma wabi hamdika wata-bara kasmuka wata'ala jad-duka wala ilaha ghyruka.

Translation: Glory be to you, O Allah, and all praises are due unto you, and blessed is your name and high is your majesty and none is worthy of worship but you.

Then recite Surah Al Fatiha, which is the first chapter in the Qur'an. Verses from any another chapter are then recited.

3- Ruku:

Ruku means bowing. During ruku, say 'glory be to God, the Most Great', (Subhanallahi Al Adheem),three times.

During prayer, do not fidget or look around. You must pray as though you are in the presence of God/Allah, and therefore must be in a state of concentration.

4- Brief qiyaam:

While moving into the upright position, recite:Sameea Allahu Liman Hamidah: ('God/Allah listens to the one who praises Him) , and while in the standing position, Rabana Wa Laka Al Hamd:To God belongs all praise' then is recited. 'Allah Akbar: God is Great' is recited again. Hands are loosely at the sides this time.

While you do each movement always recite: Allah Akbar 'God is Great'.

5- Sujud:

Sujud means to prostrate. While in the prostration position recite: Subhana Rabi Al Aala: 'Glory be to God, the Most High' three times. Palms, knees, toes, forehead and nose must be the only body parts touching the ground.

6- Brief sitting:

Allah Akbar:'God is Great' is recited while moving to the sitting position. Recite: Rabi Ighfer Li: My Lord forgive me) three times.

The Prophet, peace be upon him, recommended that each movement must last at least the time that it takes for the bones to settle. He compared some people's ruku' and sujud to the way that a crow pecks on the ground, because of the speed at which they perform it. (Ibn Khuzaymah)

7- Sujud again:

Recite the same.

8- To continue the prayer from the sujud position, say: Allah Akbar: 'God is Great' and stand up to repeat everything from Surah Al Fatiha, until you reach this sujud again.

9-Tashahhud:

After the second raka, after the second sujud, After saying: Allah Akbar: God is Great,return to the sitting position, then recite:

Tashahud: At-tahiy-yatu lil-lahi was sala-watu wat-tay yibatu As-salamu 'alayka ay-yuhan-nabiy-yu wa rahma tullahi wa bara-katuhu As-salamu 'alayna wa'ala 'ibadil-la his-sali-heen Ash hadu al-la ilaha il-lal lahu wa ash hadu an-na Muhammadan 'ab-duhu wa rasuluh.

Translation:

All compliments, all physical prayer, and all monitary worship are for Allah. Peace be upon you, Oh Prophet, and Allah's mercy and blesings. Peace be on us and on all righteous slaves of Allah. I bear witness that no one is worthy of worship except Allah And I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger

Listen here: http://www.islamcan.com/salat/duas/tashahud.ram

If you are offering 3 Rakath of salah (as in Maghrib), then after Tashahud in second Rakath, you say Alla-hu Akbar and stand up. Then you recite Tasmiah, Fatiha and other supplications. Note that a surah after Fatiha is only recited in the first two rakaths. Carry on till second Sajdah in the normal manner and sit for second Tashahud in the third Rakath. After that, you are to recite the following three supplications and finish the prayer. If you are offering 4 Rakath of salah, then don't sit for Tashahud in the third Rakath. Simply stand up after second Sajdah in the third rakath by saying Alla-hu Akbar. Carry on till second sajdah and sit for Tashahud in the fourth Rakath. After Tashahud, recite Salat Alan-Nabi (Darud) - Salutation to the Prophet:

Allah humma sal-li 'ala Muhammadin wa 'ala ali Muhammadin, Kama sal-layta 'ala Ibraheema Wa'ala ali Ibraheema innaka Hameedum Majeed

Allah humma barik 'ala Muhammadin wa 'ala ali Muhammadin, Kama barakta 'ala Ibraheema Wa 'ala ali Ibraheema innaka Hameedum Majeed.

Listen here: http://www.islamcan.com/salat/duas/salat-alan-nabi-darud.ram

Translation:

Oh Allah, send grace and honour on Muhammad and On the family and true followers of Muhammad just as you sent Grace and Honour on Ibrahim and on the family and true followers of Ibrahim Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great.

Oh Allah, send your blessing on Muhammad and the true followers of Muhammad, just as you sent blessings on Ibrahim and his true followers Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great.

10- Peace to the right:

To end the prayer, first turn their face to the right saying: As-salamu 'alaykum wa rah-matul lah

'Peace be upon you, and the mercy and blessings of Allah.'

11- Peace to the left: As-salamu 'alaykum wa rah-matul lah

'Peace be upon you, and the mercy and blessings of Allah' is repeated turning to the left side now.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by maclatunji: 6:44am On Jul 03, 2013
^Nice work, you could update more often.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by snubish: 10:27am On Jul 03, 2013
thoughtful thread. wallahi, I feel for the nigerian Muslim revert. no support system in place, and the whole experience is more isolating. thank God for the internet. anyway, even 'born' Muslims have no support here, not to talk of reverts. as u may have observed the nigerian Muslim is likely to convert to Christianity. Allahu alam.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by snubish: 10:41am On Jul 03, 2013
btw, reverts of all nationalities are welcome to share their experiences, hopes and fears here. inshallahu u will find at least a listening ear.
i should add that reverts should take things in stride, and not allow the emotions of discovering the plain truth of Islam to overwhelm them into taking hasty decisions they may later regret. you have rights towards your family and society. Islam is a journey of a lifetime, and there would be a lot of learning to do. may God have mercy on us all. salam.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by tbaba1234: 12:01am On Jul 04, 2013
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by mclaaro(f): 3:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thks on this.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2013
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
wa aleykum salaam, wa Rahmatullah. may Allah make it easy for you, dear brother leo. Allah is Absolutely Powerful. I admire those who left their former ways to something new because they are convinced that somehow it is better. i appreciate them especially when they are the 'loner' because they have to deal with all kind of trials within their environment while avoiding all that they used to do.

like dr. brown said, the thing his father missed so much upon his reversion is the homemade beer the dr. used to brew. imagine such a nothing from all the son had to offer his father? i remembered a man relating his difficulties upon entering Islam. with all of the financial hardship, couples with losing a good mother in law and his wife in less than 6 months apart, he said he never felt more at peace in all his life.

Alhamdulillah Islam is making in road, as long people can hear it. it is also unfortunate that many within Islam do not allow the communication/dialogue to be easy. we pray that all of the trial becomes easy for you and each muslim going through difficulty. Amin.

ramadhan karim InshaAllah, to everyone.
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by Maisuya1: 9:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
Wa alaikum bro Leo, I was reading a verse in sura rum (Romans) that Christian and Jews who believe in Muhammad saw (ie are Muslims) will get their rewards doubled (this is a special offer to only reverts I think)
Another verse in sura furqan talks about those who have erred in the past but have repented will have all their wrongs converted to good rewards (now that's a special offer)
So best wishes on ur new path
Re: Thread For Muslim Reverts by missbola1(f): 1:23pm On Jul 09, 2013
Salaam alaykum to everyone on this thread. To LeoChinedu, I love your courage and may Allah make is easy for u till the end, amin.

Very funny, the video tbaba post at the top was the one i was watching on youtube b4 i came here.

I'm not a total revert to islam cos i was born muslim but going to church and NOW practising muslim with meaning and faith, Alhamdulillah. I've been a practice muslim for 3 years now, and my faith and fear of ALLAH still growing. I love Islam and i trully belive is the only way out to Paradise.

My advise to New Practising Muslims:
1. Please Please do research on the internet, youtube, watch Islam/Peace TV on channel 820 if u live the the UK.
2. Pleae go out to Islamic shops and buy books to read apart from QURAN.
3. Avoid watching any movies rated 15&above. U need to reduce listening to music from 100% to 5% at least. Just islamic songs for now.
4. Dress modest and cover heads for women.

In my experience, u need to understand what islam is b4 u practise, this will lead to being mature and stronger muslim without the fuss. knowledge is power and power is ALLAH, so know that when u do research yourself, u learn better and focus. Insha ALLAH, this make sense. SALAM EVERYONE.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Rebuttal Of CAN President’s Claims by NSCIA / Last Sermon Of Prophet Mohammed (s.a.w) / How Muslims Avoid Hell(smh)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.