Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor (10444 Views)

Biafra: Buhari Pushing Igbo To Secede From Nigeria – Ezeife / Buhari Has Committed Impeachable Offence - Ezeife / Ezeife- They Have Made Nigeria Ungovernable For Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Brimmie(m): 1:45am On Jul 07, 2013
Third Republic governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, in this interview with ALLWELL OKPI, states that adopting a two-party system would help Nigeria overcome its political woes

President Goodluck Jonathan recently suggested a two-party political system for the country. Do you agree with him?

I’m a staunch supporter of a two-party system. It is the best for the country because it is based on distinct ideologies – the conservatives on one side and the progressives on the other side. If we want to adopt it, then we should have the courage to register the National Republican Convention again. The Social Democratic Party has already been re-registered and many people are showing interest.

Considering the present political situation, is Nigeria ripe for such?

The situation on the ground does not seem to encourage the establishment of a proper two-party system based on ideological distinction. The All Progressives Congress cannot be a part of a proper two-party system. In fact, APC constitutes a danger to Nigeria. It is only complicating our political situation because it is not based on ideology.

Has the two-party system been effective in Nigeria and other countries?

When Ibrahim Babangida wanted to transit to civilian rule, he empanelled ex-permanent secretaries to prepare a transition programme. I was one of them. We analysed the situation of the country and we came to a conclusion that Nigeria has two major religions – Islam and Christianity – but there are the pagans. Nigeria has tribes – Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo and others. We looked at the country and decided that the only way to unite this country was by establishing a two-party political system. So, it was the ex-permanent secretaries that proposed it to IBB and he announced it to Nigerians. Because he was the one that announced it, people thought it was a military idea and people opposed it. But in practice, the bonding that happened in Nigeria during that period is better than the bonding that has happened at other times in this country since amalgamation. If somebody from Sokoto State is going to Anambra State in those days, it was like he was going home. If you were a member of the SDP in Sokoto, and you came to Anambra where I was the governor, you would feel at home. You would have no fear. The same thing happened between states where the National Republican Convention was in charge. Someone from Enugu NRC could go to Kano, which was another NRC state and feel at home. All the governors were like one; there was no division. In practice, the two-party system has proven to be superior to all other alternatives. In theory, the two-party system is clearly better than other alternatives. In the United State of America, you have the conservatives called the Republicans and the libertarians called the Democrats. Anywhere you have uncountable number of political parties, you will have many problems. It is no use. An example is Israel. In a two-party system, you have two strong parties. One may be stronger than the other in one area, but rigging of elections will be minimal compared to the large-scale rigging that will now have under multi-party system. I usually say that in a two-party system, giant will meet giant and they will negotiate. But now, we have a situation where a giant meet Lilliputians and there is no negotiation. In any way you look at it, the two-party system is superior. To balance the two-party system, the only thing we have to do is to allow independent candidacy.

Assuming we have a situation where some Nigerians do not believe in any of the two parties. What options do such people have?

Like I said, to give a breathing space, the two-party system should allow space for independent candidates. We should be clamouring for a two-party system plus independent candidacy in order to satisfy the aspirations of people who may disagree with the two main parties.

Are you saying the people who do not conform to the two major parties cannot form political organisations to support independent candidates?

No, people will be free to form smaller political parties but they will not be funded by the government. It does not take away the right of Nigerians to form political associations. It is just that other political associations outside the two main political parties would be independent of the two-party system.

You said SDP and NRC should be re-registered. Do you recommend that Nigeria should return to the early 1990s when the two parties reigned?

That is the best thing, if we can find a way to go there. Every Nigerian should know that that is the best for the country.

But don’t you think the ideologies that governed those parties and the conduct of politicians then have been eroded from today’s politics?

No. There is something called conservatism and there is something called progressivism. These are international ideologies. They don’t get eroded. Sometimes some people are convergent. So, there can be progressivism, conservatism and convergence.

The suggestion of a two-party system today is based the emergence of the All Progressives Congress as a giant umbrella of major opposition parties to challenge the ruling Peoples Democratic Party. Do you think PDP and APC fit into the conservative-versus-progressive mould of a two-party system?

APC clearly does not qualify as an alternative party. Like I said before, APC has no ideology and it is therefore not good for Nigeria.

What of PDP?

PDP has no ideology but it is not the fault of the party. It occurred that way because of how things happened. I was a founding member of G34. When Abubakar Abdusalami came up with the idea of taking Nigeria to civil rule, I proposed that since members of the G34 were the credible people at that time, we should break into two – some into a conservative group, following their own ideologies, and some into a progressive group. There were many progressives and many conservatives in G34. But it turned out that nobody wanted to be in the opposition. About seven people agreed with me but it was overruled because the majority wanted to be opulent; nobody wanted to be in the opposition; nobody wanted to lose election and grow as opposition. So, people from different parties, including SDP and NRC, joined the PDP. As a result, PDP from the start became a party of ideological strange bed fellows. It is not the fault of PDP; it was the way things happened when the military handed over to civilians.

As Nigeria prepares for the 2015 general elections, how can the country arrive at the type of two-party system that existed in the SDP-NRC era?

We need to evolve. There is no way to do it by fiat. If we have a determined government, Nigeria can become the super power that it is supposed to be. Maybe from there, we can re-register NRC. SDP has been re-registered. We need some support for these two bodies. Just any show of interest or intervention by government can spark up growth and development within these parties.

Can a two-party system also answer the question of the different regions of the country seeking their slot at the presidency?

Two-party system has nothing to do with who becomes President. The Presidency will be a matter of rotation among the geopolitical zones. We can just end up with the South-East, then after that, it will be free for all. Then, we can have the six zones nominate presidential candidates and we will choose based on meritocracy.

http://www.punchng.com/politics/apc-danger-to-nigeria-ezeife/

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Awake9ja(m): 6:27am On Jul 07, 2013
this man once again is spot on.

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by takedat(m): 7:17am On Jul 07, 2013
*APC has no ideology, it is therefore not good for Nigeria.
*PDP has no ideology, but it is not the fault of the party.

"Why beholdest thou the mote that is in they brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

The old brigade politicians including this Merlin beard-masquerade lookalike, led us to this sorry state. These old foxes should all go into political hibernation, they are the real danger to Nigeria!

38 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by bloggernaija: 7:23am On Jul 07, 2013
Confirmed AGIP.

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by egift(m): 7:32am On Jul 07, 2013
Old cargo seeking relevance.

2 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Awake9ja(m): 7:44am On Jul 07, 2013
the msg of this intelligent elite and elder is straight to the point.
he speaks with out fear nor favor.

What of PDP?
PDP has no ideology but it is not the fault of the party. It occurred that way because of how things happened. nobody wanted to be in the opposition; nobody wanted to lose election and grow as opposition. So, people from different parties, including SDP and NRC, joined the PDP. As a result, PDP from the start became a party of ideological strange bed fellows.

looking at this statement once again tells me that as of that time everyone wants to be on the winning side.
what the man is saying is simple "since PDP started without true foundation(ideology) bcus of how fast everytin happened, we ought not to have another PDP like party after we have known and seen the true state of tins"

that is where APC got it all wrong according to the man. APC to him is not Yoruba hausa Fulani ok.
pls lets read between the lines.

19 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Awake9ja(m): 7:48am On Jul 07, 2013
how can you stand to call a party which one individual dictates for a national party with ideology?

ACN already has TINUBU as God father.
CPC already has BUHARI as God Father.

the words of these two men is a command to the party tell me how any ideology that disfavor them can stand.
pls the man Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife is very very right. Even PDP to me is far better than this APC nonsense.

lets take away sentiment and see if we still view the man statement as void.

11 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by takedat(m): 8:18am On Jul 07, 2013
Awake9ja:

looking at this statement once again tells me that as of that time everyone wants to be on the winning side.
what the man is saying is simple "since PDP started without true foundation(ideology) bcus of how fast everytin happened, we ought not to have another PDP like party after we have known and seen the true state of tins"

Ok! PDP started as a broad based all inclusive party, and 15years after its formation the party is yet to have an ideology. Of what good then is the party? A Party lacking in ideology but insist on ruling. It shows that the party is made of charlatans, ever-swelling cult of looters with no vision or ideas to govern. Is Ezeife not a member of the PDP? What has he done in the last 15years to change the PDP into an ideologically based party? "Chop money" and camouflage as an elder statesman. Hypocrite and a stone thrower!

APC is a replica of the PDP, but anything to challenge the monopoly of the PDP is welcome. This new arrangement would give the PDP enough to evaluate its place in the socio-political life of the people and determine whether to remain as it is, or reposition itself as the party of choice!

23 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Tolexander: 8:44am On Jul 07, 2013
I’m a staunch supporter of a
two-party system. It is the best
for the country because it is
based on distinct ideologies –
the conservatives on one side
and the progressives on the
other side. If we want to adopt it,
then we should have the courage
to register the National
Republican Convention again.
The Social Democratic Party has
already been re-registered and
many people are showing
interest
smart man!

After re-registering the NRC, he will now tell us to change our political atmosphere to 1993 so that he can now be the governor again!

Noway!
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 07, 2013
Awake9ja: how can you stand to call a party which one individual dictates for a national party with ideology?

ACN already has TINUBU as God father.
CPC already has BUHARI as God Father.

the words of these two men is a command to the party tell me how any ideology that disfavor them can stand.
pls the man Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife is very very right. Even PDP to me is far better than this APC nonsense.

lets take away sentiment and see if we still view the man statement as void.
You my friend need serious awakening

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 07, 2013
take dat: Ok! PDP started as a broad based all inclusive party, and 15years after its formation the party is yet to have an ideology. Of what good then is the party? A Party lacking in ideology but insist on ruling. It shows that the party is made of charlatans, ever-swelling cult of looters with no vision or ideas to govern.

APC is a replica of the PDP, but anything to challenge the monopoly of the PDP is welcome. This new arrangement would give the PDP enough to evaluate its place in the socio-political life of the people and determine whether to remain as it is, or reposition itself as the party of choice!
Exactly, whatever the outcome of 2015, i see a monopoly broken and re evaluation on both sides, which should be in favour of the masses.

5 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Cultured(m): 10:47am On Jul 07, 2013
I hold Dr. Ezeife in high esteem and I partially share in his opinion that 2 party system will do us good in the politics of this great nation , however , my fear is that we don't play politics based on ideology , thus my reservation for such system at present.

In a sane environment where politics is being played based on ideology , 2 party system do bring healthy competition which of course lead to good governance nay development , because money , tribal sentiment ,thurgery and other anti progress vices doesn't determines who emerges as political party candidate in an election , rather each of the parties involved always strive to present their best candidates in elections , but same thing can't be said about our own polity at least presently ,so for now multi party system/ two party system with option for independent candidates is our best bet until we are mature enough to live above mediocre .

2 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Aphrygian(m): 10:49am On Jul 07, 2013
ibo una,wahala too much.u pple should make apga acceptable so dat we can av options not dis pdp boyboy u pple are doing

2 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by JackBaueress(f): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2013
When old men like this talk, i really getting scared that there's no hope for this country. smh

1 Like

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by bknight: 10:58am On Jul 07, 2013
Ezeife? undecided
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by moodswing(m): 10:58am On Jul 07, 2013
Fortunately most of us here understood what this man is saying. While some ignorant ones wouldn't bear the fact that APC is a nemesis that's about to befall those who believe in it.

1 Like

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by lacasa: 11:03am On Jul 07, 2013
a party that has the likes of Buhari, Fashola, Oshiomole et al in comparison to a party that owns Boko Haram, has alameiseigha as its president's benefactor and ruled for 14 years without any development to the nation, abeg!!

This old man is seeking his own piece of the national pie from oga @ the top (mmhm! D@z all!!!)

4 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by k2039: 11:05am On Jul 07, 2013
take dat: *APC has no ideology, it is therefore not good for Nigeria.

"Why beholdest thou the mote that is in they brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

The old brigade politicians including this Merlin beard-masquerade lookalike, led us to this sorry state. These old foxes should all go into political hibernation, they are the real danger to Nigeria!
That's the problem with Nigerians, anyone who reads your post will be mistaken to believe that was exactly what the man meant. You shouldn't have taken his comment out of isolation. He had a reason for saying PDP has no fault and he did explain.

@Awake9ja, thank you for explaining grammar to take dat,https://www.nairaland.com/1349921/apc-danger-nigeria-ezeife-ex-anambra#16666396

1 Like

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by adami1: 11:07am On Jul 07, 2013
hmmmm: i think its unfair to call a party who have not register a danger, they are all d same.
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2013
if APC is danger to Nigeria then i have to reconsider my stance against them. if APC will make Nigeria 'scatter' then maybe we should support for it to happen soonest.

1 Like

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 07, 2013
APC danger to Nigeria Ko; APC safe to Ghana Ni... All Na Wash. All I know is that come 2015, Ngige is winning the governorship of Anambra state! Am not voting for party but personality! This old buffon is saying this because Ngige has a mandate with APC party abi? You think you can deceive us with that Ojukwu nonsense of this is "MY LAST WISH" again? You think another PETER OBI LOOK-ALIKE will deceive us with the rosary again? Anambrarians are now wiser than that! Come 2015, am voting for that short, wise dude from Anambra central.... I am a core Amabrarian by the way!

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by PStacks(m): 11:21am On Jul 07, 2013
Somehow he sounds right about the 2 party system thing. This system always ends up in producing the best of the best for the job.

That is the system that produced Barrack Obama.
That's the system that Produced David Cameron
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 07, 2013

i agree, no one should take a man with such a contradictory staement serious. infact, he should be ignored.
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by alphaconde(m): 11:23am On Jul 07, 2013
I lost my offering money today
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nightshift(m): 11:29am On Jul 07, 2013
Without ideology, Nigeria's major political parties are more like narco-cartels. The only thing they haven't done is hanging ordinary Nigerians on top of bridges across the country.
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by PHIPEX(m): 11:31am On Jul 07, 2013
take dat: Ok! PDP started as a broad based all inclusive party, and 15years after its formation the party is yet to have an ideology. Of what good then is the party? A Party lacking in ideology but insist on ruling. It shows that the party is made of charlatans, ever-swelling cult of looters with no vision or ideas to govern.

Doesn't the highlighted sound like the short term quick-quick solution of the military era that landed us in the problem we have today? If PDP got worse after 14yrs then APC may complicate the situation in years to come, maybe we'll start searching for a third mega party. If APC wins in 2015 what happens afterward? Are we not going to be left with 2 PDP like parties competing over who wins more loot? I will prefer to have to contend with one devil than multiplying the devils in the polity. I need a better option not another complication.

4 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Sweetlemon(f): 11:32am On Jul 07, 2013
As long as GEJ continues to give juicy "contracts" to Tompolo, Asari, and co, same people who have killed and maimed countless people unjustly,

As long as the general standard of living of the average Nigerian still remains low, (when I mean standard of living I mean access to good water, constant electricity, quality education, quality health care, decent employment, good roads etc)

As long as the present govt continues to shy away from probing openly corrupt people like Farouk, and flaunt some of the most corrupt officials and "friends" of the govt,

I am still 100% ACN/APC!

I am not saying GEJ is a retardeen or anything thing like that (I don't even like those names) I'm just saying I want something better.

Chikena!

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 07, 2013
alpha conde: I lost my offering money today
Praise da lord
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by takedat(m): 11:42am On Jul 07, 2013
PHIPEX: Doesn't the highlighted sound like the short term quick-quick solution of the military era that landed us in the problem we have today. If APC wins in 2015 what happens afterward? Are we not going to be left with 2 PDP like parties competing over who wins more loot? I will prefer to have to contend with one devil than multiplying the devils in the polity.
We run a "Monetized Democracy" so do not expect saints and perfectionist to form political parties big enough to challenge the PDP for now. PDP needs competition, and As long as there is competition between the two parties(National and State level), both parties will gradually evolve into ideologically based parties. Tinubu, OBJ, GEJ, Buhari and co will all die someday, and patriotic and fair minded Nigerians will take over from them!

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Manlado: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2013

I feel sorry for Nigeria!!!
Is this an elder statesman?
Listen to him saying : I am one of the wise ones of old. I created SDP,NRC and PDP therefore they are good for Nigeria. APC is no good because I have no hand in it.
This is the kind of bias mind that destroyed the foundation of our democracy.
He is telling us he already knew that PDP would win 1999 election. So he confirmed the election was a fraud. Damn!
His intellect is wow, my baby could smack him.
America is multi-party. Can someone tell him please!!!!!!!!!!!!
The present Democrats are a merger!
Karma to you sinners in the foundation of poor Nigeria.
Damn!

3 Likes

Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Tolexander: 11:46am On Jul 07, 2013
P.Stacks:
Somehow he sounds right about the 2 party system thing. This system always ends up in producing the best of the best for the job.

That is the system that produced Barrack Obama.
That's the system that Produced David Cameron

guess you meant USA practises 2 party system?
Re: APC, Danger To Nigeria - Ezeife, Ex-Anambra Governor by Sweetlemon(f): 11:47am On Jul 07, 2013
PHIPEX: Doesn't the highlighted sound like the short term quick-quick solution of the military era that landed us in the problem we have today? If PDP got worse after 14yrs then APC may complicate the situation in years to come, maybe we'll start searching for a third mega party. If APC wins in 2015 what happens afterward? Are we not going to be left with 2 PDP like parties competing over who wins more loot? I will prefer to have to contend with one devil than multiplying the devils in the polity. I need a better option not another complication.
Abegi! The people we have in CAN are much better than the ones in PDP.
Look at it this way, the worst PDP governor is much worse than the worst ACN governor. The Best ACN governor is also better and more world-wide known and celebrated than the PDP goveernor.
Oya, work it out yourself

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19: FG Appeals To Traders, Transporters Not To Hike Prices / Southern Kaduna Group (SOKAPU) Adopts Atiku / Enugu Brt To Be Run By Nigeria Made Buses!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.