Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? (668 Views)

Solution To Sms Sending Failed Unit (bulk Sms Website) / Solution To Nairaland Redirection Problem On Etisalat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by GraphicsPlus(m): 9:10am On Jul 06, 2013
I was thinking yesterday about the frustrations and pains the old versions [6, 7, 8] of Internet Explorer and indeed older versions of other browsers have caused web developers over the years. The leader of this frustration is the old versions of ie. I think old versions of ie have become a canker-worm that must be dealt with. I think ie is one of the oldest browsers which makes it to have greater percentage of people still using the old versions.

Over the years, web developers all over the world have passed through all kinds of coding pains trying to hack around old ie using javascript. This has made most web developers to hate ie with passion. Web related forums all over the internet are littered with tons of questions concerning ie problems in rendering web pages. Anytime a cool feature or trick is taught in css, the next thing one will hear is that it's not supported in ie. And this can make one's heart skip sometimes.

Out of annoyance, some web developers have decided never to care or support ie again. If the user visits a website with old ie, it's either he misses some cool stuff or he meets a webpage with scattered divs. Na him sabi. He should upgrade, so goes the argument. But since the percentage of users still using old ie is relatively high (although recent analytic revealed that there is a gradual decrease), I think it makes sense to still carry old ie users along.

What then is the solution? Whereas a lot have been done to really carry old ie along in this industry by cool guys at github by developing some js library to that effect. Like: http://modernizr.com. And there are websites created to campaign for users to upgrade their browsers. Like: http://browser-update.org.

But I have an idea that I believe may solve this problem if developed and implemented. I want a situation where a software application or plugin will be developed. And it will be synced with Google and Yahoo. Here is the plan. Since Google and Yahoo are visited everyday by almost every internet user, when a user with older version of ie visits Google or Yahoo, the plugin will be triggered and immediately it will automatically start installing the latest version of that particular browser. The user will not know because he will still be able to search on Google and check his email on the old version of the browser. But after installing, the browser will reload and still bring the user to the page he was, however in the latest version of the browser. A notification bar will appear at the top that will read: "You browser has been upgraded. Thank you." And then it disappears.

But here are three major problems:
1. Will Google agree to have such plugin synced with it's search engine application since they want internet users to be using chrome? Will they allow a plugin that will install new version of another browser to internet users?

2. If the plugin is developed to automatically replace old versions of ie with the latest version of chrome in order to get Google's attention, will Microsoft not take legal actions against Google?

3. This is where the bulk of the problem lies. If the plugin is developed and deployed to automatically upgrade a browser without the users permission, will a user not drag Google and whoever that is involved to court for violating his fundamental human right to choose. Actually, a user has the right to choose to keep using old browsers. Why not make the plugin to pop up a dialogue box asking the user to either upgrade or cancel? But this may not work since most users will hit cancel thinking that upgrading may cause a problem to his pc grin or change his normal flow of browsing.

So what do we do then? Should an opensource script be developed that web developers can add in their websites, which will not allow users with old versions of ie to have access to the website. There will be a message that will read: "Please upgrade your browser to access this website. Thank you." This message will have a link of the latest version of that particular browser.

What is your thought on this?
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 06, 2013
@OP
The solution you provided, na PROBLEM OH., you will update my browser without my consent? i dont think that will work
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by onyengbu: 11:45am On Jul 06, 2013
ActiveMan: @OP
The solution you provided, na PROBLEM OH., you will update my browser without my consent? i dont think that will work

Imagine that!

That wont work bro. Too many legal matters de wait u for that plan.

The best thing to do in my opinion is for webmasters to detect old browser and display a very bold, shouty and annoying notification messages that will read something like "this page is scattered because you stubbornly refused to upgrade your archaic browser grin"

I doubt any legal matters will arise from that but even if it will, the legal team of site owners should cover that in their Terms of service.

1 Like

Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by yawatide(f): 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2013
1) Even MSFT has a website devoted to asking you to stop using IE6. So you shouldn't even bother about IE6

2) IE7 is becoming a ghost in and of itself. I probably wouldn't worry about it either

3) IE8 should be your baseline as it is the closest in terms of supporting latest web dev standards

4) You can't force anyone to upgrade. You may suggest but you can't force.

5) Practice incremental coding for peace of mind (code your header, test across the board...code the navigation...)

6) Code semantically. Have a reset.css file for all your projects

7) No be by force say all sites must to look alike on all browsers. Use progress enhancement
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by idlaw2k3(m): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2013
The most annoying part of IE is that it is the default browser for windows os.

Imagine you have a client who isn't computer savvy and he needs a website. You design with lots of fancy stuff and test in Mozilla Chrome Opera Safari and everything looks good.

Then your client views it on his old IE browser!
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by yawatide(f): 12:00am On Jul 07, 2013
^^^ I think this is the problem with your premise:

Imagine you have a client who isn't computer savvy and he needs a website. You design with lots of fancy stuff and test in Mozilla Chrome Opera Safari and everything looks good.

vs.

Then your client views it on his old IE browser!

1) Why didn't YOU include IE in your testing?
2) Why didn't you tell the client that you have a baseline, based on latest statistics, supported by evidence?
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by databoy247(m): 6:42am On Jul 07, 2013
pheeeew!!....plenty grammar.
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by idlaw2k3(m): 11:14am On Jul 07, 2013
1) Why didn't YOU include IE in your testing?
2) Why didn't you tell the client that you have a baseline, based on latest statistics, supported by evidence?

I have the latest version of IE on my system. Which I usually use to view my work. The problem is with older versions.
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by yawatide(f): 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2013
Then get an app that allows you to test in older browsers. Many abound. I think IETester is one of them and there are others, whose names I have forgotten.

I guess my overall point is that, upfront, you establish for the client what your baseline is, make sure it works there by doing robust testing.
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 07, 2013
By Involving Google,You have complicated issues.Microsoft should be made to clean up their mess.We could ask Microsoft to discontinue support for all non-standard browsers including IE8 grin.

I think users have a right to decide what browser version to use.

For an automatic upgrade to be feasible,It has to be done as a minor upgrade.Say from 6.8 to 6.9.Where 6.9 is specifically for fixing compatibility issues.Updates are downloaded automatically but users decide to upgrade and are prompted to do so whenever IE is launched.

Well,until MS complies,we will continue to use JavaScript and CSS to make our designs backwards-compatible with IE.
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by tabontabon: 1:12pm On Jul 08, 2013
If you must support IE versions less than 8, i bliv graceful degradation is the way to go. Meaning the user gets all the basic functionalities of the site without the bells and whistles. It's not a must Websites looks the same in all browsers
Re: Could This Be The Solution To Old IE Issue? by yawatide(f): 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
^^^ IMHO, maybe progressive enhancement is better here - rather than start "high" and remove features that don't work (usually a frustrating process, at least to me), maybe you start with the bare bones basics (for IE) and then gradually build up for the others.

(1) (Reply)

Twitter Is Not As Big And healthy As We Thought… / Search Engine Optimization And Website Ranking / Simple Webdesign Software That Allow You To Create A Website In A Minute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.