Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,280 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers (16817 Views)

Internet-enabled Desktop Applications / Cities In Nigeria Where Mtn 3gp Is Enabled / Multilinks Mobile And Table Phone For Sale. (internet Enabled) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Olarewajub: 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
[img]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2013/07/02/little-riot852.jpg[/img]

Romance can be complicated, especially for couples in long-distance relationships. There are many different technological ways lovers can stay connected, but sometimes Skype or Facetime just don't cut it.

Enter the internet-enabled pillow.

Joanna Montgomery, 25, of Newcastle, UK, set out to develop a new product that would connect couples who are physically apart. Pillow Talk enables couples to feel closer by transmitting their heartbeats - and by lighting their pillows with a glow.

While they may be hundreds of kilometres apart, the two partners are connected through a wristband and a smartphone app. The wristband picks up the wearer’s heartbeat and transmits it via Bluetooth to the iOS or Android app. The other wearer immediately receives, and hears, the other's heartbeat.

"By plugging in your headphones or the pillow speaker, you can lie in bed and hear the real-time heartbeat of your loved one," Montgomery says.

The Internet-enabled pillows also glow in the dark. When one person puts their head down on their pillow, it sends a signal over the internet to light up the other person's pillow.

The result, Montgomery adds, is an intimate interaction between two lovers.
'Sense of presence'

Pillow Talk is currently in beta testing and due to be launched later this year. But it's already received hundreds of orders. After being featured on design and technology blog Gizmodo last year, the project went viral. Since then, it has received 750,000+ views on YouTube, according to Montgomery, who founded the design company Little Riot after creating Pillow Talk.

"I'm still amazed at the success of it," Montgomery says. "I seem to have somehow struck an emotional chord with people. When people email me they don't just say, 'Can I order one?' They email me about their boyfriend or girlfriend and how they met... they send pictures of themselves."

Her inspiration derived from her digital interaction design degree at Dundee University in Scotland and personal experience with her own boyfriend, who works away every four weeks on a ship in the North Sea.

"If you text or email someone you have to sit at your computer or with your phone and it doesn't seem natural. When you’re in a relationship with someone you're sitting with them in the same room - not necessarily talking - but still with them. There wasn’t any technology out there that offered that experience."

Pillow Talk offers a sense of presence, she says. "You don’t have to actively engage with it but you still have a sense that your partner is there."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/07/02/pillow-talk.html
http://blevopedia..in/2013/07/internet-enabled-pillow-connects-long.html

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by inspiredm(m): 1:13am On Jul 04, 2013
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 04, 2013
Mumu invention. Make dem kiss d pillow nau.

4 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by sKeetz(m): 1:16am On Jul 04, 2013
Does it also stop cheating involved in LDR

If not....am not impressed! undecided
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by nijanigga: 1:17am On Jul 04, 2013
tyadams: Mumu invention. Make dem kiss d pillow nau.
Quick 0rgasm for you. mumu wey no sabi love.

3 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by gluv01(f): 1:19am On Jul 04, 2013
...funny grin

Durex also brought their own, you can touch any part of your lovers body with a device which connects with an app.

What I need is the one which connects me to Dangote's bank acctount angry I want to feel when the money pours in millions!!!

10 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by picaro(f): 1:24am On Jul 04, 2013
How many Gigs e go chop overnight? For Nigeria wey internet na luxury, the talk go dey load and boot slowly. Abeg! Free me now!

6 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by jaywatt(m): 1:25am On Jul 04, 2013
Waiting be this, *sigh*
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by caustical: 1:27am On Jul 04, 2013
I dey sure say most of the pillows go get belle after 9 months grin

7 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Oyinprince(m): 1:32am On Jul 04, 2013
Pillow talk, hmm... Soon we'll invent boxer's talk

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Adex097: 1:33am On Jul 04, 2013
Nairalanders no dey sleep..nawa o

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 04, 2013
I need one of these for my love so I can re-wire it and shock the hell out of him angry angry

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Misterc(m): 1:35am On Jul 04, 2013
picaro: How many Gigs e go chop overnight? For Nigeria wey internet na luxury, the talk go dey load and boot slowly. Abeg! Free me now!
grin

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by bellaberry: 1:36am On Jul 04, 2013
Yeye invention. She is lucky this is not an undergraduate final year project. The inventor for hear am.
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 04, 2013
Cancer Made Easy!!!

14 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by lemmings(m): 2:26am On Jul 04, 2013
definately not for the nigerian market.. I mean, which nigerian would want to hear just his lovers heartbeat? What if it starts beating very fast?? ur partner go think say anoda tin don dey happen? E go come cus quarrel.

smh.. Oyinbo get time walahi

4 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Nobody: 2:37am On Jul 04, 2013
not new jare,i have always been holding pillows whenever i miss my BOO,and also clutching pillows when we engage in sexx talk at nite....

my pillow is flat due to constant hug every night....

how i wish i can be paid by these white people for using my invention....

3 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Willgates(m): 2:51am On Jul 04, 2013
She stole ma idea! Ma daddy covernor codswill akpabio was ready to sponsor me cryShe stole ma idea! Ma daddy covernor codswill akpabio was ready to sponsor me

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by xykms101: 3:19am On Jul 04, 2013
picaro: How many Gigs e go chop overnight? For Nigeria wey internet na luxury, the talk go dey load and boot slowly. Abeg! Free me now!
U dey reason am before?
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by ZN2: 3:33am On Jul 04, 2013
What is this? Some new way to keep an eye ear on your partner so they don't club all night?

And Why the hell would you want to hear thumping sounds all night? Ever imagined the nightmares that could produce? undecided

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by ossaisly(m): 3:36am On Jul 04, 2013
Fart grin angry angry angry angry
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by optimusprime2(m): 4:01am On Jul 04, 2013
Kai e go dey show am por light like NEFA! Abun da ike that fillow pit electrocute feson fa?

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by harlos: 4:05am On Jul 04, 2013
Very funny.
Technology sha...
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by fairari022(m): 4:23am On Jul 04, 2013
Good invention

2 Likes

Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Desdola(m): 5:15am On Jul 04, 2013
After feeling d heart beat what else? Than buying that stuff i go carry my money do better thing.
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by slimyem: 5:24am On Jul 04, 2013
Wetin I wan take person heartbeat do? ...and light for my pillow too?
Better thing don finish to invent o..
There's no way it'll give close to the effect a warm embrace will give you on a cold night.cool It makes no sense!
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 04, 2013
A beautiful invention,as time goes on there would be internet enabled_boxers or internet enabled_pant or bra.
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by White007(m): 5:26am On Jul 04, 2013
Rubbish...!
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by tpia5: 5:28am On Jul 04, 2013
ok guys, you can start posting your stories of how your lovers left the pillow on during their marathon sex sessions with their other boyfriends.

if too much detail, put in sexuality section.
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by 3ace(m): 5:54am On Jul 04, 2013
Hmmm..surprised why haven't I seen the advocates of "sign of end time" @topic, this invention is not really impressive.
Re: Internet-enabled Pillow Connects Long-Distance Lovers by betrani(m): 6:02am On Jul 04, 2013
tyadams: Mumu invention. Make dem kiss d pillow nau.
Oboy na touch matter no be feeling! oyinbo the craze as usual

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Will Experience A Lunar Eclipse On Monday, January 21, 2019 - NASRDA / World’s Ugliest Dog Wins $1000 And A Year’s Supply Of Dog Biscuit / How To Fix PHED Prepaid Meter ‘rejected’ Error

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.