Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,439 members, 7,781,286 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:47 AM

The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State (54925 Views)

Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cityofdavid(m): 3:02pm On Jul 03, 2013
When my NYSC call up letter requested me to report at Ebonyi state, I leaped for joy because I wasn't posted to the North where the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents were rampant. I once thought that the only thing worthy of dread was the Boko Haram sect, but it has occurred to me that Boko Haram is just one of the many unsualiness in parts of Nigeria. The most memorable moment during my odyssey to Ebonyi state from Lagos was the point when my vehicle crossed the river Niger which borders Delta State and Anambra State. The memories of Chinua Achebe's novel "Chike and the River" nostagically swept accross my mind like erosion on Benin roads. I recalled how the adventurous Chike crossed the Niger and providentially emerged a hero following his effort in helping the police to nab the leader of a notorious gang of robbers. But unlike Chike who crossed the Niger out of cheer curiousity, I crossed the river Niger for the first time in the quest of serving my fatherland. While on the Niger bridge, it became instinctive that I'd encounter things (fair and foul) that would be worthy of documentation. One of such things has created in me an uncontrollably drive which has forced me to commit my pen to paper.

The NYSC camp in Afikpo, Ebonyi State may not be the best total institution in the world but the lessons I learnt in the camp were priceless. The psyche of the NYSC programme presented a regimented life which involved physical drills, skill acquisition, national orientation, patriotism and self-reliance. Mixed feelings trailled my departure from the camp to a destination which my posting letter revealed to be Okposi in Ohaozara Local government. The road which linked Afikpo town to Ohaozara must not be travelled by a truck conveying crates of eggs because of the unmotorable state of the road. The desolate state of the hamlets along the road painted a vivid picture of rurality, or rather, it supported the disorted NYSC acronym which has it as "Now Your Suffering Continues". The fact that my suffering has continued was alarmed by two female corps members who wept helplessly in the vehicle. The ladies were crying because like every corps members posted to Ohaozara local government, they have been stripped off their modernity as well as their urbanized way of life.

We arrived Okposi few hours after midday. The town seemed to be the most developed region in Ohaozara local government. The town has motor parks, restaurants, a hotel, a police station, churches, markets, petrol stations among others. The roads within the town were motorable, the people were Igbo speaking and quite industrious. The villagers were hospitable to corps members and the females were readily available to meet the sexual needs of male corps members. One thing fascinated me about the social life of the Okposi people in Ohaozara local government. The fascination arose from their reverance of green snakes in private and public places.

It is highly forbidden to kill green snakes in Okposi while it is forbidden to kill any species of snakes in some other parts of Ebonyi State. The green snakes of Okposi must not be killed given any circumstances. The reason being that, green snakes were worshipped by the ancestors of the land. Green snakes could be seen as frequently as Lizards are seen in South-Western Nigeria. Green snakes creep into rooms, churches, car parks, compounds etc and they are not killed. A stranger is mandated to conduct a burial ceremony if he or she intentionally or unintentionally kills a green snake. This queer custom of the Okposi people has invalidated my initial view that snakes were wild animals. A senior corps member narrated the story of how a green snake crept into his church during a certain sunday service and how the snake was only pampered out of the church auditorium.

The hospitality shown to green snakes in Okposi has advanced the sociological views that what is "wild" or "domestic" is cuturally determined. Before you start labelling the custom of the Okposi people as barbaric and archaic, think about the unusualiness in your own society, think about the fooliness of some of your own beliefs. Indeed, the way of life of a people vary from one geographical area to the other. I would have loved to continue my ethnographic writings but I've to feed the green snakes approaching my reading table now.

Visit and LIKE my page for more articles. Thanx.
http://facebook.com/thesocialmicroscope

50 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by achi4u(m): 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2013
That's the custom of the ppl,but the green snake you upload can be very dangerous grin

that one follow?

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Peterboy1(m): 7:07pm On Jul 07, 2013
hmmmmm ok na
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by collins125: 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
*hisses on thread and continues sipping alomo + black label & 2 packs of Target cigarettes and waiting for mama oyoyo to finish my catfish pepper soup while playing ludo.

On to the next one

6 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by YoursGEJ(m): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
na today

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2013
is that stake venom deadly
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Jamieb(m): 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2013
achi4u: That's the custom of the ppl,but the green snake you upload can be very dangerous grin

that one follow?
am from onicha, the neighbouring town to okposi. The green snake isnt poisonous even if it bit. That is why it is very rampant.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 07, 2013
@OP, i pity your life. You think say snake sabi education or adventure(or whatever you call it) ni? Go read about Adam and Eve..

2 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by YoursGEJ(m): 7:11pm On Jul 07, 2013
sam4xadams: is that stake venom deadly

dem hold you? go check am out and give us your report. Where you want make we wait for you? Hospital or mortuary?

14 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by gunpoint(m): 7:11pm On Jul 07, 2013
Deed I make frontpaige? Wow!
Gawd is gud.
Whot numba ayam?
I haf woked hard to cum thes fa.
Next tiam I wee becum 1st to coment. grin

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by vizboy(m): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2013
i pray make i no kill am oh.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by BlackPikiN(m): 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
The green snake is also revered in my maternal village in Abia state.

According to oral history, some medicine men from Okposi or some part of Ebonyi brought the female snake to their community.

Aka nmam?(spellings though)

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by nekaa(f): 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
Feed them with wat exactly?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Henrypraise: 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nice writing skills, how eva beware of green snakes under green grass. For d Orogun pple in Delta state, its a taboo to kill an Iguana, even if u stay in d USA.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
THE GODS BLESS THESE SNAKES!

THE GODS BLESS YOU ASWELL OP! GREAT THREAD!
cool

don't listen to these christians. they have no respect for our forests and our animals. all they know is to kill anything that doesn't pay them tithe.

our fore-fathers knew that the only way to avoid the wrath of the dangerous forest animals, was to treat them with respect, instead of trying to exterminate them. We Maguzawa don't kill snakes, because they clear our fields of those rats that destroy our crops.

This is not just a Nigerian thing btw.
Across South-Western India, among the Bantaru and Nair Tribes, if you kill a snake, you would face retribution. and if you came across a dead snake, you must organize its funeral and also feed the entire village.

6 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2013
This snake is not even poisonous its a grass snake it ca bite you all day and nothing will happen....

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ProfessorPeter(m): 7:14pm On Jul 07, 2013
Oh boy, see correct meat
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by twinskenny(m): 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
collins.123:
*hisses on thread and continues sipping alomo + black label & 2 packs of Target cigarettes and waiting for mama oyoyo to finish my catfish pepper soup while playing ludo.

On to the next one
bros only uu
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by twinskenny(m): 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
collins.123:

On to the next one
bros only uu easy ooo
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sd6: 7:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
The snakes are called AKA NWOGOGO. Its part of the heritage of Okposi people and its not to be killed. Stories had it that whoever killed it buried it like human. When it comes around you, you'd simply say AKA PU meaning AKA go. And surprising it turns and leaves. Such practice today is on the verge of extinction.

6 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2013
Another snake worshipping part of Igboland ( Eke Idemili comes to mind) are those Ohaozara villages.

In my Nkanu part of Igboland, green snakes are regarded dangerous and are said to sprint like Carl Lewis grin
We skin them though!

2 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by resurrectn(m): 7:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
storyyyy all I know is I hate snakes!!!!
*puts feet up,just in case there's a snake down there*

5 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ManTiger(m): 7:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
Hmmmm, i wan comment before but as i come see Pagan 9ja, na so i keep shut. I for say green snake cooked with green leaves on green lantern.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

don't listen to these christians. they have no respect for our forests and our animals. all they know is to kill anything that doesn't pay them tithe.
Pagan, you no go kee person o.... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
Shey na to send letter give NYSC say I no want serve again na em hard?
If only you have an idea how I hate those creeping creatures!

I prefer Lions to Snakes!
*Runs from thread b4 OP reports me to the village snakes*

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 7:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
BlackPikiN: The green snake is also revered in my maternal village in Abia state.

According to oral history, some medicine men from Okposi or some part of Ebonyi brought the female snake to their community

Aka nmam?(spellings though)
Dude, you can't spell Igbo words? Give yourself 2 strokes of cane lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: Dude, you can't spell Igbo words? Give yourself 2 strokes of cain lipsrsealed

*coughs*

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2013
btw now I know with all certainty that if one wants to make front-page, just post about snakes.
I'm also not surprized that the owner of this site is Igbo.

kudos Seun! cool
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by BlackPikiN(m): 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: Dude, you can't spell Igbo words? Give yourself 2 strokes of cain lipsrsealed

Lol.. Forget spelling. U understand wetin I write abi?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades / Masquerade Spotted Asking A Lady For Her Phone Number (video) / Dangote, Ooni Ogunwusi, Oyegun At Oba Of Benin's Coronation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.