Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You (1143 Views)

Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / My Career Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2013
hello, i'm 21years old and a new graduate...i know it may surprise most of you but the fact is that i don't really know who i want be in future (career)....i studied a course i have no passion for (human physiology)....i'm really confused, i know it's really bad and most people i talk to about it always refer to the fact that i'm a girl and i should think of marriage......i just want to get your various views and advice.....
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Acidosis(m): 3:17pm On Jul 02, 2013
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
I was in ur shoes when i graduated at d exact same age! Studied α course that i didn't enjoy. But i got to discover myslf during my service year. I taught in α second skul and d interaction with d studnts 'opened my eye'. At least,now i know what i want and can do effectively if given d chance. As d 1st poster said,there must be smfn u enjoy doin,u might not realise it yet. Think!
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by youngalex(m): 6:34pm On Jul 18, 2013
Human physiology well from experience u might likely land a job as a sales rep in a pharmaceutical company,but if u have some extra cash u can go for MBBS or D.Pharm which might take 5-6 yrs to complete,or betterstill B.SC Nursing...the choice is urs
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by yang(m): 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hahahaaaa!!! There is a world out there poster. Find your passion. Make sure its what people want. . . People will pay for it.

Bloody waste of school fees
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 19, 2013
There are many people in a similar position to yourself. Sadly, career counselling is lacking in many Nigerian Secondary Schools, and many students choose university courses without first thinking of what really interests them. Funny enough, there are lots of people in other countries, who, in spite of the fact that they have received sound career counselling at the secondary school stage, end up changing careers at various stages of their lives, because they did not find fulfilment in their original chosen field.

The great news is that, in the world we are in today, there is much more flexibility as far as career path is concerned, than there was in the past. I recently met a Nigerian guy who studied medicine (has a Phd in it), but now works as a Business Analyst, and has great fulfilment. I met a lady who studied Law, but has been working in HR for many years. A friend of mine studied Law, but has found great fulfilment (and lots of money) in the wedding cake industry. Each of these people had opportunities to work in their fields of study, but they chose to work in a different field.

So, although you're unhappy with the course you studied, you are a much more enlightened person than you were before you studied. I am sure that you picked up skills and knowledge that can be polished and applied to various possible roles in the corporate world. Thankfully, a lot of corporate organisations are becoming very flexible around 'field of study' when recruiting graduates. Like others have mentioned, your next step is to discover your passion. What are you naturally good at? What gives you fulfilment? What do you wish you had studied, and why? If you had the opportunity to learn a new skill for free, what would it be? There are no right or wrong answers. Write down several possible answers to each of those questions, and you might begin to see a pattern.

As for the marriage idea, marriage will come, but now is the time to think of and develop yourself. Marriage is one aspect of life, career is another. The two are not mutually exclusive, and therefor must each be given adequate consideration.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 19, 2013
@jesuslovesme, thank you, thank you so muchh...Wow!!! You've made my day...

I read your response to my issue and I was really intrigued by it, so I decided to go through your past posts and believe me, I've learnt a lot...thank you
Re: I Need Your Advice About My Career.......thank You by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jul 19, 2013
@mzbraidebraide, You are very welcome! I'm glad my response has proven useful. All the best! smiley

(1) (Reply)

/ U Want To Be A Google Cerified Adword Certified Expert? / Unique Exterior & Interior Home Painter In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.