Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career (33183 Views)

Habits And Ways Of The Rich And Successful / How Successful Nigerian Made It; How You Can / Young And Upcoming Professionals, Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
adisa_segun: I just don't know how you people are just senseless, what has Ibadan got to do with what we are discussing? Is Arisekola not successful? Is Bode Akinjide not successful? There are so many successful people in Ibadan than that the village where you came from, Bastards

Mr Adisa (typical Ibadan name cheesy), he was only pulling someone's legs smiley

Don't so him pepper

4 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by bokoarerams: 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus:

My brother u have said it all. U can see hw ibadan people think, we have not said anything someone has started shouting bastard, do want ur son to be like mr adisa? D answer is no.Mr Adisa (typical Ibadan name cheesy), he was only pulling someone's legs smiley

Don't so him pepper
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 04, 2013
lekkie073: If u r in a rush to be successful at a young age, why not try money ritual. angry

"O de tun ri iyen so o"
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by obstead200(m): 7:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
@ 0P '
IF you think that education in highbrow schools is all It takes (or even One of what it takes ) to be successful in Life then you are so unbelievably daft and clueless
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by comrides(m): 7:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
So what are we expected todo??
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
LUCK. The hand of God.. That's all I believe.
Turning nothing into something is God's work and U get nothing without struggle and hardwork........ Nas
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Musibauadedeji: 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
d top is a very challenging height to attain though! undecidedd top is a very challenging height to attain though!
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 04, 2013
adisa_segun: I just don't know how you people are just senseless, what has Ibadan got to do with what we are discussing? Is Arisekola not successful? Is Bode Akinjide not successful? There are so many successful people in Ibadan than that the village where you came from, Bastards

Lol
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Akaraiwe(m): 7:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
TheRealMrStan: [size=14pt]COSCHARIS, IBETO, EKENE DILI CHUKWU, ORANGE DRUGS,ABC TRANSPORT and co...their CEOs did not finish secondary school.[/size]
Coscharis finish higher institution,orange drugs na pharmacist,ABC na pilot before before.
I get what u trying to say,u may not really need the certs to get there. Phd on the streets too can get u there!

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by WinkWrld: 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2013
Nigerian career includes music. What is success? Success is impacting the future generation with your actions and fame of today. And when such action and fame translates to good wealth for you and your family making you live amongst the rich and wealthy in society. Examples of successful kids whizkid, olamide, dbanj, Davido , 2face, don jazzy. Etc I am sure these kids are successful and did not school in havard
.when the ED's MD's etc need entertainment they pay heavily and when these rich kids Ned to invest their monies they pay heavily to these MD's too.
So the whole idea of success should be redefined not to focus on 9-5 jobs only grin grin grin
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
WinkWrld: Nigerian career includes music. What is success? Success is impacting the future generation with your actions and fame of today. And when such action and fame translates to good wealth for you and your family making you live amongst the rich and wealthy in society. Examples of successful kids whizkid, olamide, dbanj, Davido , 2face, don jazzy. Etc I am sure these kids are successful and did not school in havard
.when the ED's MD's etc need entertainment they pay heavily and when these rich kids Ned to invest their monies they pay heavily to these MD's too.
So the whole idea of success should be redefined not to focus on 9-5 jobs only grin grin grin

I agree. But OP obviously meant 9-5 job, that's why responses were tailored to that regard.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by adconline(m): 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
Determination and tenacity of purpose take to you winners' circle, but you need networks, and contacts to meet CEOs,Kings and Queens,Captain of industries, deal makers and brokers. Reminds me of Leornado Di Carprio on how he met that lady who took him to a VIP banquet.
From my little experience with my vendors who are more established, if they introduce me or I just mention their names, folks I plan on doing business with, get reassured that they are dealing with the right person.U need a shipload of luck to make it on ur own without talent,networks, contacts and good education.
I have always believed that it's better to have a kid and provide him/her with the best education than having 3 kids and provide them with average.
I was having a late dinner/meeting with a CEO of a local oil servicing company at a friends's house around 2am, his phone rang, something had gone wrong in one of the wells his company was servicing for oil majors. With depth of his expertise, he calmly and professionally told his guys what should be done. He said that he gets midnight calls most of the times. I thought I was working hard until I saw that man telling his guys what to do. I used to get mad people would wake me up from sleep to discuss business. Most successful people love to work and don't complain about time.

9 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by CollinsLeSkillzMadumere(m): 8:06pm On Jul 04, 2013
Like it or not, understanding the principles behind making wealth by God is the main one. Ppl like Sunday Adelaja, Bishop Oyedepo, Pst David Ogbueli etc know these things and its working for them.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by kkash: 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2013
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Desric(m): 8:12pm On Jul 04, 2013
My dear they ve not really answered the OP's question, where were these guys before they became the celebrities that they are today, what were their background? Who were their parents? because I ve come to understand that most of these early millionaires in Nigeria especially those of the 80's and 90's do have either a favourable background or they benefited from the Corrupt Military era Largesse. Please if anyone has a concise profile of these guys, I am interested and will appreciate the information. Most times when you read about most Nigeria Millionaires profiles, you hardly can point their break even point, all you read or hear is how they ve become mega billionaires please advice and motivate the youths who wants or aspires to be like you in a positive way by telling us how u accessed your first capital, which I bet might be very difficult to say capital because in most cases you must find corruption or Government patronage.
Ibeto, Innoson, Ekene dili Chukwu, Tonimas etc are some examples of some self made millionaires if I am not mistaken, but the ones the OP mentioned, pls we need more info.
Afam4eva:
+1000

I don't know why anyone should say one has to attend Harvard to be successful in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by collynzo2(m): 8:20pm On Jul 04, 2013
Desric: My dear they ve not really answered the OP's question, where were these guys before they became the celebrities that they are today, what were their background? Who were their parents? because I ve come to understand that most of these early millionaires in Nigeria especially those of the 80's and 90's do have either a favourable background or they benefited from the Corrupt Military era Largesse. Please if anyone has a concise profile of these guys, I am interested and will appreciate the information. Most times when you read about most Nigeria Millionaires profiles, you hardly can point their break even point, all you read or hear is how they ve become mega billionaires please advice and motivate the youths who wants or aspires to be like you in a positive way by telling us how u accessed your first capital, which I bet might be very difficult to say capital because in most cases you must find corruption or Government patronage.
Ibeto, Innoson, Ekene dili Chukwu, Tonimas etc are some examples of some self made millionaires if I am not mistaken, but the ones the OP mentioned, pls we need more info.
Over to you Jarus, provide him with the needed info on your blog.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by joachine: 8:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Money
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by adconline(m): 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2013
Oga Jarus at the top! Are there young successful Naija Females too?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Horus(m): 8:37pm On Jul 04, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKnfEU6nqlE

Entrepreneurship Vision, by Aliko Dangote
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
Cultured: Well , from my own perspective and experience , the secret of becoming successful at young age/ at any age are as follows :

- Master an art through either formal or informal education and always remain innovative
- Imbibe self and continuous education - Leaders are readers ( although, not all readers are leaders )
- Live on your own opinion , because living on others opinion is the easiest route to failure and death
- Surround yourself with people who're more passionate and informed than you are in your chosen field ( chose your team wisely )
- Work hard , but never forget " Smart Work ", because it pays better
- Expansion is good but remember that it doesn't equal profit- profit is what will keep you going
- Positive mindset is also very important , because misinformation and misconception are very bad diseases

Lest I forget ,have it at the back of your mind that theory is different from practical and that experience remains the best teacher ( our prayer always is, may we never be consumed in the cause of experimenting ) . And "quitters never win " they say , but never forget/undermine " Surrender Tactics" , because at some point in the cause of your journey to success you will need it and when applied rightfully will lead you to the desired promise land . Good luck to all who aspires to become successful in life .

Bye the way , you don't necessarily need to attend any IVY league school neither at home nor abroad to become successful - having the privilege to attend one will only help to gloss that greatness which is already in you , for quick public consumption .

This is a masterpiece! The most sensible contribution on this subject matter . More wisdom to you bro .

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Olucheye(m): 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
Desric: My dear they ve not really answered the OP's question, where were these guys before they became the celebrities that they are today, what were their background? Who were their parents? because I ve come to understand that most of these early millionaires in Nigeria especially those of the 80's and 90's do have either a favourable background or they benefited from the Corrupt Military era Largesse. Please if anyone has a concise profile of these guys, I am interested and will appreciate the information. Most times when you read about most Nigeria Millionaires profiles, you hardly can point their break even point, all you read or hear is how they ve become mega billionaires please advice and motivate the youths who wants or aspires to be like you in a positive way by telling us how u accessed your first capital, which I bet might be very difficult to say capital because in most cases you must find corruption or Government patronage.

Thank you so much for coming up with this. You took it right out of my head. A whole lot of our Mega nigerian millionaires only tell us how big they are but little about how they started things out, how their background was like, hurdles they had to cross before they could call themselves comfy.
If Jarus could do us all a favor and include such questions while profiling them, it'll be of great benefit to an average man who aspires to be like them
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AjanleKoko: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
@OP,
It's feasible and possible to achieve such lofty heights. But you will have to be wise beyond your years, have an ability to recognize and seize opportunities, and above all be able to focus beyond normal.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Acidosis(m): 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
The definition of the word success (successsful) varies from individual to individual & only YOU can define your own success rate.

To some, it's getting a 5.00/5.00 CGPA

To others, it's all about "How much you can make"

To some, its TITLE; while to others, it's about FAME.

To some, its about business, and business; To others, it's about career and job

To some, its about innovations & invention; others, office and table work

To some, its about fat SALARY and allowances; others, CONTRACT and income.

To some, its about Politics; others, civil service and apointments.

What am I trying to say, the King of Agbor was crowned a King at a very young age, does that mean he is not successful because he didn't invent a Microscope? or because he's not a Bank C.E.O? NO Sir/Ma.

Only You can define your success rate..

12 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus:

Mr Adisa (typical Ibadan name cheesy), he was only pulling someone's legs smiley

Don't so him pepper
I'm not from Ibadan
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
I don't know about others but i think being successful at a young age has to do with your level of motivation and reason why you want to step out of the poverty zone, as well has your striving ability to achieve these goals...in some way or the other you must be ready to Grab any opportunity that seems progressive at any point of your life...like leaving school to take up a great business deal if it is really necessary for you to leave school...i think a lot of our billionaires today took that step.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.
all na thieves? most successful and young nigeria are bankers. how many are lawyers, engineers, health workers are among them?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2013
Olucheye:

Thank you so much for coming up with this. You took it right out of my head. A whole lot of our Mega nigerian millionaires only tell us how big they are but little about how they started things out, how their background was like, hurdles they had to cross before they could call themselves comfy.
If Jarus could do us all a favor and include such questions while profiling them, it'll be of great benefit to an average man who aspires to be like them

Fola Adeola, Tayo Aderinokun, Atedo Peterside, Jim Ovia, were not born with silver spoon, just from average family like me and you.

Fola got HND in Yabatech, Tayo Unilag, traveled abroad for few courses (it was easier to travel abroad in the 70's to early 80's), once you are a graduate, even with 2:2, many funding opportunities available, relatively few Nigerian gradautes then, little competition (so don't ask me how they got money to travel abroad). Came back, easily got jobs in First Bank, Savannah NAL mercahnt banks etc. easier to float a bank in 1989 (not sure you needed up to 100m). So it was easy to collaborate and raise the funds. Got the licences, came up with innovation the First and Union Banks of then could not do. They were able to attract young talents. Pronto, the mega banks were born!

Atedo was from a poor, or average at best, family in Rivers State. Attended Kings College. Brilliant, so able to gain LSE admission, traveled to UK for his first and secodn degrees, worked briefly and floated IBTC with a small office in Marina. It grew to become teh IBTC of today. Stepped aside when ovation was loudest in 2007 or so.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AjanleKoko: 9:27pm On Jul 04, 2013
Laalamed:
all na thieves? most successful and young nigeria are bankers. how many are lawyers, engineers, health workers are among them?

Quite a lot of lawyers are successful also. Like Koyinsola Ajayi, Eyimofe Atake, Udoma Udo-Udoma, etc. However, law is largely a pedigree profession, so a lot of these young lawyers are scions of successful lawyers.

Engineering and healthcare are mostly government-controlled in Nigeria. Telecom was only privatized in 1997. We have some successful people in telecom also, like Stanley Jegede of Phase 3, Wale Ajisebutu of 21st Century, Bruce Ayonote of Suburban, etc. Healthcare hasn't really emerged in Nigeria, still mostly controlled by government, and not fully liberalized. Due to our serious infrastructure deficit in Nigeria, there is very little that can happen when the business requires a lot of capital investment. Like engineering and healthcare.

You only hear a lot about the finance guys, because that is the way it is all over the world.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos) / Angry UBA Customer Grills Bank Staff Over Fraudulent Transactions In His Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.