Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career (33184 Views)

Habits And Ways Of The Rich And Successful / How Successful Nigerian Made It; How You Can / Young And Upcoming Professionals, Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 05, 2013
manie:

The money needed to establish a bank during Babangida's regime was 20 Million Naira which was not easy to come by at that point in time.

It was not easy to come by at that time, but it was quite easy to access and raise that fund; am sure if elumelu's and ovia's were ttrying to start a bank in our era of 25 billion capital base, they would have found it extremely difficult and impossible to raise that fund. There are still a lot of young chaps with the mindset of those guys who want to start up new banks in our era but the capital requirements is a very serious barrier.

The truth of the matter is that, the ovias, the elumelus, the petersides etc, took advantage of a very porous system and very easy to raise capital base, if those opportunities didnt present it self at that point in time, maybe, these new generation banks may not be existing.

Now, there are still some other sectors that would soon become a boom in few years to come; it now falls on the young savy chaps of this era to identify and exploit the porousness of those sectors to their own advantage and become the golden boys of their generation and era.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Adanyebe(m): 8:26am On Jul 05, 2013
lífe here in naija is very rigid for u to be thinking of success at a very young age... Consider how tough it is getting a Job afta graduating.... And how long it will take you to retire .... All you need is luck and the grace of GOD upon your lífe..... Just imagine somebody @ 73 not dreaming of retiring... May GOD help us all
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by BankuTilapia: 8:32am On Jul 05, 2013
It beats my imagination dat at diz day n age u don't know wot most nigerians do to be successful. cheesy grin
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 05, 2013
Banku&Tilapia:
It beats my imagination dat at diz day n age u don't know wot most nigerians do to be successful. cheesy grin

Plz enlighten us, we dont know
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by collynzo2(m): 8:34am On Jul 05, 2013
Banku&Tilapia:
They work hard unlike lazy Gaynaians.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Eneze1(f): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2013
I really gained a lot from reading people's comment, nice write up guys
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 05, 2013
Fully booked
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 05, 2013
@collynzo2, they work hard as in lifting blocks and mixing concrete?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Petraman(m): 9:16am On Jul 05, 2013
NICE TOPIC
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by krestup: 9:24am On Jul 05, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]GTB is a front for some ogas at the top who are ex-military dictators.
Did you ask where those who floated these new generation banks got the capital?[/size]

Even if it was the ex military dictators that has the money(am not saying it was them because i can verify it), but these me had the idea, they saw the opportunity. They took advantage of it. For me Even Mike Adenuga did the same thing.. It not about the school you attended but how well you can look for opportunities and take advantage of it.. Although there education gave them an advantage on how to manage the system. They were also expose to the western world, because the is a developed society and looking @ Nigeria it is till a developing nation. So they are still a lot opportunities, only if you could open your eyes to see.....
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by knightsamsong(m): 9:26am On Jul 05, 2013
free2ryhme: Did Obasanjo and Dangote schooled outside nigeria
dangote schooled in egypt and he is d grandson of alhaji dantata
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Urine: 9:30am On Jul 05, 2013
It's very simple, be smart and intelligent. One last thing, pray you meet a very strong oga at the top that trusts you. There's no way you can make it to the top @ a young age in Nigeria without the backing of a strong old man. Look around all the usual suspects have this in common.

Please note that this has nothing to do with your background.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by krestup: 9:33am On Jul 05, 2013
The idea is more important than the money, because even if you have the money and no idea, your money would just be sitting where it is. Steve Jobs, Google guys, Facebook all started with an idea before they got financial backing. So you must believe in what you want to do.
Other important thing is networking, because networking is the key to quick success. Knowing the right people to contact would go a long way in helping you. I think that is something these men know how to do.....
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Urine: 9:35am On Jul 05, 2013
krestup: The idea is more important than the money, because even if you have the money and no idea, your money would just be sitting where it is. Steve Jobs, Google guys, Facebook all started with an idea before they got financial backing. So you must believe in what you want to do.
Other important thing is networking, because networking is the key to quick success. Knowing the right people to contact would go a long way in helping you. I think that is something these men know how to do.....

Your last paragraph makes a lot of sense.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by hunkydory(m): 9:41am On Jul 05, 2013
Orikinla: [size=28pt]The most successful young men and women in Nigeria did not go to Harvard or any Ivy League school and were not bred in America or Europe, but in Nigeria.
Deji Adewunmi, Lekan Olude and Opeyemi Awoyemi, founders of Jobberman and Jumia co-founders Raphael Afaedor and Tunde Kehinde are proudly made in Nigeria.[/size]
We are talking of "Men" you are talking of "boys".
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 05, 2013
The truth is that, in Nigerian context, it's almost impossible for one from poor or an average home with no connection up there to rise to the top that's why we see the rich gettin richer and the poor, poorer. This is where the advantage comes in to play.

In the area of entertainment,ther're thousand and one people who write better songs than that of Davido, Wizkid and the likes, but the financial opportunity to get to studio and release the tracks are thier major setbacks. If Davido didnt come from a rich home, may be, just may be, he wouldnt av reached where he's today. Same goes to other young folks who've enterpreneurial acumen but a start up capital dooms thier visions. Background here matters alot. It's one indisputed advantage!

Luck also plays a major role in one's success in life.

Talent also is a major way of attaining success in life if properly followed.

Creativity is also dynamic in success whenever and wherever.

God's guidance. When u allow urself to be guided by God, he opens ways for u.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Wilfredng: 9:46am On Jul 05, 2013
leunamme93: Following
Same here.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Desric(m): 9:49am On Jul 05, 2013
Empero1:

This is a masterpiece! The most sensible contribution on this subject matter . More wisdom to you bro .

since you know all these things, then why is your name not in the forbe's billionaire list or are you over aged?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by sayitout1: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2013
The altimate answer is in Psalm 1:1. Take it or live it.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Desric(m): 10:16am On Jul 05, 2013
mobuch:

It was not easy to come by at that time, but it was quite easy to access and raise that fund; am sure if elumelu's and ovia's were ttrying to start a bank in our era of 25 billion capital base, they would have found it extremely difficult and impossible to raise that fund. There are still a lot of young chaps with the mindset of those guys who want to start up new banks in our era but the capital requirements is a very serious barrier.

The truth of the matter is that, the ovias, the elumelus, the petersides etc, took advantage of a very porous system and very easy to raise capital base, if those opportunities didnt present it self at that point in time, maybe, these new generation banks may not be existing.

Now, there are still some other sectors that would soon become a boom in few years to come; it now falls on the young savy chaps of this era to identify and exploit the porousness of those sectors to their own advantage and become the golden boys of their generation and era.
I will still ask this question to you, since you know all this much, what's the name of your company and what are you into? pls let me know how you got your capital because thats my major problem right now, all i need is just about 2 to 10million naira, anyone that comes first i ve got lots of business ideas to invests on with nice locations. i dont have job yet and i dont know any oga at the top but i am a graduate accountant with a b.sc(hons). anybody with funding capacity can contact me on ihemdyke25@yahoo.com.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 05, 2013
[quote author=Desric]since you know all these things, then why is your name not in the forbe's billionaire list or are you over aged?[/quote

You don't know me in person , or do you ? Anyways, this discussion isn't about my person , so let's leave it there . And for your information , as much as forbes are good in what they does , their annual billionaires compilation list does not always correctly represent true figure and people in the world billionaire circle - Slim Helu Carlos will tell you better in this regard . I wish you all the best .
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Lamasta(m): 10:33am On Jul 05, 2013
Orikinla: [size=28pt]The most successful young men and women in Nigeria did not go to Harvard or any Ivy League school and were not bred in America or Europe, but in Nigeria.
Deji Adewunmi, Lekan Olude and Opeyemi Awoyemi, founders of Jobberman and Jumia co-founders Raphael Afaedor and Tunde Kehinde are proudly made in Nigeria.[/size]
[b][/b]

EVEN THE RICHEST OF THEM ALIKO DANGOTE DID NOT KNOW THE 4 WALLS OF CLASSROOM STILL HE MADE IT IN BUSINESS, TO ME IT ALL STARTS WITH A DREAM AND A BURNING DESIRE TO ACTUALIZE THE DREAM COUPLE WITH SOME SUPPORTS AND RIGHT TEAM....
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AjanleKoko: 10:36am On Jul 05, 2013
Every era comes with its own opportunities.
The guys who made it in banking did because the season was ripe for that.
If you want to be successful as a young person, you must have discernment beyond your years. A lot of young people don't even know what's going on in the outside world while they are in school. They just come out and start running helter-skelter, looking for a job, any job. Young people should try to do holiday jobs, read newspapers, listen to the news a bit more, and watch Soundcity and Nigezeie a bit less. We can't all be Davido (who incidentally is a successful young man building his own brand).

4 Likes

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 05, 2013
AjanleKoko: Every era comes with its own opportunities.
The guys who made it in banking did because the season was ripe for that.
If you want to be successful as a young person, you must have discernment beyond your years. A lot of young people don't even know what's going on in the outside world while they are in school. They just come out and start running helter-skelter, looking for a job, any job. Young people should try to do holiday jobs, read newspapers, listen to the news a bit more, and watch Soundcity and Nigezeie a bit less. We can't all be Davido (who incidentally is a successful young man building his own brand).

Sir, thats the same point i am trying to make. Its left for us to identify sectors in nigeria that are still porous and easy to enter, and maximise the opportunities there, and then we can become the golden boys of our generation.

The power sector is the next boom, now the question is what areas in this sector can we harness the golden opportunities that would be inherent there?
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AlPicapcI(m): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.

God Bless you man, am enlightened tis morning.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by manie(m): 11:29am On Jul 05, 2013
mobuch:

Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun did not even have 1 million Naira when they started. I heard when Tayo said he and Fola used to complain about how tedious bank job was, he used to at a bar at Falomo before proceeding home somewhere on the Mainland. But when he stopped complaining and put on his thinking cap, his orientation about life and Nigeria changed.
When the opportunity to own a bank came they sold their cars, took loans invited people like Prof. Oyawoye, Chief Agbaje, Gbadebo Oshibodu and other people that believed in their dreams to invest in the bank.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by manie(m): 11:36am On Jul 05, 2013
manie:

Elumelu was seconded from an issuing house/ Investment bank that packaged the recapitalisation of Crystal bank. Rasheed Ladoja was the Chairman of Crystal bank when they ran into financial crisis.

When Crystal Bank was recapitalised by the issuing house, BGL made sure that her clients/workers of BGL bought bloc of shares in Crystal Bank. This bloc of shares now became the largest shareholding in Crystal Bank.
Clients/workers of BGL now deemed it fit to nominate someone from BGL to lead the management team of Crystal Bank, so as to ensure proper management of their funds.

Elumelu was nominated as the MD/CEO of Crystal Bank and one of the things he did was to change the name to Standard Trust Bank. Elumelu was en employee at BGL.

Till today BGL and UBA still have things in common. BGL equally has substantial shareholding in UBA.

But shareholders were not happy with the performance of UBA under Elumelu. His era was the time of never ending extra ordinary or exceptional expenses. The returns made by the company never trickled down to the shareholders and workers except top management.
But things are getting better in UBA.

Akingbola used the same strategy to take over WAPIC Insurance from the owners when Intercontinental Capital Market was the issuing house for the recapitalisation of WAPIC Insurance.

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 05, 2013
all those ppl mentioned were born with a degree of silver spoon, some just silver plated spoons and others are pure silver spoon, why not mention those ppl who worked their way up by another means apart from the wildly lucky chance of being born into rich homes. dangotes son has no choice other than making "it"..........

1 Like

Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by AjanleKoko: 11:43am On Jul 05, 2013
rigormortis: all those ppl mentioned were born with a degree of silver spoon, some just silver plated spoons and others are pure silver spoon, why not mention those ppl who worked their way up by another means apart from the wildly lucky chance of being born into rich homes. dangotes son has no choice other than making "it"..........

You think?
Fola Adeola's mother was a trader in Lagos, nothing more. He was from a polygamous home.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by manie(m): 11:46am On Jul 05, 2013
rigormortis: all those ppl mentioned were born with a degree of silver spoon, some just silver plated spoons and others are pure silver spoon, why not mention those ppl who worked their way up by another means apart from the wildly lucky chance of being born into rich homes. dangotes son has no choice other than making "it"..........

It takes some level of intelligence, discipline, hard-work, risk taking etc to turn your silver spoon to a golden spoon.
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by toye4eva01: 11:51am On Jul 05, 2013
did you read their profile well?
Tunde Kehinde's Education

Harvard Business School
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), General Management
2009 – 2011

Howard University
Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.), Finance, General
2000 – 2004
http://ng.linkedin.com/pub/tunde-kehinde/35/aa6/48

Raphael Afaedor's Education

Harvard Business School
MBA
2007 – 2009

IUKB -- Switzerland
Masters, Marketing/Marketing Management, General
2005 – 2006

Czech Technical University in Prague
BSc, MSc, Computer Science
http://ng.linkedin.com/in/raphaelafaedor?trk=pub-pbmap

jobberman guys are still indigenous
Re: How To Be Young And Successful - Nigerian Career by samseen02(m): 12:29pm On Jul 05, 2013
Jarus: Stories of young and successful that interest me more are those that never had headstart in terms of being put there by their parents or so (e.g Paddy Adenuga, Kola Abiola, Ladi Balogun etc), but those who were just average Joes and rose to high positions at young age.

Look at:

Atedo Peterside, founded IBTC in 1989 at 32
Fola Adeola (at 35) and Tayo Aderinokun (at 34) founded what is GTB today
Herbert Wigwe and Aig-Imhoukhude, both left GTB at 34 years of age, to found Access Bank. When they left GTB, they can't be less than AGM. So AGM at 34 was an achievement on its own.
Tony Elumelu was in his early 30's when he co-founded STB and became CEO.
Jim Ovia was also in his 30's when he founded Zenith Bank.

All these guys (except Wigwe and Aig) founded these banks 1989-1990. Before that time, we had the old school banks (Union, First, Wema, Cooperative, Savannah, UBA etc), later dubbed First Generation Bank. These guys, most of whom, were working in these banks, probably thought there were more innovative ways of providing financial services than what these conservative First Generation banks were offering. That's an opportunity. Pronto, they explored it, and coupled with IBB's liberalization policy of the era, they established the banks. A couple by the old folks (Adekanye, Osayemah, Femi Ajayi, Duro Emmanuel etc) failed, but these young guys' became mega successful.

Atedo Peterside came back from LSE and realized merchant banking as was practiced in Nigeria was still crude. That's an opportunity. He floated Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) in 1989, to do just one thing: investment banking. He made it.

I think it is about recognizing an untapped opportunity quickly and grabbing it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? / Meet Dele Taiwo, Magistrate In Ondo State (Photos) / Angry UBA Customer Grills Bank Staff Over Fraudulent Transactions In His Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.