Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,988 members, 7,799,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:17 PM

Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site (2813 Views)

Jubilation In Tarkaa Over David Mark's Sack / Photo Of The Man We All Know As Julius Berger, Who Built Our Bridges / Election: Jubilation In Ado Ekiti As Assembly Election Results Trickle In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by VAQAXY: 8:29am On Jul 07, 2013
There was tumultuous joy in the South East last week especially among those living in the commercial city of Onitsha and its environs and including people in some parts of Edo, Delta and Imo states, when construction giant, Julius Berger, began mobilizing to site to commence the construction of the long awaited Second Niger Bridge in Onitsha, Anambra State.

The presence of the construction giant at the foot of the Niger Bridge within the Onitsha axis and the berthing of several barges belonging to the company triggered jubilation in various parts of the commercial city and attracted widespread commendation for the Federal Government. Julius Berger won the contract to construct the long awaited bridge across River Niger. Two weeks ago, at the 43rd Julius Berger Annual General Meeting (AGM), its Managing Director, Mr Wolfgang Goetsch disclosed that the Federal Government had given Julius Berger a letter of intent, which would enable it to do preliminary work such as soil testing and engineering design.

He explained that the bridge would be built under the private-public partnership arrangement.

“A consortium that included a South African firm participated in the bidding for the project. In January 2013, our group became the preferred bidder. We are excited because it will be the first of its kind in Nigeria,” he noted.

Investigation by Sunday Sun revealed that Julius Berger brought to the agreement table, the sum of N100billion, while the Federal Government is paying 30 percent equity.

The 30 percent equity by government, according to our investigation, would be generated through the SURE-P programme.

Giving insight into the project, the Special Adviser to the Minister of Works on Media, Mr Tony Ikpasaja, said the total length of the bridge including the accompanying road is 12.4 kilometres.

Said Ikpasaja: “the entire bridge and approach road is 12.4Km. The bridge itself is 1.8km, while the approach road is 10.6km.”

He said, “the approach road begins from Asaba before the airport, and veers to the right to hit the bridge, while from the bridge, the road takes you into Onitsha-Owerri road and also, to Onitsha-Enugu road.”

When Sunday Sun visited the Onitsha River Port located few metres away from the Old Niger Bridge which is temporarily being used by officials of Julius Berger, there were many barges that had berthed along the River Niger laden with some heavy equipment belonging to the construction giant.

Among the barges were those with registration no IMO 9362554 5 NLD5 carrying some equipment to be used by site engineers who were busy in various parts of the state conducting what they termed preliminary analysis.

Though Julius Berger Public Relations Officer, PRO, Mr. Joseph Ojelade declined comments on the preparation for the full commencement of the project, a senior site engineer who pleaded anonymity on the ground that he was not authorized to speak to the press said the company was ready to complete the project on time and to specifications.

“As you see, we have started mobilizing to the site. It is part of the things that distinguishes us from other construction companies and we will not like to let Nigerians who have trust in us down. Some of these equipment that have started arriving belong to the small category that we are using to conduct our preliminary analysis. What we are doing now is to bring these equipment down. Many of the barges have arrived and we have offloaded these ones and have gone back to bring others.”

“We are just doing preliminary works, pending the finalization of the contract. We are still waiting for that. We are thinking maybe in two months time, that is my thinking though, I’m not so sure.”

On the future of the existing Niger Bridge , the site engineer said “we don’t know what will happen to the existing bridge, I don’t think the bridge is completely damaged. They will not pull it down; it may still be in existence even after the completion of the second Niger Bridge. It’s the Federal Government that will determine the fate of the existing bridge but as a company we are more focused on the job given to us to construct the new bridge across the River Niger.”

Also speaking, another staff member of Julius Berger who also didn’t want his name in print said “the second bridge will come but the time of the completion is what I can’t tell because it should only be known by the top management of the company and as for me, I don’t have any business with the time and specification of the project.”

On the challenges facing the company so far at the time of the project, he said “we have not experienced any difficulty yet. We are a good contracting firm and that was why when we bid for the contract, after evaluation and critically analysing the companies that made bids, we were chosen as the best to handle it and I can tell you that we shall have no problem that could hamper the timely delivery and completion of the second Niger Bridge.”

Meanwhile, so many prominent Igbo sons and daughters have lauded President Goodluck Jonathan for fulfilling his campaign promise of constructing the second Niger Bridge, adding that the zone had been made to pass through untold hardship because of the failure of successive governments to construct the bridge.

The Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe said the need for the second Niger Bridge cannot be overemphasized, noting “the bridge when completed will help not only Ndigbo but all Nigerians and will also open up this part of the country for economic viability. We thank President Goodluck Jonathan for delivering on his campaign promises.”

Igwe Achebe also expressed satisfaction with the construction company that was awarded the contract, saying “when I heard that the contract for the construction of the second bridge was awarded to Julius Berger, I quickly knew that the Federal Government was sincere in the construction of the bridge.”

The former President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr. Dozie Ikedife also thanked the Federal Government for the commencement of the construction of the second Niger Bridge and urged them to make sure that nothing hampers the timely completion of the important project.

“The Federal Government must make sure that paucity of funds does not affect the construction and completion of the Second Niger Bridge . It must be able to pay for all certificates generated by the contruction company and I wish to tell Julius Berger that they have attained a certain level of height in the country through quality jobs, they must not fail this time because this project is very important to the country and Africa in general.”

Member representing Anaocha/Dunukofia/Njikoka Federal Constituency, Mrs. Uche Ekwunife further challenged Ndigbo to remain grateful to President Jonathan for the commencement of the construction of the second Niger Bridge, adding that the zone had never had it so good.

She thanked President Goodluck Jonathan for allowing good judgment to determine the award of the contract to a competent contracor, adding “the exercise for the award of the contract was characterized by good judgment and the federal government did well in allowing competence take the centre stage instead of personal gains. Second Niger Bridge is not a project that should be handled by just any construction company but we are proud that a competent international company got the contract and has started mobilizing to the site.”

For the President General Ndigbo United Assembly, Sir Peter Okala, the development called for celebration. According to him, “even if the project does not begin immediately, we are happy that at last, we are seeing visible efforts being made by the Federal Government to construct and complete the bridge.”

“Ndi Igbo are indeed very happy and we shall continue to supervise the project, give the contractors adequate security to do their job without any hindrance. On that angle, Ndigbo United Assembly shall collaborate with security agencies to give maximum security to the contractors to allow for good job. The second Niger Bridge, when completed, will not benefit only Igbo people but the country at large because it will help Nigeria regain its lost economic leadership in the rest of the Africa continent and the world at large.”

A business mogul, Chief Godwin Okeke also lauded President Goodluck Jonathan for the commencement of the project, stressing that it will help reduce dangers of travelling often caused by failed roads all over the country and poor bridges where they existed.

“For the business class, it calls for celebration because we are going to experience a turnaround in reviving the economy of Ndigbo. Let me tell you, before now, Ndigbo have been experiencing very bad days in business but I have strong belief that the bridge when completed will open up all businesses in this part of the country and we will be exporting our goods to the rest of the country.”

He further described as unfortunate the condition of the only existing bridge that links South-East to the rest of the world before the intervention of President Jonathan and expressed optimism that the company handling it would deliver the project on time and to specifications.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/second-niger-bridge-jubilation-in-south-east-as-julius-berger-moves-to-site/

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by fagin1982(m): 8:49am On Jul 07, 2013
Lol @ saboteur state..@Topic a great feat..it ll ease pressure on the existing Niger bridge...
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by geeez: 8:51am On Jul 07, 2013
Now they are jubilating over a yet to be built bridge but hurling insults at my Oyo brothers for jubilating over a completed bridge.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by VAQAXY: 8:58am On Jul 07, 2013
geeez: Now they are jubilating over a yet to be built bridge but hurling insults at my Oyo brothers for jubilating over a completed bridge.

Since GEJ has awarded the SND it is already as good as completed. Its not like in the case of obasamjor.

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by stebell(m): 9:06am On Jul 07, 2013
GEJ is working, haters are frowning. I'm not frm de SE, but my frnds who are frm there said the 2nd Niger Bridge will be de best tin that will happen to dat area. Feel de #Fresh Air# every where yu go.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by geeez: 9:08am On Jul 07, 2013
VAQAXY:

Since GEJ has awarded the SND it is already as good as completed. Its not like in the case of obasamjor.

As far as I know, only BRF can say it, mean it and do it
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by kelvin1191(m): 9:11am On Jul 07, 2013
Nice move by d federal govt. Hope d design will be attractive enough. We need Something like suspension bridge that can allow big boats to pass under.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by mrlovefield: 9:11am On Jul 07, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]Idiot u don't have common sense u fink Anambra will be like rubbish oyo that's jubilating over one bridge since 35yrs or u fink we don't know rubbish state like oyo
;DIdiot u don't have common sense u fink Anambra will be like rubbish oyo that's jubilating over one bridge since 35yrs or u fink we don't know rubbish state like oyo

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 07, 2013
Thums up man
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Danhumprey: 9:12am On Jul 07, 2013
I don't mean to insult,but can somebody tell me how important the bridge is?
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by kelvin1191(m): 9:13am On Jul 07, 2013
GEJ is working! Somthing OBJ could not do because of . . .
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Rednaxelot: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2013
OMG!

Another bridge to make these people to come enmass to infest our land
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by chino24: 9:17am On Jul 07, 2013
geeez:

As far as I know, only BRF can say it, mean it and do it

In your 'amala' dream..
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Maxymilliano(m): 9:18am On Jul 07, 2013
It will be said someday that a certain President made this remarkable feat come to fruition ...

Posterity will accord you your rightful position in the history of the country.

God bless the President.

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by mrlovefield: 9:20am On Jul 07, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]GEEEZ Bleep you is oyo state 2 do you mean oyo of ibada old kingdom of yolubas to be compare wt my new anambra first bridge since 35 yrs lolz
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by geeez: 9:25am On Jul 07, 2013
kelvin1191: GEJ is working! Somthing OBJ could not do because of . . .

Some people are bra!nless sha. A suspension bridge is a rigid structure and even if it opens up to allow the passage of boats, how will the boats sail past the existing Niger Bridge

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by geeez: 9:27am On Jul 07, 2013
mrlovefield: [color=#990000][/color]GEEEZ Bleep you is oyo state 2 do you mean oyo of ibada old kingdom of yolubas to be compare wt my new anambra first bridge since 35 yrs lolz

Say what you want, all I know is that despite the claims of Onitsha being very commercial, the GDP of Oyo still doubles, almost triples that of Anambra. How about that?
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by mrlovefield: 10:40am On Jul 07, 2013
Point of correction Anambra is far from oyo for ur notice Anambra has d lowest poverty population rate in federal republic of nigeria (2)Anambra has second density populated state in nigeria with three major city Onitsha aka African dubai Nnewi tiwan or japan of africa Awka capital city of anambra state (3) Anambra has d largest market I west Africa (otu nkwo) main market onitsha(4)Anambra has third lagest outo mobile market in d world other international markets like ochanja market relif market new parts nkpor mgbuka obosi oba international electronics market electromart market eke awka igbo ukwu market trade fair npkor nkwo nnewi oba international market head bridge market all international(5)innoson vehicle manufacturer at nnewi first nigeria to own a vehicle company (6)A-Z oil nnewi chikason ogbuawa costchalis nnewi obi of onitsha owner of diamond bank peter obi owner of fidelis bank ibeto group nnewi cutix cable nnewi gmex company nnewi etc(7)first presdent of nigeria Zik from anambra late people like ojukwu chinue achebe ezego etc (coolAnambra has more than 20 major bridge such as Niger bride onitsha odor bridge upper Iweka bridge obosi bridge nkpor bridge infact I'm tired or do you need more pls let me know

5 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 07, 2013
mrlovefield: Point of correction Anambra is far from oyo for ur notice Anambra has d lowest poverty population rate in federal republic of nigeria (2)Anambra has second density populated state in nigeria with three major city Onitsha aka African dubai Nnewi tiwan or japan of africa Awka capital city of anambra state (3) Anambra has d largest market I west Africa (otu nkwo) main market onitsha(4)Anambra has third lagest outo mobile market in d world other international markets like ochanja market relif market new parts nkpor mgbuka obosi oba international electronics market electromart market eke awka igbo ukwu market trade fair npkor nkwo nnewi oba international market head bridge market all international(5)innoson vehicle manufacturer at nnewi first nigeria to own a vehicle company (6)A-Z oil nnewi chikason ogbuawa costchalis nnewi obi of onitsha owner of diamond bank peter obi owner of fidelis bank ibeto group nnewi cutix cable nnewi gmex company nnewi etc(7)first presdent of nigeria Zik from anambra late people like ojukwu chinue achebe ezego etc (coolAnambra has more than 20 major bridge such as Niger bride onitsha odor bridge upper Iweka bridge obosi bridge nkpor bridge infact I'm tired or do you need more pls let me know

Who is asking you all these non issues? Obviously your life revolve around Anambra and Igbo land only.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Zonacom(m): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2013
Any news with so much exagerations like this one ends up appearing silly, no matter the goodnews therein. Chino my guy, everybody knows you love Anambra state and to some extent the entire SE but stop typing shit everytime. You made it sound like the whole people of onitsha and other places you mentioned celebrated the commencement of the construction of the bridge. I bet 50% of osha residents dont even know about any new bridge about to be built. You dont love Alaigbo morethan other igbos like me so pls stop sounding silly always
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Willywilly6: 10:51am On Jul 07, 2013
kelvin1191: GEJ is working! Somthing OBJ could not do because of . . .
Not only OBJ but all Nigeria former tribal president, Yorubas wished this never happen, to see good thing in another place......Hell No No, that is Yoruba agenda, any good must start from Lagos and end in Ondo.

5 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by otokx(m): 10:51am On Jul 07, 2013
Hope they can include a railway track on the new bridge.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Temismith(f): 11:00am On Jul 07, 2013
Hmm...
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by rapheaders: 11:04am On Jul 07, 2013
my egun oga. na month ending my own ban for that adekunle thread go expiry. so dem don release you. wilywily self don go open number 6. oh boy dat thread was use to shut up those mannerless children. but ileke and desola ti sign mehn.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by tchaik(m): 11:07am On Jul 07, 2013
mrlovefield: (3) Anambra has d largest market I west Africa (otu nkwo) main market onitsha
nwa otu kee ije?
wink wink wink
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by chino24: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2013
Zona.com:
Any news with so much exagerations like this one ends up appearing silly, no matter the goodnews therein. Chino my guy, everybody knows you love Anambra state and to some extent the entire SE but stop typing shit everytime. You made it sound like the whole people of onitsha and other places you mentioned celebrated the commencement of the construction of the bridge. I bet 50% of osha residents dont even know about any new bridge about to be built. You dont love Alaigbo morethan other igbos like me so pls stop sounding silly always

Nwokem stop mentioning my name..

Since when did I become vaqaxy? Or have I also turned to Sunnewsonline?

Ofcourse you are the silly and incoherent one here..

This is the implication of threading with 'umu akwukwo' like you.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 07, 2013
rapheaders: my egun oga. na month ending my own ban for that adekunle thread go expiry. so dem don release you. wilywily self don go open number 6. oh boy dat thread was use to shut up those mannerless children. but ileke and desola ti sign mehn.

cheesy cheesy

I was able to present my case in a concise manner to the Super Mod and fortunately she was receptive and lenient to me...I've however promised her to steer clear of this type of vain glory threads.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by PHIPEX(m): 11:13am On Jul 07, 2013
Danhumprey: I don't mean to insult,but can somebody tell me how important the bridge is?
It's like having only 3rd mainland bridge between Lagos mainland and Lagos Island.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by mrlovefield: 11:15am On Jul 07, 2013
Anambra home 2 thousand of company
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Jubilation In South-east As Julius Berger Moves To Site by rapheaders: 11:21am On Jul 07, 2013
ilugunboy:

cheesy cheesy

I was able to present my case in a concise manner to the Super Mod and fortunately she was receptive and lenient to me...I've however promised her to steer clear of this type of vain glory threads.

you lucky sha. eggheaders na till month end while raphead na till Christmas day. that is why I come change color to this one.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Fashola Angry With Aregbesola? (pix) / Facts About "APC" Controlled States And "PDP" / About ISIS War In The Middle East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.