Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,786 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

ASUU Strike: Updates - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Updates (33145 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by DexxyAlebs(m): 8:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
As a matter of fact the ASUU nec meeting was done in my school OOU and i am very sure in 50 out of 53 universities that voted for strike am very sure my sch wld be among lucky 400 and 100 level students ar tru wif exams na we come 'runpa' for sch 200 and 300 our exam was slated 4 monday.
ASUU i thought 2012 warning strike would be the last we would hear from you?
Better days ahead,
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by AMACRITY(f): 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
Kesmakveli: Here @ unizik, we don't know strike and strike don't know us! Great GIant!!! Great!
ok.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by lakesider(m): 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2013
Who s forcing this people to lecture,if lecturing cannot pay your bill, please find other jobs that can .stop wasting peoples life
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 03, 2013
clow: Reporting live from Covenant University,we have also also joined in the ongoing strike............. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
_
Private Universities FTW! Make I hear say private unis are on strike! Muehehehehehe!
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by godman01(m): 8:41pm On Jul 03, 2013
FUNAAB just finished their exams on July 1st, so they are on.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by habayommy: 8:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
undecided

Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by yetunsbay(m): 8:45pm On Jul 03, 2013
Acecube: UNILORIN : we were already on holiday weeks before the strike.
Better by far, jare.... 10years uninterupted calendar. @ unilorin 4 years is 3.5 years grin
bro no be only ur school...UNIOSUN we dey 4low ourselves...also on break nw
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by yetunsbay(m): 8:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
Better by far, jare.... 10years uninterupted calendar. @ unilorin 4 years is 3.5 years grin
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by ndavids5(m): 8:47pm On Jul 03, 2013
my schl MOUAU is yet 2 observing it properly, bt frm d look of tins i tink its getin more serious as d day goes by. Though, after after 2day's executive meetin bt by moro mur infos'll be unfolded
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by proffemi: 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
@peleson:
No, no, no...no. Your post shows a serious ignorance about what academics are supposed to do. Granted, I believe you reached those conclusions based on the lecturers in your school. I do agree with one of the sentiments hinted at in your post (more on that soon) but you're wrong on many counts.

First, "lecturers" are (where the system works; it does to some extent in my institution) actually NOT primarily teachers. Our primary function as academics is to create new knowledge, do research. Obviously, you'll complain that Nigerian academics have not been doing that. The causes and blame for that is another long discussion. However, lets not reduce the job of academics to just teaching as you imply.

The most obvious proof of the dysfunction in our tertiary institutions is the quality of our students. Its funny but you guys don't even realize what the bigger problem is. Nigeria's backwardness itself is actually caused by the same dysfunction. Simply put, Nigeria has NO HOPE of becoming developed unless it gets tertiary education right. I believe you know as well as I do that most of the important developments in the world have come from universities (and affiliated research institutions) that work. Go and check every single country that has emerged as a globally relevant entity in the last couple centuries and show me any one whose rise was not achieved on the strength of excellent tertiary education.

In short, an argument can be made that the fact that Nigeria's academics have not been able to rise to the challenge is the single most important reason why, as a country, we have not made much progress. Yes, in a place where universities function, academics are THAT important, not just teachers who work 12 hours a day as you suggest.

Where I sort of agree with you is: academics who need big salaries should walk; we didn't take this job to get rich. Howeveeeeer, having said that, what is happening here is not a clamor for increased salaries. I know it sounds so selfish when you hear "allowances", but the bulk of the money comes from:

a. "excess workload allowances" these are allowances that are given to lecturers who (and only those who) have to work overtime. Most departments are operated on less than half the number of lecturers that the NUC itself recommends. Effectively,one lecturer may end up doing the job of three people. Such guys get given some FRACTION of their salaries. I totally believe this a fair practice (otherwise, FG should hire the right number of lecturers) however, if this is dropped, I personally won't complain as long as the FG properly performs its responsibilities to help with our core function: research. This is where the other two allowances come in:

b. Funding to support the research of MSc and PhD students. For me, this is critical. Most of you who complain about your lecturers, its because some of those lecturers are not exposed. What is wrong in funding the research of your lecturers so they can better teach you and better carry out research that the country needs?

c. Allowances for supervisors and examiners for PG work.

I feel bad for students when they get grounded like this. Its part of of the tragedy of being born a Nigerian. However, we should all realize the importance of getting tertiary education functioning. Yes, by all means, lets chase out incapable/greedy/corrupt/inept lecturers, but know this: any chance this country has of socio-economic progress requires 100% a functional tertiary education system.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Mantissa89(m): 9:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Here @unizik, normal sch activities is going on. Even self my room mate had his practical exam 2day. ASUU sucks
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
Wetin concern these state unis and FG payment of overload allowance? Instead of them going to negotiate with their state govts, they are stupidly obeying ASUU.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by readonenaire(m): 9:18pm On Jul 03, 2013
yeah yeah
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Greatpooss(m): 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
Here in UniAbuja, there is no clear notion that our lecturers have joined the strike. All we are praying for, is that the strike should be called off because we are seriously lagging behind compare to other schools academic calendar.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Clinton207: 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
A.A.u just joined today.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by philfearon(m): 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
lakesider: Who s forcing this people to lecture,if lecturing cannot pay your bill, please find other jobs that can .stop wasting peoples life
Gbam!
Best comment of the year...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Csami(m): 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
clow: Reporting live from Covenant University,we have also also joined in the ongoing strike............. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
so them allow you use phone for that glorified secondary school?
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by nimelssaite: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2013
aau join today
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by ttime(m): 9:40pm On Jul 03, 2013
Fut minna joins d stryk 2dy
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by proffemi: 9:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
lakesider: Who s forcing this people to lecture,if lecturing cannot pay your bill, please find other jobs that can .stop wasting peoples life

Every student has a right to finish his program on time. However, you don't need just *anybody* lecturing you. You want to actually be taught by someone who knows what he is saying. What's the point in being "taught" and graduating on time, only to join the body of graduates who cannot add any value to themselves or the nation?

My point is, yes, it doesn't have to be "this people" lecturing you. They can be fired, or find other jobs as you advise. However, whoever else does your teaching will need to be given the right incentives to do so, otherwise your education would be worthless. It would come on time, but it would be worthless. Trust me.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by picoba(m): 9:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
safarigirl: In UNIABUJA, academic activities are slowly grinding to a halt, lectures were cancelled yesterday, and more today, only the bursary and some faculty offices are working. Some students are still awaiting the circular sha.

Is this strike meant for UNIABUJA?
Is better UNIABUJA goes back to class.shap, shap
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by onimcee1(m): 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2013
Ambrose Alli University has joined today. Although lectures were held 2day, 2mao travellers starts 4 students. Grant us journey mercy LORD.
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by scofield33(m): 9:48pm On Jul 03, 2013
Futo officially strted d strike 2day! Though we have 2wiks 2 strt our exams....
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by Princess055: 9:59pm On Jul 03, 2013
Aaua lecturers just joined yesterday
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by simongonner: 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
University of agiculture Makurdi has joined....
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by simongonner: 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2013
Will the strike affect post jamb date?
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by vicosir(m): 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2013
kogi state uni. Has joined since tuesday..... Its realy a shame on this country where almost all sector are paralised due to currupt nature of our leaders.. May God deliver us all in this country
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by bionicdude(m): 10:44pm On Jul 03, 2013
in unical here we are suppose to start d second semester on dis monday that just passed.now the strike has come i'm just scared coz our calendar is backward imagine starting d second semester in july.imagine how we will cope if the strike is for long
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by flexshop(m): 10:59pm On Jul 03, 2013
Mantissa89: Here @unizik, normal sch activities is going on. Even self my room mate had his practical exam 2day. ASUU sucks

ASUU are a bunch of greedy no gooders.I read through all their demands and 80% was unbelievable.how can the federal government assist state universities, wat criteria should they use to increase retirement age of inefficient old men, wat basis should universities have tenancy over federal lands outside their allocated lands, etc etc
The lecturers are not even interested in students welfare. Go to universities and see the total disregard of their duties by Some of them. If I am the president, I would sack all striking lecturers and employ fresh graduates to take over. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by polosky: 11:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
[quote author=Aedes_muskeeto]The shiît just hit the fan in minna...
The strike was declared about an hour ago in futminna(searchfm)..

This is bad!!

As of this evening, at gidan kwanu campus, i saw most 100 level students with bags and joy on their faces heading towards bosso campus to catch the earliest bus their various destinations. There are also speculations that practicals in the various labs will go on but no lectures
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by safarigirl(f): 12:04am On Jul 04, 2013
picoba:

Is this strike meant for UNIABUJA?
Is better UNIABUJA goes back to class.shap, shap
haha, guy na dem like the tin pass, you know say if Abuja no go, FG no go take them seriously as per say na here be their HQ.

Nothing dey happen for school sha..the wait is still on, but people don dey go house small small, others dey wait for circular or at least weekend before dem go
Re: ASUU Strike: Updates by browniecay: 12:51am On Jul 04, 2013
yemyem4u: Adekunle Ajasin Uni as joined as wel....although students are suppose to resume back on campus dis week for 2nd semester activities bt ASUU as prosponed our resumption nw.

Guy mak G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡d forgive U̶̲̥̅̊ on time cos u murdered English here...PROSPONED?...Buy one lexicon pls...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards - 2017/2018 / Why Are Most Nigerian Lecturers So Wicked And Heartless? / University Of Calabar 2015/2016 Post-utme Date And Sitting Arrangement.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.