Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban (5345 Views)

Married Woman Threatens To Sue Edo State Government Over Loss Of / Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 / Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by homesteady(m): 2:37am On Jul 02, 2013
Commercial motorcycle operations, commonly called Okada in Edo State, have dragged the state government before a Federal High Court sitting in Benin City, challenging the recent ban on their operations by the state government.

It will be recalled that the Okada operators were recently banned from operating in three local government areas in Benin metropolis.

They are contending in the suit that the ban constituted a violation of their rights to fair hearing and freedom of movement as guaranteed by the Constitution of Nigeria as amended and Articles 7 and 12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.

The Okada operators in the suit by their counsel, Mr Dele Igbinedion, described the ban on their operations by the state government as unconstitutional and illegal.

Plaintiff, Mr. Charles James on behalf of himself and others is contending that the governor does not have powers to verbally ban Nigerians from using their validly licensed motorcycles; neither can he make laws nor abrogate existing Road Traffic Laws.

In a 24-paragraph affidavit, he averred that Governor Adams Oshiomhole’s verbal ban impliedly cancels his licences, all duly obtained and still valid, adding that the duty of the governor, “is to execute laws validly made by the state House of Assembly,” insisting that the threat to confiscate and destroy his Okada with valid registration number QC 093 GBZ, was ultra vires.

The applicant is therefore, praying the court to perpetually restrain the respondents by themselves, agents, servants or privies, howsoever, from carrying out the orders of the governor in the affected local government areas.

He also want the court to set aside Oshiomhole’s verbal ban on the use of motorcycles from plying all roads in the three affected councils, which took effect from Sunday, June 16, 2013 and N50million as damages against the respondents as general and or exemplary damages/compensation for the breach of his fundamental rights.

Source - www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/okada-riders-sue-edo-govt-over-ban/

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by bellaberry: 3:12am On Jul 02, 2013
It's quite sad that these guys have lost their source of livelihood, but truth be told, they should move on (perhaps to Keke business)rather than engage the govt in a long drawn battle. It wouldn't yield any results in the end.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by okosodo: 5:06am On Jul 02, 2013
Make dem go siddon
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by AbuMikey(m): 8:24am On Jul 02, 2013
As expected!!!!
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by homesteady(m): 8:27am On Jul 02, 2013
#yawns!! I already know who will win the case!!
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 02, 2013
mu hehehe grin
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by miteolu(m): 9:52am On Jul 02, 2013
After he was re-elected. Could that be compensation to the masses. Fashola did the same. I know okada riders will be scared to vote any of these ACNs governors for second term. I will keep watch on Ogun State.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 02, 2013
THEY NEED TO HIRE CHARLY BOY TO COME RIDE BUTT NEKKID IN PROTEST TO THE GOVT HOUSE
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Nwaoguta(m): 9:54am On Jul 02, 2013
fighting a lost battle.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Omexonomy: 9:57am On Jul 02, 2013
bella berry: It's quite sad that these guys have lost their source of livelihood, but truth be told, they should move on (perhaps to Keke business)rather than engage the govt in a long drawn battle. It wouldn't yield any results in the end.
why not give them the loan to buy keke napep. ACN wikedness as usual. After tricking them to support him.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by NDSMART(m): 9:57am On Jul 02, 2013
I refuse to comment

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by babarazy: 9:57am On Jul 02, 2013
okosodo: Make dem go siddon
that's easy for you to say because you still rely on your mama's income.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 02, 2013
Can't believe some people are fighting to remaìn poor for life, and dnt want to upgrade to taxi's or a different skill. Change is a part of life, every state that had ban Okada only experience the effect for a short time and they have all adapted to the new situation.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Ajekpako(m): 9:59am On Jul 02, 2013
Finally! Someone is thinking

I'm not a fan of bikes but Oshiomole went about his ban the wrong way (without adequate notice or alternative) and took it too far by including private bikes in the ban!

it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. lets hope the court grants a stay on the ban until the matter is settled.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by ifeomabernard(f): 10:02am On Jul 02, 2013
what happen to their savings abi dem no get before
abeg make to siddon 4 one corner jare ar they d only okada riders dat have been banned!!!
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by bot101(m): 10:04am On Jul 02, 2013
Most nigerian governors are clueless. They close one means by which nigerians feed themselves without providing alternative(s). SMH
Check out the link in my signature. . .at least no governor can close that one grin
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by bot101(m): 10:07am On Jul 02, 2013
ifeomabernard: what happen to their savings abi dem no get before
abeg make to siddon 4 one corner jare ar they d only okada riders dat have been banned!!!
You are totally heartless, at least have sympathy for your fellow man
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by johnstar(m): 10:09am On Jul 02, 2013
Luk to ur left ----------------------------> I said left idiott

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Lordave: 10:09am On Jul 02, 2013
The people/group that spearheaded this idea of suing Edo state govt are just wasting a hell of a time. They could have made a meaningful thing with the money they are paying their solicitors.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by stantob(m): 10:09am On Jul 02, 2013
Has he provided an alternative means of living for the okada riders before the ban or he just woke up one morning and banned okada thereby increasing unemployment and crime amongs the youth.Leaders should be wise.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by ezedolar: 10:09am On Jul 02, 2013
The okada people cannot do any thing. How dear them challenge their Oga at the Top
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Lordave: 10:12am On Jul 02, 2013
bot101:
You are totally heartless, at least have sympathy for your fellow man
what sympathy are you talking about? They would never win that case.
Unless you are talking about sympathizing with them on a lost case.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Temismith(f): 10:26am On Jul 02, 2013
Na wa oo, very soon now, okada will be history in nigeria.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by ayee123: 10:33am On Jul 02, 2013
Their lawyer is feeding on them.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by homesteady(m): 10:40am On Jul 02, 2013
Enangson: Can't believe some people are fighting to remaìn poor for life, and dnt want to upgrade to taxi's or a different skill. Change is a part of life, every state that had ban Okada only experience the effect for a short time and they have all adapted to the new situation.

They will be so happy if you buy for them a taxi!
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by homesteady(m): 10:44am On Jul 02, 2013
Temismith: Na wa oo, very soon now, okada will be history in nigeria.

LOL so true!! I must tell my children how important and reckless okada's were!!
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by godman01(m): 10:49am On Jul 02, 2013
How you wan take win government? Try your luck sha.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by yuncka: 11:13am On Jul 02, 2013
Fightin a lost war, I hope dey win.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Ajekpako(m): 11:17am On Jul 02, 2013
godman01: How you wan take win government? Try your luck sha.

Its this same defeatist mentality that makes our politicians loot without fear cos they know the common man is too scared to challenge them.

Mind you, the court is last hope of the common man.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 02, 2013
Excuse the sentiments please. If he used them for campaign, did he ask them to aid and abet robbery and ritual killings and bank robberies and patronage of CSW?

What's so unfair about development and moving forward? Is there just one source of livelihood in that state?

I think the Gov should go about it the right way, but the ban on those killer locomotives has come to stay. Here in Lagos, they're higly not missed.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by Ajekpako(m): 11:53am On Jul 02, 2013
mollytinrox: Excuse the sentiments please. If he used them for campaign, did he ask them to aid and abet robbery and ritual killings and bank robberies and patronage of CSW?

What's so unfair about development and moving forward? Is there just one source of livelihood in that state?

I think the Gov should go about it the right way, but the ban on those killer locomotives has come to stay. Here in Lagos, they're higly not missed.

Exactly the point!

This mad man gave less than a week notice with no alternative in place! he even banned the private ones too. That's madness if you ask me.
Re: Okada Riders Sue Edo Govt Over Ban by duni04(m): 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2013
Security risk or not, in a truly civilized society, nobody wakes up one morning and bans this or that. Its ludicrous! As long as its not in the state or federal statutes, nobody has a right to prevent me from doing whatever i want. Wonder why someone should spend an arm and a leg on getting a bike and then have one drunken idiot in black uniform harass him on the road while going about my truly 'legal' daily job just because of what one drunken, corrupt governor woke up one morning and uttered. Its high time people were made aware of their rights in this country. Its bad enough that the politicians steal all our money and render people to menial jobs like okada riding. To then take away what remains of us that's just criminal. I say sue the governors Ass!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats Your Take On This Trend (WARNING:: Graphic Picture) / Atiku Launches 2019 Presidential Ambition In Full Force / Show Me One Nairaland Biafran Supporter Who Didnt Shout GEJ Till 2019?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.