Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,414 members, 7,800,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State (55033 Views)

Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 8:05pm On Jul 07, 2013
Lordave: I bu onye Izuogu?
No, but i grew up in Enyimba city listening to such great music for decades.
I still have some collection of the group's albums. Discussing Ikeji festival during my high school days was fun. I do sing some of the chorus as well, especially the tracks on "Oderigugu" by title album.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Skipuru(m): 8:07pm On Jul 07, 2013
All dis na fake tradition let them kill the snake jareee ?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by koneshape2012: 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
[quote author=sd-6]The snakes are called AKA NWOGOGO. Its part of the heritage of Okposi people and its not to be killed. Stories had it that whoever killed it buried it like human. When it comes around you, you'd simply say AKA PU meaning AKA go. And surprising it turns and leaves. Such practice today is on the verge of extinction. [/quote

bros. na so. gini ka ina eme ni ivo nte?
I school for Fgc okposi. nice memories sha...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 8:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
musKeeto:

*coughs*
Typo
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by PStacks(m): 8:13pm On Jul 07, 2013
Are you for real?
shocked
Very insightful article.
He's not just a very good writer but also very articulated. I want to be like the writer of this article when I grow up.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:17pm On Jul 07, 2013
Green snake eh? Ok O! Come Nembe for Bayelsa State you go fear giant phyton! NEXT?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by antartica(m): 8:18pm On Jul 07, 2013
There are some long slender and elegant green snakes in my place we don't bother killing. We let them hang around when they come around the buildings and slips off when the feel like . Nobody actually know whether they are venomous or not,because they haven't actually bitten anybody.

Africans kills snakes whenever they see them,it doesn't matter whether they are venomous or not. And that is very ignorant and destructive. Mostly based on Christian dogma that depicts snakes as the serpents.

Harmonizing with nature is the key to human survival. Everything that exists are interconnected.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Lordave: 8:19pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: No, but i grew up in Enyimba city listening to such great music for decades.
I still have some collection of the group's albums. Discussing Ikeji festival during my high school days was fun. I do sing some of the chorus as well, especially the tracks on "Oderigugu" by title album.
eziokwu? Side ebe ka itoro na Aba?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Eloghosa78: 8:29pm On Jul 07, 2013
How I hate snakes...I wuld rather defer my service to another year!.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nightshift(m): 8:29pm On Jul 07, 2013
Lordave: eziokwu? Side ebe ka itoro na Aba?
Etorom na Umungasi - St Paul's area. We also lived at Hospital and Okigwe Rds. And you?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by omoredia: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2013
collins.123:
*hisses on thread and continues sipping alomo + black label & 2 packs of Target cigarettes and waiting for mama oyoyo to finish my catfish pepper soup while playing ludo.

On to the next one
chai! Guy I pity u oooo! Upon how u try get likes for this your post u no get even 1 like? Lol
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Tracetruth: 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2013
musKeeto:

*coughs*
his spelling of cane is correct,therefore i urge you to apologize to him
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by abdulkayus(m): 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2013
Everyone wit his/her own culture sha. Also witness d same wen i was serving in Anambra state, Njikoka LG. U are nt allow to kill d python and me wey dey fear snake like wetin. Still finish my service there sha bt thank God never come in contact wit d forbidden snake. Bt we do kill other snake in our surrounding sha. Snake plenty like lizard for Anambra. Bt dos dat serve in d capital esp Awka south dont encountered dat.
Snakes issues are rare in d north.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by tpapi: 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
I prefer to serve in borno state than that snake infested village

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by ACM10: 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
How dare you compare Boko haram with non-venomous green snake? Better to dread Boko haram than green snake. Respect people's deity. Don't touch that green snake.

By the way, have you screened yourself for HIV? Don't spread that your monster to my naive sisters in Ebonyi who are taking care of your intimate needs.

2 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by akorlade(m): 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
Eloghosa78: How I hate snakes...I wuld rather defer my service to another year!.

those snake are beautiful never seen anything like them. I had my nysc at ivo popularly called "snake island by corpers" pray you are posted to ebonyi.

nice work @ op.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
That Snake u uploaded na green Mamba o! one bite go end ur career.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by emmygod: 8:55pm On Jul 07, 2013
Enugu state is more civilized in south eastern part of Nigeria. when i was serving in udi, the people have no reverence to deity ot totem. The town Ukana re not worshipping anything. nighty nine percent of them re predominantly christian. Unlike other neigbouring state like Anambra they still pay homage to python chinua achebe describe in his book the arrow of god. Deity re still respected. My visi to Ngwa land in abia state shows that there re not pegans.There customs re civilized.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by lekkie073(m): 9:02pm On Jul 07, 2013
don't mind the op, the green snake he is talking about is python, not the one in d pix which looks more like a mamba. I served in awka etiti in idemili south LG of anambra and the tradition is the same. the op is right but the pix he used to portray it is false.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 07, 2013
The locals have known these snakes for centuries to be harmless. Thats why they get annoyed when you kill them. Not all snakes are venomous.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Tos87(m): 9:15pm On Jul 07, 2013
This post just refreshed my memory...Ї was opportuned Ţ☹ stay in Okposi from 1998 Ţ☹ 2004. That was during my secondary school days@ FGC.ЂΞ Okposians call that green snake (Eka),they don't kill as u said ãпԃ if a okposian should kill it,it must be given a burial rite accorded Ţ☹ human. Infact we student didn't mind..we kill any long thing that crawls ѳπ ЂΞ floor when there is no any elderly okposian around Ţ☹ stops.oh my goush!!!Ї vividly remember ЂΞ look of that snake cos like Ї said Ї resided in Okposi for six yrs then ЂΞ poeple were so timid ãпԃ achaeic,their was no Ğ☺☺∂ water,no road..tbey have this ancesteral lake know as Salt lake ãпԃ only elderly women ǟяɇ permitted Ţ☹ collect water from ЂΞ lake which ЂΞ later locally extract ЂΞ salt in it. Both for commercail ãпԃ home use. @op..ЂΞ pic of ЂΞ snake u posted doesn't seem like Eka(ЂΞ green snake) Ţ☹ ϻё cos ЂΞ snake is always very slim. Ї do hope that ЂΞ place must have welcomed some infrastructural changes ãпԃ development cos ЂΞ people dame well need it. Wow Okposi..lol
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by dasparrow: 9:25pm On Jul 07, 2013
@Post

I am not a fan of snakes!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Lordave: 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nightshift: Etorom na Umungasi - St Paul's area. We also lived at Hospital and Okigwe Rds. And you?

Danfodio road behind Enyimba stadium.
Odi ok, dalu nwanne
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sholikay(m): 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2013
sd-6:
The snakes are called AKA NWOGOGO. Its part of the heritage of Okposi people and its not to be killed. Stories had it that whoever killed it buried it like human. When it comes around you, you'd simply say AKA PU meaning AKA go. And surprising it turns and leaves. Such practice today is on the verge of extinction.
..bros,since u said AKA PU(AKA go) or wateva,is d only words said to d creature(snake) to send it off, i'd rather suggest d OP use dat AKA PU to form a lyrics nd sing it everywhere he goes,so dat wen d snake listen 2 d song,it wouldn't bother to surface sef..or wat do u guys think?..lol...
example
*singing*..yes ooo its ur boy sholikay on d mix...
AKAPU oooooooo!....AKAPU ooooooooo!....(2ce)
snake ooooooo!....AKAPU oooooo....
i hate u oooooooooo!....AKAPU ooooooo!..
no kum my side ooooooo.....AKAPU ooooooo..
mama mee oooooooo....AKAPU ooooo.....

10 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sholikay(m): 9:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
sd-6:
The snakes are called AKA NWOGOGO. Its part of the heritage of Okposi people and its not to be killed. Stories had it that whoever killed it buried it like human. When it comes around you, you'd simply say AKA PU meaning AKA go. And surprising it turns and leaves. Such practice today is on the verge of extinction.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by otikpoko(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
Cityofdavid: When my NYSC call up letter requested me to report at Ebonyi state, I leaped for joy because I wasn't posted to the North where the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents were rampant. I once thought that the only thing worthy of dread was the Boko Haram sect, but it has occurred to me that Boko Haram is just one of the many unsualiness in parts of Nigeria. The most memorable moment during my odyssey to Ebonyi state from Lagos was the point when my vehicle crossed the river Niger which borders Delta State and Anambra State. The memories of Chinua Achebe's novel "Chike and the River" nostagically swept accross my mind like erosion on Benin roads. I recalled how the adventurous Chike crossed the Niger and providentially emerged a hero following his effort in helping the police to nab the leader of a notorious gang of robbers. But unlike Chike who crossed the Niger out of cheer curiousity, I crossed the river Niger for the first time in the quest of serving my fatherland. While on the Niger bridge, it became instinctive that I'd encounter things (fair and foul) that would be worthy of documentation. One of such things has created in me an uncontrollably drive which has forced me to commit my pen to paper.

The NYSC camp in Afikpo, Ebonyi State may not be the best total institution in the world but the lessons I learnt in the camp were priceless. The psyche of the NYSC programme presented a regimented life which involved physical drills, skill acquisition, national orientation, patriotism and self-reliance. Mixed feelings trailled my departure from the camp to a destination which my posting letter revealed to be Okposi in Ohaozara Local government. The road which linked Afikpo town to Ohaozara must not be travelled by a truck conveying crates of eggs because of the unmotorable state of the road. The desolate state of the hamlets along the road painted a vivid picture of rurality, or rather, it supported the disorted NYSC acronym which has it as "Now Your Suffering Continues". The fact that my suffering has continued was alarmed by two female corps members who wept helplessly in the vehicle. The ladies were crying because like every corps members posted to Ohaozara local government, they have been stripped off their modernity as well as their urbanized way of life.

We arrived Okposi few hours after midday. The town seemed to be the most developed region in Ohaozara local government. The town has motor parks, restaurants, a hotel, a police station, churches, markets, petrol stations among others. The roads within the town were motorable, the people were Igbo speaking and quite industrious. The villagers were hospitable to corps members and the females were readily available to meet the sexual needs of male corps members. One thing fascinated me about the social life of the Okposi people in Ohaozara local government. The fascination arose from their reverance of green snakes in private and public places.

It is highly forbidden to kill green snakes in Okposi while it is forbidden to kill any species of snakes in some other parts of Ebonyi State. The green snakes of Okposi must not be killed given any circumstances. The reason being that, green snakes were worshipped by the ancestors of the land. Green snakes could be seen as frequently as Lizards are seen in South-Western Nigeria. Green snakes creep into rooms, churches, car parks, compounds etc and they are not killed. A stranger is mandated to conduct a burial ceremony if he or she intentionally or unintentionally kills a green snake. This queer custom of the Okposi people has invalidated my initial view that snakes were wild animals. A senior corps member narrated the story of how a green snake crept into his church during a certain sunday service and how the snake was only pampered out of the church auditorium.

The hospitality shown to green snakes in Okposi has advanced the sociological views that what is "wild" or "domestic" is cuturally determined. Before you start labelling the custom of the Okposi people as barbaric and archaic, think about the unusualiness in your own society, think about the fooliness of some of your own beliefs. Indeed, the way of life of a people vary from one geographical area to the other. I would have loved to continue my ethnographic writings but I've to feed the green snakes approaching my reading table now.

Visit and LIKE my page for more articles. Thanx.
http://facebook.com/thesocialmicroscope

What course are you studying?
mass comm.?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Bj5all(m): 9:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
Jamie b:
am from onicha, the neighbouring town to okposi. The green snake isnt poisonous even if it bit. That is why it is very rampant.
have u been bitten by the snake b4, how do u know the snake is not poisonous? most snakes have venom and pls don't risk ur life on some baseless belief and tradition
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by killuminati(m): 9:37pm On Jul 07, 2013
Me Killuminati, I go killam, eatam RAW!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by henryadex(m): 9:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
SNAKE WORSHIPING IS HIGHLY DEMONIC

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Chris95(m): 9:46pm On Jul 07, 2013
sholikay: ..bros,since u said AKA PU(AKA go) or wateva,is d only words said to d creature(snake) to send it off, i'd rather suggest d OP use dat AKA PU to form a lyrics nd sing it everywhere he goes,so dat wen d snake listen 2 d song,it wouldn't bother to surface sef..or wat do u guys think?..lol...
example
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by killuminati(m): 9:48pm On Jul 07, 2013
sholikay: ..bros,since u said AKA PU(AKA go) or wateva,is d only words said to d creature(snake) to send it off, i'd rather suggest d OP use dat AKA PU to form a lyrics nd sing it everywhere he goes,so dat wen d snake listen 2 d song,it wouldn't bother to surface sef..or wat do u guys think?..lol...
example
guy, you nor wise? No vex na question oh...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by lekkie073(m): 9:49pm On Jul 07, 2013
example
Hhahhahhajahahahahahahahahahahhaha.....grin grin grin grin abeg no kill me jare grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dangote, Ooni Ogunwusi, Oyegun At Oba Of Benin's Coronation / The Wodaabe People / Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.