Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,779 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State (55075 Views)

Enugu Community Where Green Snakes Are Kings, Queens, Battle Men Of God / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Rapmoney(m): 6:32am On Jul 08, 2013
Various communities across Africa and Asia have things like this. What about the the sacred pythons of Uli, Ihiala LGA, Anambra State?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by showwiggy: 7:01am On Jul 08, 2013
My brother,)your write up was mind blowing and expositery,I appriciate you a lot,my God protect you all through ur stay in that community,please kindly heed to their do's and donts,and always have atthe back of your mind that every culture or town has its do's and don't.

2 Likes

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by maxit2(m): 7:08am On Jul 08, 2013
Cityofdavid: When my NYSC call up letter requested me to report at Ebonyi state, I leaped for joy because I wasn't posted to the North where the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents were rampant. I once thought that the only thing worthy of dread was the Boko Haram sect, but it has occurred to me that Boko Haram is just one of the many unsualiness in parts of Nigeria. The most memorable moment during my odyssey to Ebonyi state from Lagos was the point when my vehicle crossed the river Niger which borders Delta State and Anambra State. The memories of Chinua Achebe's novel "Chike and the River" nostagically swept accross my mind like erosion on Benin roads.

bloody BASTARD
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by shevon: 7:11am On Jul 08, 2013
Guys beware: Not all the green snake you see in my village (Okposi) is revered. The OP should have stated categorically that Aka is the one the people gives its space.
My maternal uncle (now deceased) happened to be the one in charge of the shrine established for it in Ngbom Enu by the people of Okposi (and he is the last male in their lineage, so I don't know how the thing would be handled now)
Anyway, folklores have it that Aka has always been around but the respect of the people grew for it when the white men invaded my village and Aka trooped out in it's hundreds and chased them out of the area.
But like every other thing revered by people, there is a kind of spirituality associated with it, which makes the people insist it be given a burial similar to that of humans. So many religious people have tried killing it while damning the consequences and had had things happen to them: Some ran mad, others fell ill with unexplainable diseases; some who even killed it without mentioning it were tormented till spiritually till they confessed and the usual rites were performed.
Some people even speak to it and it listens (I've witnessed it when one of my old aunt was warning it when it slid into our compound when we were around, she was warning it that if anything happens to it that it was on its own as we - the kids - don't know it is and the snake went away immediately)
I'm not trying to scare anybody, neither am I saying the snake is anything of importance to me as an individual cos I don't believe it has anything to offer me, but like my mother (bless her soul) will always tell us, "Give onto Cesar what belongs to Cesar and give onto God what belongs to God. Stare clear of the snake and it will stay away from you"

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by sfx9ja(m): 7:17am On Jul 08, 2013
gunpoint: Deed I make frontpaige? Wow!
Gawd is gud.
Whot numba ayam?
I haf woked hard to cum thes fa.
Next tiam I wee becum 1st to coment. grin
My bloda ai awgree dat God is good ol d taim. Conglaturashun dat OP she av decide to post ya coment. Tly vely had to be nomba 1 inugo?... M.gbo mgboo mgbooo.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by akpomeme(m): 7:20am On Jul 08, 2013
BlackPikiN:

Lol.. Forget spelling. U understand wetin I write abi?

It is actually a problem that people focus on what is not important. Your message was very clear but most people focus on pedantic issues that add or remove any value from what you are communicating. Good job bro.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by supereagle(m): 7:35am On Jul 08, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
This snake is not even poisonous its a grass snake it ca bite you all day and nothing will happen....
Your ignorance will kill you. This one of the most poisonous snakes that is around.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Dempsy(m): 7:46am On Jul 08, 2013
Nightshift: Another snake worshipping part of Igboland ( Eke Idemili comes to mind) are those Ohaozara villages.

In my Nkanu part of Igboland, green snakes are regarded dangerous and are said to sprint like Carl Lewis grin
We skin them though!
....i tot its only anambra state that worship and adore snakes in igboland....hmmmmmm,strange.....we need repentence in igbo land...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by benchilovsky(m): 7:50am On Jul 08, 2013
Anything that looks like indomie is harmful ooo....run four forty!
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 08, 2013
I went to a village in Ebonyi and I saw snakes moving in and out of houses without fear... And the men will pick it up with their bare hands *shudder, shudder*
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 08, 2013
In Anambra its not d green snakes but python( Eke) which is rarely seen ,they are mostly in d bush around d village stream and I remember a frnd fron osun tokd me same thing
XpressMethod: Guy attend to your NYSC stuff and leave village things. It is same in my home town EZIORA OZUBULU in Anambra state.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by waldigit: 8:36am On Jul 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
THE GODS BLESS THESE SNAKES!

THE GODS BLESS YOU ASWELL OP! GREAT THREAD!
cool

don't listen to these christians. they have no respect for our forests and our animals. all they know is to kill anything that doesn't pay them tithe.

our fore-fathers knew that the only way to avoid the wrath of the dangerous forest animals, was to treat them with respect, instead of trying to exterminate them. We Maguzawa don't kill snakes, because they clear our fields of those rats that destroy our crops.

This is not just a Nigerian thing btw.
Across South-Western India, among the Bantaru and Nair Tribes, if you kill a snake, you would face retribution. and if you came across a dead snake, you must organize its funeral and also feed the entire village.

mr pagan, you may be right there about us xtians. Its because the scripture says suffer not a thief to live, if u don't pay tithe u are a thief! mal 3.
Yes to snake thing, if the practice of snake fellowship by oposi pple or any other pples is borne out of idolatery, the pple like macedonia pple in days of paul need deliverance. Whatever is the benefit now or in the past is just devils bait to enslave them and lead them to hell, and its not worth eternity in hell or their soul.
Almost every family of the world became devil worshiper, after the fall, Jesus said its for this reason he was manifested to stop the act of devil worshiping. Shalom
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 08, 2013
You lie my dear,snakes are more in d north cuz of d rocks,I lived in D barracks in Niger state opp COE and remembered a snake killed a soldier tru d anus.it came up from d soak away,guess it was resting in d cool water until d man threw stone!!at it!!!
Or is it nasaarawa whr am serving?(We were all forced to move with torch light and big stick in d night)or is it jos?
Pls don't say what u don't know
I was born in kano but lived in one of d city center(nasarawa)so i didn't see any but those in d villages will tell u there are much there.
But am not suprised if they become scarce now,them too dey fear boko haram!!
abdulkayus: Everyone wit his/her own culture sha. Also witness d same wen i was serving in Anambra state, Njikoka LG. U are nt allow to kill d python and me wey dey fear snake like wetin. Still finish my service there sha bt thank God never come in contact wit d forbidden snake. Bt we do kill other snake in our surrounding sha. Snake plenty like lizard for Anambra. Bt dos dat serve in d capital esp Awka south dont encountered dat.
Snakes issues are rare in d north.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 08, 2013
Not all snakes and that was d traditional religion which is fading fast. That's d reason pagan 9ja is mourning!
Dempsy: ....i tot its only anambra state that worship and adore snakes in igboland....hmmmmmm,strange.....we need repentence in igbo land...
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 08, 2013
Does throwing away custom make them civilized?is being religious civilization D whites who brought civilization are they all so religious??
Pls don't bring in town sentiments,we knw u r from enugu(typical enugu man always want to look wise(an attribute of a fool)).I have a frnd from Nsukka,a popular rich family (ifesinachi)who always lament abt d way his pple who just embraced christianity not quite long completely abandoned their tradition,thou some were bad eg making a woman swear an oat of faithfullness in d shrine but d man doesn't.but what abt d yearly masqurade which is all for fun in many parts of d east,they also abandoned that and becoming too catholic (80% of them r catholics)for his liking! Is that what u call civilization(Mind u I'm catholic) if u talk abt civilization u pple are not near Abia or Anambra or Imo infact some ebonyi pple are more civilized than u. So take a seat and stop throwing stones
emmygod: Enugu state is more civilized in south eastern part of Nigeria. when i was serving in udi, the people have no reverence to deity ot totem. The town Ukana re not worshipping anything. nighty nine percent of them re predominantly christian. Unlike other neigbouring state like Anambra they still pay homage to python chinua achebe describe in his book the arrow of god. Deity re still respected. My visi to Ngwa land in abia state shows that there re not pegans.There customs re civilized.

1 Like

Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by telim: 9:08am On Jul 08, 2013
ritux: I have a question to ask. What will happen to one who secretly kills any of those untouchable snakes and other animals that are forbidden to be killed in some places?
Nothing will happen, i served in one of the villages in Anambra two years ago with the same funny tradition. There are many snakes in that village and it is a taboo to kill snakes but me and my guys secretly hunt the big once at night and use them for pepper soup. To date, nothing as happen to any of us. Infact, the village elders are suppose to inform the villagers that their ancestors practiced these tradition for the purpose of protecting snakes from extinction and not funny story that can not be proven.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by achi4u(m): 9:18am On Jul 08, 2013
tjskii:

D tin go dey chase u for dream with cane,till u confess and do d needful undecided undecided tongue
taa! odeshi

nothing dey happen, it depends your believe.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by emmygod: 9:19am On Jul 08, 2013
The only sacred animal in igbo land is a bird called vulture. It is sacred because it eats bad things and even rotten human beings. The bird was forbidden by fore fathers because they believe it is evil Any other sacred animals re god to people. They worship it. Pay homage. Shame of educated illitrate in igboland. I still thank udi in Enugu where i served. Totem believe is gone. Anambra re more fettish than Enugu. They have a lots of sacred worship. These people dont even know. Some part of Enugu like nssukka re still fettish. I love enugu. Most peaceful. I enjoyed stay in service year.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 08, 2013
I agree,its cuz of d roads and structure chime is building and Obi is doing same but let's go to ur villages and knw how far! D way u Enugu beef Anambra makes me wonder if we are all igbos! Na wa o
NEROSKY:

You made me comment.... When it comes to civilization don't compare Enugu WIf anambra.... Enugu na New York wher anambra dey....
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 08, 2013
Yes it is most peaceful and yesterday u pple had the guts to kill 2 Bigard seminarians,na God go punish una and am sure u r one of d killers with d kind of hatred stored up in ur hrt for Anambra pple.shame on u . mind u the deceased are my chilhood frnds and from Oji river,Inyi to be precise.and pls, Igbos have notin to do with vulture and nsukka I know today have lost the traditional religion
Btw this thread is all about okposi in particular,y attack Anambra,u this WAWA man!!
emmygod: The only sacred animal in igbo land is a bird called vulture. It is sacred because it eats bad things and even rotten human beings. The bird was forbidden by fore fathers because they believe it is evil Any other sacred animals re god to people. They worship it. Pay homage. Shame of educated illitrate in igboland. I still thank udi in Enugu where i served. Totem believe is gone. Anambra re more fettish than Enugu. They have a lots of sacred worship. These people dont even know. Some part of Enugu like nssukka re still fettish. I love enugu. Most peaceful. I enjoyed stay in service year.
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by nairacountry(m): 9:33am On Jul 08, 2013
@op, nice write up dear but as amiebeauty rightly put, NOT all girls are available as "bush allowance"
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 08, 2013
Nice write up bro,categorically stating d fact and truth unlike these 2 enugu boys let me not generalise(nerosky and emmygods) forcing civilization on themselves!slave mentality! Mtchewww have u ever seen a wise man shouting *come one come all,come and see the wise man* lol only a fool does that
shevon: Guys beware: Not all the green snake you see in my village (Okposi) is revered. The OP should have stated categorically that Aka is the one the people gives its space.
My maternal uncle (now deceased) happened to be the one in charge of the shrine established for it in Ngbom Enu by the people of Okposi (and he is the last male in their lineage, so I don't know how the thing would be handled now)
Anyway, folklores have it that Aka has always been around but the respect of the people grew for it when the white men invaded my village and Aka trooped out in it's hundreds and chased them out of the area.
But like every other thing revered by people, there is a kind of spirituality associated with it, which makes the people insist it be given a burial similar to that of humans. So many religious people have tried killing it while damning the consequences and had had things happen to them: Some ran mad, others fell ill with unexplainable diseases; some who even killed it without mentioning it were tormented till spiritually till they confessed and the usual rites were performed.
Some people even speak to it and it listens (I've witnessed it when one of my old aunt was warning it when it slid into our compound when we were around, she was warning it that if anything happens to it that it was on its own as we - the kids - don't know it is and the snake went away immediately)
I'm not trying to scare anybody, neither am I saying the snake is anything of importance to me as an individual cos I don't believe it has anything to offer me, but like my mother (bless her soul) will always tell us, "Give onto Cesar what belongs to Cesar and give onto God what belongs to God. Stare clear of the snake and it will stay away from you"
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Eluala(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2013
Excellent writing skills. When are you publishing your first book?
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Nascimento(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2013
Hmm snake pepper soup
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by Cityofdavid(m): 10:09am On Jul 08, 2013
Eluala: Excellent writing skills. When are you publishing your first book?

thanx bro, I'm working on my debut Novel titled
"Peter's Diary"
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by takeprofit: 10:09am On Jul 08, 2013
Cityofdavid: When my NYSC call up letter requested me to report at Ebonyi state, I leaped for joy because I wasn't posted to the North where the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents were rampant. I once thought that the only thing worthy of dread was the Boko Haram sect, but it has occurred to me that Boko Haram is just one of the many unsualiness in parts of Nigeria. The most memorable moment during my odyssey to Ebonyi state from Lagos was the point when my vehicle crossed the river Niger which borders Delta State and Anambra State. The memories of Chinua Achebe's novel "Chike and the River" nostagically swept accross my mind like erosion on Benin roads. I recalled how the adventurous Chike crossed the Niger and providentially emerged a hero following his effort in helping the police to nab the leader of a notorious gang of robbers. But unlike Chike who crossed the Niger out of cheer curiousity, I crossed the river Niger for the first time in the quest of serving my fatherland. While on the Niger bridge, it became instinctive that I'd encounter things (fair and foul) that would be worthy of documentation. One of such things has created in me an uncontrollably drive which has forced me to commit my pen to paper.

The NYSC camp in Afikpo, Ebonyi State may not be the best total institution in the world but the lessons I learnt in the camp were priceless. The psyche of the NYSC programme presented a regimented life which involved physical drills, skill acquisition, national orientation, patriotism and self-reliance. Mixed feelings trailled my departure from the camp to a destination which my posting letter revealed to be Okposi in Ohaozara Local government. The road which linked Afikpo town to Ohaozara must not be travelled by a truck conveying crates of eggs because of the unmotorable state of the road. The desolate state of the hamlets along the road painted a vivid picture of rurality, or rather, it supported the disorted NYSC acronym which has it as "Now Your Suffering Continues". The fact that my suffering has continued was alarmed by two female corps members who wept helplessly in the vehicle. The ladies were crying because like every corps members posted to Ohaozara local government, they have been stripped off their modernity as well as their urbanized way of life.

We arrived Okposi few hours after midday. The town seemed to be the most developed region in Ohaozara local government. The town has motor parks, restaurants, a hotel, a police station, churches, markets, petrol stations among others. The roads within the town were motorable, the people were Igbo speaking and quite industrious. The villagers were hospitable to corps members and the females were readily available to meet the sexual needs of male corps members. One thing fascinated me about the social life of the Okposi people in Ohaozara local government. The fascination arose from their reverance of green snakes in private and public places.

It is highly forbidden to kill green snakes in Okposi while it is forbidden to kill any species of snakes in some other parts of Ebonyi State. The green snakes of Okposi must not be killed given any circumstances. The reason being that, green snakes were worshipped by the ancestors of the land. Green snakes could be seen as frequently as Lizards are seen in South-Western Nigeria. Green snakes creep into rooms, churches, car parks, compounds etc and they are not killed. A stranger is mandated to conduct a burial ceremony if he or she intentionally or unintentionally kills a green snake. This queer custom of the Okposi people has invalidated my initial view that snakes were wild animals. A senior corps member narrated the story of how a green snake crept into his church during a certain sunday service and how the snake was only pampered out of the church auditorium.

The hospitality shown to green snakes in Okposi has advanced the sociological views that what is "wild" or "domestic" is cuturally determined. Before you start labelling the custom of the Okposi people as barbaric and archaic, think about the unusualiness in your own society, think about the fooliness of some of your own beliefs. Indeed, the way of life of a people vary from one geographical area to the other. I would have loved to continue my ethnographic writings but I've to feed the green snakes approaching my reading table now.

Visit and LIKE my page for more articles. Thanx.
http://facebook.com/thesocialmicroscope

confirms the fact that one day lions and goats would be friends..

New International Version (©2011)
The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.
Isaiah 11:6
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by moscobabs(m): 10:21am On Jul 08, 2013
wat if i put snake poison around my house and the snake took it and die....i beg wat will hapen
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:44am On Jul 08, 2013
ACM10:

[size=16pt]Now, let me tell you this,

YOU ARE NOT CIVILIZED!

You worship God/god that is a figment of men imagination. You are not different from white supremacist. Your definition of civilized is when someone worships your god. They don't worship green snakes, but it is their sacred animal. The sacred animal in my town, Ogidi in Anambra state is python. Your town is not more sophisticated or civilized than us. Have respect for people custom and tradition.
[/size]

[size=16pt]GBAM![/size]
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by VicGoodGuy(m): 10:51am On Jul 08, 2013
Nightshift: Etorom na Umungasi - St Paul's area. We also lived at Hospital and Okigwe Rds. And you?

Lordave: Danfodio road behind Enyimba stadium.
Odi ok, dalu nwanne

Chaii! Aba ma ndi Aba! Ngwa rd. Repping. Ndoki rd pry sch. When Aba was still Aba. Hehehehe
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:52am On Jul 08, 2013
waldigit :

mr pagan, you may be right there about us xtians. Its because the scripture says suffer not a thief to live, if u don't pay tithe u are a thief! mal 3.
Yes to snake thing, if the practice of snake fellowship by oposi pple or any other pples is borne out of idolatery, the pple like macedonia pple in days of paul need deliverance. Whatever is the benefit now or in the past is just devils bait to enslave them and lead them to hell, and its not worth eternity in hell or their soul.
Almost every family of the world became devil worshiper, after the fall, Jesus said its for this reason he was manifested to stop the act of devil worshiping. Shalom

why should I pay tithe to a jew worshipper? are you mad? are you trying to blackmail me in my own country

please jarre, it doesnt work like that. if thats the case, then you are thief as well, for not sacrificing to the Gods.

deliverance from what? go deliver yourself to the mental asylum first. respecting animals is devilish, but raping innocent children in church is not devilish, eh?

what fall? have you any sense? your bible says that the world is only 6000 years old. owever we have evidence from cave paintings ,etc., that our Stone age ancestors worshipped Pagan Gods way before that, and even before the birth of adam, noah or abraham.

this is not devil worshipping. we dont even believe in your devil. you believe in the devil, so that make YOU a devil worshipper.

and stop saying "SHALOM". don't expect the israelis to give a "nigger" like you , Israeli passport. angry
Re: The Green Snakes Of Okposi, Ebonyi State by rubi96(f): 11:11am On Jul 08, 2013
@poster that one is small na compared to the Njaba snake in Isu Njaba Of Imo - State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Wodaabe People / Meet Taiwo Oyebola Agbona, Regent Of Aaye Town In Ondo State / Oba Obateru Akinruntan's Rolls Royce (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.