Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,182 members, 7,780,255 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:22 AM

Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria (17929 Views)

Obasanjo Raises Alarm Over Unemployment / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by stebell(m): 5:23pm On Jul 07, 2013
The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has said the spate of unemployment in the country is giving her sleepless nights.

Okonjo-Iweala said this while inspecting an ultramodern Information and Communications Technology factory of Omatek Nigeria Plc in Lagos on Friday.

She said, "According to the National Bureau of Statistics, each year, about 1.8m young Nigerians enter into our labour market and we need to ensure that our economy provides jobs for them.

"In fact, some people ask, 'What keeps you awake at night, with regard to this economy?' I say it is the issue of job creation. And I know this is what keeps Mr. President (Goodluck Jonathan) awake at night as well.

"That is why we have responded to the challenge of creating jobs by trying to transform several sectors of the economy; from agriculture, where we're expecting to create 3.5m jobs and where the progress of reaching our goal of feeding this country is already well advanced."

The minister said Nigeria lacked institutions on which to build its developmental programmes.

"When you look at Nigeria, for over 50 to 60 years, we've been working without the key institutions that some other people have. We keep making stopgap solutions. For 50 years, we didn't have a Bureau for Public Procurement; for 50 years, we didn't have a Debt Management Office.

"So many of the institutions that we have now are new and if you stand back, you'll see there are still many gaps. It is now our job to try to fill those gaps."

Okonjo-Iweala said the Federal Government was putting in place more initiatives to encourage small and medium scale enterprises.

She noted that the Central Bank of Nigeria had put in place a N200bn guaranty fund for SME's to access bank loans.

Okonjo-Iweala said, "Let me mention that the Minister of Information and Communications technology has started a Venture Capital Fund with about $15m, which is being financed by the government and other donors.

"The idea behind it is to help support innovative enterprises in the field of ICT. This is designed to lift up some of the young people in Computer Village doing all sorts of innovations."

She asked investors to encourage public investment in their businesses and to list their companies on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

The minister said the capital market had been revamped to allow the listing of SMEs through the Alternative Securities Market.

According to her, the platform has made it easier for SMEs to list their companies and to raise additional resources from the capital market.

She added that there were advisers to help small scale investors meet their listing requirements and to help them on how to get listed.

The minister, who described the stock market as a challenging one due to "infrastructural bottlenecks," said in spite of the challenges, companies had kept growing and maintained high quality standards.

She noted that ICT remained one of the main platforms for the creation of jobs, adding that e-commerce was striving in Nigeria, while more companies were carrying out transactions online.

http://www.punchng.com/news/unemployment-giving-me-sleepless-nights-okonjo-iweala/

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by stebell(m): 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2013
Continue to hv sleepless nite until youths in dis country hv jobs to put food on their table.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by immortalvoices(m): 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2013
Ma'm that you have arknowledged this fact, is a step in the right direction. My prayer is that God direct you on how to tackle I mean solve this problem..

Only then can you sleep in peace.

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by kkkp: 6:30pm On Jul 07, 2013
E b lyk sey dey wan tell us wetin we never hear b4 ooo***tuface voice***grin grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
All na wash... Make we de feel say she send

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by takedat(m): 6:46pm On Jul 07, 2013
Ofe ma pe aja lobo fun mi se mo kola! shocked

Even the corrupt and incompetent political office holders will say the same! Jobs, Jobs and more Jobs is all we need, not story and not empathy! Economic growth without jobs is Jobless Growth!

10 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mama God bless you and GEJ for having the interest of the people at heart.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2013
Toolz - Gen Buhari, What keeps
you awake at night?

Buhari - it is the issue of how JTF are showing My boko haram boys shege oh!! Walahi! I don't want any of them to mention my name!!

Toolz - Chief tinibu, What keeps
you awake at night?

Tinibu - Ahh!!my daughter, what else if not the issue of which of my grandchildren will become the next lagos Market leader!!

45 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Danhumprey: 8:49pm On Jul 07, 2013
It should give you sleepless night oh. You can't afford to sleep when there are people out there who can't afford a decent meal.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 07, 2013
homesteady: Toolz - Gen Buhari, What keeps
you awake at night?

Buhari - it is the issue of how JTF are showing My boko haram boys shege oh!! Walahi! I don't want any of them to mention my name!!

Toolz - Chief tinibu, What keeps
you awake at night?

Tinibu - Ahh!!my daughter, what else if not the issue of which of my grandchildren will become the next lagos Market leader!!
I looked at your profile pic and couldn't help but feel sorry for the gaunt, hungry looking kid, trying to hide his crossed eyes that I seen.

You're too young to have all that hate in u.

P.S: ur eyes could've been easily fixed if ur govt provided you with the security of health insurance; that's what Buhari is trying to ensure u get.

45 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 12:57am On Jul 08, 2013
kingoflag: I looked at your profile pic and couldn't help but feel sorry for the gaunt, hungry looking kid, trying to hide his crossed eyes that I seen.

You're too young to have all that hate in u.

P.S: ur eyes could've been easily fixed if ur govt provided you with the security of health insurance; that's what Buhari is trying to ensure u get.

LOLss!! So you had to study my picture before quoting me!! Please I'll love to see your picture!!
BTW what does a crossed eye mean?? Never heard of that before!!

7 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Garrithe1st: 1:16am On Jul 08, 2013
LIE...

You wake up every night to get "Slammed" by GEJ... That's what keeps you awake....

cool cool

12 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by mensdept: 2:09am On Jul 08, 2013
Borrowing money from China is whats giving her headache, as well as having to on gen everyday in "Rich" country.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by bloggernaija: 3:47am On Jul 08, 2013
HAHA .You do not need voodoo economics from the worldbank to know where the problem lies ?your ogas at the top (men promoted beyond their stations) and the voodoo economics.
If you need a lecture on how to create jobs,give fashola a call , take a trip to lekki free trade zone and Eco Atlantic both of which are still a rough diamond.
The governor is simply providing the legal and physical infrastructure for business to thrive.
If you can't be bothered ,I will supply the answer in one words.
IMAGINATION.

If you cannot imagine it, you can't dream or live it.

The video below shows Steve jobs predicting the iPhone,tablet ,google maps ,ecommerce etc as far back as 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bPMssBQkcQ

24 year later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SignzWdr0Tk

9 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by tomakint: 4:11am On Jul 08, 2013
We can see that heart felt concern from you Ma through the laudable initiatives targeted towards youths employment in this country from this Jonathan's government! I pray that in no short distance, many more youths will be taken off the streets to be self-employed! God bless you Ma cool

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by stebell(m): 8:38am On Jul 08, 2013
How do some one approach de bank for a small loan to enable me start ma own biz? Ma'am, I kno yu trying. But yu do better.

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by AbuMikey(m): 9:41am On Jul 08, 2013
homesteady:

LOLss!! So you had to study my picture before quoting me!! Please I'll love to see your picture!!
BTW what does a crossed eye mean?? Never heard of that before!!
Crossed eye na "Quater Past Two" eyes!!! Like Ibrahim Shekarau eyes!!!

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 08, 2013
Authority stealing,executive madness and official corruption are also giving me sleepless nights !

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 08, 2013
I BET SHE GO RIGHT BACK TO SLEEP AFTER EATING A BOWL OF ISI-EWU

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Shalome(m): 10:15am On Jul 08, 2013
Okonjo bhet y u dey bobo us na?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Fiawest(m): 10:15am On Jul 08, 2013
Turn am into Vigil.....nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by collynzo2(m): 10:17am On Jul 08, 2013
It gives Linda Ikeji and Seun more traffic and money. They aren't complaining.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by k2039: 10:17am On Jul 08, 2013
A truck load of Valium will help[img]http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/39508800.jpg[/img]

16 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 08, 2013
Nonsense! We've heard her but let her go and sit down! How many of her family members and relatives are unemployed to match with the current trend of unemployment in the country? I bet no one! Who is deceiving who?

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by israel007: 10:19am On Jul 08, 2013
With all due respect ma'am you don't look like a person who doesn't sleep

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by 4chi: 10:20am On Jul 08, 2013
Sleepless nights? You never lose weight na? And your cheeks are still as rosy as ever.

Most likely mr iweala is the one giving you sleepless nights lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

8 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 08, 2013
If it gives you ma sleepless nite,what will happen to people going tru it. And what did u do to ameliorate the situation,rather than all ur hogwash theory.abeg park well,

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Sijo01(f): 10:24am On Jul 08, 2013
Take sleepingquine, ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by ichommy(m): 10:24am On Jul 08, 2013
If i hear, God will forgive with dat statement wey u talk, shebi u just purchase another new Samsung A/C for your room, nah Yuzedo fix the new A/C.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by devour129: 10:26am On Jul 08, 2013
I doubt it Ngozi ! Even if you have some days of sleepless nights its because you are thinking of all the money you have amassed n what your children's children will do with it. Ugly woman with an ugly heart.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 08, 2013
LIARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria by trolling(m): 10:28am On Jul 08, 2013
That sleepless night na for mouth, una never see anything yet once they put an end to the petrodollar and see how it's gonna affect the global economy, I go see Wetin una go do when America won't be able to buy una oil, they already have Nafta set up in place for that, Canada go supply USA with oil then and then would you know the definition of unemployment, didn't mean to burst yall bubbles but it's imminent or why do you think they have BRICS in place . I'm not a gloom and doom person but it's around the corner

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Election: Army Arrests IPOB Members With Anti-Anambra Election Flyers / President Buhari Commissions Tulsi Chanrai Foundation Eye Hospital [photos] / EndSARS: Nigerian Youths Do Not Begin, End In Lagos - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.