Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (682410 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by justwise(m): 1:54pm On Jan 29, 2018
@All

Please keep discussion open here to help this thread grow like USA birth thread, the insane request for PM and dropping of contact details is killing this thread.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hamddy: 11:31am On Jan 30, 2018
A number of times questions asked are not being responded to on-time I guess that's the reason for the quietness in my opinion.

justwise:
@All

Please keep discussion open here to help this thread grow like USA birth thread, the insane request for PM and dropping of contact details is killing this thread.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by justwise(m): 1:40pm On Jan 30, 2018
hamddy:
A number of times questions asked are not being responded to on-time
I guess that's the reason for the quietness in my opinion.

People have a job you know?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by megastu(m): 6:30pm On Jan 30, 2018
I dont think you would have problems as long as you have travelled to canada before.

My kids visa approval took just 4 days.
ToffeeDrop:
Hello @Hotstepper and ALL,

i have been following the nairaland thread on giving birth in Canada and have read all 57 pages however noticed there has been no recent (within the last 3 months or so) post on people’s poe experiences. So i am officially asking for info from anyone who has passed through canadian poe recently for birth. Particularly those who didn't declare birth purpose.

Please see my situation below

I applied for a visitor visa in November with intention to travel in December with my husband (and then in March for child birth).

I stated my purpose of travel in the form that we were planning on going for xmas to visit family (my sister is a canadian citizen and my brother has PR status there)

I have travelled to Canada 2ce previously so i didn’t think the visa process will take longer than 1 month as it didn’t take long previous applications.

The visa came after the intended December travel date so we cancelled December plan.

Now I plan to travel for the birth in March at 33 weeks and want to know what people’s recent experiences have been at poe in very recent months

Do you think i should mention intention of child birth in addition to family visit at poe?

I plan to travel with more than enough cash On Hand as i have seen the estimates from previous posts and will be accompanied by my mom who has been in and out of canada more frequently than i have (she was there as of early Dec 2017)

Would appreciate advise from the gurus
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Olalacious: 12:19pm On Feb 01, 2018
Start with the first thing by applying for the Visit VISA as early as you can.

Make sure to have all supporting docs to show proof that you can financially afford childbirth there and strong enough ties that you will return back home after your child birth. You can also submit proof that you paid fully for your childbirth care in the US when you had your first child as they may be wondering why you are not going for your second child in US. Find a way to mention that you wil be availing medical service in Canada on your application so all is clear to them.

While your appliation is ongoing, mkae sure you are researching Location to stay, and doctor at the same time as well as accomodateion etc. Dont wait till u get the visa before you start this process.

Wish you the best...

Mrsc22:
Congrats.

I am planning to have baby num 2 in Canada. I had baby num 1 in US.

Have u figured everything out? Accommodation, doctor and all

I still 8weeks. I want to start now. Wit Visa application and all. Please i need any info i can get.

Thanks

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by manlikegb: 8:45am On Feb 05, 2018
Amiableada:
thank you so much dear. i sent them a mail telling them i cant make it to lagos especially now. they replied that they will let me know when i will come for the interview.hoping for the best and Amen to your prayers

Good day @Amiableada, I hope this finds you and your LO well. I noticed you haven't posted on NL for almost a year, I just would like to know the outcome of the interview you got invited to about your TRV and was your visa re-instated eventually. I feel you haven't done any wrong and there might be valuable lessons to learn from your experience. Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Focusmind: 10:47am On Feb 06, 2018
Hotstepper:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

All you need is there

Hello Hotstepper, do I need to download the forms, fill them and submit to the VFS office in Lekki?

Do I fill the form directly real time online and submit - if going through this route, how do I pay for the visa fees and biometric? Do I still need to go to the CVAC/VFS office in lekki for the visa and biometric payment?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Omodadi2: 10:30am On Feb 07, 2018
Focusmind:

Hello Hotstepper, do I need to download the forms, fill them and submit to the VFS office in Lekki?

Do I fill the form directly real time online and submit - if going through this route, how do I pay for the visa fees and biometric? Do I still need to go to the CVAC/VFS office in lekki for the visa and biometric payment?

If you had clicked in the link, most questions you asked here would have bin answered since she said all you need is there. However, yes for paper route, download, complete, submit at VFS and do biometrics. If you submit online, you can also pay online with your card, then go to same office for biometrics with a letter that will be sent to you after application confirmation. Hope this helps
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Focusmind: 5:14pm On Feb 07, 2018
Omodadi2:

If you had clicked in the link, most questions you asked here would have bin answered since she said all you need is there. However, yes for paper route, download, complete, submit at VFS and do biometrics. If you submit online, you can also pay online with your card, then go to same office for biometrics with a letter that will be sent to you after application confirmation. Hope this helps

Well done! Omodadi - you answered well. Will they collect my international passport at the VFS office as well or is it when my application is approved that I bring the international passport?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Omodadi2: 10:54pm On Feb 07, 2018
Focusmind:

Well done! Omodadi - you answered well. Will they collect my international passport at the VFS office as well or is it when my application is approved that I bring the international passport?

If it's paper, they collect your passport. But if online, you hold your passport till visa is approved.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Focusmind: 11:18am On Feb 08, 2018
Omodadi2:

If it's paper, they collect your passport. But if online, you hold your passport till visa is approved.

Thank you Omodadi

One more clarification please - If I apply online, can I still go to VFS and pay for the visa and biometric fees in naira at their office in Lekki or must the payment be online through card in Canadian dollar since the application was online?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 11:25am On Feb 08, 2018
Focusmind:

Thank you Omodadi

One more clarification please - If I apply online, can I still go to VFS and pay for the visa and biometric fees in naira at their office in Lekki or must the payment be online through card in Canadian dollar since the application was online?

Online too.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Focusmind: 12:37pm On Feb 08, 2018
OmoBendel24:

Online too.

Thanks - I appreciate
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dazzing: 12:33pm On Feb 09, 2018
Dear forum contributors, thank you for sharing all your experiences. I have been a silent follower of this thread since July 2017, and I benefited greatly from the forum. I would like to share my own experience so others can benefit and particularly shed some light on areas that may not have been adequately covered in the forum.

First thing is that I read the entire forum discussion from page one until the fifties. I got my visa some years back, I was given till the end of my passport. I have been to Canada before, therefore when I went for birthing it wasn’t my first time in the country. I had an interesting experience as the hospital I registered and went for ANC is not the same hospital I delivered at, as my labour came unexpected in late night. There was a mild snow storm (December weather so expected) so we couldn’t drive to far to my original hospital, I went to the hospital closest to me which was the famous Brampton civic hospital. My original plan was Stevenson memorial in Alliston.

TIP 1: register in a hospital close to your house as anything can happen.

I rang the doctors whose details was shared on this forum and true to what has been mentioned, both Dr Grace and Dr Abou, said they do not take non-OHIP patients anymore. Dr Kayode still does, but I didn’t use him. I also rang the Amma mid-wives services and their fees is CAD 4600. This excludes the hospital fees if you do decide to have a hospital delivery, also I opted not to use them. Below is break down of my expenses:

Epidura – CAD 500
Doctor fees – CAD 2,350 (this is a combo of the doctor fees who did my check ups and the delivery fees on the day)
Hospital fees – Brampton 2600 (i.e. 200 registration, 400 baby, 2000 my hospital day fee) Stevenson 500 (registration fees for non-resident)
Baby check-up CAD 300 – (i.e. 50 for baby doctor fees after delivery, 200 full baby check-up at mother and child clinic, 50 for walk in centre baby check-up a few days after)
Total for the above medical is 6250

Other expenses include several uber trips. I was with a relative so my costs on that was covered I also had a friend who gave me some free ride when opportune, but we did have a CAD 450 bill for uber hospital visit just as an illustration of that particular expense.
Lifelab – CAD 107, tests for myself
TIP: Please do not do any ‘out of your way’ tests in Nigeria, cause it’s so expensive as rubella alone labs in Abuja were telling me between 35 and 45,000 naira.

Documents
Long and short certificate – CAD 35 & 25 respectively
Intl Canada passport – CAD 107 (hubby did go to Abuja consulate to sign a form)
Nigeria ETC – CAD 137 (includes my express post and return envelope cost). I got good service with them; I rang a few times to tell them it was real urgent as I applied for all my documents two weeks before my departure date. It took them two days to process and post back.

TIP 2: Clarification on applying long and short certificate on line.
I wish someone had told me that on the website I should just go ahead and fill out the form and pay the fees as there is no option for payment for expedited service for a new-born. I almost made an error and wasted money, but thankfully that was averted.
Pretty much what every other person has shared is the standard process for birthing in Brampton. I’ll say additional CAD 1000 for other expenses including documentation. It could be more for others, please note I stayed at a relative (so no cost for rent, feeding and Wi-Fi) and I had my phone line, so cost of that CAD 35 x four months (internet on this package was weak so you may have to get a more expensive option if you need solid internet for when you outside). Canada phone set cost CAD 80.

TIP 3: a phone line makes your ‘ubering’ experience easier.
Sorry this post is getting too long, I just wanted to put in as much as I could. I spent almost four months, and I just returned this early February. Also baby won’t get health card, expect resident in country for over 150 days. Best of Luck to other expectant mothers.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dazzing: 12:40pm On Feb 09, 2018
megastu:
I dont think you would have problems as long as you have traveled to Canada before.

My kids visa approval took just 4 days.

From my understanding of what others have shared and gone through including myself, if you have a lot of cash on you, and you declare giving birth, then you should be okay. If your visa was for visiting and now you saying giving birth, that's the one I m not to sure of. If you are already showing then you may want to declare, but remember it is not a crime to give birth in Canada. I think someone else should comment about if you requested visiting on visa and now you want to give birth, will there be issues or not. I think this is the real question. Most people who declared usually already did similar from their application. I hope I helped o, sorry if I confused you more.

Sorry this is in response to Toffeedrop question about POE.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 1:46pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hi @dazzing, thank you so much for this detailed briefing of your experience.

I’m currently in Canada and awaiting the arrival of my bundle of joy; so your post is indeed timely.

I just wanted some clarifications on your tips / expenses below:

- Stevenson registration of $500, did you get a refund since you didnt end up using them as earlier anticipated?
- Brampton Civic, I’m guessing you just showed up and doctor on duty attended to you and you were billed whatever it cost for that doctor? Or was it the doctor you were supposed to originally use at Stevenson that still attended to you?Was it a hassle to sort out registration amidst your labour? Did you have to pay all before you wete attended to?
- Doctor’s fee was 2,350: did this cover all your antenatal visits prior to delivery? How far long were you when you made your first doctor’s visit? Would you mind sharing your doctor’s info here?
- Any particular reason why you didn’t use Dr Kayode? I’m currently considering using it but his fee is 3,500 so I wouldn’t mind any cheaper rate really.
- Lifelab: what tests exactly did you have to do? Did you need a scan too? If yes, was this covered in the 150 you mentioned earlier?
- documentation: how long did it take to finally get baby’s long and short birth certificates since there’s no expedited services for newborns? How long after delivery did you apply for them? I’m asking because I currently wish to return to base 3 weeks after delivery but I also want to know how realistic this plan is please.
- when you say book a hospital that is close to the house, what’s your definition of close, 30mins? You see I come from England and everywhere is close to everywhere but I know this is not a yardstick in Canada so a little clarification will be helpful. My friend thinks 30 - 45mins is close though�

Apologies for long questions, I just want be sure I’m making an informed decision. Thank you.

I’ll return with my experience when I’ve gathered them all

dazzing:
Dear forum contributors, thank you for sharing all your experiences. I have been a silent follower of this thread since July 2017, and I benefited greatly from the forum. I would like to share my own experience so others can benefit and particularly shed some light on areas that may not have been adequately covered in the forum.

First thing is that I read the entire forum discussion from page one until the fifties. I got my visa some years back, I was given till the end of my passport. I have been to Canada before, therefore when I went for birthing it wasn’t my first time in the country. I had an interesting experience as the hospital I registered and went for ANC is not the same hospital I delivered at, as my labour came unexpected in late night. There was a mild snow storm (December weather so expected) so we couldn’t drive to far to my original hospital, I went to the hospital closest to me which was the famous Brampton civic hospital. My original plan was Stevenson memorial in Alliston.

I rang the doctors whose details was shared on this forum and true to what has been mentioned, both Dr Grace and Dr Abou, said they do not take non-OHIP patients anymore. Dr Kayode still does, but I didn’t use him. I also rang the Amma mid-wives services and their fees is CAD 4600. This excludes the hospital fees if you do decide to have a hospital delivery, also I opted not to use them. Below is break down of my expenses:

Epidura – CAD 500
Doctor fees – CAD 2,350 (this is a combo of the doctor fees who did my check ups and the delivery fees on the day)
Hospital fees – Brampton 2600 (i.e. 200 registration, 400 baby, 2000 my hospital day fee) Stevenson 500 (registration fees for non-resident)
Baby check-up CAD 300 – (i.e. 50 for baby doctor fees after delivery, 200 full baby check-up at mother and child clinic, 50 for walk in centre baby check-up a few days after)

Other expenses include several uber trips. I was with a relative so my costs on that was covered I also had a friend who gave me some free ride when opportune, but we did have a CAD 450 bill for uber hospital visit just as an illustration of that particular expense.
TIP: Please do not do any ‘out of your way’ tests in Nigeria, cause it’s so expensive as rubella alone labs in Abuja were telling me between 35 and 45,000 naira.

Documents
Nigeria ETC – CAD 137 (includes my express post and return envelope cost). I got good service with them; I rang a few times to tell them it was real urgent as I applied for all my documents two weeks before my departure date. It took them two days to process and post back.

I wish someone had told me that on the website I should just go ahead and fill out the form and pay the fees as there is no option for payment for expedited service for a new-born. I almost made an error and wasted money, but thankfully that was averted.
Pretty much what every other person has shared is the standard process for birthing in Brampton. I’ll say additional CAD 1000 for other expenses including documentation. It could be more for others, please note I stayed at a relative (so no cost for rent, feeding and Wi-Fi) and I had my phone line, so cost of that CAD 35 x four months (internet on this package was weak so you may have to get a more expensive option if you need solid internet for when you outside). Canada phone set cost CAD 80.

Sorry this post is getting too long, I just wanted to put in as much as I could. I spent almost four months, and I just returned this early February. Also baby won’t get health card, expect resident in country for over 150 days. Best of Luck to other expectant mothers.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by AyaTiraj(f): 8:49pm On Feb 09, 2018
dazzing:

Epidura – CAD 500

Documents

Please what hospital did you use and how can I send you a mail please
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by AyaTiraj(f): 8:54pm On Feb 09, 2018
Geeagu:

I’m currently in Canada and awaiting the arrival of my bundle of joy; so your post is indeed timely.

- Stevenson registration of $500, did you get a refund since you didnt end up using them as earlier anticipated?
- Brampton Civic, I’m guessing you just showed up and doctor on duty attended to you and you were billed whatever it cost for that doctor? Or was it the doctor you were supposed to originally use at Stevenson that still attended to you?Was it a hassle to sort out registration amidst your labour? Did you have to pay all before you wete attended to?
- Doctor’s fee was 2,350: did this cover all your antenatal visits prior to delivery? How far long were you when you made your first doctor’s visit? Would you mind sharing your doctor’s info here?
- Any particular reason why you didn’t use Dr Kayode? I’m currently considering using it but his fee is 3,500 so I wouldn’t mind any cheaper rate really.
- Lifelab: what tests exactly did you have to do? Did you need a scan too? If yes, was this covered in the 150 you mentioned earlier?
- documentation: how long did it take to finally get baby’s long and short birth certificates since there’s no expedited services for newborns? How long after delivery did you apply for them? I’m asking because I currently wish to return to base 3 weeks after delivery but I also want to know how realistic this plan is please.
- when you say book a hospital that is close to the house, what’s your definition of close, 30mins? You see I come from England and everywhere is close to everywhere but I know this is not a yardstick in Canada so a little clarification will be helpful. My friend thinks 30 - 45mins is close though�

Apologies for long questions, I just want be sure I’m making an informed decision. Thank you.

Please what hospital are you using
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Christine77: 9:52am On Feb 10, 2018
Thank you for sharing!

dazzing:

Epidura – CAD 500

Documents

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Omodadi2: 12:44pm On Feb 10, 2018
AyaTiraj:
Please what hospital did you use and how can I send you a mail please

What did you read in the write up then?

3 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by OmoBendel24: 1:00pm On Feb 10, 2018
Omodadi2:

What did you read in the write up then?

Aswearit down cheesy!

5 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dazzing: 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2018
Hello I will try to respond to all your questions as best as I can:

- Stevenson registration of $500, did you get a refund - NO I didn’t, I didn’t even ask for one, from the hospital or the doctor whom I initially met. The relative I stayed with advised me not to pursue any refunds that things happened as God wanted it. And I don’t think they would have given me a refund since I still visited there a few times for my ANC. This fee also means I am registered with them anytime, so I doubt a refund applies.
- Brampton Civic, I’m guessing you just showed up and doctor on duty attended to you and you were billed whatever it cost for that doctor? - YES this is exactly what happened. I called my original doctor when I was in pain and he told me to go to the nearest hospital, I thought it was false labour because we were expecting the baby later, but as God will have it, everything happened so fast.
- Was it a hassle to sort out registration amidst your labour? No I was with a relative who did this for me, I was in too much pain to even know all of these was going on.
Did you have to pay all before you were attended to? No, once I registered I was attended to, then they informed us of the costs and we said we could pay. We paid after the delivery but I think my relative went to withdraw cash before the actual delivery started. Sorry but my memory of this is unclear, remember I was in labour. I do know that actual giving money to attendings and receipts was after my baby was out sha. I don’t think it would have been ethical for them to refuse me care until I paid, I don’t think they can do that in civilized countries.
- Doctor’s fee was 2,350: did this cover all your antenatal visits prior to delivery? YES, remember this is total doctor’s fees spent, I ended up using two doctors
- How far long were you when you made your first doctor’s visit? End of seven months/beginning of eight thereabouts
Would you mind sharing your doctor’s info here? Are you located near Alliston? This doctor is based in Alliston, which is very far from Brampton, one hour
- Any particular reason why you didn’t use Dr Kayode? I wanted to but my relative’s friends told me not to, but if it’s only me, I probably would have. He was initially the most affordable option when I did my initial check.
- I’m currently considering using it but his fee is 3,500 so I wouldn’t mind any cheaper rate really: My initial guy is no cheaper, especially if you include his epidura which he said is from 300 - 900 (note kayode's fee includes epidura). And I m not evn sure what his doctors fees is as I never ended up using him till the very end. It was one conversation that I got to a point were I had to ask my relative to continue that line of discussion with him.
- Lifelab: what tests exactly did you have to do? Several, similar to what others have mentioned in the previous forum like HIV, HEPTATIS, blood work, rubella, I think that’s a standard.
Did you need a scan too? Sorry I forgot that, I came with my scan results from Nigeria, but the doctor still did regular scanning during ANC (he didn’t charge me for that, he just used his machine to check the baby was okay). Cost of scan in Canada is however also above CAD 100 (sorry I can’t recall exact costs)
- documentation: how long did it take to finally get baby’s long and short birth certificates since there’s no expedited services for newborns? [/b]Good question. Five working days, but for me I checked my PO box late so it took me like nine days. You know what I did which was very helpful and I ‘d advise you do same too is, to call them and ask on the status of your application and tell them how urgent it is, because without the certificate you can’t apply for other documents.
[b]How long after delivery did you apply for them?
I wouldn’t advise you follow my method because I had over a month to stay after delivery. I will say the next day after you come out of the hospital go online and apply. You can probably get it in 4 business days if you do this.
- when you say book a hospital that is close to the house, what’s your definition of close, 30mins? YES 30 mins is my definition of close

Geeagu:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 7:43pm On Feb 12, 2018
@Dazzing your reply is very detailed. I’m very grateful. I’ll take on board all you’ve advised. No I’m actually at Mississauga and I don’t think it’s close to Allison but I’ll ask my friend. I think I may just stick with Dr Kayode, my appointment with him is tomorrow but I’ll see.

God bless you and the little one.

Meanwhile for others who might find this useful: I hear Brampton Civic just brought up a new policy last week that might mean you’ll have to deposit certain amount of money before you get treated. The gist is some Nigerian or some people use the hospital and disappear.

dazzing:
Hello I will try to respond to all your questions as best as I can:

- Stevenson registration of $500, did you get a refund - NO I didn’t, I didn’t even ask for one, from the hospital or the doctor whom I initially met. The relative I stayed with advised me not to pursue any refunds that things happened as God wanted it. And I don’t think they would have given me a refund since I still visited there a few times for my ANC. This fee also means I am registered with them anytime, so I doubt a refund applies.
- Brampton Civic, I’m guessing you just showed up and doctor on duty attended to you and you were billed whatever it cost for that doctor? - YES this is exactly what happened. I called my original doctor when I was in pain and he told me to go to the nearest hospital, I thought it was false labour because we were expecting the baby later, but as God will have it, everything happened so fast.
- Was it a hassle to sort out registration amidst your labour? No I was with a relative who did this for me, I was in too much pain to even know all of these was going on.
Did you have to pay all before you were attended to? No, once I registered I was attended to, then they informed us of the costs and we said we could pay. We paid after the delivery but I think my relative went to withdraw cash before the actual delivery started. Sorry but my memory of this is unclear, remember I was in labour. I do know that actual giving money to attendings and receipts was after my baby was out sha. I don’t think it would have been ethical for them to refuse me care until I paid, I don’t think they can do that in civilized countries.
- Doctor’s fee was 2,350: did this cover all your antenatal visits prior to delivery? YES, remember this is total doctor’s fees spent, I ended up using two doctors
- How far long were you when you made your first doctor’s visit? End of seven months/beginning of eight thereabouts
Would you mind sharing your doctor’s info here? Are you located near Alliston? This doctor is based in Alliston, which is very far from Brampton, one hour
- Any particular reason why you didn’t use Dr Kayode? I wanted to but my relative’s friends told me not to, but if it’s only me, I probably would have. He was initially the most affordable option when I did my initial check.
- I’m currently considering using it but his fee is 3,500 so I wouldn’t mind any cheaper rate really: My initial guy is no cheaper, especially if you include his epidura which he said is from 300 - 900 (note kayode's fee includes epidura). And I m not evn sure what his doctors fees is as I never ended up using him till the very end. It was one conversation that I got to a point were I had to ask my relative to continue that line of discussion with him.
- Lifelab: what tests exactly did you have to do? Several, similar to what others have mentioned in the previous forum like HIV, HEPTATIS, blood work, rubella, I think that’s a standard.
Did you need a scan too? Sorry I forgot that, I came with my scan results from Nigeria, but the doctor still did regular scanning during ANC (he didn’t charge me for that, he just used his machine to check the baby was okay). Cost of scan in Canada is however also above CAD 100 (sorry I can’t recall exact costs)
- documentation: how long did it take to finally get baby’s long and short birth certificates since there’s no expedited services for newborns? [/b]Good question. Five working days, but for me I checked my PO box late so it took me like nine days. You know what I did which was very helpful and I ‘d advise you do same too is, to call them and ask on the status of your application and tell them how urgent it is, because without the certificate you can’t apply for other documents.
[b]How long after delivery did you apply for them?
I wouldn’t advise you follow my method because I had over a month to stay after delivery. I will say the next day after you come out of the hospital go online and apply. You can probably get it in 4 business days if you do this.
- when you say book a hospital that is close to the house, what’s your definition of close, 30mins? YES 30 mins is my definition of close

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Olalacious: 11:00am On Feb 13, 2018
Hi Dazzing,

Congrats on the succesfful birth of your little one and thanks for sharing your experience here with us and the important tips you have given wink wink.

I am sure this will be useful for anyone looking to birth soon in canada.

I am preparing for my trip in the next couple of months to Oshawa and will come to share my experience by Gods grace,

Safe deliveries to all expectant mothers out there

Cheers
dazzing:

Epidura – CAD 500

Documents

2 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by shynzee: 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2018
Geeagu:
@Dazzing your reply is very detailed. I’m very grateful. I’ll take on board all you’ve advised. No I’m actually at Mississauga and I don’t think it’s close to Allison but I’ll ask my friend. I think I may just stick with Dr Kayode, my appointment with him is tomorrow but I’ll see.

God bless you and the little one.

Meanwhile for others who might find this useful: I hear Brampton Civic just brought up a new policy last week that might mean you’ll have to deposit certain amount of money before you get treated. The gist is some Nigerian or some people use the hospital and disappear.

First time here, but been reading up.

Its listed on their website now. 3 days hospital stay fees is required as a deposit.

http://www.williamoslerhs.ca/patients-and-families/preparing-for-your-visit-or-stay/billing-and-patient-accounts/hospital-rate-schedule

Update is effective January.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Btiiis: 1:14pm On Feb 13, 2018
@hotstepper
I have never been to Canada. I don't have families in Canada either.
I am 5 weeks pregnant and want to give birth in Canada.
What are d procedure and what is the cost?

Thanks in Anticipation
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 3:10pm On Feb 13, 2018
Thanks Shynzee for the update. I appreciate

[quote author=shynzee post=65029509][/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 12:29am On Feb 14, 2018
Everything u have asked is on this thread. take out time nd read every page

Btiiis:
@hotstepper
I have never been to Canada. I don't have families in Canada either.
I am 5 weeks pregnant and want to give birth in Canada.
What are d procedure and what is the cost?

Thanks in Anticipation

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2018
Happy to see some life on this thread since my last login...

Thanks Dazzing....very detailed and informative guide.

Madam Geeagu, wow I was also at Ayodeles yesterday....im just reading this thread now, would have looked out for you....we may have even seen sef....ill dm you let's plan together

This brampton civic new law ogaaa ooo, after paying Ayodele 3500cad, they expect someone to just deposit another 9000cad just like that....although they said they will refund any balances....lets see how it goes..

Anyone with better alternative around that area, pls let's know. I got a good doc at 1600cad using orangeville, but orangeville hospital cost is 4500 per night for mother and baby and extra 1500cad per surgery hour for ceasaerian birth...completely insane....

For all intending sojourners, oshawa is the way to go o... cheaper accomodation, cheaper doctors fees.

My poe was really smooth as most processes at the airport are now automated, there's little interactions with cpd officers....the q&a session with cpd is now done on a computer, you just type in your answers to questions...even secondary food inspection is automated, foods are scanned before pick up....(tip)...bring in as much food as possible, they don't reject food anymore....i hear they are trying to embrace the multi-ethnicity they preach....i dint know this before coming so I just brought few food items.....e pain me o

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 11:52pm On Feb 15, 2018
Hi Dserious,

They are yet to get back to me on actual cost of deposit to make but Dr Kayode said it wouldn’t be a problem. From their website, deposit should be 7,800 for 3 nights for both mother and child. But I’m waiting to hear back from the secretary though about the hospital’s decision and way forward.

I’m in Mississauga and it’s close to Brampton, I’m careful not to get a hospital that’s too far off just in case labour starts at odd hours.

I didn’t see your dm, perhaps just send me an email (chinyereagu@gmail.com). We can rub minds.

For POE, it might depend on what airport you arrive. There are automated process in place in Toronto where I landed but I still got asked questions especially why I want to birth in Canada and not UK which is my usual place of residence. The first POE officer said UK has fantastic healthcare which is true so it’s a bit different from how healthcare in Nigeria is perceived. So I had to defend my decision to give birth here which was not necessarily easy. I was even passed onto another officer (the point where deportation happen) but I was too hot and tired to even be afraid and also cos I was aware I wasn’t doing anything illegal. I emphasised the fact that I have a good paying job and a husband to go back to in England and that I already contacted their colleagues in England who guaranteed me that it wasn’t illegal, that all I needed was show that I can cover my bills although ultimate decision lies on the POE officer.

In terms of food, I didn’t bring any so can’t really comment. I’m staying with a friend so accommodation and feeding are not issues.

Meanwhile, I’ll say to confirm all the tests they need you to do and do them before you come especially if you can save cost (for me all my tests are free where I reside so it definitely would save me extra cost). It’ll also save you the stress of looking for and attending lab (not much of a hassle but again anything to avoid additional stress right?).

I hope someone finds this information useful.

dserious:
Happy to see some life on this thread since my last login...

Thanks Dazzing....very detailed and informative guide.

Madam Geeagu, wow I was also at Ayodeles yesterday....im just reading this thread now, would have looked out for you....we may have even seen sef....ill dm you let's plan together

This brampton civic new law ogaaa ooo, after paying Ayodele 3500cad, they expect someone to just deposit another 9000cad just like that....although they said they will refund any balances....lets see how it goes..

Anyone with better alternative around that area, pls let's know. I got a good doc at 1600cad using orangeville, but orangeville hospital cost is 4500 per night for mother and baby and extra 1500cad per surgery hour for ceasaerian birth...completely insane....

For all intending sojourners, oshawa is the way to go o... cheaper accomodation, cheaper doctors fees.

My poe was really smooth as most processes at the airport are now automated, there's little interactions with cpd officers....the q&a session with cpd is now done on a computer, you just type in your answers to questions...even secondary food inspection is automated, foods are scanned before pick up....(tip)...bring in as much food as possible, they don't reject food anymore....i hear they are trying to embrace the multi-ethnicity they preach....i dint know this before coming so I just brought few food items.....e pain me o

3 Likes

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by manlikegb: 4:24am On Feb 16, 2018
Geeagu:
Hi Dserious,

They are yet to get back to me on actual cost of deposit to make but Dr Kayode said it wouldn’t be a problem. From their website, deposit should be 7,800 for 3 nights for both mother and child. But I’m waiting to hear back from the secretary though about the hospital’s decision and way forward.

I’m in Mississauga and it’s close to Brampton, I’m careful not to get a hospital that’s too far off just in case labour starts at odd hours.

I didn’t see your dm, perhaps just send me an email (chinyereagu@gmail.com). We can rub minds.

For POE, it might depend on what airport you arrive. There are automated process in place in Toronto where I landed but I still got asked questions especially why I want to birth in Canada and not UK which is my usual place of residence. The first POE officer said UK has fantastic healthcare which is true so it’s a bit different from how healthcare in Nigeria is perceived. So I had to defend my decision to give birth here which was not necessarily easy. I was even passed onto another officer (the point where deportation happen) but I was too hot and tired to even be afraid and also cos I was aware I wasn’t doing anything illegal. I emphasised the fact that I have a good paying job and a husband to go back to in England and that I already contacted their colleagues in England who guaranteed me that it wasn’t illegal, that all I needed was show that I can cover my bills although ultimate decision lies on the POE officer.

In terms of food, I didn’t bring any so can’t really comment. I’m staying with a friend so accommodation and feeding are not issues.

Meanwhile, I’ll say to confirm all the tests they need you to do and do them before you come especially if you can save cost (for me all my tests are free where I reside so it definitely would save me extra cost). It’ll also save you the stress of looking for and attending lab (not much of a hassle but again anything to avoid additional stress right?).

I hope someone finds this information useful.

@Geeagu, thanks for sharing your experience. I'd like to ask a few questions..
1. Did u get your visa for tourism or did you mention childbirth in your application?
2. Did they make any reference to your visa application on whether you mentioned childbirth intentions when you applied for the visa?
3. I know the CBP officer allowed you in eventually, but what can you deduce from all the questioning and what convinced them to allow you entry?

Thanks for your time.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (167) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.