Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz (1987 Views)

We Will Write Your Resignation Letter, Nigerians Abroad Tell Saraki / Stop Sending Your Deportees To Nigeria – ​FG Warns ECOWAS Member States / Gov Ambode Asks Nigerians Abroad To Return. . .Lagosians Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 07, 2013
Nigerians abroad contribute a large chunk of money to Nigeria's GDP...to the tune of billions per year. I believe if

Nigerians abroad should stop coming home..this will give the Nigerian government more incentive to eradicate corruption

and provide stable electricity..because a large part of the GDP will be cut.

The money that Nigerians have been sending home has made most Nigerians lazy and somewhat comfortable in their

situation. Most Nigerians have become dependent on this money...and lost their sense of urgency to build a better nation

for the future. Nigeria is due for a change from the status quo..this is the best way Nigerians abroad can contribute to

that change...cut off all funds and aid to Nigerians back home...ABI?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:27am On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
[b]Nigerians abroad contribute a large chunk of money to Nigeria's GDP...to the tune of billions per year. I believe if
Nigerians abroad should stop coming home..this will give the Nigerian government more incentive to eradicate corruption
The money that Nigerians have been sending home has made most Nigerians lazy and somewhat comfortable in their
situation. Most Nigerians have become dependent on this money...and lost their sense of urgency to build a better nation
for the future. Nigeria is due for a change from the status quo..this is the best way Nigerians abroad can contribute to

You have to take into consideration the welfare of the poor relatives of some Nigerians in diaspora. Some Nigerians travel out of the country to earn more money to take care of their poor family, those Nigerians abroad may have poor parents or very young siblings that the parents are too poor/too old to provide standard education for.

They might also have sick relatives or something that they need to send the money for treatment to.

They need to send money for things like this.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 4:54am On Jul 07, 2013
even with sick relatives and situations like that, sacrifices need to be made. Unfortunately there might be some casualties, but in the long run, Nigeria will be better.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Originalsly: 6:41am On Jul 07, 2013
I hope you're not serious...just trying to stir things up! I do agree with you that remittances have encouraged laziness and dependency in far too many especially the youths. If they are doing nothing for themselves then they are doing nothing positive for the country.But this is just a small percent. The vast majority receiving use the money for education, to build homes, to start or improve businesses...to create employment,for health purposes...treatment, medications,operations...for basic clothing and hygiene, to upgrade their standard of living.Are these not part of development?...and you are suggesting that these hmmm....some people should suffer all because of the few bums and the hope that FG eyes and heart would open up? Hmmm...some will have to suffer...with this your thinking I hope you never ever get a position of power.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 07, 2013
^^^^^^Naah am actually still wide awake....that is my point people are using the money for things that are necessary..it has become part of the economy...so if it was stopped...the country will feel it...this will cause actions to be taken by the Feds....I think this might work...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by gunuvi(m): 9:00am On Jul 07, 2013
Are u aware that many Nigerians at home also sends money to their relatives abroad?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by omanzo02: 9:55am On Jul 07, 2013
It's difficult to avoid, u might have 1 or 2 things u want to establish back home so u cant resist sending fund to achieve it, just most people don't encourage their dependants to make use of their opportunities, I could only assist a family members financially for his or her education, sometimes u got to learn how to say NO. The general view with most Nigerians back home is a family member should take care of their general needs, for me that wont happen,it encourages false HOPE and LAZINESS, only my parent could get a financial gift from me once in while for support.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by KokoBeware: 1:17pm On Jul 07, 2013
gunuvi: Are u aware that many Nigerians at home also sends money to their relatives abroad?

School fees comes to mind...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
gunuvi: Are u aware that many Nigerians at home also sends money to their relatives abroad?

yes am aware...you can start your own thread about that...this will increase the urgency to fix Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by taharqa2: 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
even with sick relatives and situations like that, sacrifices need to be made. Unfortunately there might be some casualties, but in the long run, Nigeria will be better.
@OP, abeg how old are you?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Degis(m): 3:26pm On Jul 07, 2013
So the money you send home from washing and cleaning toilets as well as dead bodies, is what you think everybody depends on abi?. Indeed your foolishness is legendary. You better send us your bank details, so we can help you with 10,000 dollars. Shior

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
taharqa2: @OP, abeg how old are you?

old enough to be your dad my son...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 07, 2013
Degis: So the money you send home from washing and cleaning toilets as well as dead bodies, is what you think everybody depends on abi?. Indeed your foolishness is legendary. You better send us your bank details, so we can help you with 10,000 dollars. Shior

dont get mad at me....get mad at the Nigerian government...am just trying to help you people... but ill take your $10,000
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by boneruns(m): 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2013
The OP is not a Nigerian, but a Ghanaian.

Read his posts on Travel section to ascertain his country of origin.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 07, 2013
boneruns: The OP is not a Nigerian, but a Ghanaian.

Read his posts on Travel section to ascertain his country of origin.

I actually consider my self a Nigerian my friend.....but you should ask if I was born in Nigeria... you cannot deny

the fact if Nigerians abroad stop traveling and sending money home..changes will happen....
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 07, 2013
Can you compare the amount of money leaving Nigeria to what's coming in ? The millions of dollars spent on health and education abroad, importation, smuggled crude oil and billions of dollars kept in foreign banks by the corrupt ruling class.

Whatever amount you think diasporans send to Nigeria should be one third of what is going out !
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Can you compare the amount of money leaving Nigeria to what's coming in ? The millions of dollars spent on health and education abroad, importation, smuggled crude oil and billions of dollars kept in foreign banks by the corrupt ruling class.

Whatever amount you think diasporans send to Nigeria should be one third of what is going out !

Every year Nigerians abroad send about $6 billion dollars home....and this is not counting the flight and money spent when they are home....a stop to this will increase the urgency fora better Nigeria....its a fact..
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by boneruns(m): 4:22pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Every year Nigerians abroad send about $6 billion dollars home....and this is not counting the flight and money spent when they are home....a stop to this will increase the urgency fora better Nigeria....its a fact..

You're not making any sense. Your analysis is incoherent and does not show the real situation.

And where did you get idea of Nigerians in diaspora spend $6billion annually?

Also, how will infrastructural needs be addressed if diasporans stop sending money home?

You really have to be sure of what you're saying.

You have not said anything commendable about Nigerians living at home. To me, you're not a Nigerian.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 07, 2013
boneruns:

You're not making any sense. Your analysis is incoherent and does not show the real situation.

And where did you get idea of Nigerians in diaspora spend $6billion annually?

Also, how will infrastructural needs be addressed if diasporans stop sending money home?

You really have to be sure of what you're saying.

You have not said anything commendable about Nigerians living at home. To me, you're not a Nigerian.

am just here making short comments and opinions...but if you really want ill give you a four page essay on why Nigerians

should stop sending money home....but you might not like what i put...It will be very insulting.....am more Nigerian

than you my friend..
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Horus(m): 4:59pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Nigerians abroad contribute a large chunk of money to Nigeria's GDP...to the tune of billions per year. I believe if

I think that I understand your point of view!. Sending money to Nigeria will have to be dramatically reduced over time, forcing the FG to adopt more transparent and tangible strategies to finance development. Relying too much on receiving money from Nigerians living abroad can be classified as a kind of "foreign aid" and can create a dependency if the money received is not invested.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by 50calibre(m): 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2013
I have too much at stake in Nigeria, not to be returning.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2013
Horus:

I think that I understand your point of view!. Sending money to Nigeria will have to be dramatically reduced over time, forcing the FG to adopt more transparent and tangible strategies to finance development. Relying too much on receiving money from Nigerians living abroad can be classified as a kind of "foreign aid" and can create a dependency if the money received is not invested.

You got it!!! not to make anyone suffer..but to increase the sense of urgency and force the federal government to

act....am sure it would work...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by sanandreas(m): 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2013
Which money re u talking abt. Those peanut wen una dey send abi. ghana tinz. Na small boyz for my area dey drive evil spirit.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by brodalikeme(m): 7:46pm On Jul 07, 2013
Let me contribute to this joke! Where do you live or reside? Do you know the amount of money that Nigerians sent to people leaving abroad? Most Nigerian that have been living abroad are coming back home because the economy of this western countries have really slowed down. It is very difficult getting a job that can pay your bills now. A careful analysis will show you that you chances are brighter in Africa. so where do people living living in the diaspora get money to send home? Whatever change they send home is not even enough to change the status of anybody. Its been looooong that i heard somebody abroad is the source of livelihood of his relative back home. In between I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ANY CLUE ABOUT WANT IS HAPPENING IN NIGERIA!!! Bros, Abeg keep you chop moni to yrsef, e no dey enuff to buy tokunbo Camry wey dem dey use do taxi here.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 07, 2013
brodalikeme: Let me contribute to this joke! Where do you live or reside? Do you know the amount of money that Nigerians sent to people leaving abroad? Most Nigerian that have been living abroad are coming back home because the economy of this western countries have really slowed down. It is very difficult getting a job that can pay your bills now. A careful analysis will show you that you chances are brighter in Africa. so where do people living living in the diaspora get money to send home? Whatever change they send home is not even enough to change the status of anybody. Its been looooong that i heard somebody abroad is the source of livelihood of his relative back home. In between I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE ANY CLUE ABOUT WANT IS HAPPENING IN NIGERIA!!! Bros, Abeg keep you chop moni to yrsef, e no dey enuff to buy tokunbo Camry wey dem dey use do taxi here.

I dont understand obviously you agree with me....but you act like you are angry.....we bot agree....Nigerians should stop sending money...thats what you said...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by redcliff: 10:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

[size=14pt]bro no offence, i like you and stuff but i think this post is utter trash and this is my take. You do not expect to alter the order of things to achieve what I would term as a "greater good" for our benefit. If we were to categorize proffered solutions that would move the economy forward according to preferences, i do not think what you just said would be on the list not to talk of being in a category.( be sincerely honest), when did you last send money home?[/size]
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Seriously, are you joking or just plain tired of life. Would you care to know that the amount of money leaving Nigeria is far greater than the amount coming in. In fact, it is incomparable. The money sent home is to assist families and friends to cushion the effect of the economy. Things like education, health and necessaries.

Infact, it is pure evil for you to think this way. Even, if there is going to be a revolution, those abroad must also contribute their quota. By the way, you can stop remitting money back to your relatives,its your choice. As for me and my friends, we will not STOP sending money home. Its our responsibility. Its our way of life and we are very happy about it.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 07, 2013
redcliff:

[size=14pt]bro no offence, i like you and stuff but i think this post is utter trash and this is my take. You do not expect to alter the order of things to achieve what I would term as a "greater good" for our benefit. If we were to categorize proffered solutions that would move the economy forward according to preferences, i do not think what you just said would be on the list not to talk of being in a category.( be sincerely honest), when did you last send money home?[/size]

Well...its a suggestion and it could quite possibly work....maybe 3 months ago i sent money to Nigeria...but i sent money to Africa every month...even twice a month....
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 07, 2013
percipi1:

Seriously, are you joking or just plain tired of life. Would you care to know that the amount of money leaving Nigeria is far greater than the amount coming in. In fact, it is incomparable. The money sent home is to assist families and friends to cushion the effect of the economy. Things like education, health and necessaries.

Infact, it is pure evil for you to think this way. Even, if there is going to be a revolution, those abroad must also contribute their quota. By the way, you can stop remitting money back to your relatives,its your choice. As for me and my friends, we will not STOP sending money home. Its our responsibility. Its our way of life and we are very happy about it.

good for you..am glad that you are happy about....but we shouldn't react out of emotions.....too much assistant could turn
the feds lazy...
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by bloggernaija: 12:45am On Jul 08, 2013
what ought to have shored up the value of the naira and as such improve the living standards of the average man ,who earns his keep in naira ,this blessing is quickly/immediately dispatched into the Swiss accounts of thieving politicians, unpatriotic businessmen and bad government policies
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by fiscalcliff: 3:32am On Jul 08, 2013
So because a tsetse fly is perched on my scrotum,I should use a sledge hammer to kill it
That a very radical but ill thought out idea we have here
Name was for this op O!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by WarriPikin1: 3:39am On Jul 08, 2013
[size=30pt]I'm Surprised this "advice" isn't from MUSIWA[/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Method Of Home Robbery Discovered / The Hottest Thread On NL Is.. / Photos: ISIS Announces Its Own Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.