Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

What Are The Lessons From Egypt? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What Are The Lessons From Egypt? (9642 Views)

Photos: Giant Snake Killed In Egypt Red Sea / Haunting Pics From Egypt Crisis.(warning) / UK is Hiding billions of Dollars Stolen from Egypt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Neaman(m): 2:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
D ballot is mightier the bullet.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by devour129: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: No room for poor performance again. You perform badly, and you are booted out.
and also time for Nigerians to do the same,enuf ranting
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by akogunakinniyi: 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
The major lesson is that anarchy and violence is no solution to human problems.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Venchy: 2:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
Stand up for your right and don't chicken.

KICK OUT THE ASSHOLE IN NIGERIA.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by mankand(m): 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
take dat: Why should we look toward Egypt, a nation with no democratic experience? The popularity rating of a president may be low, but that does not mean he should be removed through unconstitutional means. The president needs a majority only when elected, not at every subsequent moment and even if at all the president was to be removed either because of gross abuse of power or incompetence, it should be by legal means except you believe that rule of law is a myth and democracy is a lie!

What is happening now in Egypt is NOT a military coup. It's the People's Revolution against a fascist, fanatic regime. 33 million Egyptians are out in the streets to kick Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood OUT once and for all.
The Egyptians have spoken out of free will to change this country around. The army is by our side to protect us and to protect our beloved Egypt.

What's happening in Egypt is a real revolution it is not a military coup and the authority will be handed as per law to the Head of the Constitutional court for a limited period till they have a new fair election.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by nijanigga: 2:32pm On Jul 04, 2013
Important lesson is that Nigerian youths are cowards and prefer to hang on to blackberries and androids handsets than fight for their rights. Living standards are far better off in Egypt than in Nigeria,yet the people will fight. Unlike in Nigeria, Gej,David Mark, Tinubu,akpabio and co are looting freely ,yet,Nigerian youths prefer to pick up the crumbs dropped for them by these looting politicians. Let me ask,how far with Bank-ole, saraki and the oil subsidy probe or the oil subsidy strike?
Nigeria-awash.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by vedaxcool(m): 2:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
lesson is when a revolution happendix always wait for the next term b4 converting in an election else foolish people will blame u for problems u had no hand in creating.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nigerians, stop being slaves! Get-up! Stand up!Kick out cluelessness/i dont give a damn!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by chyket(m): 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
A wrong precedence has been set here for Democracy.In Democracy,if your Leader is not doing well,you wait for him in the next election and vote him out.I will never support a mass action-induced Military Coup.Instability will now continue to strive in that Country.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by gabriel212: 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2013
First of all, Morsi was anounced winner of the election on the 24th of June 2012 with 51.7% against Ahmed Shafik, and came to power on 3oth of June 2013.
The problem Morsi was combating was the issue of drafted constitution which gave high support to muslim, muslim leader in community to oversight activity in their arena, and the president isolated the judiciary from oversight on his Presidential role.
Lesson learnt.
1.Nigeria is a multilateral religion state therefore, our leader should not field same religion into office
2. Learnt to carry every body along in ur govt. neva isolate even the opposition group. coz, Muhammed Yusuf( Founder of BOKOHARAM) started as one voice in the forest to become a problem to the nation.
3. NEVA BE CARRIED AWAY BY SYCOPHANT. DY AGREE WT YOU WHILE THE BEAT IS ON N QUARANTINE THEM SELF WHEN THE BEAT IS OVER!!!
my little cents.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by MARKREN: 2:46pm On Jul 04, 2013
The biggest mistake anyone will make is to compare Egypt with Nigeria. We are innately selfish and greedy people and this has been with us since independence, only amplified with every generation as we get older as a country. There are 2 categories of Nigerians "Those in positions of Power & Influence & Those waiting to get into those positions of Power & Influence". Everyone complains about how bad the system is, how those in charge are ruining everything, but deep down we are waiting for our turn to run things and get our own piece of the largesse.

We claim to be one of the most religious people in the world but lack any sense of morals. We lie, cheat, kill, rig, etc. and justify it in the name of religion. We have religious leaders who no longer preach morals or good behavior but prosperity. Therefore if you get into any position of influence, God has blessed you and u must do everything to get your own share of the loot. And guess what it is ok as long as you give 10% or higher to your Pastor or GO or Imam or better still build a cathedral or mosque for your religious faith, purchase a private jet, cars, houses and all sort of ostentatious effects for our clergy, while poverty stare us in our faces everyday. We do not believe in charity except if it is for our churches or mosques.

We are ready to sell our conscience for any piece of silver (At least Judas sold his for 30 pieces). Every Friday & Sunday I watch people attend religious services & come out the same way they entered. This is the reason why countries who are less endowed & religious than we are continue to make progress while we continue to go to churches and mosques to pray for our problems. We are waiting for God or his so-called messengers to perform miracles to solve our numerous problems forgetting the age old adage “God helps those who help themselves”. We even have a Minister of Power- a Professor of Engineering who during his interview told the Senate how he will “fight the demons & witches” who have constituted themselves into a cabal that has sabotaged the Power Sector in Nigeria. Imagine this statement coming from a so called Professor- This tells you the level of hopelessness in this country where all our problems are attributed to one witch in the Village or one demon in our family and we sit & fold our arms waiting for God upstairs to come & “deliver” us, making more silly statements like “God help Us or in God we trust”
Nigeria will never change. If you read books on Nigeria history (which we hardly do in this part of the world) you will understand that all our problems have been there since 1960. Name it Corruption, Ethnicity, Tribalism, Nepotism, Greed, Religious Violence, and we have never sat down to study them and find lasting solutions. Why Because it is not in our individual selfish interests.

The lesson is simple when people sit down and do nothing they cannot expect change to happen like we expect in this country.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Capnd143(m): 2:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
lesson: nigerians only know how to rant of nairaland, fb and twitter bt no action! What happened to the #OccupyNigeria campaign? Long gone . . . Yet we crave for change! Change isn't coming overnight; yes, bt we have 2 start today, tell your brothers, tell your sisters, we are tired of the gov't! ChangeWeNeed, pack up for nationwide protest and yes; YesWeCan, if i can then you can, if you can the together YesWeCan. #OccupyNigeria @NigerianSpring

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by anonimi: 2:59pm On Jul 04, 2013
take dat: Lesson: A democratically-elected leader is illegitimate, the rule of the mob is sacrosanct grin

Should we take the above, which aligns with Tinubu's political philosophy of using thugs and touts even against late Gani Fawehinmi or should we take this one below:

take dat: What Nigeria need is neither mob action nor military coup but political education to elect the right leaders and make them accountable! What distinguishes constitutional democracy from mob action is that orderly processes are followed!

I can agree with the bit about political education.
However, please note that what happened in Egypt is NOT mob action. You had committed people, including many middle class professionals telling Morsi he OVERSTEPPED by trying to play DICTATOR Pharaoh.
When you win elections you should learn to take into consideration the views of ALL your compatriots especially when you did not have a landslide.

African leaders have to take note as it will be our turn some years down the line.
Western Europe started theirs a few centuries back and Eastern Europe some 30 years ago. Maybe Asia will have a taste first before Africa, who knows?
You cannot hold the people enslaved FOREVER!!!
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by omenka(m): 3:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
One lesson: the will of a determined people cannot be supressed even in the most dictatorial system.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by duality(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
mankand:

You have not started using effective powers of democracy because you all choose to vote through mediocre and sentiments. You dance with them on campaign grounds to collect 2 Derica or Rice and 1ltr of groundnut oil with few cubes of maggi and in addition they give you N1, 000 to go home with.

When you have a leader that can say boldly "I don't give a damn" what do you do? You elected him there, will you keep praying to God to remove him for you when you placed him there by your own hands? God is too busy to be meddling into such errands.

You talk about constitutional means, I just concluded that you are a self centred person, you only care about yourself, have you thought about the hope of the common man? the less priviledged? Nah i think to you, they are the minority.

Seriously, I doubt if I can help you.
Firstly, Your statements tells me you are excluding yourself from Nigerians. Are you a foreigner? what is "YOU ALL" ?

Secondly, I'm not one of the emotional type when it comes to politics hence I don't pitch my tent with any political group. I look at things dispassionately and make my decisions.

Thirdly, what is it with you and the statement "I don't give a damn" Please when making reference to it, use it relative to the context it was used. Besides, when the president made the statement he used it; stating that the issue was a matter of personal principle.(public declaration of asset).The way you refer to the statement is somewhat politically skewed.

I am not a sycophant. I'm able to make objective judgement. If we have an elected leader, my personal opinion, is to give the person a chance to excel, give necessary support and suggestions, constructive criticism, and against all odds project a positive image of our society and government. If at the end of his tenure, I feel the person has not done enough, we vote in someone who we think can do better. This will not generate politics of hate as we experience presently in Nigeria.

I remember that this administration has not fully constituted its cabinet when some folks started talking about 2015. I knew then, that their was going to be problems.

Finally, In 2015 Nigerians should make their evaluations and vote based on that. Until then, Lets stop heating up the polity and focus on collective development.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Novice1(m): 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
The best comment and most accurate analysis of our affairs. I doff my hat for you sir.

MARK-REN:
The biggest mistake anyone will make is to compare Egypt with Nigeria. We are innately selfish and greedy people and this has been with us since independence, only amplified with every generation as we get older as a country. There are 2 categories of Nigerians "Those in positions of Power & Influence & Those waiting to get into those positions of Power & Influence". Everyone complains about how bad the system is, how those in charge are ruining everything, but deep down we are waiting for our turn to run things and get our own piece of the largesse.

We claim to be one of the most religious people in the world but lack any sense of morals. We lie, cheat, kill, rig, etc. and justify it in the name of religion. We have religious leaders who no longer preach morals or good behavior but prosperity. Therefore if you get into any position of influence, God has blessed you and u must do everything to get your own share of the loot. And guess what it is ok as long as you give 10% or higher to your Pastor or GO or Imam or better still build a cathedral or mosque for your religious faith, purchase a private jet, cars, houses and all sort of ostentatious effects for our clergy, while poverty stare us in our faces everyday. We do not believe in charity except if it is for our churches or mosques.

We are ready to sell our conscience for any piece of silver (At least Judas sold his for 30 pieces). Every Friday & Sunday I watch people attend religious services & come out the same way they entered. This is the reason why countries who are less endowed & religious than we are continue to make progress while we continue to go to churches and mosques to pray for our problems. We are waiting for God or his so-called messengers to perform miracles to solve our numerous problems forgetting the age old adage “God helps those who help themselves”. We even have a Minister of Power- a Professor of Engineering who during his interview told the Senate how he will “fight the demons & witches” who have constituted themselves into a cabal that has sabotaged the Power Sector in Nigeria. Imagine this statement coming from a so called Professor- This tells you the level of hopelessness in this country where all our problems are attributed to one witch in the Village or one demon in our family and we sit & fold our arms waiting for God upstairs to come & “deliver” us, making more silly statements like “God help Us or in God we trust”
Nigeria will never change. If you read books on Nigeria history (which we hardly do in this part of the world) you will understand that all our problems have been there since 1960. Name it Corruption, Ethnicity, Tribalism, Nepotism, Greed, Religious Violence, and we have never sat down to study them and find lasting solutions. Why Because it is not in our individual selfish interests.

The lesson is simple when people sit down and do nothing they cannot expect change to happen like we expect in this country.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Dee60: 3:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nothing.

Nigerians do not think about their country except when the Super Eagles are playing. Nigerians think only about themselves. There are 170 million individuals in Nigeria, each man minding his own thing and running his own show, generaing his own power, pumping his own water, and running his own personal economy.

Egyptians love their country and are area ready to make their leaders accountable. Here in Nigeria, it is chop i chop, everyone is on the queue for his own turn to chop, and no one wants to rock the boat?

Do we really have a nation?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by emydot(m): 3:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
Honestly, Egyptians no dey fear o, if protest start for naija and police start to shoot,everybody go run comot,but for Egypt, dem no dey fear to die o. How many people Police wan kill for Egypt during protest. That is true democracy o.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by toshmann(m): 3:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Afam4eva: Nigerians have to learn to make their leaders accountable.
Yes but not by inviting the military to kick out a democratically elected govt.

Democracy should have means through which poor govts are removed from office without military intervention.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by anonimi: 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
toshmann:
Yes but not by inviting the military to kick out a democratically elected govt.

Democracy should have means through which poor govts are removed from office without military intervention.

I beleive it was JFK, a democrat, who said:

Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.

Morsi closed the avenues for democratic change and was playing tin-god Pharaoh.
The people did not invite the military. The military had to rescue the country from slipping into further chaos.
Moreover it is the equivalent of their Chief Justice who is now heading a TRANSITIONAL government that will hold elections later.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by toshmann(m): 3:26pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dee60: Nothing.

Nigerians do not think about their country except when the Super Eagles are playing. Nigerians think only about themselves. There are 170 million individuals in Nigeria, each man minding his own thing and running his own show, generaing his own power, pumping his own water, and running his own personal economy.

Egyptians love their country and are area ready to make their leaders accountable. Here in Nigeria, it is chop i chop, everyone is on the queue for his own turn to chop, and no one wants to rock the boat?

Do we really have a nation?

Emphasis is on the last sentence. Most Nigerians think of themselves as either Hausa/Igbo/Yoruba/Efik/TiV/jukun/idoma/etc. which rival each other. that leaves almost no one to think of Himself as Nigerian (unless he is outside the country) .
Hence if we have a bad leader, when the people should stand up against bad leadership, the people from the bad leaders ethnic group/state/ LGA etc will defend even indefensible actions of the bad leader. How can nigerians revolt. Revolution needs national unity.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Reference(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
I think when you've finally tasted power after a long period of starvation do not grab it with both hands but leave one hand to shake those benovalent enough to let you taste it. If it applied to OBJ perhaps he will have done more. If it applied to GEJ perhaps they would have let him alone in peace. But for those knocking on the door perhaps in time to come this lesson will matter most.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by ndcide(m): 3:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
Reference: I think when you've finally tasted power after a long period of starvation do not grab it with both hands but leave one hand to shake those benovalent enough to let you taste it. If it applied to OBJ perhaps he will have done more. If it applied to GEJ perhaps they would have let him alone in peace. But for those knocking on the door perhaps in time to come this lesson will matter most.

You have spoken the truth.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Instead of GEJ to focus on his performance and let it speak for him he employs people like Rossik sincer9gerian taharqa and co to do d job of selling his abysmal performance to the public. Now Morsi has been overthrown and he is panicking. Does he need to panick? Instead of his ppl here to note the complaints of people and pass the mssg to him, they insult us and call ppl dumb for having an opinion. They want ppl to blindly agree with them that Mr president is doing well when the evidence is staggering that he is not.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by PStacks(m): 3:59pm On Jul 04, 2013
I watched one Movie "Gladiator" its the Story About a General that was forced into Slavery, from Being a Slave he was forced to fight for his life as a Gladiator. So, it was a General that became a slave, and a slave that became a Gladiator and Gave ancient Rome back to the People... In the Movie, Marcus Aurellius had conquered a larger part of the world as the then Roman Empire Ceaser..
All Aurellius ever wanted was to grant "Power to the People"

PDP's slogan is "Power to the People".. That is to tell you that, in any democracy, the people have the final say.. Power must always be with the people.. But its so unfortunate that in Nigeria, Power is in the hands of just a very few elite... Well personally, what av learnt from Egypt, no matter how bad it is... Power must always be with the people..

We would never have Power in Nigeria unless we hold our leaders accountable..

If we are too fearful and cowardly as a Nation to risk a Full blown Revolution, then GEJ should declare a State of Emergency on the Nation as a whole.. Stop Business as Usual mentality..

Declare a State of Emergency on the Power Sector, the Aviation industry, the Federal roads, Health care, Education..

Power must always be with the people.
But God bless Fela Anikulapo Kuti who described Nigerians as "Suffering and Smiling" people. The people of egypt are suffering but the refuse to smile about it.

Until we demand that power lies with the people, the world would advance and leave us in the dark age. As I talk, there's no electricity in my house and I am scared my fone would go off and I can't charge it..

Obama said Africa needs electricity to bring her out of Darkness..

But what do we know to do as Nigerians? Come to nairaland and make noise and that's it.. We are a powerless people and powerless we shall remain..
God bless egyptians that have choosen to bear the pains today and reap d gains tommorow as it is often said.... "No pain No gain"

No nigerian wants to die but everybody wants a better Nigeria.. Its so sad, its a pity and a shame on Nigerians.. A country blessed yet so cursed.. A rich country yet so poor.. Crude oil yet no refineries, teaming youth yet high unemployment.. High man power and human resource yet brain drain and industries shutting down.. Plenty churches and Mosques yet religious violence.. Nigerians are the most church and mosque going people I know in the world yet very backward in time..

Obama didn't come to nigeria because he wants to associate himself with the success story of Africa and not the Failures of africa.. I will never blame the kenyan born poor Barrack who didn't visit kenye too cos of Uhuru kenyata's case in the international court..

So, what I learnt from egypt is that "the power must always be with the people"

Yes they voted him in, and even if its a coup'd'etat, yes they can vote him out.. The peoples voice must count.. In Nigeria, our voices ends only on nairaland and in our bedrooms.. Shameless cowardly people..
Until we take our destiny in our hands, we will keep Nose diving till we become a Failed state..

Already Ngozi Okonjo iwela is begining to say Govt might crash in September if Senate doesn't pass budget.. Weda senate pass budget or senate doesn't pass budget, Nigeria is on a crash course..

I'm sorry if I have offened anybody's sensibility but that how I feel and that's my opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion cos its a democracy at least a Naijiocracy.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by abduldope(m): 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
ask GEJ dat 1 grin
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by poyet(m): 4:09pm On Jul 04, 2013
Laws should focus on economic developments; politicians should be careful when handling the populace; and the military are a great weapon, through civilians, to fight evil-controlled politicians
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by 1009ja: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2013
Poverty and illiteracy are holding Nigeria back from true democracy.
The corrupt politicians prey on the ill-developed political head of the average Nigerian.
A few naira notes and their rented thugs help them stuff a ballot box and the fake results get announced
by an equally corrupt and inept INEC, often headed by a vice chancelor of a university who has perfected his or
her own corrupt ways by extorting money from students via illegal fees and handout enforcements. And the people have to live with the looting gangsters masquerading as political leaders from Abuja to all the states. Imagine house helps stole $200,000 cash from the bedroom of Goodswill Akpabio. Since when did Nigeria's official currency become the US dollar?
And the cycle continues. Consolation! Every bad dream comes to an end upon awakeness. Mubarak did whatever
he liked from 1981 till 2011. And wham, the Egyptians had enough. I have tremendous confidence that Nigerians
are going to be TOTALLY fed up pretty soon and there will be that one moment when one SINGLE Nigerian will ignite this gun powder that has been boiling beneath and in every Nigerian heart. The ethnic crap that the politicians have used to perpetuate themselves will not be strong enough to hold back the unleashing demand for true Nigerian freedom. CORRUPTION by the political elite is driving the total disdain for the government of the people of Nigeria by the masses at all levels. The EFCC can keep fooling itself, filling the pages of newspapers with how many Yahoo Yahoo boys it is arresting. It cannot fool Nigerians. We know who are stealing our public money. They are not the Yahoo Yahoo boys.
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2013
The Egyptians must be commended for what they have achieved. The human spirit can not be suppressed for ever...these people have decided never to allow any group of people under whatever guise to deny them of their freedom.

Some of the haves on this forum are actually afraid of mass action( which they have called mob action) in Nigeria. But i think there may be need for an episode of such in order to set things right a bit....

Talk later jare!
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by lekkie073(m): 4:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Lesson number one: don't joke with the armed forces grin
Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by Dantedasz(m): 4:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
Never think the coming or coming back to power of the military is to save your economy or your country. The military are humans and their predatory instincts will always make them treat Egypt as a conquered territory.
They will always claim they intervened to save the country when in actual fact they are intervening to serve themselves.
The military aborted the democratic process in Nigeria in 1983 and refused to hand back power till 1999 after extreme pressure and protests, and they left the polity worse than they met it.
Egypt will learn their lesson sooner than later.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Lessons From Egypt? by nora544: 4:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
MARK-REN:

I live in an country where we had nothing 1945, and the first president speak at christmas to the people "i can give you nothing, no food, no wood for the stove, no glas for your windows but people belive in this country....... and this give the people hope and power to make something and now we are under the richest countries in the world.

The people in nigeria dont belive in there country that is the big problem, they belive more in miracles.......

I see it from outside when i speak with people from nigeria the belive more in there pastors and bishops and imans than in the country and when there is a problem pray and fast.....

I have friends from egypt and they didnot like what mursi make, they go on the streets together muslim and christian.

A country where this so called great man of god can only tell the people pray and fast but i never hear work, go on the street when something in the goverment is not okay or the goverment makes something what is not good for the poor. This great man of god see only money money money like your goverment.

A country like nigeria which could make so much make nothing, but n naigerians hope with praying and fasting all will come better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Egyptian President Mursi Sacks Army Chief Tantawi! / Obama Or Romney- Who Would You Vote For? / Ghana Has One Of The Worst Economies In The World. (forbes List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.